PDA

View Full Version : Gym memberships

G-ZUS
07-13-2016, 11:41 AM
With my gym becoming run down, im looking for a new place to work out. Any suggestions for gyms where I can possibly pre-pay my membership and not pay out the ass? I've looked into Golds and Goodlife but they want monthly withdrawals and contracts, not to mention the hassle involved to cancel.

revelations
07-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Contracts are fine if youre committed. Just use a CC instead of a bank card - that way you have the CC protecting you (except cancelling a gym contract of course).

89coupe
07-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Not sure where you live but I workout at West Side Recreation center. Nice facility and rates are decent. You can pay up front for a full year and have no commitment to continue.

G-ZUS
07-13-2016, 12:14 PM
^ sorry i should have mentioned I live in the NE.

ndhal417
07-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Fit4Less by T & T/Canadian Tire. Its like $10 a month and I think you can pay a year upfront.

pheoxs
07-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Find one on kijiji and pay the ~20$ or whatever transfer fee. Saves you signing up for a few year contract.

bulaian
07-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Find one on kijiji and pay the ~20$ or whatever transfer fee. Saves you signing up for a few year contract.

Or buy this person's membership. 1 flat payment http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/calgary/goodlife-contract/1181641442

beecue
07-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Vivo, no contracts.

zieg
07-14-2016, 07:32 AM
I like the leisure centre. Can prepay up to a year (and save), no contact, and access to everything. I like to hit the pool once in a while after working out, and you can also drop in on other classes/events. And during the hours I'm there it's never busy. Almost never have to wait for a machine.

G-ZUS
12-04-2016, 09:21 AM
Bump, have been scouring kijiji while i wait for my contract to end at "The Gym".

has anyone had any luck with these pre-paid vouchers people sell on Kijiji?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fitness-personal-trainer/calgary/goodlife-gym-membership/1221425706?utm_source=com.android.mms&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

BensonTT
12-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Any of you guys heard of Anytime Fitness?

NoPulp
12-04-2016, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by BensonTT
I'm assuming that's the same chain as the one in Lethbridge. I used it for a few months, seems decent but expensive. I liked their equipment and the location I went to was relatively not busy, but it was probably the location and that was the main reason why I stopped going.

NewLextasy
12-04-2016, 10:50 AM
Pmd

BensonTT
12-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp

I'm assuming that's the same chain as the one in Lethbridge. I used it for a few months, seems decent but expensive. I liked their equipment and the location I went to was relatively not busy, but it was probably the location and that was the main reason why I stopped going.

Yeah you are right.. They are pretty expensive for such a small gym..

CompletelyNumb
12-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Contracts are fine if youre committed. Just use a CC instead of a bank card - that way you have the CC protecting you (except cancelling a gym contract of course).

Last I checked, Goodlife was $25/biweekly if you have your bank account details and signed an auto withdrawal form, or $100/month if you used a CC.

They charge you double because they know how easy it will be for you to get out of the payments if need be.

A2VR6
12-04-2016, 12:19 PM

It's very location dependant as there are typically different owners per location. Many of them are fairly small locations but the equipment generally is fairly new (although a bit limited).

However, there are a few locations (ie. Downtown locations) that are bigger and have more equipment. It is fairly expensive but there are promos from time to time that make it cheaper than most other downtown gyms (im paying 47 a month for example).

revelations
12-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Last I checked, Goodlife was $25/biweekly if you have your bank account details and signed an auto withdrawal form, or $100/month if you used a CC.

They charge you double because they know how easy it will be for you to get out of the payments if need be.

Thats a pretty bad omen if I ever saw one :eek: (to double your membership fees if you use a payment method they cant hose you with)

?????
12-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

It's very location dependant as there are typically different owners per location. Many of them are fairly small locations but the equipment generally is fairly new (although a bit limited).

However, there are a few locations (ie. Downtown locations) that are bigger and have more equipment. It is fairly expensive but there are promos from time to time that make it cheaper than most other downtown gyms (im paying 47 a month for example).

I agree.

