PDA

View Full Version : Wasp Removal

firebane
08-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone have any recommendations on who I should get regarding wasp removal?

I've already done 2 cans of the Wilson stuff... 1 being the normal spray and the 2nd being the foam. I then proceeded to close off the hole from where they were entering into the house with expansion foam.

Now over the last few days our basement looks like a war zone of dead bodies from dying but I would like to perhaps have this stop.

I'm looking for someone who will be crazy enough to lift up our ceiling tiles and investigate and remove if necessary.

dirtsniffer
08-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Re: wasp removal

From threads here I think all you need is some affordable housing built nearby

D'z Nutz
08-05-2016, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Re: wasp removal

From threads here I think all you need is some affordable housing built nearby

Nicely done.

http://i.imgur.com/dhMeAzK.gif

firebane
08-07-2016, 03:23 PM
So things escalated quickly and had to call someone in. Props to cancer man for putting his name in the bucket to help me out. Cost me $85 later and all nests have been taken care of.

http://i.imgur.com/O3fqpfR.jpg

Epididymitis
08-07-2016, 05:42 PM
Looks like the nests are pretty hard to get at. But lemme tell ya, if you ever have one on the side of your house, get yourself a can of brake kleen and spray it into the nest. Amazing stuff.

Maxx Mazda
08-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Epididymitis
Looks like the nests are pretty hard to get at. But lemme tell ya, if you ever have one on the side of your house, get yourself a can of brake kleen and spray it into the nest. Amazing stuff.

For added fun, use a BBQ lighter and enjoy the show!

cancer man
08-08-2016, 09:47 PM
I just use a shop vac and suck the crap out of them and then spray wasp killer
down the hose.works like a hot damn.

HomespunLobster
08-10-2016, 04:44 PM
If the nest is acceptable I use a small propane torch. Hold it outside the entrance to the nest and their wings singe off any they fall to the ground. Just don't move or run out of propane before they're all done

Kloubek
08-10-2016, 07:01 PM
That all works. So does soapy water. I did some reading recently and found they breathe through their shells, which are hydrophobic. However, with the soap, it sticks and drowns them. Shoot a bunch in the nest and they don't last long.

Yesterday I found about 100 wasps in a tree I planted a couple of years ago. Guess it turns out there is a major aphid infestation, and they are attracted to that. Like a boss, I went out there with a cylinder-style pump spray gun with soapy water and went nuts only a few feet away. Some were literally dropping dead from the sky. 10 minutes later, the tree was wasp free.

Not really the right course of action for nests, but these wasps were coming from a nest on a nearby property - not mine.

...the more you know.

ercchry
08-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Had one 20ft up a tree off the deck at the lake, stood on a ladder with some snips on a stick, took a couple cuts to finally get all the little branches that it was stuck on but finally got it down, took so long though that the nest was empty by the time it was on the ground.... Went smoothly except for the first cut when I got a little too excited and tried for the ground in one step... From the 5th rung, was a little painful :rofl:

The best removal was the one under the deck at home. Damn dog ate it; she had a pretty swollen nose, but no real complaints. she is a tough girl :nut:

Alterac
08-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Make sure you find the exterior holes and seal them up.

When I was doing a renovation on my nursery (remove all drywall and re-insulate) I found a basketball sized wasps nest in the wall.

The wall was around the chimney bricks, so obviously there is a sealing problem

I used spray foam to seal everything from the inside, and then I removed and redid all the silicon from the outside of the house between the siding and the brick.

Epididymitis
08-11-2016, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

For added fun, use a BBQ lighter and enjoy the show!

Lmao, careful doing that, sometimes they explode!
Im just lookin out for your eyebrows fella.

firebane
08-11-2016, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Make sure you find the exterior holes and seal them up.

When I was doing a renovation on my nursery (remove all drywall and re-insulate) I found a basketball sized wasps nest in the wall.

The wall was around the chimney bricks, so obviously there is a sealing problem

I used spray foam to seal everything from the inside, and then I removed and redid all the silicon from the outside of the house between the siding and the brick.

Yeah there is a few places I need to silicone and double check around the windows. Welcome to a 50s house with old wood and windows.

ExtraSlow
08-17-2017, 10:15 AM
bump from the dead, anyone have suggestions for killing wasp colony when you can't locate the nest? I suspect it's in a neighbors yard. Is there anything that they'll carry back as food that'll kill the whole nest?

This year is extra bad for wasps due to the heat, they are reproducing at a faster rate than normal. My backyard is unusable at this point.

colinxx235
08-17-2017, 10:24 AM
bump from the dead, anyone have suggestions for killing wasp colony when you can't locate the nest? I suspect it's in a neighbors yard. Is there anything that they'll carry back as food that'll kill the whole nest?

