PDA

View Full Version : Opinions requested. Thinking of trading my truck in....

Pages : [1] 2

spikerS
07-20-2016, 06:57 PM
Looking at trading my truck in for a new 2016 f150. Opting for the longer 6.5 box this time tho.

Truck I am looking at has the new 5.0L, and I am finding it capable, but to me it feels sluggish compared to my current 3.5L EB....

Seems like the 3.5L is hard to find as most dealers are ordering g the 2.7l EB which I am not keen on.

What are the thoughts on the new 5.o L? Are they decent? Any issues? Would I be better off down the road with the 3.5 EB in resale and reliability?

Dealer has loaned me the truck for a bit to drive it and see if I am comfortable with it.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/20160720_170013_zps253sesql.jpg

max_boost
07-20-2016, 07:06 PM
In before Honda Accord.

spikerS
07-20-2016, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
In before Honda Accord.

Shit disturber

AndyL
07-20-2016, 07:39 PM
Get a GMC all the cool kids are ;)

btimbit
07-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Nothing wrong with the 5.0 it's a solid, capable proven engine. But the 3.5 is still definitely the way to go if you're set on a Ford.

I'll add that the looks of the new Ford half one have definitely grown on me too

ExtraSlow
07-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Bud, the 5.0 is a great engine, but it feels totally different than the ecoboost. If you love the feel of the ecoboost, I doubt you'd be satisfied with the naturally aspirated engine.

Have you talked to any dealers about building the truck you want? They do that, you know . . .

Also, if it was me, I'd be waiting a few months for the 2017 and the 10-speed trans. But I have an unhealthy fixation with transmissions. The current six is very good.

benyl
07-20-2016, 08:59 PM
2017 is a brand new ecoboost.

SOAB
07-20-2016, 10:50 PM
i was debating about waiting for the 2017 as well for the 2nd gen ecoboost and the 10 speed trans. but i have told myself to never ever be the guinea pig on new models. rebates for a 2017 will not be great either.

if you are comfortable with the ecoboost, i would have your dealer find a truck that meets your needs and expectations. 3.5 eco is not that rare, especially in a XLT. there are lots out there.

if you want to, i can send you to my salesman that helped me with my recent purchase.

r3ccOs
07-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
i was debating about waiting for the 2017 as well for the 2nd gen ecoboost and the 10 speed trans. but i have told myself to never ever be the guinea pig on new models. rebates for a 2017 will not be great either.

if you are comfortable with the ecoboost, i would have your dealer find a truck that meets your needs and expectations. 3.5 eco is not that rare, especially in a XLT. there are lots out there.

if you want to, i can send you to my salesman that helped me with my recent purchase.

with the weight savings, the 5.0 is plenty fast, powerful and most importantly reliable.

I'd definitely wait a year post 2nd gen 3.5 release if I were to go down the ecoboost path...

if you look at the 5.0, considering its no DI, it is impressive how it puts out numbers close to the Tundra and Hemi, with over 10% less displacement.

InRich
07-21-2016, 12:33 AM
dude are you f'ing serious?

trading in a new truck for something outright.... the same? losing a ton of money? you got a few screws missing? women not treating you right? everything alright at home? feel free to tell us, its all good here.

Keep your truck FFS!!!
the 5.0 is sluggish ass btw.

SOAB
07-21-2016, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

with the weight savings, the 5.0 is plenty fast, powerful and most importantly reliable.

I'd definitely wait a year post 2nd gen 3.5 release if I were to go down the ecoboost path...

if you look at the 5.0, considering its no DI, it is impressive how it puts out numbers close to the Tundra and Hemi, with over 10% less displacement.

yes, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 5.0L either.

my wife would hate it though because I would put an exhaust on it and it would be loud. haha.

no way the ecoboost is getting an exhaust. don't want to sound like a suped up civic. :rofl:

Sugarphreak
07-21-2016, 07:40 AM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by InRich
dude are you f'ing serious?

trading in a new truck for something outright.... the same? losing a ton of money? you got a few screws missing? women not treating you right? everything alright at home? feel free to tell us, its all good here.

Keep your truck FFS!!!
the 5.0 is sluggish ass btw.

His truck is like 3-5 years old and has around 100k km I'm pretty sure.

Darkane
07-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Truth

The 2017 models have updated drivetrains. The 3.5 now has class leading 470ft/lbs torque and will come with the new 10sp transmission.

