PDA

View Full Version : Loud exhuast bylaw complaints

MR2-3SGTE
06-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Anyone have any experience with this?

My neighbour across the street with a loud truck said bylaw came to his door and told him to start his truck and rev it to 2k due to a complaint. He suspects it was a lady at the end of the street who's always on her porch smoking ciggs, watching everyone.
I have a loud bike and I have a feeling I might get called on as well. She picked up her phone started dialling as soon as I started my bike this morning.
Question is, can bylaw actually force me to pull my bike out of the garage, start it up, and rev it?

For the record, the lady has never spoken with either of us, and we don't rev our engines, or start up late at night or early morning. In fact, I let my bike idle for about a minute before moving it onto another street to let it finish warming up, so as not to disturb anyone. It's not a straight pipe either, its a Taylormade slip-on with dual mufflers. My neighbours truck has an audible low humming that I can hear from inside my house, but it's far from being disrupting to me.

firebane
06-23-2016, 12:57 PM
The real question is what is too loud? And how do they intend to measure or enforce?

JustinMCS
06-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by firebane
The real question is what is too loud? And how do they intend to measure or enforce?

Really? It's all in the bylaws.

"Noise measured at 96 decibels (dBA) or more as measured by a sound pressure level meter at any point of reception. Where “Point of reception” means any location where sound levels are measured with a sound pressure level meter."

lilmira
06-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Claim that the bike belongs to your wife. The complaint is nothing less than an attack on women and it will not be tolerated.

firebane
06-23-2016, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

"Noise measured at 96 decibels (dBA) or more as measured by a sound pressure level meter at any point of reception. Where “Point of reception” means any location where sound levels are measured with a sound pressure level meter."

Should we get rage involved regarding this whole sound measuring decibel crap? Probably could send him off on a rant about it.

heavyD
06-23-2016, 01:10 PM
The thing about complaints is that you just never know who did it. You can assume it was that lady but it could be your next door neighbor even if you have a good relationship. Some people may feel it's easier to alert the city than confront you on it.

Mitsu3000gt
06-23-2016, 01:11 PM
Not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but I've had neighbors before who let their diesel trucks warm up for like 10-15 mins in the morning at 5-6 AM and they are loud enough to wake up the entire cul-del-sac. Super annoying. No idea if it would fail a noise test or not but it's more than loud enough to be a daily nuisance. Thankfully I don't live anywhere near that d-bag anymore.

Thaco
06-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

"Noise measured at 96 decibels (dBA) or more as measured by a sound pressure level meter at any point of reception. Where “Point of reception” means any location where sound levels are measured with a sound pressure level meter." a nice loose definition, its what the courts love... you rev most cars WOT, especially sports cars, even stock, and they'll hit that... so much grey.

"and rev it to 2k, (shit, only at 90dBA), and bring it up to 5k (aww yeah there we go, 96.1dBA, cha ching!)"

rage2
06-23-2016, 01:37 PM
Should we get rage involved regarding this whole sound measuring decibel crap? Probably could send him off on a rant about it.
Stuff the meter into the exhaust pipe of a stock Corolla and you'll blast past the limit because there is no definition for distance of measurement which makes this bylaw retarded.

That's my summary rant haha.

snowcat
06-23-2016, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
Anyone have any experience with this?

My neighbour across the street with a loud truck said bylaw came to his door and told him to start his truck and rev it to 2k due to a complaint. He suspects it was a lady at the end of the street who's always on her porch smoking ciggs, watching everyone.
I have a loud bike and I have a feeling I might get called on as well. She picked up her phone started dialling as soon as I started my bike this morning.
Question is, can bylaw actually force me to pull my bike out of the garage, start it up, and rev it?

For the record, the lady has never spoken with either of us, and we don't rev our engines, or start up late at night or early morning. In fact, I let my bike idle for about a minute before moving it onto another street to let it finish warming up, so as not to disturb anyone. It's not a straight pipe either, its a Taylormade slip-on with dual mufflers. My neighbours truck has an audible low humming that I can hear from inside my house, but it's far from being disrupting to me.

Your taylor made is loud compared to stock, trust me.

Sugarphreak
06-23-2016, 01:49 PM

Aleks
06-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Found pic of Op's neighbor at end of street.

http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/2015/06/15/druhfarrell.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

MR2-3SGTE
06-23-2016, 02:38 PM
Don't cops pull people over all the time to measure noise level? I thought it was a common practice with a fixed procedure of measuring from a certain distance at a certain RPM.

