PDA

View Full Version : What causes wipers to go bad??

JohnnyHockey
06-28-2016, 06:44 PM
I just bought these Bosch wipers 3 months ago and out of nowhere I get a big streak when I use them. ..I barely use them as I use a squeegee every day when I come home from work. I know it's the wiper itself because I took it apart and flipped the blade over and tried and the streak is still there just in the opposite position, i wiped down the entire windshield too...and I can't visually see any damage. ..so what causes wipers to go bad? ! Driving me nuts because now I have to drop another $25 for new ones because I am obsessed with having a flawless windshield at all times.

jcox20
06-28-2016, 06:50 PM
I always wash and dry my wiper blades by hand when I'm washing the rest of my car and also never use them if my windshield has ice on it and i usually get a few years before they start to go to hell fwiw

Seth1968
06-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Welcome to the world of crap and nickle and dime you to death.

JohnnyHockey
06-28-2016, 07:12 PM
Crazy because I've used these pricier Bosch ones before and they've been fine before and I put these in first week of April so they haven't seen snow or much dirt and I don't park under a tree. .I'm hoping it's just a defect. ..

I guess reno depot sells the basic Bosch model for $11.99 so I'll give those a shot.

HiSpec
06-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Before spending more money into new wipers, I suggest you to take a bit of time to throughly clean your windshield. By that I mean, full decontamination using razor blade and soapy water (high concentration dawn or glass cleaner if you are baller) for lube, wipe down the glass with glass cleaner then follow by claybar with the same lube and clean again.

Since the rubber blades are porous, so they'll easily soak in contaminates. It's best to soak/clean them with IPA and APC until the blades don't turn your towel black when you dry them. After treat them with 303 aerospace protectant.

JohnnyHockey
06-28-2016, 08:12 PM
Well I know its not the windshield because I flipped the blade over and the streak was on the opposite end. ...can you explain what I PA and APC are? Sounds like they'd cost almost as much as new blades lol

HiSpec
06-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
Well I know its not the windshield because I flipped the blade over and the streak was on the opposite end. ...can you explain what I PA and APC are? Sounds like they'd cost almost as much as new blades lol

IPA is rubbing alcohol
APC is All-purpose cleaner

I always recommend people to do a thorough cleaning of their windshield once a year.

JohnnyHockey
06-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Ok. ...thanks, I will give that a shot!

Toyota Racing
06-29-2016, 01:56 AM
Try applying rain x to the glass too, could help extend the life of the wipers.

The_Penguin
06-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Not that I'm cheap, but to extend the life of my wipers, sometimes I use a chemical called something like "rubber renue" to soften up hard UV baked wipers.
The chemical is designed for rubber rollers (printers, tape deck drives etc.) to I usually have a bottle on-hand, and seems to work well for wipers. YMMV.
Also need to really clean the windshield.

I last did mine in the fall, and I left the used wipes with the chemical in the garage garbage.
Mrs. Penguin asked why the garage smelled like peppermint.

I did eventually replace the blades on my CTS this spring, after 6 years, having treated them twice.

88CRX
06-29-2016, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

IPA is rubbing alcohol
APC is All-purpose cleaner

I always recommend people to do a thorough cleaning of their windshield once a year.

Does a clay bar pull all the shit off the windshield?

HiTempguy1
06-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Wiper blades are maintenance items on the order of ~ every 6 months. Winters are especially brutal, and with all the sun we get, UV damage to the rubber.

This is why I buy the cheapest blades possible and replace them as suggested. :dunno:

I wouldn't coat your blades in anything. Additionally, BRAND NEW blades should be wiped down with the aforementioned rubbing alcohol before installation.

HiSpec
06-29-2016, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Does a clay bar pull all the shit off the windshield?

Not all that's why I do a pass with the razor blade before I use the clay. I have a clay bar that's dedicated for glass. It usually last me a few years if I keep it in a sealed box.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Wiper blades are maintenance items on the order of ~ every 6 months. Winters are especially brutal, and with all the sun we get, UV damage to the rubber.

This is why I buy the cheapest blades possible and replace them as suggested. :dunno:

I wouldn't coat your blades in anything. Additionally, BRAND NEW blades should be wiped down with the aforementioned rubbing alcohol before installation.

Great advice. I always replace mine beginning of spring and winter along with a thoroughly glass cleaning in summer and before winter.

Mitsu3000gt
06-29-2016, 10:11 AM
Clean windshield and clean/protected blades have always done it for me. Little to no streaking and I'm on my original 6 year old wipers.

Minimalist
06-29-2016, 10:19 AM
I just buy six wiper blades (good for 3 years) at CostCo, swap in May and in November. $12 each I believe. Can't beat CostCo prices. RainX every month. Wipe wiper blade once a week, they really are dirty. New windshield every two years in June before a road trip, not had a crack ever, just pitting. Luck?

Looking into the razor blade advice.

I'd hope the master vehicle detailer on Beyond will post his advice between $3000 details on baller vehicles.

88CRX
06-29-2016, 10:22 AM

Not all that's why I do a pass with the razor blade before I use the clay. I have a clay bar that's dedicated for glass. It usually last me a few years if I keep it in a sealed box.

So razor blade at 45 degree angle with some soapy water?

HiSpec
06-29-2016, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

So razor blade at 45 degree angle with some soapy water?

Exactly.

q4WwOrkgXlc

Prelude_dude
06-30-2016, 11:35 AM
If you still have your stock wipe blades can you not just change the piece of rubber instead of the whole blade?? Not sure if its a japanese thing??

Our Scion and Acura, i just buy the little rubber from the dealership, costs like 7-9 dollars each rubber. They last forever... i think i change the little rubber every two years

n1zm0
06-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude
If you still have your stock wipe blades can you not just change the piece of rubber instead of the whole blade?? Not sure if its a japanese thing??

Our Scion and Acura, i just buy the little rubber from the dealership, costs like 7-9 dollars each rubber. They last forever... i think i change the little rubber every two years

This, after working at a dealer for years and having to change wiper inserts almost everyday, I wish I knew this long time ago. Save your oem wipers and just buy inserts when you need them.

HiSpec
06-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Prelude_dude

Originally posted by n1zm0

This, after working at a dealer for years and having to change wiper inserts almost everyday, I wish I knew this long time ago. Save your oem wipers and just buy inserts when you need them.

:werd:
OEM inserts work surprisingly well!

Prelude_dude
06-30-2016, 02:13 PM

:werd:
OEM inserts work surprisingly well!

Yea! I've had buddies go back to the dealer ship and buy the original full wiper blade again, from there they just replace the wiper insert. You will end up saving in the long run.

I find the OEM inserts last so much longer than any replacement blade I've ever bought. Even the really expensive ones, I find don't last very long.