PDA

View Full Version : Let's get drunk - Cheap Strong Beer review - Unemployment styles yo!

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 02:07 PM
So, apparently unemployment levels in Alberta have reached levels not seen since the 1980's, and a decent number of our fellow beyond comrades are now unemployed, and morale is in the toilet, this seems fitting. I figure if you can't make the world a better place, and you aren't making six figures, you may as well get drunk. Let's see if we can figure out what beer is the best to purchase if you are broke and just want to get your buzz on.

The Premise: Beer that cost under $10 for a six-pack, and has over 5.0% alcohol. Available in the North-central area of town. The list is not exhaustive, but a good cross-section of your common options.

The Journey: We started our search at North Hill Mall, conveniently located on several major bus routes, and beside the LRT, or a short walk from a few parks that you could sleep in.

Liquor Depot North Hill: A fine liquor store. I was immediatly drawn to a gentelman who was arguing with the staff about his ability to wear a backpack in the store. After he took it off, he headed straight for the "TNT Strong Malt". That was a man who knew what he wanted, and he wasted no time looking at options. I followed his lead and got some. I also picked up some "River Valley Light Lager" after a short chat with the staff. This is apparently made big Big Rock, and is same as AGD and Co-op lager. I'm using this light beer as my control group for this experiment.

Dave's Liquor: A short walk to the sears end of the mall and across 16th avenue you'll find this gem, although if that clerk is called Dave, I'll eat my hat, or his. I checked what the crowd of four "urban adenturers" who were sitting on the doorstep were drinking, and they had chosen Black Ice. By their condition, it was indeed a quality choice. Sadly inside, it wasn't sold in six-packs, and I don't need a 15-pack, even if it was only $18 for one. I ended up with Lucky Extra, a favourite of our west-coast friends, Bow Valley Strong, and some lucky "Force8" that frankly drew my attention in unnatural ways.

Highlander Liquor: (Just west of the Mall on 19th street) by that former burger king that is now a good Thai restaurant. This is a nice liquor store. If you want advice about wine, this is your spot. Not a single six-pack available for under $10. I fucked off out of here pretty quickly.

Olympia Liquor (Centre Street and 19th Ave N) Nice little store, with decent selection of better hard boozes. Have found some great rums here in the past, but today my focus was elsewhere. Back in the cooler, I found some of my previous purchases, but I also found some Black Ice in a six pack at last. True, it was $10.57 once you factor in tax and deposit, but they had a 24 pack for $$26.99 plus GST and deposit, so that's a solid contender, and clearly a choice of veterans.
https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8571/28170810934_7426577fbd_n.jpg

The lineup:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8073/28170812584_ae7a6a9076.jpg
Banana is for scale. I honestly get a headache just looking at that picture.

Ratings criteria will be alcohol percentage, smoothness, taste and aftertaste. As mentioned, I will also rate the one light beer as a kind of control. So we have six varieties of beer, and four criteria, the first one rated out of 8, the other three rated out of 5, so max score is 23 points.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 02:10 PM
My Wife informed me this morning that today is "International Beer Day". I took this as a green light to get drunk this afternoon. I'm sure that's what she meant.

First test, Brewery notes, visuals and alcohol content
River Valley Light: Brewed by Big Rock for Liquor Depot, 4.0% Light Yellow colour, bubbly, but no head retained.
Bow Valley Strong: Brewed in Calgary by Pine Creek Brewing, 7.0% Solid golden colour, bubbles dissapate quickly
TNT strong Malt: Brewed in Prince George by Pacific Western Brewing, 6.0%, darker, slightly brownish colour, not as bubbly
Carling Black Ice: Brewed by Molson, no idea where, 6.1%, Light yellow colour
Lucky Extra: Brewed by Labatt, probably in Edmonton, 6.0%, Explosive carbonation, looks like it's trying to form a head even after several minutes
Lucky Force 8: Brewed by Labatt, probably in Edmonton, 8.0%, slightly less carbonation, but still quite bubbly, some bubbles reamin on surface after a minute. Clearly a winner in Alcohol content

https://c8.staticflickr.com/9/8693/28174277743_4b2e0ec5fa.jpg

vengie
08-05-2016, 02:12 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I can't wait.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Second Test, Taste, Smoothness, Aftertaste and notes - Round #1
I don't expect much from this type of beer. it ain't a fine merlot yo!