I'd wait till next July (employee pricing) if you're dead set on Ford. Otherwise check out a GMC, if your budget allows grab a 6.2 and feel the muscle truck-ness lol.

SOAB
07-21-2016, 07:48 AM
I looked into the 6.2L as well and you basically have to get a Denali in order to get it. way too much money for not as much capability compared to the ecoboost.

and this may be personal preference but I think their interiors are fugly. :dunno:

sputnik
07-21-2016, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by benyl

2017 is a brand new 3.5L ecoboost.

I believe the 2.7L ecoboost is already on the new platform.

SOAB
07-21-2016, 08:32 AM
3.5L eco will be getting a bump in HP and TQ, dual fuel system, 10 speed trans, stop/start, etc.

Darell_n
07-21-2016, 08:39 AM
The 10 speed will make more improvement in performance vs new engines. For Dodge, the ZF 8-speed resulted in a nearly 1 second improvement in the 1/4 mile over the identical 6-speed truck and made the vehicle much more responsive. I would expect the same results with Ford.

redline
07-21-2016, 09:59 AM
I would wait for the 2017, more TQ and 10spd, that's when I am going to look at trucks again.

ExtraSlow
07-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

2017 is a brand new 3.5L ecoboost.

I believe the 2.7L ecoboost is already on the new platform.
Yes, no big change to the 2.7 EB engine. But the 3.5L EB is going from 420 ft-lbs to 470 ft-lbs. It's already awesome, going to be monstrous.

redblack
07-21-2016, 11:44 AM
I'd wait for the 2nd year of the new 3.5 and 10sp tranny, so 2018 model year

Darkane
07-21-2016, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
The 10 speed will make more improvement in performance vs new engines. For Dodge, the ZF 8-speed resulted in a nearly 1 second improvement in the 1/4 mile over the identical 6-speed truck and made the vehicle much more responsive. I would expect the same results with Ford.

I find that super odd. GM's trucks didn't improve with the 8sp over the 6. Infact, arguably, it got worse.

The 8sp in the gmc and chevs may only last 2 years.

Rocket1k78
07-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Are you getting a POS XLT trim? I wouldnt get a POS xlt trim if i were getting a new truck. The new f150's have amazing interiors now and with the huge dual moonroof why would you get a POS xlt? POSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOS:D

r3ccOs
07-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
Are you getting a POS XLT trim? I wouldnt get a POS xlt trim if i were getting a new truck. The new f150's have amazing interiors now and with the huge dual moonroof why would you get a POS xlt? POSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOSPOS:D

the new XLT has some "options"

if you opt for the power moonroof and the 8" screen... add your own Katskin leather and you're pretty much at the Lariat without the price.

that said, I'd go Lariat... just because thats going to be the model that will retain the best value.

spikerS
07-21-2016, 04:28 PM
He is being sarcastic r3cc0s and trying to be funny.

Have decided to ditch the 5.0l. Tried the 2.7l EB and it is decent. Plants you in your seat more than the 5.0 does, but the towing numbers are throwing me off. So they are now hunting down a 3.5L for me. I think we have all the numbers worked out, and I am not getting totally raped on the trade in so I am ok with that.

They are offering me 17k for my 2012 Screw 3.5L with 115kms on it.

Are the USA buyers still around Calgary? Wondering if it is better going through them...

r3ccOs
07-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
He is being sarcastic r3cc0s and trying to be funny.

Have decided to ditch the 5.0l. Tried the 2.7l EB and it is decent. Plants you in your seat more than the 5.0 does, but the towing numbers are throwing me off. So they are now hunting down a 3.5L for me. I think we have all the numbers worked out, and I am not getting totally raped on the trade in so I am ok with that.

They are offering me 17k for my 2012 Screw 3.5L with 115kms on it.

Are the USA buyers still around Calgary? Wondering if it is better going through them...

have you compared Kijiji for what you can do private?

spikerS
07-21-2016, 05:50 PM
No, but it is more out of fear of having to deal with kijiji idiots.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-21-2016, 07:06 PM
What's the body condition and tire condition like on your current truck? Any accidents, liens, or hail claims? Any tears or major stains on the seats?

spikerS
07-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
What's the body condition and tire condition like on your current truck? Any accidents, liens, or hail claims? Any tears or major stains on the seats?

