PDA

View Full Version : I think I need a new dishwasher...

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2016, 01:20 PM
Last night I found some water coming out from underneath my dishwasher (old Kenmore). As best I can tell it is dripping from the solenoid (?) that opens and closes the flow of water to the dishwasher from the copper water line. it looks like a ceramic cylinder. It's kind of old anyway, so maybe not a bad time to get a new one. Hoping to keep it under $1000.

The Wire Cutter seems to like Bosch, but I haven't had time to do much other research. Can anyone tell me if these are any good - they seem to be discounted quite heavily:

http://www.sears.ca/product/bosch-ascenta-24-dishwasher-stainless-steel/622-000698761-SHE3AR75UC

http://www.sears.ca/product/bosch-50-dba-6-cycle-dishwasher-stainless-steel/622-000698761-SHX3AR75UC

http://www.sears.ca/product/bosch-300-series-4-cycle-dishwasher-stainless-steel/622-000698761-SHE33T55UC

This is probably the nicest one but it's almost double the price of some others:

http://www.sears.ca/product/bosch-500-series-24-built-in-dishwasher-stainless-steel/622-000698761-SHE65T55UC

Has to be stainless to match rest of kitchen. TIA

RealJimmyJames
08-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Bosch is good. Somewhat picky about detergents, but once you find one that works, just don't change and life will be good.

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Bosch is good. Somewhat picky about detergents, but once you find one that works, just don't change and life will be good.

I use Cascade pods - is that going to be a problem with some new dishwashers?

jwslam
08-04-2016, 01:53 PM
I know my Bosch has no problems with Finish Powerball tablets (there's a sticker that says to use finish products). Not sure how it would react to Cascade though. Didn't know that dishwashers could be picky...

colinxx235
08-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Bosch is the best i'd say based upon feedback and service, and if you're worried about detergent places like trail and coast sell "higher end/appropriate" detergents specific to certain brands/types.

benyl
08-04-2016, 02:00 PM
My Bosch works with Cascade pods

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2016, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty much sold on a Bosch, I just don't know if there are good and bad Boschs. There appears to be some fairly significant sales on right now at Sears, so I am hoping someone knows the models well. I have PM'd masoncgy as well.

jwslam
08-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm pretty much sold on a Bosch, I just don't know if there are good and bad Boschs. There appears to be some fairly significant sales on right now at Sears, so I am hoping someone knows the models well. I have PM'd masoncgy as well.
Not sure how often he's on here nowadays. I'll PM you his email

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Got it thanks. I see he's in BC, so I don't know if he can help me but I fired him an email.

suntan
08-04-2016, 02:28 PM
This is the one I have:

https://www.lowes.ca/dishwashers/bosch-shp65t55uc-500-series-44-decibel-built-in-dishwasher-common-24-in-actual-23625-in-energy-star_g2664491.html?searchTerm=Bosch-Dishwasher

Bosches are very easy to install yourself. Not worth getting someone to do it for you unless you're totally inept or baller.

EK 2.0
08-04-2016, 02:36 PM
My wife uses whatever dish detergent I give her to use....So I never have issues with my dishwasher...

(disclaimer...EK 2.0 isn't married; and now for obvious reasons...)

s_havinga
08-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
My wife uses whatever dish detergent I give her to use....So I never have issues with my dishwasher...

(disclaimer...EK 2.0 isn't married; and now for obvious reasons...)

Haha, totally expected this to be a "I'm getting divorced need advice" type thread when I saw the title.

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys.

masoncgy is going to hook me up I think - he's in BC but it looks like he can help me out in Calgary still quite easily.

This one was recommended for vaule:

http://www.bosch-home.ca/products/dishwashers/built-in-dishwashers/SHE33T55UC.html

suntan
08-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Wait for a sale. I got mine for under $1000.

91_Integz
08-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Check out the Laundry Store just at the top of the hill of Heritage going down into Deerfoot Meadows. I just purchased a dishwasher and oven from them and the other big box stores couldn't even come close to matching the price for the exact same model.