River Valley Light: Taste - Very Little, Smoothness - Yes, Aftertaste - Minimal (A good choice for control, nothing overpowering here)
Bow Valley Strong: Taste - yes! , Smoothness - good , Aftertaste - Hops? (not that this is a "hoppy" beer, but the only one where I can even descern any hops. BTW, I hate hops)
TNT strong Malt: Taste - mildly sweet, Smoothness - good , Aftertaste - minimal (I can see why that guy wanted this one. You could drink this one fast and several in a row without a break)
Carling Black Ice: Taste - unknown/weird, Smoothness - NONE, Aftertaste - Weird (what the hell did they make this out of? )
Lucky Extra: Taste - little, Smoothness - Medium, Aftertaste - carbonation reamains on palate (Did I just use the world "palate" and Lucky extra in same sentence? You bet your ass I did!)
Lucky Force 8: Taste - alchohol, Smoothness - decent, Aftertaste - alchohol (if you took cheap beeer, mixed it with quality vodka, and let it sit for 20 minutes, I think your result would taste like this)

killramos
08-05-2016, 02:13 PM
If you are looking to get drunk unemployment style step right past the beer and just hit the liquor man... Costco style.

That being said a buddy of mine has recently taken a leaf out of your book and is drinking Old Milwaukee :barf:

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2009_Trailer_Park_Boys__Countdown_to_Liquor_Day/009CLD_John_Dunsworth_009.jpg

roopi
08-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Eat the banana and call it a day.

Disoblige
08-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Once, this cheapass I know gave me a can of Black Ice to try and it was the worst beer I ever had in my life. Never again, Black Ice. Ugh.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Eat the banana and call it a day. You shut your whore mouth!!

I'm going to drink some more of this over the next day or two, and finalize my rankings later this weekend. I feel we have adequately set up this competition to call it officially open. It's like the Olympics in Rio, in most regards, only this one will have a true champion emerge, and nobody is going to do any blood testing.

If anyone wants to drop by tomorrow afternoon and help me judge, shoot me a PM or text.

May the "best" beer win, and may the odd be ever in your favour!

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 02:47 PM
I should mention that my previous go-to cheap strong beer was clear creek ice from our friendly local Minhas family. I once had a homeless guy who had been banned from the liquor store hand me a pile of change to bootleg this brand for him. I became a lifelong fan that day. I don't know what happened, but it used to be $6 for a 6-pack, and now the only store that sold it was wanting $12 for a 6-pack. WTF? I wanted to have it in this competition, but even I have principles.

gretz
08-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Extra, I cannot believe you kept the old mill out of her... brava must also make the list. My bother in law (yes, it's spelled correctly) is a connoisseur on these wonderful, cost effective libations and these are his go to...

Also, let me know if you need a second opinion lol

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Extra, I cannot believe you kept the old mill out of her... brava must also make the list. My bother in law (yes, it's spelled correctly) is a connoisseur on these wonderful, cost effective libations and these are his go to...

Also, let me know if you need a second opinion lol Both of those are 5.0% I believe. I know they are cheap, but they aren't strong.

gretz
08-05-2016, 03:03 PM
Ah, STRONG BEER review... saw the 4% and thought I had a good contribution lol... The days when Molson Dry was cost effective lol

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 03:06 PM
To be honest, the 4.0% one doesn't belong in this, but it was already bought when I had the criteria figured out. So I'm using it as an inoffensive "control" group.

xnvy
08-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Hahahaha over my undergrad I tried all of these. TNT and River Valley were always abound at residence parties. Then AGD came along too. River Valley is one I really hate though, I swear you can taste water in it. Wayyy too smooth. You have to do the generic brands too! Like co-op's and such.

