PDA

View Full Version : Best French fries served in calgary?

Hero_X
07-31-2016, 08:09 PM
So I'm looking for suggestions on restaurants that serve delicious French fries.

Obviously people have different preferences but I'm looking for lots of flavor and volume cuz I'm a pig.

I really like opa fries but I find they're not too crispy.

McDonald's are ok but often they are cold and soft lol maybe I just order at bad times.

I want to try some other places besides these two.

Share your thoughts =)

ExtraSlow
07-31-2016, 08:27 PM
I've always been happy with Boogies. Also have enjoyed the yam fries.

speedog
07-31-2016, 08:29 PM
Family sized fries from CB's except they're closed for a couple of weeks for vacation time.

speedog
07-31-2016, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I've always been happy with Boogies. Also have enjoyed the yam fries.

Never have been, just tried Angel's for the first time this weekend. Very slow service but the burger was quite good and curly fries too.

Hero_X
07-31-2016, 09:04 PM
Another friend of mine recommended cb too.

Too bad they're closed =/

Fries from Peter's drive in are not bad too but they're so tiny.. length wise. Lots of volume but just small pieces.

rx7_turbo2
07-31-2016, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Family sized fries from CB's except they're closed for a couple of weeks for vacation time.

Grew up in the NW? By all accounts CB's are generic brand, crinkle cut frozen fries with no name brand seasoning salt. They should be terrible, but they are amazing. They are the taste of my youth. Eating them is like a time machine. If you didn't grow up eating CB's you probably won't get it.

In terms of fresh cut fries I know NYF is a big corporate conglomerate but their fries are pretty tasty.

GenerationX
07-31-2016, 09:31 PM

This. Their poutine too. :drool:

BigMass
07-31-2016, 09:41 PM
Smashburger smashfries tossed in olive oil, rosemary, and garlic. Fucking amazing :drool: sweet potato or regular

in terms of higher end restaurant, the duck fat-fried french fries from a place on 8th were amazing but I forget the name :(

speedog
07-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Grew up in the NW? By all accounts CB's are generic brand, crinkle cut frozen fries with no name brand seasoning salt. They should be terrible, but they are amazing. They are the taste of my youth. Eating them is like a time machine. If you didn't grow up eating CB's you probably won't get it.

In terms of fresh cut fries I know NYF is a big corporate conglomerate but their fries are pretty tasty.

Didn't grow up in Calgary at all, moved here just before my 18th birthday. Yeah, there's nothing special about what appears to be the base ingredients of CB's fries but they're sill great. My daughter also says their poutine is great as well.

jwslam
07-31-2016, 10:24 PM
Nobody has said Costco* / Ikea?
Not sure what that "coating" on them is but I find it to be like crack.

*in before "you need a membership for Costco".
No you don't. Just walk in from the exit side. The concession is open to all and cash only.

relyt92
07-31-2016, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

No you don't. Just walk in from the exit side. The concession is open to all and cash only. Not anymore, they seem to be enforcing needing a membership even for that lately.

danno
07-31-2016, 11:07 PM
Costco typically don't allow people to just walk in for food.
A guy at work suggested angels in Bowne ss and it was disgusting. If I'm spending over 12$ for food give me five guys every time.

Not trying to compare but wife wanted to go out for food and beers and would only go to Hudsons, small portion gross food and expensive.

RY213
07-31-2016, 11:49 PM

Never have been, just tried Angel's for the first time this weekend. Very slow service but the burger was quite good and curly fries too.

Angels is fucking disgusting, one of the worst, overhyped places in Calgary. Rather eat Mcdonalds...

Disoblige
08-01-2016, 02:11 AM
For Costco, just say you have to get a prescription filled. You don't need a Costco membership to use their pharmacy.

TomcoPDR
08-01-2016, 03:28 AM
I like fatburger fries. Kinda like McDonald's but with skins on the end

blueToy
08-01-2016, 06:18 AM
CB's for a fries/seasoning quick fix. Decent fast food and good people, plus they are close to home!

