PDA

View Full Version : Renewing insurance with an open claim

RiceCake
03-18-2004, 11:51 AM
My insurance renewal is coming up and I have a few questions.

Well I got rear ended last year and that's all over. So that means I have 1 not at fault accident on my record.

On boxing day I was rear ended once again in the winter beater while in a parking lot. There is no damage to either car and I told my insurance company that the other party is trying to screw me over. More about it here: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31584&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Now my question is, I thought this would be over a long time ago, especially after my insurance company inspected both cars and denied a claim. The other party is still claiming injuries and damages to his car. He has hired a lawyer and 3 months later his lawyer is still saying I am 100% at fault and there is a case here. So when insurance asks how many claims I have what do I answer???

1badPT
03-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Has your current company said they won't renew you?

Zero102
03-18-2004, 01:57 PM
I have been there, done that.
Here's the skinny on it.
If you are trying to switch companies, you're up the creek. You have to tell them you have an open claim, and if you dont, they can check the insurance registry, and see that you do. If they find this out, you will have an insurance fraud case on your hands, and lose the policy.
So, if you tell them you have an open claim, they will count it as an at fault until it is settled, a.k.a. you're fucked if you switch companies.

If you stick with your current company, then it shouldn't be a big deal. As long as they are denying liability, then they cannot jack up your rates. If they do, give the president of the company a call, it worked for me, actually saved me $400/year =)

So, long story short, if you have an open claim, don't count on switching insurance companies.
However, if you're not switching, they cannot refuse to renew you until the claim is settled.

RiceCake
03-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Hmm... Thanks, looks like I'll have to stick with Trilagy/ ING for another year. Didn't know that an open claim would be viewed upon other companies as an at fault accident. I figured that becuase I was rear ended that the other party would be at fault. In the long run I just hope this whole ordeal gets deleted. Sigh...

Anyways, since the claim is still open should I keep the winter beater until its closed or does it matter if I sell it or not?:confused:

Roaring G60
03-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Keep it, at least that my opinion!!