TNT you can drink the entire night if you have something good to get you buzzed.

If you want to get drunk for cheap though, not much betas Kirkland liquor or that $15 Star rum.

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Sounds like we have some cheap beer experts on this forum. I should do a "BYO" cheap beer day. I could provide snacks and maybe some chili or ribs, and everyone brings 6 or 12 of their favourite cheap beer. Winner by popular vote.

Sounds like a great day. PM me if you are seriously interested, I will find a date.

J.M.
08-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Black Ice is terrible :rofl:

Tried it once and don't do it

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Once, this cheapass I know gave me a can of Black Ice to try and it was the worst beer I ever had in my life. Never again, Black Ice. Ugh.

Originally posted by J.M.
Black Ice is terrible :rofl:

Tried it once and don't do it So far, I'm in agreement with these sentiments. Black Ice hasn't won my heart.

killramos
08-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Sounds like we have some cheap beer experts on this forum. I should do a "BYO" cheap beer day. I could provide snacks and maybe some chili or ribs, and everyone brings 6 or 12 of their favourite cheap beer. Winner by popular vote.

Sounds like a great day. PM me if you are seriously interested, I will find a date.

Let's do this. I dibs lucky :rofl: :barf:

npham
08-05-2016, 03:52 PM
This is amazing. Keep it up.

Abeo
08-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Did you see any Beer Beer Strong? Should fit the criteria you laid out.

HiTempguy1
08-05-2016, 04:15 PM
No Black Label Strong? Wtf is this, some kind of two bit beer drinking operation??

;)

msommers
08-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Co-op Gold was my cheap camping beer. Not that awful :rofl:

ExtraSlow
08-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
Did you see any Beer Beer Strong? Should fit the criteria you laid out. Didn't see that in any of the four stores I visited.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
No Black Label Strong? Wtf is this, some kind of two bit beer drinking operation??
;) I did see that one, but I already had three six packs in my hands at this point, and two others in the car. is this one any good, or just popular?

Originally posted by msommers
Co-op Gold was my cheap camping beer. Not that awful :rofl: co-op is made by big rock, same as AGD and the River Valley. Have had the co-op strong, and wasn't impressed, although I didn't get any more for this comparison. Didn't shop at co-op obviously.

HiTempguy1
08-05-2016, 04:41 PM
is this one any good, or just popular?

No, it's complete shit. But you're doing reviews here damnit, you gotta take the good with the bad! :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
08-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Oh man, I forgot about Force 8. I need some now hahaha :clap:

01RedDX
08-05-2016, 05:01 PM

JRSC00LUDE
08-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Used to loooooove the Big Bear hahaha

austic
08-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Or axe head extra strong.... nothing says downturn like drinking 40's

xnvy
08-05-2016, 05:42 PM

Sounds like a great day. PM me if you are seriously interested, I will find a date. Half of me wants to. The other half has this nagging suspicion everyone there would be almost twice my age :rofl:

Has anyone had Good Times? That beer is the worst I've ever had. Also the cheapest beer I've seen, costing a bit under what the River Valley does. Good Times is the only beer I've had that tastes and feels flat coming right out of the can. :barf:

Darkane
08-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Was just at Coop liquor store buying some baller original 16. Then I saw Coop gold strong for $6.49 for a six pack.

Great price for a big rock beer.

msommers
08-05-2016, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Is Big Bear still around? Man those were the days. A $3.50 40oz would get you proper fucked, if you drank it fast enough.

Edward 40-Hands :D :rofl:

dirtsniffer
08-05-2016, 11:20 PM
I used to get blasted on wildcat strong when I was a kid. 6 pack of tall boys for 10 bucks.

