PDA

View Full Version : City going ahead with $5m study on hosting olympics

finboy
06-21-2016, 12:35 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/winter-olympic-bid-calgary-2026-nenshi-council-sports-tourism-authority-1.3643172

This just has bad idea written all over it

RealJimmyJames
06-21-2016, 12:40 PM
I don't think we want to be "world class" enough to host this corrupt festival of corporate greed and government excess.

masoncgy
06-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Doesn't Calgary hold the distinction of being the last Olympic games that was actually profitable?

Not sure why the city feels it needs to host it again, or feels that they would be looked at as a possible location for the games again given how many other cities in other countries who haven't held the games would be considered first.

finboy
06-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by masoncgy
Doesn't Calgary hold the distinction of being the last Olympic games that was actually profitable?

Not sure why the city feels it needs to host it again, or feels that they would be looked at as a possible location for the games again given how many other cities in other countries who haven't held the games would be considered first.

A lot of cities refuse to bid anymore, I believe the 2022 games only have 2 cities bidding, 1 of which is in Kazakhstan. Hosting the olympics have become silly expensive, Rio de Janeiro has recently claimed a financial state of emergency due to the costs associated with the World Cup and the olympics. That said, it doesn't surprise me that this city council has no problem on the prospect of spending one something that will be a fiscal blue...er...black hole

Xtrema
06-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Let China do it, they are loaded.

Unless Fed money is going to pay for all of it, including all of our LRT expansions, then it's ok.

JRSC00LUDE
06-21-2016, 01:11 PM
What a joke. As said, why do people still support this corrupt waste of time?

M.alex
06-21-2016, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Because it's the right thing to do!

asp integra
06-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Wow, I am in a completely different boat than everyone on here. I strongly support hosting the Olympics again and I have had conversations with friends about it over the years. I think Calgary is a prefect city to host again, and I think we would be given the olympics again if we do put in a bid. The 88 olympics was a huge boost for Calgary and gave worldwide attention to our great city. I hope we get to host again in 2026!:goflames:

Maxt
06-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Just think how much your baby blue OCO sunice jacket will be worth then!

Xtrema
06-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Vancouver got Canada line.

Toronto got UP Express.

If Feds pays for our LRT expansion, and most of infrastructure, why the hell not?

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Unless Fed money is going to pay for all of it, including all of our LRT expansions, then it's ok.

You're being sarcastic on the notion of Fed money, right?

Because conformity is our education system. You would think that "critical thought" would be 101, but it doesn't even exist.

lilmira
06-21-2016, 01:31 PM
If you build it, they will come. :rolleyes:

Mibz
06-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Man, you can buy a lot of bike lanes with that Federal $$$

roopi
06-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
Wow, I am in a completely different boat than everyone on here. I strongly support hosting the Olympics again and I have had conversations with friends about it over the years. I think Calgary is a prefect city to host again, and I think we would be given the olympics again if we do put in a bid. The 88 olympics was a huge boost for Calgary and gave worldwide attention to our great city. I hope we get to host again in 2026!:goflames:

:werd:

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 01:40 PM
A financial gain or loss is debatable.

It's optics that matter in this regard.

Manhattan
06-21-2016, 01:41 PM
$5 mil for a study? I know a million isn't what it used to be but still seems steep. Government pissing away money as usual.

InRich
06-21-2016, 02:04 PM
What a fucking waste of good tax payer dollars. I swear this fucking country just LOVES to WASTE money anywhere they can. its pathetic, and it fucking fires me up. I work really hard for everything I earn. They just waste it anywhere they can. Who fucking cares right?

Look at Ontario's debt right now. its insane!

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by InRich
What a fucking waste of good tax payer dollars. I swear this fucking country just LOVES to WASTE money anywhere they can. its pathetic, and it fucking fires me up. I work really hard for everything I earn. They just waste it anywhere they can. Who fucking cares right?

Look at Ontario's debt right now. its insane!

It's not OUR money, the Gubment pays for it ;)

btimbit
06-21-2016, 02:28 PM
I'd be all for it, if the NHL is sending players again by then. Otherwise, don't care

Xtrema
06-21-2016, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

You're being sarcastic on the notion of Fed money, right?

No. The Fed paid for most of Canada Line in Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Which from planing to completion is a 7+ year, $2B project.