As it stands now, body condition is good. I have a scratch on the drivers door that I am getting fixed through insurance after some kid on a bike scraped it. Did have a slight passenger door ding in a parkING lot that got fixed ($1600). Tires are about 70%.

Did have a hail claim, but our reident PDR guru fixed it, and if it was to get hail damage again, it is able to be claimed.

Zero tears or stains, but the truck could use an interior clean and shampoo.

Truck does not currently have a box liner, so the bed is scratched up, but a spray in liner would make it 100% new again.

And just has my current lein from Ford credit on it.

Black Gts
07-21-2016, 10:09 PM
You'd probably get more than 17 on beyond no kijji imo.
It's too late and I'm sure the engines a bit different, but city driving my 2011 5.0 gets the same or better as you eco boost guys claim, no real towing #s though

r3ccOs
07-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Black Gts
You'd probably get more than 17 on beyond no kijji imo.
It's too late and I'm sure the engines a bit different, but city driving my 2011 5.0 gets the same or better as you eco boost guys claim, no real towing #s though

this is not uncommon... just the performance of the ecoboost is better for low RPM towing.

when you got 12PSI per turbo running, you're running a 6+ litre engine, so :dunno:

you get the power, which comes at the sacrifice of efficiency

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Id say you can get $20-22k pretty instantly in kijiji for it spikerS.

Shlade
07-21-2016, 11:29 PM
Wait for then 2017...

InRich
07-21-2016, 11:34 PM
How much do you want for your current truck? how much are they offering trade? I might buy it off you if its a good enough deal and donate it to my dad. Hes go an aging 1998 F150 with 420km. still runs good lol

ExtraSlow
07-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Forwarded you the contact info for the USA brokers I used last fall. No idea if they are still actively looking for trucks though.

If it was me, I'd be willing to fuck around with the guys on kijiji if it meant another couple grand in my pocket.

Aleks
07-22-2016, 07:58 AM
Black book on a 2012 3.5 Screw with 115,000 kms is $22,325-$24,785.

$17,000 is way too low IMO. Typically private should bring in a few grand above the low CBB range. I think 23-24 private should be an easy sale.

spikerS
07-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by InRich
How much do you want for your current truck? how much are they offering trade? I might buy it off you if its a good enough deal and donate it to my dad. Hes go an aging 1998 F150 with 420km. still runs good lol

Originally posted by Aleks
Black book on a 2012 3.5 Screw with 115,000 kms is $22,325-$24,785.

$17,000 is way too low IMO. Typically private should bring in a few grand above the low CBB range. I think 23-24 private should be an easy sale.

Well, providing my financing goes through, if someone wanted my 2012, I would be willing to go under the Black book values for Beyonders and sell it for $21,000 as is.

HiTempguy1
07-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Spikers, what is throwing you off about the tow rating?

This is one of the few cases where I would have no qualms towing near the max capacity with the 2.7L ecoboost if you like it. The trucks are literally the exact same except for the engine, anything else is them playing shenanigans with tow ratings. Unless of course you go for the max tow package 3.5l, then things change.

cet
07-22-2016, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Forwarded you the contact info for the USA brokers I used last fall. No idea if they are still actively looking for trucks though.

If it was me, I'd be willing to fuck around with the guys on kijiji if it meant another couple grand in my pocket.

Would you mind forwarding that info to me as well? I am also looking to get rid of my truck.
Thanks

spikerS
07-22-2016, 09:57 AM
The tow rating is a factor for 2 things.

1 is the resale value down the road, the max tow packages help keep value, and 2, We are eventually going to be buying a new travel trailer, and not having to worry about weight restrictions is a big bonus.

I drove the 5.0 for a day, and the 2.7 for a day. The 5.0 felt really sluggish, it really needed to rev up to start moving. the 2.7 was good, more off the line than the 5.0 but still, just didn't feel right. the 3.5L is just a friggin beast under the hood compared to the other options, and for me it feels right. I use my truck as a truck, like I don't mind putting 3k lbs of concrete and lumber in the back, all my tools etc, or even towing a car hauler with another truck on it. And the 3.5L has proven itself in the real world now, for myself too. There isn't really any questions about it, and we know what the gremlins are. Next year the new 3.5L comes out, and it creates a big question mark again.

HiTempguy1
07-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Next year the new 3.5L comes out, and it creates a big question mark again.