Dunno what the cost is like now. Probably still get you drunk

Cooked Rice
08-06-2016, 12:07 AM
I went for a tour at Minhas today. I had low expectations because the days of Mountain Crest ruined my Minhas experience. I was very surprised though, they have decent stuff now. And the variety is insane.

I used a $20 groupon for 2 people. Included tasting and tour. They are GENEROUS with the tastings. Then at the end of the tour they gave us each 2 different bottles of their brew, 1 flavored soda, Minhas glass, a pizza to share, and a 1.9L empty growler for each of us. They have something like 16 beers on tap you can fill the growlers with for $9.

So to recap, $20 groupon =
Tour and tasting for 2
4 Bottled Beers
2 Bottled Non alcoholic sodas
2 Glasses
1 Pizza
2 Empty growlers (worth $6 each)

cancer man
08-06-2016, 04:51 AM
Snatch Box Beer 7.50 a litre 12.8% so it's expensive but alcohol content puts it in for the run. Not sold to the public as of yet but if you want some let me know.

AndyL
08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Wtf?

O'Keefe's extra old stock. 5.65% and tolerable ;)

but AGD ftw!

Epididymitis
08-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Its a little pricey, but the unibroue line up is good. La fin du monde and trois pistoles is at about 9%. The more you drink, the more attractive your cousins get.

Epididymitis
08-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Oh CHEAP. Lucky black all the way.

ExtraSlow
08-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
I went for a tour at Minhas today... Minhas is good people.

Back on the tastings, really impressed with Lucky Extra, it's got virtually no downside.

Carling Black Ice however, I am still not yet a fan. I however have discovered that if I don't drink a better beer between sips, the tastebuds tire and it's less offensive over time. Clearly if you are drinking to get drunk, you'd be pounding these back with some rapidity. I can see that they'd work well enough for that purpose.

I look forward to additional tastings through the evening.

ExtraSlow
08-06-2016, 04:48 PM
double post, I guess the strong beer is working!

BavarianBeast
08-07-2016, 12:38 AM
AGD ftw for cheap beer. The big mouth can makes easily drinking too.

NoPulp
08-07-2016, 05:39 PM
What is Carling black ice? Did they just change the name?
I actually remember liking black ice (Molson) as a cheap strong beer while I was in school in BC :dunno: All I bought was black ice and rickards red, mostly rickards though.

Lucky is gross...
How much is dirty pussy (Wild Cat) in Alberta? I had a friend that drank a lot of that, it was meh.

Sugarphreak
08-07-2016, 09:26 PM

C_Dave45
08-07-2016, 09:31 PM
What, no one drinks Olde English 800??

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Olde-english.jpg

:rofl: :barf:

8% and only about $7 for a 40 oz!

xnvy
08-07-2016, 10:28 PM
^*shudders* :rofl:

cdnsir
08-07-2016, 11:13 PM
This brings back so much memories of school, albeit all broken and disjointed cuz of these...

Are 40s banned these days? I haven't seen them in years.

ExtraSlow
08-08-2016, 06:44 AM
Yeah, I wonder if 40's are even sold any more. Haven't seen them in a long time.

I hope to write up a summary of my findings today or tomorrow. Based on the strong response, I may be doing a "run-what-ya-brung" style open tasting of all cheap beers very soon. Have already had a couple of members PM me to show interest. So happy all you low-class bastards are showing your true colours!

mr2mike
08-08-2016, 08:47 AM
Colt 45... works every time.

https://kihm7.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/ml-colt45-logo1.jpg

ExtraSlow
08-10-2016, 07:43 PM
The 2016 Beyond Invitational Cheap Beer Showdown is happening this Saturday evening. Details will be sent by PM to folks who have shows a passion for this subject in this thread. If you don't see your invite, PM me for details.

HomespunLobster
08-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Just got a 15 pack of Hell or High Water Premium Lager, brewed in Calgary, some story about the floods. $15, only 5% but not a bad beer.

msommers
08-10-2016, 08:11 PM
If it's all about being unemployed, you guys should stay at 10am with a bowl of fruit loops or cinnamon toast crunch.

