PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler Crossfire

civicguy2002
03-18-2004, 12:34 PM
Holy crap I just got to test drive a brand new Chrysler Crossfire. This car was so much fun, I will never bad mouth a Chrysler vehicle again. WOW. This car is all Mercedes Benz and goes like piss. Cruising down the highway in sixth gear doing 200 km/hr, I decided I should back off a little bit as the car only has 300 km on it and probably isnt good for the break in period. However dont get me wrong this car could have easily done way more than that as when you are in sixth gear and you let off the gas then put it on and you get pressed back into your seat like you are taking off in a commercial airliner. This car even has the cool spoiler that at 92 km/hr goes up and at 50 km/hr retracts. I would deffenetly recomend this car to anyone who is thinking about a Mercedes Benz SLK 320 cause it is the same car under the hood, however you save 20 grand.

All I can say is WOW. :eek:

hyperwhite
03-18-2004, 12:50 PM
i've never seen one of those on the streets yet. whats that sticker price on one of those?

civicguy2002
03-18-2004, 12:58 PM
$ 51 000 a convertable comes out next model year as well as an AMG edition

1badPT
03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Well it will be tuned by AMG but it will be marketed as an SRT model (SRT-6). There are very few pics of the SRT-6 available but I posted one in this thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37098&highlight=srt6

The Crossfire's suspension is a bit sportier than the SLK's and the larger wider wheels hold corners better, but looking at the interior of both cars are almost identical and the engine is the SLK's best non supercharged engine (3.2L inline 6)

And damn I'm fucking jealous you got to drive it - I sat in one and it was all I could do to keep my mouth shut about trading in the PT for it lol.

hyperwhite
03-18-2004, 01:19 PM
thats one sweet ride. the convertible looks so much better

C4S
03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
It is almost the same car as the "today" SLK .. which came out back to 1997 ... so .. a 2004 car, base on a 1997 car ... um ..

of course, SLK is still a very nice car, and back to 97, it was damn nice !

It is all marketing, Chrysler just use whatever "left-over" from Benz, and built with a "weird" body ( like it or not ) It is good for Chrysler, but it is a nitemare for Benz ... :(

1badPT
03-18-2004, 05:10 PM
They also aren't selling at SLK prices in 97 - at 50K (there is only one option - 5 speed auto or 6 spd manual) its a pretty good value for a loaded car. The dealers reportedly were getting above MSRP when they first hit so the car has already been a success for Chrysler.

But at that price its competing with the 350Z and the current Crossfire as much as I love it, would take second place for me behind the 350Z. Now the SRT-6 version is a different story altogether :D

Cabrio with 330 HP for about 10K more :thumbsup:

rage2
03-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by civicguy2002
This car is all Mercedes Benz and goes like piss. Cruising down the highway in sixth gear doing 200 km/hr, I decided I should back off a little bit as the car only has 300 km on it and probably isnt good for the break in period. However dont get me wrong this car could have easily done way more than that as when you are in sixth gear and you let off the gas then put it on and you get pressed back into your seat like you are taking off in a commercial airliner.
haha I dunno what commercial airliner you've been riding in, but my SLK 320 takes forever to go from 200-250km/h (ecu limited at 250). You should definately try the SRT-6 when it comes out... it'll feel twice as fast going 200-250 hehe.

crazydriver
03-19-2004, 12:09 AM
wow.. me wanna test drive one now....

Ducati
03-19-2004, 12:31 AM
I am goddamn glad to see Chrysler building interesting cars again. I was a diehard Mopar fanatic back in the dinosaur era.

And who cares if the "unholy union" with Mercedes is hurting Gunther's stock portfolio. MB is a shadow of the cars they used to be, anyway. Take a 15 year old 300E and a new 240CE or whatever passes as MBz's pedestrian sedan now, and there is just no comparison. The old 300 is built like a Panzer tank, and is as reliable as anything made in Japan. Not so, now.

Now, the diesels...who will come out on top? Will Cummins continue to provide engines for Chrysler, or will MBz? The new Sprinter van is a harbinger of things to come. MBz will probably power the Rams soon - thats my bet I'd place cash on.

Now, will MBz do anything with the Hemi? (Actually, MBz did have a hemi back in the early 50's)
I think the Chrysler/MB union is one of the most interesting things ever to happen in the automotive industry.

As a Mercedes driving former Mopar fanatic, I say Bring It On. The crossfire is perhaps the coolest domestic on the road at present. (uhhh well...then there is the Viper...)

Stratus_Power
03-19-2004, 12:35 AM
and the new C6 corvette :D

Ducati
03-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Wait'll you see Next Year's Corvette. I know some things that the general public doesn't. It is going to be something else.