So why not wait until next year at the very least?

Personally, I can't see there being a huge difference between the 2012 and the 2017 if you use your truck as a truck. If you financed the first one, you've already eaten the depreciation on it, might as well drive it into the ground.

Just my 2 cents.

spikerS
07-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

So why not wait until next year at the very least?

Personally, I can't see there being a huge difference between the 2012 and the 2017 if you use your truck as a truck. If you financed the first one, you've already eaten the depreciation on it, might as well drive it into the ground.

Just my 2 cents.

Not gonna lie, that is an option. But I also have the reasoning that this next truck is going to be the truck that my eldest daughter learns to drive in. I have quite a chunk of equity in my current truck so I would like to roll that into a new truck and get warranty back. Having a large repair bill pop up outta left field is just not something I want to pay for right now. (not that my current truck is exhibiting any signs of a failure now).

but I am hesitant on the '17 EB as it is a completely new engine, and I don't wanna be first out of the gate and get one and be the guinea pig...I am pretty happy with the current 3.5L

Rocket1k78
07-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Not gonna lie, that is an option. But I also have the reasoning that this next truck is going to be the truck that my eldest daughter learns to drive in. I have quite a chunk of equity in my current truck so I would like to roll that into a new truck and get warranty back. Having a large repair bill pop up outta left field is just not something I want to pay for right now. (not that my current truck is exhibiting any signs of a failure now).

but I am hesitant on the '17 EB as it is a completely new engine, and I don't wanna be first out of the gate and get one and be the guinea pig...I am pretty happy with the current 3.5L

If you've got equity in your truck now i would just keep it(even though its a POS:rofl: last one i swear) and drive it in the ground like hitemp said. You'd basically be throwing away all that hard work and restarting the depreciation process on a new truck. Now i do see your side too because owning a turbo'd truck out of warranty can be scary but keep in mind you'll be back in this position within 3 years once the warranty on the new truck expires and with another round of depreciation under your belt.

SOAB
07-22-2016, 11:20 AM
as a comparison, when I was looking at trading in my truck and getting a new one, the dealer offered me $24K for it. of course I said that was ridiculous.

specs for my 2014:

XLT 302A package
Max tow
36,000 kms
tonneau cover
3M on front
husky floor liners
spray in bedliner

I ended up selling it privately on kijiji for $32k.

took about 4 days from the day I listed to the day the new owner drove it home.

for $8,000 it was worth the extra effort.

don't settle for something you don't want. wait for the dealer to find you a 3.5 Eco with the Max tow package with the options you want. this will give you the payload and tow rating you will need for a future travel trailer.

factory orders for 2016 trucks have closed or else that would be what I would recommend.

r3ccOs
07-22-2016, 11:42 AM
as a comparison, when I was looking at trading in my truck and getting a new one, the dealer offered me $24K for it. of course I said that was ridiculous.

specs for my 2014:

XLT 302A package
Max tow
36,000 kms
tonneau cover
3M on front
husky floor liners
spray in bedliner

I ended up selling it privately on kijiji for $32k.

took about 4 days from the day I listed to the day the new owner drove it home.

for $8,000 it was worth the extra effort.

don't settle for something you don't want. wait for the dealer to find you a 3.5 Eco with the Max tow package with the options you want. this will give you the payload and tow rating you will need for a future travel trailer.

factory orders for 2016 trucks have closed or else that would be what I would recommend.

anyone who bought I think roughly 2012-2014 for the last gen for a package between an XLT XTR to a Lariat/FX4 did really well...

I bought my truck for 34,500 w/ the same 302A max tow and like you said, can easily still get just north of 30k for it...
drove it for 2 years, and it barely depreciated thanks to the currency difference.

My issue with the new gen, is that the gremlins of the 3.5 isn't take care of yet.

I may wait till the new 2nd gen 3.5 and the 10 speed to be proven to move on in 2018.

That said, the Coyote 5.0 w/ the 6R80 is really a bulletproof combo, and being basically the lightest truck in the segment with this gen, is very very capable for both payload and towing w/o having to go to ecoboost.

I think reliability wize, the 5.0 because it doesn't have that MDS, is better than the Hemi, the GM's LS3 and 5.3...

I would almost reckon that a 5.0 F150 isn't so far off in reliability than Tundra.

benyl
07-22-2016, 11:50 AM

I have quite a chunk of equity in my current truck so I would like to roll that into a new truck and get warranty back.