Epididymitis
08-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Back when I was under-age this was my drink of choice... 2L of Growers cider! It was well under 10$, and it would get you properly fucked up.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/files/imagecache/product_larger/388868.jpg

However, to this day, I can't even smell that stuff without feeling sick :rofl:

HAHAHAHA you are a classy broad.

ExtraSlow
08-13-2016, 04:34 PM
Went looking specifically for 40's of malt liquor (pronounced lik-RAH!) Couldn't find any.
Did find some beer-beer strong, and some tundra ice. Also confirmed my pricing analysis of Clear Creek Ice. It's now a mid-level beer. I have no idea what Minhas is thinking with that. But the Tundra does the trick, and tastes nearly the same. Probably the same beer in the cans. Who knows? :dunno:

Further updates coming.

Ben
08-13-2016, 07:54 PM
This is a truly good thread.

I enjoy the finer things in life, however nothing is below me to sit around with friends or lonely hobos and enjoy the cool crisp refreshing taste of a bargain priced swill.

Wish I could have partaken in your tasting experience.

xnvy
08-13-2016, 08:05 PM
How did the tasting go?

Sad I missed it. Just got back to Calgary.

Also, yesterday we bought one of those 2L ciders that Sugarphreak posted... :barf:

ExtraSlow
08-13-2016, 10:40 PM
Well, had Paul drop by for a tasting and some bullshit, but in all honesty, we bullsht more than we documented. so, well, the result aren't as comprehensive as you may hope.

TLDR, Paul is a chill guy, hops are the devil, lets drink.
results soon, as I can type them . . . . . .

ExtraSlow
08-13-2016, 10:52 PM
As last minute entries we have Beer Beer Strong, Tundra Ice, Phillips Amnesiac Double IPA and Driftwood Fat tug IP. Let the best (not worst) beer win!

ExtraSlow
08-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Final tally, Taste, Smoothness, Aftertaste and notes

River Valley Light: Taste - Very Little, Smoothness - Yes, Aftertaste - Minimal (A good choice for day-drinking or giving to your in-laws, this one doesn't show your alcoholic problem badly.)
Bow Valley Strong: Taste - yes! , Smoothness - good , Aftertaste - Skunky, I think this one was merely very old. I assume a fresher version of this beer would score better. )
TNT strong Malt: Taste - mildly sweet, Smoothness - good , Aftertaste - minimal (I can see why that guy wanted this one. You could drink this one fast and several in a row without a break)
Carling Black Ice: Taste - unknown/weird, Smoothness - NONE, Aftertaste - Weird (what the hell did they make this out of? ALSO, this may have been marketed as Molson)
Lucky Extra: Taste - little, Smoothness - Medium, Aftertaste - carbonation remains on palate (Did I just use the world "palate" and Lucky extra in same sentence? You bet your ass I did!)
Lucky Force 8: Taste - alcohol, Smoothness - decent, Aftertaste - alcohol (if you took cheap beer, mixed it with quality vodka, and let it sit for 20 minutes, I think your result would taste like this)
Beer Beer Strong - Just awful, from start to finish. terrible.
Tundra Ice Strong - this is the succcessor to Clear Creek IMO. An uncomplicated stroong beeer at an awesome price. No idea why clear creek is so expensive, it tastes liek the same beverage. .
Fat Tug IPA - ridiculous hops,, why buy this, so hoppy, makes me cry.
Amnesiac Double IPA - actually smells sweet, drinkable, still extremely hoppy, but not problematic, drinkable.

Final verdict: I got plenty buzzed off these options. So in a sense, we ca say they were all winners. In a more accurate sense, I think that Tundra Ice, Lucky Strong and TNT Strong are all solid choices. For my budget dollar I think I would choose Tundra Ice over all contenders because of it's easy drinking demeanor and low price. Do you disagree? Cheap beer tasting round 2.0 is ready to go at your location in the next few weeks . . . .