Been going to the downtown locations (Beltline and Core) for over 4 years now and its been great and never too busy. Also have access to all the locations (anywhere, not just Calgary)

Tried the Silverado location once and that's a pretty nice gym.

Kjonus
12-04-2016, 03:07 PM

I've been going to the one in Creekside for around 4 years now. Its pretty basic but has everything that I'm looking for in a gym. Very clean gym and equipment is good and new. The ownership just changed so we'll see if that brings any changes.

HomespunLobster
12-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Tried World Health, YMCA, currently doing Goodlife. Your best bet is check a few of them out that are near you and find which gym you like most, in terms of whats offered, how busy it gets, the current people there, etc.
I decided with goodlife, usually at the canyon meadows but 130 AVE is on my way home from work. I avoid 130 AVE during peak hours since it seems most of the roid guys show up then (From the good ol Gold's Gym days), but I go there for the large amounts of cardio equipment and hot tub.
I really did like YMCA because it's the closest to me, but since it's attached to the high school there's always just kids sitting at machines and texting or talking to each other but not working out.

beyond_ban
12-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Kjonus

I've been going to the one in Creekside for around 4 years now. Its pretty basic but has everything that I'm looking for in a gym. Very clean gym and equipment is good and new. The ownership just changed so we'll see if that brings any changes.

Hopefully larger dumbbells! I do agree though, it is basic and has everything a person needs. Generally not too busy either which is a huge bonus as i hate having to shake up a workout based on what is available.

Maxx Mazda
12-04-2016, 06:00 PM
I recently switched to GoodLife because we get a corporate rate there of $38/mo, withdrawn no-weekly, good for towel service and valid at any GoodLife across Canada which is awesome since all I do for work is travel.

If you'd prefer not to have the bi-weekly withdrawal, you can pre-pay for an entire year and it actually saves you $100. I believe $299 instead of $399.

Lots of companies have a corporate rate through GoodLife, you should look into it. If you don't have one, it's easy to get one for your company.

G-ZUS
12-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
I recently switched to GoodLife because we get a corporate rate there of $38/mo, withdrawn no-weekly, good for towel service and valid at any GoodLife across Canada which is awesome since all I do for work is travel.

If you'd prefer not to have the bi-weekly withdrawal, you can pre-pay for an entire year and it actually saves you $100. I believe $299 instead of $399.

Lots of companies have a corporate rate through GoodLife, you should look into it. If you don't have one, it's easy to get one for your company.

I've inquired into that, we get a whopping $2/bi-weekly discount LOL. Asked about the prepaying in full, got mixed answers but wasn't told about saving $100. Was told it's not possible or not to do it.

bulaian
12-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

I've inquired into that, we get a whopping $2/bi-weekly discount LOL. Asked about the prepaying in full, got mixed answers but wasn't told about saving $100. Was told it's not possible or not to do it.

But does the $2 bi-weekly discount include cross Canada Discount(additional $4-6 I think?) and/or Towel service($5 IIRC)?

G-ZUS
12-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by bulaian

But does the $2 bi-weekly discount include cross Canada Discount(additional $4-6 I think?) and/or Towel service($5 IIRC)?

Not that I was told of :dunno:

bulaian
12-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Not that I was told of :dunno:

If you are still interested in GoodLife at all and it's possible to go during the day, you may have better chances getting clear answers from the Manager at the club rather than the sales people.

Mitsu3000gt
12-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Has anyone ever used Fitness Plus down by the Southland Leisure Center? They are offering $39/mo on contract or $49/mo off contract, no sign up fee. I toured the gym briefly and it looked OK but I have no idea if it's a nice place to be or not.

I used to go to the Anytime Fitness downtown which was the best. $57/mo, free heated underground parking, new equipment, every cardio machine has it's own TV, and 24 hour access. I think it was pretty busy in peak times but I never went then.

suntan
12-05-2016, 02:27 PM
I was using Repsol (formerly Talisman) last month and sweet jebus the two girls that were the using the squat rack next to mine. :poosie: