PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Netflix + Star Trek/TNG HD

Gman.45
07-12-2016, 11:13 PM
Canadian Netflix finally got a license to play the 5 major Trek TV series, so no more using VPN/DNS stuff to watch them on US Netflix.

I was watching Marco Polo on Canadian today when it kicked me out when I fell asleep, and there were all the Star Trek shows, and I thought somehow I turned my VPN on mashing the keyboard while dosing.

Also, TNG is in the 5800 "Super HD" bitrate, and also has 5.1 sound - these must be taken from the "remastered" DVD series or something - WOW. Looks and sounds fantastic on Netflix now (if you're using an app/method other than a browser based deal to notice the difference).

I think at least maybe Netflix, after a couple terrible quarters, caught on that THEY should be pressuring Hollywood, not vice versa, about the content unfairness between regions. At least I hope, it'd be nice to have parity per $ between Netflix and other services.

edit - Tried the US Netflix Star Trek TNG, and it's still the old 1700 low def bitrate, and regular sound. Canada wins!

RealJimmyJames
07-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Netflix used to have TNG, but it was 100% potato quality, and looked like it was from a VCR where the tracking was slightly off. Looking forward to new better quality.

BigDL
07-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Gman.45
Canadian Netflix finally got a license to play the 5 major Trek TV series, so no more using VPN/DNS stuff to watch them on US Netflix.

I was watching Marco Polo on Canadian today when it kicked me out when I fell asleep, and there were all the Star Trek shows, and I thought somehow I turned my VPN on mashing the keyboard while dosing.

Also, TNG is in the 5800 "Super HD" bitrate, and also has 5.1 sound - these must be taken from the "remastered" DVD series or something - WOW. Looks and sounds fantastic on Netflix now (if you're using an app/method other than a browser based deal to notice the difference).

I think at least maybe Netflix, after a couple terrible quarters, caught on that THEY should be pressuring Hollywood, not vice versa, about the content unfairness between regions. At least I hope, it'd be nice to have parity per $ between Netflix and other services.

edit - Tried the US Netflix Star Trek TNG, and it's still the old 1700 low def bitrate, and regular sound. Canada wins!
Humm just tried it and this is what I am getting for TNG S1E1

Audio Track: en, Id: A:1:1;2;en;1;, Channels: 2.0, Codec: mp4a
Playing bitrate (a/v): 96 / 1780 ( res: 960x720, par: 1x1 )

kenny
07-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by BigDL

Humm just tried it and this is what I am getting for TNG S1E1

Audio Track: en, Id: A:1:1;2;en;1;, Channels: 2.0, Codec: mp4a
Playing bitrate (a/v): 96 / 1780 ( res: 960x720, par: 1x1 )

Need to use Edge, IE or Safari if you're on a PC to access the higher bitrate/resolution.

On Chrome/FF it is capped to 1780/720

BigDL
07-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Need to use Edge, IE or Safari if you're on a PC to access the higher bitrate/resolution.

On Chrome/FF it is capped to 1780/720

Damm that sucks, I hate IE but thanks for the tip!

Humm got it to 4220 on IE but no 5800 I guess I'll have to try this when I am at home instead of at work.

Mibz
07-13-2016, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by kenny

On Chrome/FF it is capped to 1780/720 I had no idea. I've been watching low quality Netflix for years.

Stephen81
07-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Cool to see this back on Netflix. Used to love this show as a kid.

There's a good podcast called The Greatest Generation where two guys who were fans growing up are going back and rewatching TNG and crack some good jokes.

sexualbanana
07-13-2016, 01:23 PM
I love this, only because Star Treks, to me, are one of those shows where it's just entertaining enough to not bore me, but boring enough that I can fall asleep during an episode and not care what I missed.

Mibz
07-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I love this, only because Star Treks, to me, are one of those shows where it's just entertaining enough to not bore me, but boring enough that I can fall asleep during an episode and not care what I missed. Great way of putting it, haha.

Gman.45
07-14-2016, 02:18 PM
There's a good podcast called The Greatest Generation where two guys who were fans growing up are going back and rewatching TNG and crack some good jokes.

I know these guys, after their first episode I contacted them and told them to start a thread over at Westeros.org where we had a DS9 rewatch thread going - their own thread is one of the more popular ones in the entertainment thread now. Hilarious channel/YT show IMO.

Stephen81
07-14-2016, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Gman.45

I know these guys, after their first episode I contacted them and told them to start a thread over at Westeros.org where we had a DS9 rewatch thread going - their own thread is one of the more popular ones in the entertainment thread now. Hilarious channel/YT show IMO.

I took a peek and I think we're talking about different podcasts but I'll check that one out too!

This is the one I'm referring to

www.gagh.biz (http://www.gagh.biz)

spikerS
07-14-2016, 09:13 PM
I have started a Voyager binge watching session. Need to fill in so many gaps...

Inzane
07-14-2016, 11:50 PM
What bit rate/quality would I normally get watching Netflix via my PS3 or other blu-Ray players?

BigDL
07-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Last season of Enterprise also had a few good stories.