ExtraSlow
08-13-2016, 11:03 PM
Also, if you nitpick my spelling or grammar, I will hunt you down and skin you alive.
At least I will try once I sober up.

ExtraSlow
08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
also, last post before I head to bed, doritotos plus extra strong beer = fart magic instrontinasire.

veltialiote yo!

Epididymitis
08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Also, if you nitpick my spelling or grammar, I will hunt you down and skin you alive.
At least I will try once I sober up.

Are you kidding me, that was the finest review ive ever had the pleasure of reading.

xnvy
08-14-2016, 02:23 AM
2.0 must compare the beer to the 2L cider and also I think I know where to find a 40 oz. Will report back tomorrow.

2.0 also needs more than 3 days of notice :P

Sugarphreak
08-14-2016, 09:21 AM

ExtraSlow
08-14-2016, 09:28 AM
I can also confirm that this unholy combination provides a pretty awesome hangover. Big thanks to cancer man for the excellent conversation.

cancer man
08-14-2016, 09:56 AM
I can still taste that Tugboat beer my number 1 beer for the worst ever..
It felt like i went grazing.

CompletelyNumb
08-14-2016, 01:01 PM
For some reason, I'm reading all of ExtraSlow's posts in this thread in a Johnny Depp/Hunter S Thompson voice.

Quite entertaining.

HiTempguy1
08-14-2016, 01:46 PM
I didnt notice the PM in my inbox. I was busy getting drunk on my birthday :*(

A+ thread, will be using for further research

[Yu]
08-14-2016, 02:23 PM
You motivated me to go find 40oz beers to do my own review.

Let me know if you find some, gonna try to make a video review

EDIT: on liquer connect, I only found colt 45 in 946 ml bottles at ace liquor and country hills area liquor store. Can't seem to find big bear and old english in the directory

ExtraSlow
08-14-2016, 05:07 PM
I'd really like to do this event again with more people. Could be a real good time.

Dumbass17
08-14-2016, 05:11 PM
I am in cheap mode as well due to spending too much lately, so had some old mil lite today with clam, not going to lie. I loved it. It's only 4% beer but it's really good

xnvy
08-14-2016, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
hahaha, I am sorry, that wasn't a reccomendation! They are the devil! Are they still 10$ or has the price come up? haha!

$10.99 so essentially the same.

Originally posted by [Yu]
You motivated me to go find 40oz beers to do my own review.

Let me know if you find some, gonna try to make a video review

EDIT: on liquer connect, I only found colt 45 in 946 ml bottles at ace liquor and country hills area liquor store. Can't seem to find big bear and old english in the directory

I found some 40 oz. at Solo Liquor apparently. Haven't actually gone to the store to check it out.

JRSC00LUDE
08-15-2016, 08:25 AM
Nice work!

ExtraSlow
08-22-2016, 07:21 AM
Went camping with the leftovers. Here's a beauty shot of the lineup and my best koozie.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8092/29154973835_a7ef8d4f49_z.jpg

Apparently drinking a bakers dozen of these fine beverages one afternoon wasn't good enough, because then I decided to empty out the remains of a random bottle of brandy that was laying around my trailer. Why was this in my trailer?
https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8545/28533201694_fe483e704f_n.jpg

I can confirm that the hangover the next day was a full five stars. Nearly puked into my coffee and baileys.

I still maintain that Tundra Ice is the best of the bunch, but that's like choosing which of these two sisters you are going to marry.
http://www.popularvirals.com/images/ugly-women/ugly-girls-0980.jpg

Advice, Kids, don't be like ExtraSlow.

More Advice, don't ever, for any reason, even in irony, purchase Beer Beer Strong. Worst of the bunch by a wide margin.

I think I'll spend my money on better drinks for a bit. This has been hell on my body, but aside from the little help cancer man gave me, I drank every single fucking one. I hope beyond recognizes the public service I've been doing.

bjstare
08-22-2016, 08:56 AM
Beer Beer Strong? :rofl:

I can only assume this is brewed (and named) in China somewhere.