Although for a bylaw complaint, it does make sense to do the measuring from where the complainer is located, since this wouldn't be a traffic violation if the vehicle isn't being driven. I was surprised they even had the authority to ask my neighbour to start up his truck and rev it only based on a complaint.

@snowcat, anything is loud compared to the stock scooter exhaust. I literally couldn't even tell if the engine was running when idling.
The Taylormade exhaust is actually the only exhaust I've had that is almost completely masked out by wind noise while cruising. 2bro's and Toce are what I would consider loud. The bike is a '15 cbr1000rr.

Xtrema
06-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Don't cops pull people over all the time to measure noise level? I thought it was a common practice with a fixed procedure of measuring from a certain distance at a certain RPM.

Look up the noise snare thread. The bylaw is stupid because people came up with it has 0 scientific understanding how noise should be measured.

88CRX
06-23-2016, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/2015/06/15/druhfarrell.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

:rofl: :rofl:

Tell them you sold the bike in question and continue on with your life.

toastgremlin
06-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Put an eBay rev limiter on it and set spark cut to 1500 rpm?

Then figure out how to make your exhaust more annoying without increasing the volume. I suggest whistle tips.

revelations
06-23-2016, 03:38 PM

That's the same as having bylaw come over and ask you to urinate in public so that they can write you a ticket.

Its a bylaw offense that they are investigating and should not ask you to break it deliberately - even if its too loud.

Unless they are at the scene with a meter when you happen to leave with the bike, they are SOL.

POLITELY refuse.

Sugarphreak
06-23-2016, 03:44 PM

sr20s14zenki
06-23-2016, 04:01 PM
like this one? hahahaha

JZD-ADArwXo

So, 96db thing is ACTUALLY a bylaw? I thought they scrapped it due to it being written incorrectly? Or was that the noise snare program.

rx7_turbo2
06-23-2016, 04:01 PM
Hopefully I'm not the only one that gets this.

*Edit* Got beat to the punch :rofl:

Woooot Woooooo

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/98/9801887a77ab1f40bbd49421e1c264a1fb62cb1d6969958e37c49d6abb89a8fa.jpg

firebane
06-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin

Then figure out how to make your exhaust more annoying without increasing the volume. I suggest whistle tips.

BBzl5VXGjk4

blairtruck
06-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin

they go WOOOO WOOOOO

ricosuave
06-23-2016, 07:49 PM

BBzl5VXGjk4

hahahahahahahaha

BokCh0y
06-23-2016, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

D88
06-24-2016, 07:40 AM
It's pretty rare that I ever hear a vehicle that I would consider to be too loud but when I do, it's almost always a Harley motorcycle or custom chopper. How the fuck does something so small become so loud? That shit is deafening at times when one goes flying by on the road near me. Those are the people who should be affected by a noise bylaw which is pretty cut and dry, not someone who you have to first decide whether to ticket by using a decibel meter.

r3ccOs
06-24-2016, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by D88
It's pretty rare that I ever hear a vehicle that I would consider to be too loud but when I do, it's almost always a Harley motorcycle or custom chopper. How the fuck does something so small become so loud? That shit is deafening at times when one goes flying by on the road near me. Those are the people who should be affected by a noise bylaw which is pretty cut and dry, not someone who you have to first decide whether to ticket by using a decibel meter.

I dunno... I put an AFE 4" on my ecoboost and its far from obnoxious as it is a Ecoboost... where as my neighbor has dual 3" flow masters on his 5.0, which is so loud it wakes the neighbor's kids from across the street up every time he fires it up...

Those guys with their DEF delete, downpipes and huge pipes on their Cummins are also obnoxiously and unnecessarily loud.

Hallowed_point
06-24-2016, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but I've had neighbors before who let their diesel trucks warm up for like 10-15 mins in the morning at 5-6 AM and they are loud enough to wake up the entire cul-del-sac. Super annoying. No idea if it would fail a noise test or not but it's more than loud enough to be a daily nuisance. Thankfully I don't live anywhere near that d-bag anymore. I had the same issue at my old condo. D-bag in his spray can painted cummins who would park outside the building @ 2 AM to pick up his drugs or ? Of course, a diesel engine cannot re-start if you shut it off @ 2 AM in the summer so he had to idle it for 20 minutes while he played on his phone. All of a sudden, he got the message when pennies started raining on the roof of his dodge ;)

The great part about my new building is that the parkade is too low for most trucks and I don't face the surface parking anymore. Still ignorant. That and most Harley guys. If your bike is that loud, it shouldn't be so slow.

zipdoa
06-24-2016, 09:13 AM
I had a feeling this how the law would play out, instead of busting all the annoying bikes parading up and down 17th.

