PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine investment funds

move
07-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Can I pick at everyone's mind on this?

Just starting to invest with low funds (think sub 5000).. and I was reading on couchpotatoe that the tangerine investment fund is a good way to start.

Thinking of passively increasing my portfolio there (as there's little maintenance work that needs to be done, and slowly contributing monthly) while researching and learning more about investing on the side, before switching over to td e-series.

Thanks guys!

Feruk
07-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Looks like 1.07% MER for something that does the same thing as far cheaper ETFs. Pass.

I think Couch Potato does marketing for Tangerine? Conflict of interest.

Mitsu3000gt
07-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Everything a bank has ever offered me has had a hilariously bad MER. I wouldn't even consider it.

Get an account at Questrade and look into ETF's - there's a thread about it right now near the top.

Sugarphreak
07-25-2016, 12:08 PM

suntan
07-25-2016, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by move
Can I pick at everyone's mind on this?

Just starting to invest with low funds (think sub 5000).. and I was reading on couchpotatoe that the tangerine investment fund is a good way to start.

Thinking of passively increasing my portfolio there (as there's little maintenance work that needs to be done, and slowly contributing monthly) while researching and learning more about investing on the side, before switching over to td e-series.

Thanks guys! What are you trying to do? Tangerine funds are only available in Tangerine accounts, and TD e-series are available only in TD accounts. So you'd have to do a balance transfer and that costs money.

move
07-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by suntan
What are you trying to do? Tangerine funds are only available in Tangerine accounts, and TD e-series are available only in TD accounts. So you'd have to do a balance transfer and that costs money.

i have accounts at both those institutions... so thats not a real issue for me.

just trying to pick at everyones brains to see what the best way at approaching investment is, granted everyone has their own opinion.

Zero102
07-25-2016, 01:42 PM
I've been buying various tangerine / ing streetwise funds for the last 4 years. Over 4 years I've seen an average of about 6% gains per year and so I'm reasonably happy with them as they require no management on my part whatsoever. I started off using them for my RSP but have since opened a TFSA and used them there as well.

Khyron
07-25-2016, 02:56 PM

just trying to pick at everyones brains to see what the best way at approaching investment is, granted everyone has their own opinion.

The Tangerine is fine if you're under 100K. There are no fees for depositing, so do a deposit every cheque or whatever. And then it rebalances automatically.

You could do it a bit cheaper, but then the 10$/transaction would either cost you more overall, or you'd skip rebalancing to save a few bucks.

You can use the TD e series but you have to rebalance yourself every few months. Not hard, but know thyself.

suntan
07-25-2016, 03:03 PM

just trying to pick at everyones brains to see what the best way at approaching investment is, granted everyone has their own opinion. You still have to do a balance transfer. It ain't free, you have to fill out forms and it takes time. Also is this in an RRSP or TSFA account? Because otherwise when you do the transfer it would have to be a transfer in cash which could result in cap gains.

move
07-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by suntan
You still have to do a balance transfer. It ain't free, you have to fill out forms and it takes time. Also is this in an RRSP or TSFA account? Because otherwise when you do the transfer it would have to be a transfer in cash which could result in cap gains.

this is in a tfsa account...

did some readings and i think i might switch over to quest trade. im in front of a computer all day.. don't think rebalancing would take too much time/be too much of a hassle.

dandia89
07-25-2016, 03:36 PM

did some readings and i think i might switch over to quest trade. im in front of a computer all day.. don't think rebalancing would take too much time/be too much of a hassle.

get a referral from quest trade and you'll get some free trades from it.

suntan
07-25-2016, 03:41 PM

did some readings and i think i might switch over to quest trade. im in front of a computer all day.. don't think rebalancing would take too much time/be too much of a hassle. Yeah that would be a good move. I think they still offer free trades on a lot of ETFs.