If Calgary can get some Fed pork out of it for something we need anyway, why not?

HiTempguy1
06-21-2016, 02:52 PM
The problem with that is that it all comes out of the same trough. You get more now maybe, but in the end it all balances out/at somepoint later on it will be your tax dollars paying for something else elsewhere in the country.

Also, if you think the libtards are going to spend a f&%king dime on Alberta, you've gone crazy :nut:

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 02:57 PM

No. The Fed paid for most of Canada Line in Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Olympics. Which from planing to completion is a 7+ year, $2B project.

Maybe we're on a different page here, but there is no such thing as "Government funded / money". It's all taxpayer's money.

msommers
06-21-2016, 03:07 PM
Do we even realistically have a shot at hosting again?

InRich
06-21-2016, 03:22 PM
^ of course we have no shot. Its just another way to waste tax payer dollars, and make em all look like their doing something. fucking buncha losers. makes me sick. and its fucking raining outside and I gotta go door knocking for some leads. fuck my life.

JRSC00LUDE
06-21-2016, 03:56 PM

If Calgary can get some Fed pork out of it for something we need anyway, why not?

Maybe they'll use your transfer payments for it!

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 04:21 PM
I'm not even sure this matters. Heck, it's 10 years from now.

We'll all be broke by then anyway :banghead:

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
$5 mil for a study?

Ya, so there's that too.

Give me a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and a hooker. The study will be on your desk in the morning.

kertejud2
06-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Do we even realistically have a shot at hosting again?

Yes. European cities keep backing out, plus they had Sochi in 2014. Two Asian games in a row sets up a North American frontrunner for 2026 so if there isn't an American challenger a Calgary bid would be the likely favorite until the bribe money gets involved.

Maybe we're on a different page here, but there is no such thing as "Government funded / money". It's all taxpayer's money.

That the government collects and allocates to fund things. Are we back to the same page now?

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2
That the government collects and allocates to fund things. Are we back to the same page now?

Obviously not.

My point is those that claim, "It's not my money, the government is paying for it".

As if the gub grows money, or just prints it ;)

Minimalist
06-21-2016, 06:01 PM
The 2026 PM will be a certain purple pear shaped pod from the world class city of Calgary, nothing but win here, nothing but win. The city can also piggyback on the Olympics fed money for the new Flames arena, etc. So there's that.

Five million bucks hardly fills a baller garage in Calgary anymore, so spend away.

Allowing China to host it will be a bigger win, it would be nice to see if they can cheat on a bigger scale than the Russians. Who is #1?

Xtrema
06-21-2016, 07:04 PM

Maybe they'll use your transfer payments for it!

At least it iss coming back here instead of buying Frenchie votes.

It's all taxpayer money, but if this whole selling stuff we dig out of ground doesn't work out, may as well get some Fed money for much needed projects.

Doesn't hurt to be PEI for a bit now and then.

JRSC00LUDE
06-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Got me there! :D

Seth1968
06-21-2016, 08:51 PM

It's all taxpayer money, but if this whole selling stuff we dig out of ground doesn't work out, may as well get some Fed money for much needed projects.

Doesn't hurt to be PEI for a bit now and then.

Ok, good point.

But now your racist (PEI), and your kids must die.

sexualbanana
06-22-2016, 09:57 AM
It's been ridiculously expensive because a lot of these host cities (or prospective host cities) didn't have the existing infrastructure to work with, and a lot of them were designed for single-use. I believe almost all the baseball diamonds in Beijing were demolished and turned into strip malls within three months.

I think a lot of our facilities will need to be updated, but it's not like we'd have to build a lot from scratch.

Xtrema
06-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I think a lot of our facilities will need to be updated, but it's not like we'd have to build a lot from scratch.

The only issue I see is that we will submit a responsible bid and not get it because IOC wants to expand Oval to 10,000 seat and COP need a new jump that extends beyond Highway 1.

Mibz
06-22-2016, 11:27 AM
COP need a new jump that extends beyond Highway 1. I, uh....

I'm on board for this.

msommers
06-22-2016, 11:45 AM
"Are you looking to get from Cougar Ridge to Hamptons but just don't want to deal with traffic? Try our new flying carpet system courtesy of COP"

Sugarphreak
06-22-2016, 11:53 AM