Hallowed_point
06-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Calgary Transit's bus's sure are loud at full throttle. Oh, but that's different.

403ep3
06-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but I've had neighbors before who let their diesel trucks warm up for like 10-15 mins in the morning at 5-6 AM and they are loud enough to wake up the entire cul-del-sac. Super annoying. No idea if it would fail a noise test or not but it's more than loud enough to be a daily nuisance. Thankfully I don't live anywhere near that d-bag anymore.

My neighbor does this. I like him and all, but it sure is loud in the morning..

Cooked Rice
06-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Calgary Transit's bus's sure are loud at full throttle. Oh, but that's different.

:werd:

City buses are loud AF.

Some old dodge diesel owner in my building plugs his truck in anytime it dips below 20c :rolleyes:

BerserkerCatSplat
06-24-2016, 02:10 PM

BBzl5VXGjk4

:rofl: Hahahaha, when he drives down the street.

Minimalist
06-24-2016, 02:58 PM
If you need to ask if your vehicle is too loud... it fucking well is. The upside to all the loud bikes, they are organ donors as a rule, according to a nurse I spoke to in the IU Unit two years ago. A bed was taken by a biker who was minding his own business when his bike went down at the hands of a semi tire exploding in the next lane. All at 110 Kms/hr.

As for the d-bag diesel truck owners, a no-idle law like the one in BC would be welcomed.

Alberta is so far behind the curve. Easier to move than wait for it all to be made right. Maybe when the oil runs out the province will be run unlike a weekend in Las Vegas.

zipdoa
06-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Yeah, one is providing an efficient public service with huge net benefit.

The other is disturbing the peace to generate attention in an attempt to quench various insecurities.

Seth1968
06-24-2016, 05:21 PM
What is the point of a deliberate loud exhaust?

Are you so deficient in mentality that you think your loudness is something that scares others?

No, we just think you're an inconsiderate POS.

M.alex
06-24-2016, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Are you so deficient in mentality that you think your loudness is something that scares others?

go suckle on a juicy penis.

most of my cars are heads/cam/stroked&poked V8s with straight pipes .... loud exhaust is a-w-e-s-o-m-e

bjstare
06-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Says the guy on a car enthusiast forum, in a car-specific section. Haha, douchebag.

Minimalist
06-25-2016, 09:08 AM
^^^ I see some user points taking a hit. Bye m.Alex sitting on 90 points. cjblair, I'd not miss ya if you too were deep-sixed (feet not inches like you'll be thinking no doubt).^^^ Need height restrictions on Beyond, pretty certain some members are below 5'6", only going on their views regarding the childlike noise a vehicle makes and the need to insult members expressing adult views.

sr20s14zenki
06-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Says the guy on a car enthusiast forum, in a car-specific section. Haha, douchebag.

Missed his pills yesterday.

Rat Fink
06-25-2016, 10:53 AM

bjstare
06-25-2016, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Minimalist
^^^ I see some user points taking a hit. Bye m.Alex sitting on 90 points. cjblair, I'd not miss ya if you too were deep-sixed (feet not inches like you'll be thinking no doubt).^^^ Need height restrictions on Beyond, pretty certain some members are below 5'6", only going on their views regarding the childlike noise a vehicle makes and the need to insult members expressing adult views.

Haha telling me to die and making dick jokes. Better make a couple more posts before your parents kick you off the computer. :rolleyes:

revelations
06-25-2016, 11:06 AM
I love a deep, bass note exhaust however it shouldn't be obnoxious. The problem lies in determining where that line is.

My (always Vtwin) bikes required me to wear ear plugs in the city (otherwise a short ride would incite Tinnitus), but the exhaust note was deep and not "Harleyed" in any way (straight pipes). Does this mean my exhaust was obnoxiously loud? :dunno:

revelations
06-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Minimalist
The upside to all the loud bikes, they are organ donors as a rule, according to a nurse I spoke to in the IU Unit two years ago.

Very sophisticated logic.

- 100% of loud bikers are involved in a fatality
- 0% of quiet bikers are involved in fatalities

Perhaps a slight correction is needed.

- most of the riders in the Merg tend to be young kids who scored a crotch rocket, rode around in shorts and tshirts and binned it in some corner or intersection where they were riding too fast and got hit by a vehicle. They didnt even have time to mod their brand new R1.

Minimalist
06-25-2016, 11:25 AM

Haha telling me to die and making dick jokes. Better make a couple more posts before your parents kick you off the computer. :rolleyes:

I'll certainly not be the first to say this, you're really your worst enemy. I'll leave it at that, I'm not your Dr. Phil.

