PDA

View Full Version : Bumble Bee Removal

adam c
07-18-2016, 06:57 PM
It appears I have a bumble bee nest under my back steps, I've tried to take a look and see where it is but without much luck. There's no place that I can open to see if I can track it down but I've been able to block one entrance I saw them going into and now they're swarming to get in.. There's a few other holes I can block but it won't do much good as part of the steps have a chain link fence so they can get in and out of there

Has anyone had any success with removal? I'm reading a lot of places will remove honey bees but nothing about bumble bees... I got stung today and they keep going after our dog

C_Dave45
07-18-2016, 07:19 PM
A BUMBLE BEE? I don't think I've ever seen a Bumble Bee nest.

http://beecontrolnw.com/communities/6/000/001/657/106//images/9198837.jpg

You sure it's not a hornet?

http://www.canforcepest.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/CANFORCE-hornet.jpg

adam c
07-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Yea it's bumble bees, like your first picture with a red end

C_Dave45
07-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Wow. Cool. I like Bumble Bees. I friggin hate wasps/hornets.

Sorry, I got nuthin.

nonofyobiz
07-18-2016, 07:36 PM
can't they be relocated?

...Whereas wasps/hornets you would just annihilate them from existence.

HomespunLobster
07-18-2016, 07:46 PM
I had bees under my step as well (big concrete step). Try a beekeeper, they told me they can't get them out if they are to far in since they technically need the queen

cancer man
07-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Get a beekeeper for sure but under your steps i'll wager wasp.
If they have a torpedo end wasp.

firebane
07-19-2016, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by adam c
Yea it's bumble bees, like your first picture with a red end

Your probably running into these guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombus_ternarius and they are mean little buggers.

They can repeatedly sting as well.

adam c
07-19-2016, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Your probably running into these guys https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombus_ternarius and they are mean little buggers.

They can repeatedly sting as well.

Interesting, that's why I couldn't find a stinger yet felt like someone punched me in the arm with a needle

adam c
07-19-2016, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Get a beekeeper for sure but under your steps i'll wager wasp.
If they have a torpedo end wasp.

Definitely not wasps, I've killed a couple already and they are bees

loweg
07-19-2016, 07:56 AM
I had those in the front gravel and step area around my house this year, ran the sprinkler there every night for 2 hours for about 6-7 days and they packed their bags and took off

jwslam
07-19-2016, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by loweg
I had those in the front gravel and step area around my house this year, ran the sprinkler there every night for 2 hours for about 6-7 days and they packed their bags and took off
By that logic shouldn't they be gone from all the rain last week? I guess unless he has an awning of some sort

nzwasp
07-19-2016, 08:20 AM
I had a bumble bee (proper not these bomber things) under my front step for most of the spring and summer but I came back from holiday and I havent seen them at all. The area gets a tonne of water and the nest was at ground level so I'm assuming they buggered off.

I think they can survive some water because I've found them setting up camp in my sprinkler box year after year and have always just filled that up with water but they survive somehow.

roopi
07-06-2017, 01:11 PM
adam c so what did you end up doing? I've noticed some bees starting to fly into a crack by my deck so want to get this taken care of now.

adam c
07-06-2017, 02:19 PM
I ended up doing nothing, luckily they haven't come back this year

Tik-Tok
07-06-2017, 04:32 PM
You guys are crazy. I love having bees around, their nests keep the fucking wasps away.

We had a honey bee nest start under our concrete steps in the spring. Then some asshole wasps invaded it and took over. Then some badass bumble bees took their asses out, and I haven't seen a wasp in my yard since.

firebane
07-06-2017, 04:37 PM
You guys are crazy. I love having bees around, their nests keep the fucking wasps away.

We had a honey bee nest start under our concrete steps in the spring. Then some asshole wasps invaded it and took over. Then some badass bumble bees took their asses out, and I haven't seen a wasp in my yard since.

Traditional honey bees and bumblebees are usually docile and don't bother people. The red bottomed ones I linked to are vicious and will attack.

A790
07-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Call a beekeeper. They will come grab them for you.

adam c
07-06-2017, 07:04 PM
I had the red bottom ones and they attacked our dog and even stung me

nzwasp
07-08-2017, 08:48 AM
I have a hornets nest under my deck now - anyone know of some good removal services to use to destroy them?

ExtraSlow
07-08-2017, 03:17 PM
I have some of these bees in my yard. Not yet sure if they have a nest. They seem to like my smoker, which I think is weird.

ExtraSlow
07-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Here are two action shots of the bastard flying around. Never lands where I can get a clean pic, but you can see the coloration. He seems to like to land in everyones hair, and buzz around your face. Very much attracted to people.

deee_wreck
07-09-2017, 10:06 AM
I have a hornets nest under my deck now - anyone know of some good removal services to use to destroy them?

Same here looking for some one to remove a nest by my garage door... Any recommends?

ExtraSlow
07-09-2017, 10:10 AM
Haven't had a problem killing wasps an hornets with the readily available products. Key is to apply very early in the morning on a cooler day. Temps below 15c make them much more sluggish and unable to mount a good attack.
If you have good access to the nest, the foam type is good, you can fill up the holes.

relyt92
07-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Haven't had a problem killing wasps an hornets with the readily available products. Key is to apply very early in the morning on a cooler day. Temps below 15c make them much more sluggish and unable to mount a good attack.
If you have good access to the nest, the foam type is good, you can fill up the holes.Yeah get something with a good stream and apply early in the evening and late at night. If you have a pump sprayer you can also soak the nest in dish soap and water and hit any of the flying ones with that and it'll knock them down and kill them also.

deee_wreck
07-09-2017, 10:47 AM
If you have good access to the nest, the foam type is good, you can fill up the holes.

i would try, but its pretty hot these last couple days.
And its right at the edge of where garage door opens and closes, so having to go in and out with the baby all day. wife prefers to have it removed asap and be done with it professionally and cleaned, in case sprays take to long, several trys and/or get messy.

Any recommended professionals?

craigcd
07-09-2017, 11:07 AM
i would try, but its pretty hot these last couple days.
And its right at the edge of where garage door opens and closes, so having to go in and out with the baby all day. wife prefers to have it removed asap and be done with it professionally and cleaned, in case sprays take to long, several trys and/or get messy.

Any recommended professionals?

Buy some spray and do it at night, its super easy and not worth paying for.

yellowsnow
07-10-2017, 04:31 PM
found another wasp nest yesterday, seems like my house has wasp nests every year in different locations. just wait till evening when most of them return to the nest, spray the entrance with the foam so they can't escape. then stick the end of the needle into the hole and keep spraying inside until the foam starts leaking out