For the bigger cut fries, but not wedgies, there is Buchanans or Mug Shotz. If you hit Buchanans from 3-6, m-f, you can get their $20 burger for $13 in the lounge. Awesome deal as their burgers are one of the best in this city.

Mug Shotz also has great wings, and a decent burger to go with their fries. Wing nights were wednesday and friday last time I was there ( three months or so). Lots of good flavours.

Its been a while but I recall Five Guys have some decent fries. I do remember you get lots for a order, and a small was good for two people.

speedog
08-01-2016, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by RY213

Angels is fucking disgusting, one of the worst, overhyped places in Calgary. Rather eat Mcdonalds...

Most on-line reviews would appear to disagree with your opinion.

Like I said previously, it was my first visit and the food I ordered seemed good for what could be expected out of such an establishment but the time to wait to get what was a very simple order (burger, fries and Coke) was excessively long to me. I certainly won't drive out of my way to go there as CB's is the closest mom'n'pop burger place to where we live and while it's even more generic food there, it still fits the bill and stomach for some strange reason.

There is just something about the burgers and fries one can get at the mom'n'pop places that is totally different then any chain stuff and I'll include Fatburger, Smashburger and Five guys in the chain stuff. There aren't many mom'n'pop places left in Calgary - off the top of my head I can think of Angels, CB's and Boogies. I know there's a burger bus or two around as well. Even Peter's is testing out the waters of multiple locations - chain in their future?

rx7_turbo2
08-01-2016, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
Smashburger smashfries tossed in olive oil, rosemary, and garlic. Fucking amazing :drool: sweet potato or regular

We can't seem to agree on anything ;)

I'm not a big fan of the "shoestring" style fries that seem to be all the rage, and for me a fry should have salt on it, seasoning salt at the most. No need for olive oil, truffle oil, or any type of herbs. The exception to my "shoestring" hate is McDonalds, their fries are like crack.

I don't want a big thick cut fry, average size, fluffy in the middle, crispy on the outside, seasoned with salt only. Fries should be so easy yet they're often screwed up. Chicken on The Way, Five Guys, their fries while fresh cut always seem soggy.

blairtruck
08-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
For Costco, just say you have to get a prescription filled. You don't need a Costco membership to use their pharmacy.
this is how you get it without membership.

suntan
08-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Naina's, but ask them to hold back on the salt.

msommers
08-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Where has thick-cut fries these days? Willy's used to have awesome ones with the skin still on, so damn good!

Example:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Baked-Thick-Cut-Potatoes.jpg

suntan
08-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Naina's.

msommers
08-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Gotch ya. Thanks!

Mixalot27
08-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Been a while since I've been there, but Chicken on the way used to have some pretty good hand-cut skin on fries. You can't let them sit in the cardboard box for too long or they get soggy though.

I've also always liked Swiss Chalet fries.

dirtsniffer
08-01-2016, 10:02 PM
The donair place in riverbend has awesome fries.

dj_rice
08-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Nobody has said Costco* / Ikea?
Not sure what that "coating" on them is but I find it to be like crack.

No you don't. Just walk in from the exit side. The concession is open to all and cash only.

Costco's fries are Cavendish crispy coated fries. You can buy them as well for home consumption in the freezer isle.

RY213
08-02-2016, 07:28 AM

Most on-line reviews would appear to disagree with your opinion.

Those reviews were most likely written by owners and staff. I challenge anyone to try it and disagree with me. Check Zomato/urbanspoon, many reviews agreeing with me.

The burger consisted of a giant bun with a paper thin beef patty that was dry as fuck. Topped with sheets of iceberg lettuce and smothered in the disgusting mayo sauce. Nothing was fresh or homemade, all frozen trash.

The restaurant itself is in serious need of some tlc. Tables were stained with mustard and ketchup, building was run down, their picnic area was in shambles with benches falling apart and overgrown plants (weeds). It's obvious the owners do not care about this place.

I'm all for supporting the independent mom and pop burger places and diners over all the chains. This place is just trash.

speedog
08-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by RY213

Those reviews were most likely written by owners and staff. I challenge anyone to try it and disagree with me. Check Zomato/urbanspoon, many reviews agreeing with me.