By rolling the equity of your current truck into a new truck, you have effectively made your current truck worth $0 once the new one is 2 years old.

I've got a 2010 with the 5.4L. I wanted the 2015, but it wasn't worth it for me because at the time, I only had 50K kms. The truck now has 75K kms.

I haven't had any real issues (other than leaking transmission fluid all over rage2's driveway hahahaha).

My heated seat doesn't work,but I bought the replacement pad for $25 in the US when I was there last.

I am tempted to get a 2017 Raptor, but I think I will wait for the 2018. I might hit 100K km by then.

HiTempguy1
07-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

because owning a turbo'd truck out of warranty can be scary

This is actually a huge statistical fallacy.

By purchasing a new truck, he is actually increasing the odds of a failure, not decreasing them.

Modern day trucks can easily go 400k+ kms with nothing more than normal service. Additionally, newer vehicles are getting so complicated, a lot of them suffer from electrical failures that have no fix but to replace everything, rather than relatively "simple" mechanical failures.

Turbochargers are cheap to replace, and boost is actually really easy on a motor compared to high compression. It's literally like a cushion.

Darell_n
07-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

This is actually a huge statistical fallacy.

By purchasing a new truck, he is actually increasing the odds of a failure, not decreasing them.

Modern day trucks can easily go 400k+ kms with nothing more than normal service. Additionally, newer vehicles are getting so complicated, a lot of them suffer from electrical failures that have no fix but to replace everything, rather than relatively "simple" mechanical failures.

Turbochargers are cheap to replace, and boost is actually really easy on a motor compared to high compression. It's literally like a cushion.

Easier on the engine but making high torque at low RPM is hell on the entire drivetrain.

corsvette
07-22-2016, 10:02 PM
The used market for F150's is pretty hot right now. Usually they are the lower resale value trucks, however, they aren't part of the massive Takata airbag recall so they are still able to be sold and shipped to the US. This is driving up the prices as buyers avoid the Ram's/Sierras/Silverados.

You'd probably off load it pretty quick on Kijiji for good coin.

ShermanEF9
07-22-2016, 10:46 PM
I personally would have a very hard time going from the ecoboost to something NA, especially the GM 5.3. I'd look for an eco. even the 2.7 is ballsy. are you towing much?

r3ccOs
07-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
I personally would have a very hard time going from the ecoboost to something NA, especially the GM 5.3. I'd look for an eco. even the 2.7 is ballsy. are you towing much?

I don't know if I can say this is true... I definately don't care for a big goofy unbalanced V8 reving like a Harley just to get moving, but gone are the days of the Triton

I had a HEMI for a month, and I personally think that throttle response was better on the HEMI than my Ecoboost, where you needed to wait just a smidge before the boost came on.

The same is true with the 6.2 I test drove, and even at our elevation... I felt it got moving in a hurry, and yes though it revs, it came on smooth and I can say that I wouldn't miss the ecoboost with that engine.

Mind you with both of those examples was unloaded and not towing. When towing, I just LOVE hearing those turbos spool full boost,while pulling along while under 3k on the Tach... It really is diesel like, and that's what turbos do best these days... Big flat mid-range torque curves.

Nav13
07-23-2016, 02:09 PM

spikerS
07-27-2016, 01:00 PM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/2016-ford-f150-722-p1_zpslpfwux11.jpg

Baygirl and I pulled the trigger last night.

Getting the box liner put in today, detailed tomorrow, and delivery on Friday.

2016 F-150 XLT with FX4 sport package and 302a in shadow black with black interior and tow package. Didn't opt for max tow as it only really nets me 2000 lbs capacity, and this truck is rated for 10,200 lbs. We also stayed with the 3.5L EcoBoost

max_boost
07-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Congrats spikerS! that's a damn fine truck!

TomcoPDR
07-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Nice truck. You went black eh

AndyL
07-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Congrats!

Aleks
07-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Trade in the 2012?

Darkane
07-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Nice truck. You went black eh

Once you go...

spikerS
07-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Trade in the 2012?

Planning on it unless someone buys it before Friday

redline
07-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Congrats on the purchase, what dealer did you go with ?

spikerS
07-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by redline
Congrats on the purchase, what dealer did you go with ?

