PDA

View Full Version : Hit and run motorcycle accident - Can anybody help identify the driver?

Zero102
07-23-2016, 06:29 PM
First of all - the guy riding the motorcycle walked away from the crash, he was wearing a reasonable amount of safety equipment but still suffered at least some road rash. The driver who turned in front of him did not stop and left the scene.

Here is the video: (sorry for my super crappy editing skills and poor vantage point)

https://youtu.be/oJKZVOrUtXU

The accident occurred at 36th Street at 19th Avenue S.E. at approximately 3:20PM today. A northbound vehicle, which appears to be a Maroon or Burgundy 2006-2007 Toyota Highlander turned left in front of a pair of southbound motorcycles and the front motorcycle crashed as a result of this. I was only a witness to this accident and was not directly involved but when I learned that the driver left the scene I was furious and wanted to help. We have already identified the Associated Cab in the video and that information has been passed on, and the yellow cab driver following the motorcycle stopped to offer help.

I have asked the rider's permission to post the video here. Let's not turn this into a "well he should have..." type thread, I'm sure he is already replaying this in his mind and is beating himself up over any little thing he maybe could have done.

If anybody has any information that would help identify the driver in this video please PM me directly or contact the Calgary Police. I have been in touch with both the rider and the police officer who is handling this incident and will pass on any information that is provided. I also posted this video over on the Calgary subreddit to try to get some additional exposure.

HomespunLobster
07-23-2016, 06:45 PM
I just want to clarify, it's hard to tell in the video so witness statements are really the only evidence here.
Was there impact? looks like the vehicle turned, but the motorcycle was already sliding before it came into contact with anything

Isaiah
07-23-2016, 06:58 PM
From the video, it appears that the Highlander made an unsafe left turn in front of the motorcycle so even if the rider went down, it was the fault of the driver turning left, who was supposed to be yielding.

Good on the motorcyclist if he went down on purpose. A direct T-bone or even clip at that speed could well have been fatal.

bjstare
07-23-2016, 07:09 PM
Definitely the highlander made a dick move, and the rider did the classic panic-grab-a-mitt-full-of front-brake move. That really sucks, Isaiah is right too, would have been a pretty decent impact if the bike just smacked into the SUV.

Also, this was in no way even remotely a hit and run, the bike went down way before the highlander crossed his path. I'm still of the mindset that the highlander made an unsafe turn, but the critical "hit" part of the hit and run was missing. Hopefully the rider has some recourse, I'm interested to see how this turns out.

FraserB
07-23-2016, 07:09 PM
I'm interested in the outcome of this. It looks like there was no impact and like Lobster said, the bike looks like it is going over before the turn.

Maybe guessboi of MB can chime in with how insurance would handle this since it could be argued that since the biker chose to go down without hitting the car, there is limited to no liability on the car's driver.

relyt92
07-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I'm interested in the outcome of this. It looks like there was no impact and like Lobster said, the bike looks like it is going over before the turn.

Maybe guessboi of MB can chime in with how insurance would handle this since it could be argued that since the biker chose to go down without hitting the car, there is limited to no liability on the car's driver. I think that's what was said in previous discussions, without an actual impact it would be the riders fault from an insurance stand point.

Isaiah
07-23-2016, 07:17 PM
You can see that the Highlander driver stops and looks back before proceeding. He was clearly at fault, and it would be hard to argue that he was unaware of the outcome considering he stopped immediately after. If not a hit and run, at the very least he's earned a 'failing to remain at the scene of an accident' charge - the highest demerit charge at 7 points.

FraserB
07-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by relyt92
I think that's what was said in previous discussions, without an actual impact it would be the riders fault from an insurance stand point.

Like if I'm driving along, THINK I'm going to hit a car turning in front of me and swerve into the ditch, I wouldn't have any recourse from anyone else.

relyt92
07-23-2016, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
You can see that the Highlander driver stops and looks back before proceeding. He was clearly at fault, and it would be hard to argue that he was unaware of the outcome considering he stopped immediately after. If not a hit and run, at the very least he's earned a 'failing to remain at the scene of an accident' charge - the highest demerit charge at 7 points. They weren't involved in the accident though, even if they caused it. Like Fraser said, if you go into a ditch cause someone swerves towards you but there's no contact that's ends up being all on you.

Zero102
07-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Like if I'm driving along, THINK I'm going to hit a car turning in front of me and swerve into the ditch, I wouldn't have any recourse from anyone else.

I'd like to hear from one of the resident insurance experts but I've heard in the past that if you can prove you had no other option they can still be held liable. I think the footage I have is proof enough, and the footage the cab has must be even better.

That said, a keen eyed person on reddit spotted that they were actually in the middle of passing a southbound left turner when the incident happened. That may have shielded them from the view of the highlander and makes me feel a bit differently about the situation.

Kloubek
07-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately, Ive been told before that if you incur damage due to an evasive move, you are liable for it. I do not believe video of the event makes much of a difference. Almost would have been better to run into the Highlander, then they become liable. Of course, there is that injury issue and all....

Honestly, OP, even if you found the driver I just don't see how it would have a bearing on the scenario. They might get charged for the unsafe move, but that's about it. Certainly wouldn't be charged with hit and run, as there was no hit on their vehicle and they could easily claim they saw nothing.

Just my opinion. If your buddy is looking for coverage on damages from the other party, I am not sure that would happen.