The burger consisted of a giant bun with a paper thin beef patty that was dry as fuck. Topped with sheets of iceberg lettuce and smothered in the disgusting mayo sauce. Nothing was fresh or homemade, all frozen trash.

The restaurant itself is in serious need of some tlc. Tables were stained with mustard and ketchup, building was run down, their picnic area was in shambles with benches falling apart and overgrown plants (weeds). It's obvious the owners do not care about this place.

I'm all for supporting the independent mom and pop burger places and diners over all the chains. This place is just trash.
My, my, you are such a negative Nellie. It's not like CB's or Boogies or Rocky's Burger Bus or the Dearhead Cafe are all that fancy either but they all seem to have their fans - haven't been to Dearhead yet but should wander over because it is so near to my place. Probably closest dive like restaurant to me.

BTW, OP as looking for tasty and volume - volume is something most places don't do with the exception of the divier mom and pop places.

schocker
08-02-2016, 08:13 AM
My favorites are probably the sweet potato fries at smash burger or the fries from wow chicken as they are extra crispy.

bjstare
08-02-2016, 08:24 AM
Local on 8th has delicious shoestring fries, classic with only salt, always crispy.

Also, Blue Star diner for lunch or supper - they have amazing burgers, and if you request the fries extra crispy it's a spiritual experience.

Strider
08-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Not fries per se, but the twice-cooked duck fat fried potatoes at OEB :drool:

jwslam
08-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Strider
Not fries per se, but the twice-cooked duck fat fried potatoes at OEB :drool:
Also duck fat fries with parm @ Charcut :love:

suntan
08-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Bleh. Had them. Totally overrated.

darthVWader
08-02-2016, 12:54 PM
CB's x 1000 (Went to St Margaret's) fries of my youth as well.

Donair on the run in Cochrane does a great copy of the CB's fries.

lasimmon
08-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Where is CB's? Is it short for something?

suntan
08-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Calgary's Best

http://cb-driveinn.com/

FixedGear
08-02-2016, 05:50 PM

My, my, you are such a negative Nellie. It's not like CB's or Boogies or Rocky's Burger Bus or the Dearhead Cafe are all that fancy either but they all seem to have their fans - haven't been to Dearhead yet but should wander over because it is so near to my place. Probably closest dive like restaurant to me.

BTW, OP as looking for tasty and volume - volume is something most places don't do with the exception of the divier mom and pop places.

To be fair, both CBs and Peters totally suck. They serve the cheapest, lowest quality frozen food you can buy. The burger bus is awesome because they hand make the food from fresh beef. Not sure about boogies or angels because I've never been to either.

Hero_X
08-02-2016, 06:02 PM
So what's up with CB?

Someone earlier mentioned they may be on vacation... Google claims it should be open today.. But when I call no one picks up :dunno:

Lol I really want to try it out after all the suggestions

speedog
08-02-2016, 06:15 PM
CB'S is closed for their vacation, I believe that they do this every summer.

rx7_turbo2
08-02-2016, 06:49 PM
CB's has been run by the same family since as long as I can remember. They almost always close for a week or so in July. The main owner is a total character always calling out orders in a deep voice, over the years he's referred to me as Captain, Chief and Boss "Ok Chief" "Eye Eye Captain". He's been doing this since I was 8 years old (Was bussed in to St Margarets for shop class)

I want to be very very clear. CB's is not a gourmet burger joint. The fries are frozen no name brand crinkle fries with no name brand seasoning salt. The burgers (Master Burger FTMFW) is a frozen patty, charbroiled through one of those old school machines, the bun is ok, the veggies are fresh, special sauce is tasty. Don't go there expecting a transcendent experience though.

For me, and everyone else I know who grew up in the area scrounging nickels and dimes together for a Master Burger Combo, the place is an essential part of growing up here. It is completely unchanged, everything tastes exactly like it did when I was just a little kid using the scorching hot bag of fries to keep my hands warm waiting for the bus. Because of that eating there offers me more than just a burger and fries.

bball2
08-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Lot 102 on the Corner of Memorial and 10th street NW in Kensington.