Went through Sorath at Woodridge Ford. He got a guy named James in touch with me and it all went fairly smooth.

I abandoned 2 other dealers before that as the experience was horrible.

redline
07-27-2016, 09:16 PM
^^ that is every Ford dealer I have been in. I just get creeped out every time I walk in one

leftwing
07-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Congrats spikerS!

Do you mind sharing what you got off sticker price?

Question for all of you: Looking at a F150 - Sticker is 77K dealer said expect about 16K off that in rebates/incentives - about 61K. What is a reasonable offer? is 53K to lowball?

Darkane
07-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by leftwing
Congrats spikerS!

Do you mind sharing what you got off sticker price?

Question for all of you: Looking at a F150 - Sticker is 77K dealer said expect about 16K off that in rebates/incentives - about 61K. What is a reasonable offer? is 53K to lowball?

You won't see lower than 61k right now.

Maybe 60 if you have Costco, furthermore if you buy on Saturday they may give up 1-2% of the holdback and let you have it for 59-60. 53k isn't realistic, you must not have a clear idea on new vehicle pricing.

G-ZUS
07-28-2016, 08:24 AM
Congrads on the new truck Spikers! Is it fully loaded bro?

redline
07-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

lol

redline
07-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Maybe 60 if you have Costco, furthermore if you buy on Saturday they may give up 1-2% of the holdback and let you have it for 59-60. 53k isn't realistic, you must not have a clear idea on new vehicle pricing.

You need to send Inrich to negotiated for you he will get it for 49K bro...

if they have a truck that you want in Oct or Nov you might have better luck getting better then employee price

Darkane
07-28-2016, 09:22 AM

if they have a truck that you want in Oct or Nov you might have better luck getting better then employee price

Right. Employee pricing is a good time to buy but not necessarily the best.

Best time as said above is usually year end, on the last day of the month, preferably Saturday.

Ford usually has better delivery incentives and THEN haggle down to invoice pricing (employee price). If you're good, and lucky you can catch a late production run truck that hasn't been on the lot long. This way you can try for an additional 1-2% off from dealer holdback.

G-ZUS
07-28-2016, 09:24 AM

He's all about that all-in pricing

leftwing
07-28-2016, 11:12 AM

Well I've done lots of research, but yes this is my first time buying a brand new vehicle so not sure on the process - but I do know what I want to pay. So your saying he gave me his best price without me even asking? That doesn't sound right. And yes I know I won't get the truck for 53. Hoping for 57-58. No need to be condescending.

Darkane
07-28-2016, 11:23 AM

Well I've done lots of research, but yes this is my first time buying a brand new vehicle so not sure on the process - but I do know what I want to pay. So your saying he gave me his best price without me even asking? That doesn't sound right. And yes I know I won't get the truck for 53. Hoping for 57-58. No need to be condescending.

I wasn't trying to be condescending. So my apologies.

Thing is, ford employee pricing includes the "wiggle room" most dealers have.

The next chunk of change is the dealer holdback. This represents 2-3% of the vehicles worth and dealers very rarely dip into this as its used to pay financing on the cost of the vehicle to have it sit in the lot. The sooner a vehicle leaves the lot after it arrives, the better chance you may have of getting some hold back.

As an experiment, try offering what you had in mind and let us know how it goes. I'm quite curious what they'll say.

leftwing
07-28-2016, 11:34 AM

I wasn't trying to be condescending. So my apologies.

Thing is, ford employee pricing includes the "wiggle room" most dealers have.

The next chunk of change is the dealer holdback. This represents 2-3% of the vehicles worth and dealers very rarely dip into this as its used to pay financing on the cost of the vehicle to have it sit in the lot. The sooner a vehicle leaves the lot after it arrives, the better chance you may have of getting some hold back.

As an experiment, try offering what you had in mind and let us know how it goes. I'm quite curious what they'll say.

No problem

The truck I'm looking at has been on the lot for a few weeks at least, so what your saying is wiggle room is diminishing. But at the same time, obviously the truck isn't a hot seller so would they not be wanting to get rid of it? Or are they patient with holding vehicles? I'm tempted to offer 53 and see what they say haha but I also want to offer right below my best offer and leave it until they (hopefully) cave in. I don't neeeeed this truck or anything so I am 100% fine walking away. I also have to negotiate my trade in. Either way I will let you know how it ends up.