ExtraSlow
08-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Brewed by Drummond Brewing out of Red Deer. It's been a central Alberta staple for decades.

Apparently they make other beers, some of which are aiming for the "craft" crowd. Haven't tried them, suspect they don't distribute too far from home.
http://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/drummond--something-brewing/10231/

xnvy
08-22-2016, 03:08 PM
I procured a 40 oz. of Colt. 45 for $5.99. This weekend should be fun...

Epididymitis
08-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Went camping with the leftovers. Here's a beauty shot of the lineup and my best koozie.
https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8092/29154973835_a7ef8d4f49_z.jpg

Apparently drinking a bakers dozen of these fine beverages one afternoon wasn't good enough, because then I decided to empty out the remains of a random bottle of brandy that was laying around my trailer. Why was this in my trailer?
https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8545/28533201694_fe483e704f_n.jpg

I can confirm that the hangover the next day was a full five stars. Nearly puked into my coffee and baileys.

I still maintain that Tundra Ice is the best of the bunch, but that's like choosing which of these two sisters you are going to marry.
http://www.popularvirals.com/images/ugly-women/ugly-girls-0980.jpg

Advice, Kids, don't be like ExtraSlow.

More Advice, don't ever, for any reason, even in irony, purchase Beer Beer Strong. Worst of the bunch by a wide margin.

I think I'll spend my money on better drinks for a bit. This has been hell on my body, but aside from the little help cancer man gave me, I drank every single fucking one. I hope beyond recognizes the public service I've been doing.

thank you for putting your liver on the line for us.
you are a patriot in my eyes. god bless.

C_Dave45
08-23-2016, 03:35 PM
I have no idea if it's cheap. I never look at the price. I'll buy a 12 pack of Corona bottles one day, then a 24 of cans of something else.

I'm not a beer connoisseur by any means. Any domestic is fine, as long as it's ice cold. I vary from Kokanee, to Bud, to Keiths, to Stella, to Corona, but currently I've been enjoying one I used to drink 30 years ago. I like it. Doesn't seem to be the general consensus though.

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/files/imagecache/product_larger/products/904540.jpg

dirtsniffer
08-23-2016, 03:44 PM
I picked up 150 cans of lucky at the start of summer for camping season. Down to my last case for september long and I am looking forward to a change of pace. Maybe I should get on the booze for next year. Besides breakfast caesars.

sillysod
08-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Have any of you guys tired PC beer? For cheap beers that's about the only one I pick up.

The days of the beyond baller appear to be in the rear view mirror.

01RedDX
08-23-2016, 05:02 PM

ExtraSlow
08-23-2016, 05:33 PM
That lid is amazing.

suntan
08-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/files/imagecache/product_larger/products/904540.jpg That shit is disgusting. However it is cheap.

C_Dave45
08-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by suntan
That shit is disgusting. However it is cheap.

I've heard that from quite a few people. I find that beer "tastes" seem to come and go, almost like fashion.
When I was in high school, the "long neck bud" was the coolest beer to order. So everyone said it was the greatest tasting. Kokanee was crap, they all said. And I often wondered how many people repeated that without ever really tasting, or even knowing.

I had a buddy who used to call Kokanee "piss beer". "I dont drink that crap, tastes like shit".
So I had him over for beers one time, and I pulled a mug out of the freezer and filled it with an ice cold Kokanee and brought it to him.

*glug, glug, glug....Ohhh man, that's good beer...what is it?"

There is the very odd beer that I actually can't stand the taste of, and couldn't drink it...that 11% crap in the 40oz bottle is one. But almost any domestic beer I've ever tasted, is always good, as long as it's cold.
I'm not talking about micro-brewery specialty beer...just plane jane, old "BEER".

For everyone that tells me "that stuff is crap", I'd love to set 3 cold mugs in front of them and tell me which one is the "crap" beer.