The Rosemary Parmesan fries... :drool:

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/ijLZAu6YhX4Y8tst7J4b2w/o.jpg

RY213
08-02-2016, 08:21 PM
Lot 102 is fantastic! I agree, great fries!

RY213
08-02-2016, 08:23 PM

Just telling it like it is! No reason to go to Angels, try any of the other places you listed instead.

BigMass
08-02-2016, 08:26 PM
I'm a big fan of the Inglewood Drive In. Top notch in what matters, burgers, fries and shakes!
https://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/112427305.jpg

Maxt
08-02-2016, 08:33 PM
I hate this thread... I've been carb free for 6 months and all this fry talk is testing my will power.

speedog
08-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
I hate this thread... I've been carb free for 6 months and all this fry talk is testing my will power.

Use the force, Maxt, use the force. Feel it flow through you.

rx7_turbo2
08-02-2016, 09:13 PM

Um ya I'll have a Master burger no bun. Deep Chineese guy voice "Get out of here Chief"

darthVWader
08-03-2016, 06:27 AM
CB's has been run by the same family since as long as I can remember. They almost always close for a week or so in July. The main owner is a total character always calling out orders in a deep voice, over the years he's referred to me as Captain, Chief and Boss "Ok Chief" "Eye Eye Captain". He's been doing this since I was 8 years old (Was bussed in to St Margarets for shop class)

I want to be very very clear. CB's is not a gourmet burger joint. The fries are frozen no name brand crinkle fries with no name brand seasoning salt. The burgers (Master Burger FTMFW) is a frozen patty, charbroiled through one of those old school machines, the bun is ok, the veggies are fresh, special sauce is tasty. Don't go there expecting a transcendent experience though.

For me, and everyone else I know who grew up in the area scrounging nickels and dimes together for a Master Burger Combo, the place is an essential part of growing up here. It is completely unchanged, everything tastes exactly like it did when I was just a little kid using the scorching hot bag of fries to keep my hands warm waiting for the bus. Because of that eating there offers me more than just a burger and fries.

Also for sum reason the deep fried pizza pop is really really good.

suntan
08-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear

To be fair, both CBs and Peters totally suck. They serve the cheapest, lowest quality frozen food you can buy. The burger bus is awesome because they hand make the food from fresh beef. Not sure about boogies or angels because I've never been to either. Peter's uses fresh meat. And potato buns. I find them pretty good. The new owners changed the fries to Kennebec potatoes, they're very similar to In-N-Out fries, except Peters cooks them a tad longer. The onion rings however are awful.

Also their milkshakes have always been excellent.

darthVWader
08-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by suntan
Peter's uses fresh meat. And potato buns. I find them pretty good. The new owners changed the fries to Kennebec potatoes, they're very similar to In-N-Out fries, except Peters cooks them a tad longer. The onion rings however are awful.

Also their milkshakes have always been excellent.

And I'm not a fan of Peters burgers or fries but love the rings and shakes.
Earls has pretty good shoestring fries.

AndyL
08-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Surprised nobody's said alberta king of subs...

But its just smoked meat poutine - who the Frick would eat just fries when you have that option?

Angels in bowness - disgusting, but bownesians seem to like it for some unknown reason... Everyone I knew in bowness raved about the place, I went there twice, it was inedible

killramos
08-03-2016, 11:00 AM
I used to be a huge Peter's fan. Going a couple times a month at least and drove across the city to get it.

Last 3-4 times I have been there I was physically sick after eating, and I have a pretty strong stomach. Kept stupidly giving them another try hence the 3-4 times. Between that and the price of a double cheese bumping over 5 dollars ( 5.9 now :eek: ) and I haven't been there in well over a year.

Peters hasn't been a decent fast food joint in years imho. I would rather eat A&W.