Ex) Home Depot had the oven reg priced at $1300, and it was on sale for $1100. Laundry Store quoted me $850.

Mitsu3000gt
08-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Wait for a sale. I got mine for under $1000.

There are rebates on right now and it's well under $1000. Seems like a good time to buy.

http://www.bosch-home.ca/Files/Bosch2/Ca/ca_en/2016/ConsumerPromotions/Q3/BSH-6018%20Q3_Web_pdf_Pop_Cling_SellSheet.pdf

Originally posted by 91_Integz
Check out the Laundry Store just at the top of the hill of Heritage going down into Deerfoot Meadows. I just purchased a dishwasher and oven from them and the other big box stores couldn't even come close to matching the price for the exact same model.

Ex) Home Depot had the oven reg priced at $1300, and it was on sale for $1100. Laundry Store quoted me $850.

EDIT: They quoted me the same price as Costal. He also very highly recommend Blomberg, but I know nothing about them.

Mitsu3000gt
08-06-2016, 12:34 PM
Just wanted to say that masoncgy was awesome to deal with, got me a good deal and had my new dishwasher delivered first thing in the morning with one day's notice. I ask a lot of questions so I'm probably one of his more annoying customers, and he was very patient. :thumbsup:

r3ccOs
08-07-2016, 12:30 PM

There are rebates on right now and it's well under $1000. Seems like a good time to buy.

http://www.bosch-home.ca/Files/Bosch2/Ca/ca_en/2016/ConsumerPromotions/Q3/BSH-6018%20Q3_Web_pdf_Pop_Cling_SellSheet.pdf

EDIT: They quoted me the same price as Costal. He also very highly recommend Blomberg, but I know nothing about them.

I just bought the EXACT same washer from Trail for $899, but I think it can be had at Bestbuy for $850... however I think delivery is manditory, of which the guy at trail said:

1. It weighs less than a hundred pounds, what do you drive? (F150) why the heck would you pay for delivery and disposal costs?

2. install... we charge $189, regardless if you pay for it now, or if you figure you can't do it later... So roll up your sleeves and give it a go... these bosch's are super easy to install

Sure enough, weighed nothing, I carried it into the house, took about 15 minutes to remove the old one, and about half an hour to rig up the new one.

Now in comparison with my whirlpool gold and old Kitchenaid... NO comparison in the build... WAY Quieter without the need for the fiberglass blanket, the heating element isn't exposed, and has a 3 stage filter.

It has the aqua sensing, and the heater element is pre-heated using a thermostat rather than just "timed" like the conventional: maytag/whirlpool/armada/kitchenaid/jennair

Tub is completely 18/10 stainless, and thicker than the higher end domestic or japanese offerings.

What I don't like? lack of features and flexibility with the racking system compared to the Kitchenaid, but did I really use it before? not really (I mostly had them zip tied up).

Whatelse I don't like... not sure it cleans any better, but the reliability is what I care about after having 2 dishwashers fail in 8 years.

Bosch and Miele have the two best run-rates as per the guy at trail and laundry store...

Apparently it goes like this... LG & Samsung are incredibly innovative with the wallwash & stormshower, but their failure rates are AWFUL... like 35% awful, and the guy at trail even refused to show them to me.
Maybe the best performance in washing, but the worst in reliability and we're talking... damaging the floor, cabinetry etc.. issues

as you can see here:
http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com/brands-we-love/

Maytag, Whirlpool, Jenn Air, Armana, Kitchenaid etc.. are the same company, share the same drive motors and the same principle designs, and only new models are copying the european 3 stage model.

Now, reliability wise, they have been building dishwashers the longest and the "basic" designs "work". BUT if you are paying $1600 for a kitchenaid, don't be surprised that other than the stainless tub, and fancy racks, its exactly the same build as a $400 Armana.

bosch/miele are the 2 best, and most durable with the Miele claiming a run rate of 10,000 washes...