ExtraSlow
08-25-2016, 06:49 PM
All of the big industrial brews are pretty similar. Bud, Molson Canadian, Pilsener, whatever. It's also all good enough for me.

xnvy
08-25-2016, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
For everyone that tells me "that stuff is crap", I'd love to set 3 cold mugs in front of them and tell me which one is the "crap" beer. Easy. It's the IPA :D

suntan
08-25-2016, 08:54 PM
I'd put Pilsner brand pilsner below Kokanee. Molson's, Kokanee, Rickard's, etc are fine.

The Americans are quite terrible - Bud just tastes weird (I guess I'm not a fan of beechwood), Coors has no taste.

BavarianBeast
08-25-2016, 10:02 PM
What cheap beer stock to buy?

ExtraSlow
08-26-2016, 07:32 AM
Bud uses some/more rice in thier blend to give more "snap" without adding any complex flavour. I do find that my tastebuds (hah!) don't get so tired drinking lots of bud over a long shift.

bulaian
08-26-2016, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
Have any of you guys tired PC beer? For cheap beers that's about the only one I pick up.

The days of the beyond baller appear to be in the rear view mirror.

As far as I know, PC beer, along with AGD, Co-Op Gold and River Valley are all brewed by Big Rock.

I don't mind the PC branded IPA

suntan
08-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Bud uses some/more rice in thier blend to give more "snap" without adding any complex flavour. I do find that my tastebuds (hah!) don't get so tired drinking lots of bud over a long shift. Yeah, never realized they used rice. Must be what I'm tasting in it.

Abeo
08-28-2016, 10:13 AM
I'm so sorry for suggesting beer beer strong :rofl:

dirtsniffer
08-28-2016, 10:39 AM
Bud uses some/more rice in thier blend to give more "snap" without adding any complex flavour. I do find that my tastebuds (hah!) don't get so tired drinking lots of bud over a long shift.

Bud is actually a rice beer. No wheat. Source celiac friend.

canadian_hustla
08-29-2016, 09:30 PM
A++++ thread
i love cheap beer. Nothing more satisfying cracking open a cold one that cost me $1/can, when I am with friends who are drinking $4/bottle Kronenbourgs out of their prestigous blue bottles.

personally, I think my favorite is one that you didn't mention. Brewhouse Prime is a solid choice from the Great Canadian Brewing Co (saskatchewan). Its dirt cheap at sobeys and no frills, and imo better than Black Ice as its a great balance between price, taste, and getting fucked up in that order. I feel like you should include it in your next line up and you may be plesantly surprised!

Interestingly my all time favorite beer was Black Ice although i migrated to Boxer (minhas), and now passed the torch to Brewhouse :nut:

CompletelyNumb
08-29-2016, 10:12 PM
+1 brewhouse. Great cheap beer.

Dave P
08-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
+1 brewhouse. Great cheap beer.

Another +1 For Brewhouse.

Also dont mind Keystone Light when on sale. On sale you can get close to the $1/can

tenth
09-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Bud is actually a rice beer. No wheat. Source celiac friend.
Barley is the traditional ingredient in beer, and Bud still uses malted barley, which contains gluten. They do use rice as well, which is alleged to be a cost cutting measure.

littledan
09-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Anyone try drummond beer?

Also, I love carling beer in the UK. So good.

Sdeibert
09-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by littledan
Anyone try drummond beer?

Also, I love carling beer in the UK. So good.

Drummond in the can is rather uh bad, lol. Drummond at the brewery is rather good! Doesn't help ya much unless you live in Red Deer.

My choice for a cheaper beer is AGD, the top is a conversation starter too.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8698/27612941843_d0410322d4_h.jpg

ExtraSlow
09-07-2016, 10:08 AM
AGD is a very solid choice, and safeway used to have it $18 for a 15 pack pretty regularly. Wish every beer came with that lid. It's amazing.

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2016, 08:41 AM
That lid sells it for me, it's like an old tin of pudding!