As for best fries i find a surprising amount of small time bars turning out some fantastic truffle fries with Aioli lately. Can't go wrong there.

suntan
08-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Doesn't the double have four patties? I can barely finish a single with its two patties.

killramos
08-03-2016, 11:12 AM
2 and a half :rolleyes:

Used to be $4.20 forever. And used to be so good I could easily down 3 of them.

suntan
08-03-2016, 12:30 PM
Three at once??? Yikes.

schocker
08-03-2016, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by killramos
2 and a half :rolleyes:

Used to be $4.20 forever. And used to be so good I could easily down 3 of them.
When I went there a few months ago I only got 2 patties! The fries were so gross and limp though. :barf:
Will go back when it is nice out for Tuesday drive lunch :rofl:

bourge73
08-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Hearts Choices food truck came by my work last week, and wow
some of the best damn Fries I have had in the YYC

Type_S1
08-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Angels = disgusting. I felt sick to my stomach half way through the burger as did the 2 others I was with. The taste was aweful and the place seemed super dirty. A frozen burger on my bbq with a generic bun tastes waaayyy better.

The rest of the dives mentioned in here give you what you would expect and you won't leave feeling sick. Burger 420 is quite good all around but I'd rate their fries a 7/10 only.

rx7_turbo2
08-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
. Burger 420 is quite good all around but I'd rate their fries a 7/10 only.

On the recomendation of a friend I gave Burger 320 a shot. Bun was dry, meat was dry. I'll give it another go, maybe it was an off day.

There's a lot of hate on for the "dive" places. I get it, I can't stand Peter's, Angel's I also wasn't a fan of. But I enjoy CB's, which I recognize others don't like. As I mentioned previously sometimes there's more to these places than the burger and fries, there's a memory. Because of this I try not to shit on the other places since I understand that while I don't like them the reason others might is lost on me because I don't share that intangible feeling eating there provides.

The one thing I will stand firm on is that a perfect fry is cut average in size, fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside and seasoned with salt. Truffle/Olive oil, rosemary, garlic aoli WTF ;)

speedog
08-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Hipsters got to have their fries too, no?

Strider
08-04-2016, 03:39 PM
:facepalm: to suggesting holes in the wall serving run-of-the-mill frozen fries based on nostalgia which has absolutely no value to OP

speedog
08-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Strider
:facepalm: to suggesting holes in the wall serving run-of-the-mill frozen fries based on nostalgia which has absolutely no value to OP

OP wants lots of flavour and volume, CB's would fit the bill quite nicely. Some of the suggested places, although tasty, would probably not offer much in the way of volume.

JordanEG6
08-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Fry Day is supposed to be pretty good. Anyone ever been? Fast Food wise, I've always enjoyed Five Guys fries.

The exception to my "shoestring"; hate is McDonalds, their fries are like crack.

Hot, fresh and tasty for about 7 minutes. Then they turn into garbage. lol

Disoblige
08-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

Hot, fresh and tasty for about 7 minutes. Then they turn into garbage. lol
7 minutes of heaven :drool:

Same as mini donuts IMO.

RealJimmyJames
08-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Had fish and chips at Big Fish today. Always love the fish there, but fries were somehow quite cardboardy in texture. Didn't look overcooked, but were clearly too hard.
Fish excellent as always.

Hero_X
08-06-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. Seems like CB will fit the bill nicely.

Just gotta wait til they reopen.

:thumbsup:

speedog
09-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Hero_X
Thanks for your input everyone. Seems like CB will fit the bill nicely.

Just gotta wait til they reopen.

:thumbsup:

So?

sputnik
09-09-2016, 07:30 AM

:werd:

2.5 months for me...

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-keto-on-17.png

Swank
09-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Palomino garlic fries will make you burp and sweat garlic for 24-36 hours, they grate like 3-4 fresh cloves on each serving :drool:

Depending on how much I spent on Street Fighter 2 at Adam's billiards at lunch I would pick up CBs on the way back to St Francis, I can definitely relate to what rx7_turbo2 has said. Ah the memories :love:

suntan
09-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Damn, there were whole swaths of SF2 players I never had the chance to destroy.