SOAB
07-28-2016, 11:37 AM
no, I don't think you'll get it for 58.

A-plan (employee price) minus rebates is basically the best pricing you can get and still allow the dealer to make a little profit to keep the doors open. you should be able to negotiate a little bit off of that from their 2% holdback but not much. they still need to pay the salesperson, business manager, office staff, etc.

this is what my truck deal ended up being:

MSRP $72,000 or so
invoice price was $64,500 or so
Employee price was $62,900 or so
minus $4750 factory rebate
minus $1000 Costco
minus $745 I was able to negotiate

total $56405 + GST.

could I have done better? maybe. by how much? probably not much to be honest. once the dealership is dipping into the holdback, that is basically bottom of the barrel for them.

I am also ok with a dealership being able to make some sort of a profit from a deal. some people aren't.

spikerS
07-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

In the words of InRich, it's fully loaded except for sunroof. It's also less the max tow package. :rofl:

It actually has a really nice load out. I don't think I would want anything more in this rig.

SOAB
07-28-2016, 11:40 AM
$24K off list is your offer? I think you may get laughed out of the dealership, but that's just my opinion.

ExtraSlow
07-28-2016, 10:36 PM
SPiKeRs did good. It's a sweeet tRuCk!

r3ccOs
07-29-2016, 11:38 AM
has anyone done a towing comparison between the new gen vs old gen 3.5 F150s? I've heard the decreased weight has made it a little less stable and front end light even though the frame was beefed up...

also toolboxes can puncture the bed!!!! :poosie:

hehe, why I ask is I was thinking of moving up to a 3/4 but in the gas world, they are awfully underpowered with maybe the exception of the V10 they are brining back or the older pre 09 V10 superduty

codetrap
07-29-2016, 12:47 PM

ExtraSlow
07-29-2016, 10:03 PM
Carefully setting up your WDH and adjusting your load will be crucial. Probably help quite a bit to put as much weight into the bed of the truck if you can help it.

btimbit
07-30-2016, 07:07 PM
Nicely done spikers! Guy a work with just got an identical truck, colour, loadout, everything, and it's beautiful.

spikerS
07-30-2016, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Nicely done spikers! Guy a work with just got an identical truck, colour, loadout, everything, and it's beautiful.

yeah, it is really growing on me. I kinda let the girls have the final say, as all i needed was a new truck to haul a trailer and my tools, after that, i left it up to them, and they did good.

it is by far the most loaded vehicle I have ever had, and while I wanted a brighter color, I am really digging the black on black.

btimbit
07-30-2016, 07:15 PM
I never was big on the looks of these new ones until I saw one with the Sports appearance pack. Ditching the chrome on the front really makes that a looker

spikerS
07-30-2016, 07:16 PM
I never was big on the looks of these new ones until I saw one with the Sports appearance pack. Ditching the chrome on the front really makes that a looker

I liked the chrome, but on a black truck, the sports package is killer.

relyt92
07-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Does this have the LED headlights? If so, how are they at night?

spikerS
07-30-2016, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
Does this have the LED headlights? If so, how are they at night?

I don't think so, pretty sure still halogens. I got LED puddle And LED spot lights tho.

But the headlights on this gen are light years ahead of the last gen. They are so much better, and when combined with the LED fog lamps (I think they are led), it's way better.

spikerS
07-31-2016, 01:32 AM
Holy shit. Sport mode and the 3.5L EcoBoost have no business being together in a truck! But holy hell is it ever fucking fun!

As far as I can tell, sport mode will change all the shift points, keep your RPM in the sweet spot of the torque curve, and hold the gears a lot longer. Kinda feels like it may stiffen up the suspension too, but I am not sure.

Super fun though!

btimbit
07-31-2016, 12:42 PM
Dammit spikers, now you're making me go test drive one (driving my 04 through a puddle yesterday that the engine didn't agree with didn't help either)

Seeing as you just got it I think I know the answer, but have you towed with it yet? Reading lots of things about sway from he truck being so light, but not sure how much of that is people not knowing how to distribute weight or set up sway bars

spikerS
08-01-2016, 11:08 PM
Dammit spikers, now you're making me go test drive one (driving my 04 through a puddle yesterday that the engine didn't agree with didn't help either)

Seeing as you just got it I think I know the answer, but have you towed with it yet? Reading lots of things about sway from he truck being so light, but not sure how much of that is people not knowing how to distribute weight or set up sway bars

No, I haven't towed with it yet, but the truck feels really well planted on the ground, I haven't encountered a situation with it yet that I have felt it slipping. Mind you, I have only been driving it a couple days.