Miele sells through the retail reseller (VAR) chain, but nobody does the delivery/install/removal other than Miele, which means that you have to add about $350 to the price of one

Miele has the best drying system, with an actual forced dry option

So for $899, self installed... I can't complain

Mitsu3000gt
08-07-2016, 09:05 PM
^^^ Got it for $780 which seemed pretty good considering I needed one immediately.

I drive a Civic and the $55 for next-day delivery was more than worth me not doing it myself, or bothering a friend. Came first thing in the morning. The $20 to take away my old one was IMHO a bargain.

I had to re-do some plumbing and I have never done some of this before so it took me a few hours but I installed it myself. Just got to figure out the counter mounting system, but it's running right now and it's extremely quiet and everything seems to be working.

Sounds like you know a lot about dishwashers and endorse the Bosch so I feel good about my decision.

:thumbsup:

r3ccOs
08-08-2016, 07:50 AM
^^^ Got it for $780 which seemed pretty good considering I needed one immediately.

I drive a Civic and the $55 for next-day delivery was more than worth me not doing it myself, or bothering a friend. Came first thing in the morning. The $20 to take away my old one was IMHO a bargain.

I had to re-do some plumbing and I have never done some of this before so it took me a few hours but I installed it myself. Just got to figure out the counter mounting system, but it's running right now and it's extremely quiet and everything seems to be working.

Sounds like you know a lot about dishwashers and endorse the Bosch so I feel good about my decision.

:thumbsup:

damn thats a good price.

Ran it yesterday, and have to say its very quiet, but does make alot of noise when flushing the water out.

I don't know that much about appliances, I'm just resourceful enough to make sure I make the right decisions :)

littledan
08-08-2016, 09:46 AM
I recently replaced my dishwasher with the low end bosch unit as my fill valve had begun to leak, the detergent dispenser was buggered etc....

The bosch unit washes well and is super quiet. The rack system sucks ass though. I could fit significantly more dishes in the previous unit because the new racks are too specific. Also, make sure you pull the lower rack out via the handle in the front and slowly as it does not ride in tracks but just has wheels that rest on the door. Falls off all the time.

blownz
08-08-2016, 11:06 AM
I would recommend getting one with the hidden control panel at the top. Looks so much cleaner.

The ones with the buttons and lights on the front look dated IMO (I had a Maytag that looked similar back in 2000). The other issue with the buttons on the front is that kids will always push them (may not be an issue for you) and that is irritating. They won't push what they can't see.

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2016, 11:32 AM
So I just learned that "new" dishwashers don't have dryer heating elements in them! They are wet all the time and don't dry nearly as well. That sucks!

Do you guys leave your dishwashers open all the time to let the water dry and get rid of the musty smell? I feel like that isn't great for the door springs though.

suntan
08-16-2016, 12:21 PM
Bosches have never had drying elements.

Use JetDry.

Make sure to install outtake hose properly.

r3ccOs
08-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Bosches have never had drying elements.

Use JetDry.

Make sure to install outtake hose properly.

this is correct

sputnik
08-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames

I use the Finish pods from Costco in my Bosch.

~150 pods for about $16 when on sale.

Swank
08-16-2016, 01:43 PM
So I just learned that "new" dishwashers don't have dryer heating elements in them! They are wet all the time and don't dry nearly as well. That sucks!

Do you guys leave your dishwashers open all the time to let the water dry and get rid of the musty smell? I feel like that isn't great for the door springs though.
I've always used air dry, the heat from the hot water heats the dishes up enough that they dry completely. I make an effort to go in after the wash is done and soak up the water from any 'deep' dish bottoms (i.e. bottom of mugs) and empty any tupperware that has flipped. I close it back up and it never smells at all, always nice and dry in a few hours.

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2016, 01:50 PM
The ceramic dishes, most mugs, and glasses dry fine, but the cutlery and anything plastic needs to be dried every time because I don't think they heat up enough. Not the end of the world, I'm just not used to it. I enjoyed not having to dry anything ever. I am using JetDry, a free sample came with the dishwasher.

