PDA

View Full Version : legal advice

moose_8
03-18-2004, 03:35 PM
is there any lawers or anything that could help me out?
so i was eating a hot dog and i bit down and found a good inch long bone that i bit down on and almost choked on it
and i phoned the help line today they prvided nothing but to send the bone to them for them to look at it and they would offer me 20 dollars in free coupons?
what should i do?

rage2
03-18-2004, 03:46 PM
what do u wanna do? u wanna sue them and make $$$ from them? :dunno:

I'm suspecting that's the case, since you weren't hurt. You can either hire a lawyer to sue them (which will cost you), or find an injury lawyer that thinks you will win, and they'll work for free and take a cut of the winnings.

If I were you, I'd take the coupons, since I doubt you will make any money off such a silly claim.

1badPT
03-18-2004, 03:54 PM
What's the damage? Did you break a tooth or cut your mouth? In a civil case like your suggesting you have to prove your loss and that they were responsible. You can show they were responsible for putting a bone in a hotdog, but you have no damage - no case.

That's not to say you don't have any leverage. Tell them their coupons will not settle this and that you'll take this to the media or whatever, but legally you don't have much to stand on except for punitive damages, and judges (especially in Canada) give that only in the most extreme cases.

sputnik
03-18-2004, 04:19 PM
:werd:

no damage... no case

and also... in Canada... if you lose you pay the winners legal fees... now do you still want to take on a large corporation on a stupid claim such as the one you proposed?

perhaps you should get a job like the rest of us and work for money... or you could jump in front of cars and sue the drivers... start with an 18-wheeler on 22X

(and people WONDER why insurance rates are so high)

moose_8
03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
i;m not just looking out for myself here wanting the big money,
i know i have no case but they provided useless information to me about how this is only an isolated event and that they only deal with the matter at hand, not with the what if's, alls there gonna do is take the bone from me and throw it out not look into the qualty control of there products bringing risk to people that might actuly choke on it and die, how do i know this is isolated.

and i have a job thanks and i've been screwed over by people sueing me for money, so how about you know what i am about before you give an opinion about me
thanks

sputnik
03-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by moose_8
i know i have no case but they provided useless information to me about how this is only an isolated event and that they only deal with the matter at hand, not with the what if's, alls there gonna do is take the bone from me and throw it out not look into the qualty control of there products bringing risk to people that might actuly choke on it and die, how do i know this is isolated.

and i have a job thanks and i've been screwed over by people sueing me for money, so how about you know what i am about before you give an opinion about me
thanks

if thats the case (i.e. you aren't out for money)

why would you call this thread "legal advice"... are you going to take them to court to let them know that you found a bone in their hotdog?

why not just call them and let them know what you found and take your $20 in coupons and just know that you might have helped someone else indirectly. if it isnt an isolated case then you can be part of the class action suit filed against them with all of the other people who were mentally traumatized by finding a bone in their hotdog.

rage2
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by moose_8
Then you should make a website describing the problem and promote it. Once you find enough people that have had the same thing happen to them, THEN you should look into legal matters, and only then will any lawyer or judge take you seriously.

An individual case with no damage is a tough sell in court, even in today's crazy world of lawsuits.

Weapon_R
03-18-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but I can offer some advice.

There are two things you can sue for in Canada. One of them is damages and the other is suffering.

Let's take a look at them both:

Damages: You bit on a bone. My assumption would be that you would have bit down lightly, since it's just a hot dog and not something thicker. You most likely did not suffer any damages from the bone, and more than likely did not lose days off work or lost income, spit it out and continued eating your hot dog. No case here.

Suffering: Unless you have proof of emotional duress because of chewing on the bone, you will not have a very solid case here either. You can try and prove that chewing on the bone caused you to feel emotionally disturbed, and you might be able to use that as some sort of leverage. But of course, you have already seen a doctor about this to diagnose you before you called them and complained, right? ;)

Now, as for finding a lawyer who will do this, you have two choices. You have the choice of paying a pre-determined fee for a lawyer, and almost any lawyer who is unconcerned with their reputation will do this.

You can also choose a commission based lawyer, and you will find it almost impossible to find one who will commit serious time and effort into something like this, as it is a huge gamble.

Oh, by the way, if you lose, you pay. And if you lose, the company (which is probably a national agency) will turn on you and make you pay their fees too. And they'll win.

szw
03-18-2004, 06:28 PM
pics!

hjr
03-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by szw
pics! word, where is the proof? i wanna see it!