If you are looking for a new one, Woodridge has a referral program, and I would be happy to use it and split it with you. Sorath is the finance manager there, and James was awesome to deal with.

spikerS
08-01-2016, 11:14 PM
and here are the actual pics of the truck, in front of my house. I gotta say, the black on black is really growing on me.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/20160729_144714_zpsxv7a3isz.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/20160729_144728_zpsucqe0ny2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/20160729_144741_zpsvc5ddmki.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a334/Snorakk/20160729_144804_zpshvtmgbdi.jpg

InRich
08-02-2016, 01:14 AM
I like it man! congratz! :thumbsup:

SOAB
08-04-2016, 09:50 AM

No problem

The truck I'm looking at has been on the lot for a few weeks at least, so what your saying is wiggle room is diminishing. But at the same time, obviously the truck isn't a hot seller so would they not be wanting to get rid of it? Or are they patient with holding vehicles? I'm tempted to offer 53 and see what they say haha but I also want to offer right below my best offer and leave it until they (hopefully) cave in. I don't neeeeed this truck or anything so I am 100% fine walking away. I also have to negotiate my trade in. Either way I will let you know how it ends up.

just wondering if you were successful with your offer of $58k.

leftwing
08-08-2016, 05:54 PM

I did not end up putting an offer on that vehicle (yet). I have been out of the city for 8 of the last 9 days so I haven't been very active looking for a truck.

cloud7
08-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Holy shit. Sport mode and the 3.5L EcoBoost have no business being together in a truck! But holy hell is it ever fucking fun!

As far as I can tell, sport mode will change all the shift points, keep your RPM in the sweet spot of the torque curve, and hold the gears a lot longer. Kinda feels like it may stiffen up the suspension too, but I am not sure.

Super fun though!

Congrats on the new truck. Yes, the S light brings smiles to my face every time I drive my truck. The shifts are rougher though and I think they probably could have done the transmission programming a little better. However, overall it it is just makes it so responsive and so much fun.

SOAB
08-10-2016, 09:04 AM
I can't believe how much Sport mode transforms the acceleration of the truck! it's crazy how fast these trucks are when they aren't on fuel nanny mode. puts a huge grin on my face when I need to get in front of someone. :D

spikerS
08-10-2016, 09:16 AM
I can't believe how much Sport mode transforms the acceleration of the truck! it's crazy how fast these trucks are when they aren't on fuel nanny mode. puts a huge grin on my face when I need to get in front of someone. :D

It's nuts. It transforms the whole truck to the point it doesn't feel like a truck anymore, and paired with the 3.5 EB, the full 420lbs of TQ are always available to plant you in your seat.

Like I said, this mode has no business being in a truck. This sport mode is more suited to a sports car. Not that I am complaining of course, it puts a smile on my face every time I use it.

leftwing
08-12-2016, 05:17 PM

Negotiated on a different truck, MSRP of 75.5K had it around 59.5K. Ended up buying a different truck though. You were right though, the dealership doesn't have much room to move after employee pricing - this I wasn't aware of, now I know!

SkiBum5.0
08-12-2016, 07:57 PM

Negotiated on a different truck, MSRP of 75.5K had it around 59.5K. Ended up buying a different truck though. You were right though, the dealership doesn't have much room to move after employee pricing - this I wasn't aware of, now I know!

I'm assuming that's a stacked Platinum? I only bring it up because I bought a 2012 Platinum new, and it was a full $12000 cheaper. I can't get over the price difference between 2014 and 2015.

Darell_n
08-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Do the 5.0 trucks have sport mode too? My work '16 F150 is waiting on decals before I bring it home.

leftwing
08-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

I'm assuming that's a stacked Platinum? I only bring it up because I bought a 2012 Platinum new, and it was a full $12000 cheaper. I can't get over the price difference between 2014 and 2015.

Yeah well a fairly stacked Platinum, you can option a Lariat out to over 80K which is kind of ridiculous I think.

leftwing
08-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Do the 5.0 trucks have sport mode too? My work '16 F150 is waiting on decals before I bring it home.

I believe it is just the Ecoboost, but I could be mistaken.