PDA

View Full Version : Flower Bed / Garden / Plant Theft?

Skyline_Addict
07-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Hi Guys,

Has this happened to any of you? Is this a common thing in Calgary? I had actually googled this online and found a site on the first hit where many people confirmed that they've had plants and even trees uprooted, cut or stolen.

We had planted some red flowers in the flower bed at the front of my house and just noticed today that all the stems have been cut off. Obviously done by a pair of scissors by someone who came prepared to do it.

The flowers are gone, and there is nothing left but an inch or two of the plant. I have different kinds of flowers and plants in the flower bed and he/she/they only did this to the red flowers but nothing else. Either it's a symbolic form of vandalism or the person just wanted some red flowers for their own garden?

It's definitely concerning to me that people would do this. Now I am just wondering why someone did this. If I have an angry neighbor, if it's some punk kids, etc. Obviously poses somewhat of a security concern. I was just thinking of getting my own security system as well. Probably a good idea.

Is this as common as the old chinese people who trespass on people's properties to get their bottles/cans for recycling? I just want to rule out as much as possible that my house isn't being targeted for anything more than this lol.

94CoRd
07-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Put a camera up just to see what type of person would do that!

jdmakkord
07-08-2016, 08:59 PM
I've got rabbits that did the same.....

Sugarphreak
07-09-2016, 07:34 AM

rx7_turbo2
07-09-2016, 08:35 AM
I've got a plethora of rabbits around. If you didn't know better you'd think someone was snipping them off, very clean cuts and they are very very picky. In a planter of 4 or five different varieties and different colour of the same variety they will eat some and leave others. They don't touch Marigolds lol.

Skyline_Addict
07-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Interesting. Thanks for responses.
Can't rule out rabbits. I see them on my front yard all the time and they poop everywhere. I still find it hard to believe that they would only target the red flowers and with this being the first time ever that this happened. Just gotta buy some new flowers now. Ughhhh. And maybe even an invisible electric fence if this becomes epidemic lol.

revelations
07-09-2016, 10:43 AM
If animal, they will target based on smell usually and not colour. We have birds that LOVE the mint plants that the previous owners left growing wild (very strong smell) but they dont touch my wifes flowers.

suntan
07-09-2016, 11:48 AM
Check the cut angle. Around 45 degrees = rabbits.

FixedGear
07-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Happened to my parents when I was a kid... saw some guy digging up spruce saplings from our forest, he wanted to plant them in the bare-ass yard of his silly mcmansion. :rofl:

03ozwhip
07-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Did you leave the keys in the garden? I thought you couldn't steal these kinds of things without keys....:D

G-ZUS
07-09-2016, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
Did you leave the keys in the garden? I thought you couldn't steal these kinds of things without keys....:D :guns: :rofl:

JustinMCS
07-09-2016, 04:31 PM
The city had someone steal/destroy all the bleeding hearts they could find. I would not put it past people to do this. We also have people cutting our lilac bushes when theyre in bloom. So annoying.

Star1995
07-09-2016, 07:39 PM
I witnessed a squirrel steal the flower off the top of one of my sunflowers once, the little bugger took off across the street with it in his mouth. If I didn't see it myself I would have thought some person did it.

ZenOps
07-10-2016, 04:44 AM
I'm pretty sure a baby squirrel ate the flower of my mini-roses. Crazy squirrel.

BokCh0y
07-10-2016, 09:31 AM
ive got rabbits, they only targeted the daisys and left the rest.