The tub/door of the dishwasher stay wet though if it's closed all the time, the only way I can dry it is to physically dry it with a towel or leave it open for an hour or so. I also live on my own so I only run it 1-2 times per week.

Swank
08-16-2016, 03:25 PM
When I lived alone I'd run it twice a month (what bachelor doesn't eat out of the pot he cooked in, haha). Usually once the inside reached room temp I'd leave the door open a couple of inches, it never seemed to wear down the springs. It was still good as new when I moved out, ran it for over 15 years. It wasn't a built in unit, had to hook it up to the faucet each time, I don't think that matters though. I'd most often run it after dinner then empty it the next day after work, all dishes, cutlery, and inside of the dishwasher would be completely dry by then. You'll get used to it.

macman64
08-16-2016, 11:35 PM

Kitchenaid has one with a fan in it to fix this it also has a heating element. KDTM404ESS. That being said I have the KDTE204ESS and it also doesn't seem to have issues drying and I don't use the heat dry feature.

suntan
08-17-2016, 09:24 AM
You'd have to put a gun to my head to make me buy a Kitchenaid appliance.

macman64
08-17-2016, 09:52 AM
You'd have to put a gun to my head to make me buy a Kitchenaid appliance.

I assume that applies to the whole product family? In which case that doesn't leave you many options. Whirlpool, Jenn Air, KitchenAid are all the same company. They also make parts for a another list of companies including Ikea, Miele and others.

At the end of the day each brand has issues. None of them produce a perfect lineup. We each have had bad experiences with one brand of another.

r3ccOs
08-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by macman64

I assume that applies to the whole product family? In which case that doesn't leave you many options. Whirlpool, Jenn Air, KitchenAid are all the same company. They also make parts for a another list of companies including Ikea, Miele and others.

At the end of the day each brand has issues. None of them produce a perfect lineup. We each have had bad experiences with one brand of another.

Miele washer/dryers and dishwashers are boss though... not feature creative like LG/Samsung, but very quiet and reliable.

The motor on my Bosch is substantially bigger than the Whirlpool Gold and Kitchen aid I had previously.

I think for fairly static items such as ranges and fridges, anything that fits your lifestyle works, regardless of brand. However when it comes down to washer/dryer... its worth the investment in the Germand brands.

I would never buy another set of LG pairs for laundry... the steam feature is relatively gimmicy, and the ball bearings used for the vibration dampening in my units are now noisy and causing problems.

freshprince1
08-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Head in to Castle Appliances and talk to Doug. They are a private company, and Doug is great at giving you honest advice and good suggestions. One time we wanted a cheap dishwasher just to get us through a couple years until we move... and he talked me out of spending $1000 on a good one and just spending enough to get what we really needed...saving my like $500.

They also have a ton of brands and can deliver and set up. A truly great locally owned company that doesn't jerk you around.

suntan
08-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by macman64

At the end of the day each brand has issues. None of them produce a perfect lineup. We each have had bad experiences with one brand of another. Yup. I am aware of their brands. I avoid them all.

blindsight
08-17-2016, 12:03 PM

suntan
08-17-2016, 05:26 PM
From CR:

Samsung is the most repair-prone brand of dishwasher. Bosch is among the more reliable brands of dishwashers. GE and Frigidaire are more repair-prone than Bosch, Whirlpool and Miele. Due to estimated failure rates, Samsung cannot be recommended by Consumer Reports at this time. That’s what we found when we asked 42,108 readers who purchased a new dishwasher between 2012 and 2016 about their experiences. Our statistical model estimates failure rates for two-year-old dishwashers not covered by a service contract. Differences of fewer than 5 percentage points aren’t meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and changes in design or manufacturer might affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good reliability estimate can improve your odds of getting a dependable model.

For Bosches, if you don't install the outlet hose properly, you will overwork the motor and a chance of failure will increase.