This year is extra bad for wasps due to the heat, they are reproducing at a faster rate than normal. My backyard is unusable at this point.

If you see them constantly coming from a certain direction/neighbors yard try putting up a whole bunch of those wasp/yellow jacket bags along your fence line to try to deter some of them?

that or spy where they are coming from and go foam spray on their asses over the fence :rofl:

ExtraSlow
08-18-2017, 02:25 PM
An inch of dead wasps in 24 hours. These traps are impressive. Have two others with almost as good of a harvest in same time period. Wonder how many wasps are in one nest?

roopi
08-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Where did you get those traps from?

klumsy_tumbler
08-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Where did you get those traps from?

Canadian Tire (http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rescue-disposable-yellow-jacket-trap-0598824p.html#srp)

ExtraSlow
08-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Wasp situation is very calm, only a few flying around. Maybe the hive(s) is/are depleted?

Why would some float and some sink?

There are still a few going into the traps, so effectiveness is lasting. None elsewhere in the yard that I can see.

88CRX
08-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Had a hornet nest (which we sprayed) but as soon as they were gone the wasps showed up. Running a couple of those traps over night and already have 20+ wasps caught.

ExtraSlow
08-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Our back yard is not totally free of wasps, one or two show up quickly if you try to eat chicken soup. However you can read a book uninterrupted with no food. Have tested both scenarios.

legendboy
08-22-2017, 07:35 AM
I had to remove a wasps nest last weekend, no pics

Used Wilson one shot foam, worked good

firebane
08-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Our back yard is not totally free of wasps, one or two show up quickly if you try to eat chicken soup. However you can read a book uninterrupted with no food. Have tested both scenarios.

Have to say thanks. We have been dealing with a hidden wasp nest and not sure where it is at. I just put up one those bags and I can't let my dog outside because its a damn war zone. I picked up two bags but only put one up.

Wish I had put both up.

ExtraSlow
08-26-2017, 12:04 PM
Was going to throw all three traps out this morning and replace with new ones. Lined them up on the fence to take a pic and I don't know if it's the heat from the sun or the fact that they are side by side but got a pretty decent swarm of them right away.
Bought six new traps and will use a few this season and save a couple for next year.

Seth1968
08-26-2017, 06:19 PM
I go to the backyard today and find a swarm of baby wasps. There were also hundreds of birds flocking above (looked like doves). It all lasted for about an hour.

Now it's well established that I'm going to hell, but a more direct approach would have been more efficient.

legendboy
08-27-2017, 10:59 AM
My daughter and my wife both got stung this week :D

bleu
08-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Was going to throw all three traps out this morning and replace with new ones. Lined them up on the fence to take a pic and I don't know if it's the heat from the sun or the fact that they are side by side but got a pretty decent swarm of them right away.
Bought six new traps and will use a few this season and save a couple for next year.

Wow! Those look like super efficient traps. We had a problem with them, but it seems they are far less than what they were...maybe one of our neighbours is trapping them. I will stop at the store and pick up a couple of these ones anyways.

ExtraSlow
08-27-2017, 08:19 PM
in stock at the deerfoot city canadian tire. about $7.50 each. I think mine got extra full because we may have multiple nests nearby. I have one of those skinny inner city lots and both sides have lots of trees and hiding places.

s_havinga
08-28-2017, 07:49 AM
Those bags are magic! After seeing them here we picked up 3. Probably of 5" of wasps in the 3 bags last week- maybe more. Will be grabbing more next time we are out.

88CRX
08-28-2017, 10:41 AM
Of note we sprayed the hornet nest that was in one our columnar apsen trees (so some/lots got on the leaves around the nest) and it looks like the spray has killed the tree. Fully dead branches and leaves falling off the tree all over the place. Fucking stupid wasps/hornets.

ExtraSlow
08-29-2017, 08:31 AM
Around the ten day mark those traps started trapping flies not wasps. I tossed em all and put out a new one.

interlude
09-05-2017, 01:23 PM
I put up 3 bags over the long weekend, all 3 are almost completely full of wasps!

Does anybody know how long it lasts? I still see a couple flying around the bag when I check.

firebane
09-05-2017, 01:51 PM
I put up 3 bags over the long weekend, all 3 are almost completely full of wasps!

Does anybody know how long it lasts? I still see a couple flying around the bag when I check.

When they are at the full line time to replace. But check the bag cause some float and some sink and they should all sink.