Minimalist
06-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Very sophisticated logic.

- 100% of loud bikers are involved in a fatality
- 0% of quiet bikers are involved in fatalities

Perhaps a slight correction is needed.

- most of the riders in the Merg tend to be young kids who scored a crotch rocket, rode around in shorts and tshirts and binned it in some corner or intersection where they were riding too fast and got hit by a vehicle. They didnt even have time to mod their brand new R1.

To be clear, I am not wishing any harm to anyone, loud biker or crotch rocket rider. My logic is to keep in mind people are decent even if they are assholes by being a disruption to those around them. I'm opposed to all unnecessary noise pollution, I'd think any right thinking person would agree with this point. If one is pro noise pollution, it is a different conversation, one I'd walk away from as the effort is a waste of time. Ignorance has no place in my day.

MR2-3SGTE
06-25-2016, 01:24 PM
I'm sure there's very few people who enjoy loud exhausts just for the sake of being loud. Most of the time, loud noise is just the byproduct of having a nicer sound to enjoy.
Riding my bike is so much more enjoyable when it's actually audible. It's unfortunate that it also has to be audible for others as well.

And it's not just for the operator, I also enjoy listening to the exhausts of other admirable bikes/cars. What is considered pollution is debatable.

ercchry
06-25-2016, 01:39 PM
I don't enjoy the loud fucking aircraft that magically started flying over my sw home... Which I still can't figure out... But live and let live.... It's people like minimalist that have made sure we will never have a race track within 30min of Calgary

Ps: user points are only a market place thing (losing them only happens there, and dipping below 90 only changes posting status there)

EK 2.0
06-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Ps: user points are only a market place thing (losing them only happens there, and dipping below 90 only changes posting status there)

You are half right....the drop below 90 only messes up your abilities in the marketplace...but you can potentially lose user rating points anywhere....

btimbit
06-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Some exhausts sound good though:dunno:

Even cheap cars

There's a huge difference between this:
vPPuQbAl-Cc?t=10s

and this

0gkZSLsOHBI?t=2s

Abeo
06-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Some exhausts sound good though:dunno:

Even cheap cars

There's a huge difference between this:
vPPuQbAl-Cc?t=10s

and this

0gkZSLsOHBI?t=2s

I'd hate to have either on my street at 6 am

90_Shelby
06-30-2016, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I love a deep, bass note exhaust however it shouldn't be obnoxious. The problem lies in determining where that line is.

My (always Vtwin) bikes required me to wear ear plugs in the city (otherwise a short ride would incite Tinnitus), but the exhaust note was deep and not "Harleyed" in any way (straight pipes). Does this mean my exhaust was obnoxiously loud? :dunno:

Yes.

Seth1968
07-01-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by M.alex

go suckle on a juicy penis.

most of my cars are heads/cam/stroked&poked V8s with straight pipes .... loud exhaust is a-w-e-s-o-m-e

As I suspected, no legitimate reply to my question, just low level insults.

If you haven't noticed cjblair, Beyond has gone well beyond a car forum. Further to that, an obnoxiously loud exhaust exhaust isn't a requirement to appreciate a nice sounding exhaust, or a nice car in general.

For most that deliberately have loud obnoxious exhausts (especially Harleys), it's a matter of, "Hey, pay attention to me. I'm a bad ass". The irony of such a delusional thought, is that almost all other people think the exact opposite.

The fundamental issue is not nearly as relevant in daily traffic, as it is to our neighborhood environment. That is, when your vehicle is so deliberately loud that it wakes people from sleep, then you should be taught a lesson. Especially if that disturbance is waking up that parent who finally got that baby shut the hell up and sleep.

Solution? Ban sleep and reproduction.

Or, Never mind the nuances of such a "technical" law. If such such an above scenario exists, the right thing to do would be to politely approach the offender and explain the situation. If that fails, get reports from the neighbors and pursue tickets / charges from that.

Now the "right" thing to do, might become the worst thing you can do. Reason being, the perpetrator has a specific emotional problem and will likely see your concerns as a personal attack on his self worth, and then attack YOU.

If I had it my way, the perpetrator would have to listen to his obnoxious sound at a very loud level for a few days. Their so called go to gangsta song will be no more. That's a heck more effective and cheaper. And you probably don't want to get me started on the state of our judicial system.

BUT WAIT! there's more. The problems in our judicial system are often blamed on the judicial system as a whole. But, the judicial system has almost NOTHING to do with justice (unless you're rich and already belong to the elite).

/Start rant