PDA

View Full Version : Billowing exhaust on a new performance car?

blindsight
07-18-2016, 05:20 PM

ercchry
07-18-2016, 05:26 PM
Breaking in the exhaust tends to do this if driven hard... My mustang did it after a couple laps at race city when it was new, chalked it up to oils in the exhaust burning off... Never did it again after that

carson blocks
07-18-2016, 08:21 PM
I saw a new or newish black M3 on dealer tags blowing a ton of black when the driver was bagging it off a light. It looked like a very rich fuel cloud, so I assumed it was just some shitty aftermarket tune.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-19-2016, 07:49 AM
Are you talking black fumes (unburnt fuel) or just condensation? There is cold start fuel enrichment on all modern day vehicles to help warm the cats as quickly as possible and cut down on emissions.

revelations
07-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Black, blue or white colour? All signify different things.

Black usually being fuel, blue being oil and white being water condensation due to cool exhaust system combined with high ambient humidity, or worse, coolant if it smells sweet.

I had a turbo internal coolant leak once in an old car, it would blow out a white cloud during hard acceleration.

An acquaintance rode a motorcycle that wasn't broken in hard and subsequently it puffed out a little blue smoke every time he used engine to brake.

blindsight
07-19-2016, 10:32 AM

ShermanEF9
07-23-2016, 07:18 AM
Could just be condensation. That's normal.