PDA

View Full Version : Macan Opinions?

dibbz
07-07-2016, 03:58 PM
So I've been looking at a Macan S/GTS for a while now. I like the look, and it seems to be well equipped. Does anyone own one or has test driven one? All the reviews out there seem to give it high marks, but maybe someone who has had it longer term may have a different opinion.

Also is air suspension just a PITA long term?

Xtrema
07-07-2016, 04:05 PM
I remember reading that all 2015 up to spring 2015 builds has steering column issues (Along with Audi Q5) that it will seize under cold temps (-30c). I think they are fixed now.

So you may want to watch out for that year if buying used.

I used to think they are great but if you need space, Q5 got way more room. And you want to have a sporty drive, SUVs won't deliver even if Macan is the best of them. But as Germans won't bring us hot wagons, this is probably as close as we get in North America.

ercchry
07-07-2016, 04:27 PM
:waits for rage to bring up the gla45: :rofl:

rage2
07-07-2016, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
:waits for rage to bring up the gla45: :rofl:
haha, I did cross shop the Macan at the time, and it wasn't worth the money for the performance.

killramos
07-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Sq5 seems like better bang for buck as well imho.

That being said Macan GTS is pretty high up my want list for a more practical winter/summer DD. awd and a bit of clearance with optional towing with its level of performance is quite appealing.

Its looks are best in class, but fuck its expensive to spec.

Maybe when it gets refreshed or gets one of the new engines in the turbo...

dibbz
07-07-2016, 05:15 PM
The optioning definitely brings the price up enough that I begin to question if this is even worth it, but I keep coming back to it. I guess I can wait for GLC43 and the new generation Q5 and X3. Hopefully they look better than the current generation. Used Macan's seem to be popping up. Mostly 2015 models so thanks for that tip about the steering. The 2017s have a new infotainment system and some extra standard options, but they don't really seem to be reflected on the Porsche site.

austic
07-07-2016, 05:48 PM
I found the options escalate the price quickly which makes it a tough choice with soo many better options out there.

rizfarmer
07-07-2016, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by dibbz
The optioning definitely brings the price up enough that I begin to question if this is even worth it, but I keep coming back to it. I guess I can wait for GLC43 and the new generation Q5 and X3. Hopefully they look better than the current generation. Used Macan's seem to be popping up. Mostly 2015 models so thanks for that tip about the steering. The 2017s have a new infotainment system and some extra standard options, but they don't really seem to be reflected on the Porsche site.

Could also wait for GLC Coupe- looks pretty good, c class interior, probably a little cheaper than the Macan.

Buster
07-07-2016, 06:57 PM
I didn't think I would like the GLA45, but it's actually one of my favorite cars. I'd buy one over a Macan for sure.

Sugarphreak
07-07-2016, 09:53 PM

r3ccOs
07-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I think the SQ5 is probably a better option as a DD, especially when it comes to maintenance costs

One of my neighbors bought one when he had a kid to replace his 135

I am pretty sure he regrets it

benyl
07-08-2016, 12:34 PM
There's supposed to be a GLC63 coming.

dibbz
07-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by benyl
There's supposed to be a GLC63 coming.

Really? I guess there is a market for that sort of power in the GLC. I guess this going to be a thing with BMW going for a X3 M.

T-Dubbs
07-08-2016, 12:47 PM
My rents just pulled the trigger on GLC43 for early October in bright red

R-Audi
07-08-2016, 12:49 PM
AMG GLC 43's arrive in the fall...

dibbz
07-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs
My rents just pulled the trigger on GLC43 for early October in bright red

Is the Canadian order guide out for the GLC43 already?

Sugarphreak
07-10-2016, 10:40 AM

r3ccOs
07-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

He bought an SQ5 or a Macan?

Not surprising, the 135i is a great car... albeit not well suited for family use. Hard to compare that with any SUV really.

I've been seeing a lot of Macan's on the road, I find they are not all that good looking in person.

well the thing is... people mock the HRV for its lack of practicality, yet the Macan is roughly the same size...

Why people have moved away from wagons here in Canada is beyond me... because these little mini-suv's are the worst compromise of utility vs sportiness.

You want utility, get a suburban, a truck or a Wrangler
You want in the middle, get a well built good sized unibody SUV, like a cherokee, Q5, etc..

but these mini-utes are less practical than a well designed sedan, a hatch or let alone a wagon.

I think the X1 is more practical and nicer driving than its more expensive X3 sibling.

03ozwhip
07-10-2016, 11:29 AM
I didn't cross shop the macan because it was just too much for what I wanted, but I did cross shop the X1 and GLA45, the only reason I didn't go with the GLA is because this X1 35i came up at a really good color and price and options for what I was looking at.

I would say to cross shop all 3 of these cars before pulling the trigger on a porsche, because porsche. If you're going to check out the X1 though, make sure it's a 35i, I don't think you would be disappointed.

bjstare
07-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

well the thing is... people mock the HRV for its lack of practicality, yet the Macan is roughly the same size...

The Macan is like 8" wider and nearly a foot longer than the HRV. I wouldn't say they're the same size at all. :dunno:

rage2
07-10-2016, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
The Macan is like 8" wider and nearly a foot longer than the HRV. I wouldn't say they're the same size at all. :dunno:
Until you sit in the inside. If you look at a Macan beside a Cayenne it's almost the same size, but on the inside its a lot smaller.

Looking at a Macan from behind, it looks like a lot of that extra width comes from a wide body look in the hips, with the glass area pinched off which is what makes it so much smaller inside.