PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Things - Netflix Series

msommers
08-08-2016, 12:12 PM
This series has completely sucked me in. It's a real struggle to not sit and binge-watch all 8 episodes. Classified as Psychological Thriller, it's kept me really engaged and thinking about how the plot may unfold. What I enjoy about it most is that it's not a cheesy monster movie, it's really well done.

For anyone who plays video games, it kind of reminds me of F.E.A.R., Bioshock and Doom for some reason.

This thrilling Netflix-original drama stars award-winning actress Winona Ryder as Joyce Byers, who lives in a small Indiana town in 1983 -- inspired by a time when tales of science fiction captivated audiences. When Joyce's 12-year-old son, Will, goes missing, she launches a terrifying investigation into his disappearance with local authorities. As they search for answers, they unravel a series of extraordinary mysteries involving secret government experiments, unnerving supernatural forces, and a very unusual little girl.

XWxyRG_tckY

gpomp
08-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Good show. I binge watched the entire season in a day :nut:

XylathaneGTR
08-08-2016, 12:29 PM
watched the first couple episodes...my girlfriend fell asleep and I wanted to keep watching but she wanted to watch it "together." Ugh...

bleu
08-08-2016, 12:35 PM
I keep seeing it pop up while perusing Netflix. Definitely watching this one. Thanks for the recommendation!

nj2Type-S
08-08-2016, 01:01 PM
finished the series in a few days. I would recommend it. :thumbsup:

JustinMCS
08-08-2016, 01:08 PM
netflix and their content. they're doing so well. i plan to watch this one also :)

Mitsu3000gt
08-08-2016, 01:44 PM
I enjoyed the show. Definitely makes you want to keep watching. Winona Ryder was super annoying IMHO but otherwise I liked it. I thought it was pretty cheese though :) , but very enjoyable.

schocker
08-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Watched a week or so ago. One of the best bits of TV I have ever seen. Great setting/story/acting, great atmosphere making it feel like the 80's. Can't wait for season 2 now though.

freshprince1
08-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Fantastic show. Like a sci-fi Goonies. I never really took to Winona Ryder as the Mom, but the kid actors were absolutely fanstastic and spot on. Best Netflix show to date.

Feruk
08-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Loved it. Watched the whole season in 2 nights.

rx7boi
08-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Show is pretty cool but I find it a little bit too slow.

We were watching it during the hail storm couple days ago. Got some good thunder and a power outage in the middle of it. Real life SFX ftw :rofl:

Winona's hysterics are super annoying, unfortunately.

msommers
08-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Wow so many have completed the series already! On episode 5 tonight.

Winona's character is a crazed Mom who knows she is acting crazy but not crazy. Acting-wise I think she does a good job as a frantic Mother. Definitely gets a bit long in the tooth I'll admit.

firebane
08-08-2016, 07:33 PM
Show has been on Netflix for 2-3 weeks now and I watched it the first weekend.

So many nostalgic points and references and sheer awesomeness that most people don't even get the references

heavyD
08-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Loved this show. This is must watch for anyone that grew up in the 80's or any younger people that may be curious about the 80's. Only downer is that you can burn through it so fast watching one episode after the other.

ZenOps
08-09-2016, 08:48 AM
Yup, burned through it in two days. Homage to 80's shocker.

duaner
08-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Good show! Kind of a Fringe/Goonies thing going on. The wife and I were trying to take it slow but we watched episode 6 last night, which meant we had to watch 7...so we had to watch 8 as well. Too much going on in those last three to just save them for other nights.

JustinMCS
08-11-2016, 03:46 PM
started watching it - amazing so far. :)

JordanEG6
08-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Just finished the series. Very, very well executed. The score, the cast, the 80's throwback, everything. Even the intro was this 80's horror movie feel, it was awesome.

I didn't mind Winona Ryder's character and her crazy state of mind, her kid DID go missing with all kinds of weird stuff happening, so it was okay for me logically for her to act like that. She did an excellent job as well.

It's rumored that the show may be an anthology, much like American Horror Sorry (different theme, story arc and cast every season), except to be taken place entirely in the 80's. I really hope they stick with this cast, not only because you get attached to them but for me, it would be a shame to break up such a perfect cast who've all put out great performances, especially the kids on the show. Also, it ends with some unanswered questions.

EDIT:

Looks like it is the same story?
clicky (http://www.itechpost.com/articles/24417/20160815/stranger-things-season-2-details-revealed-who-eleven.htm)

:clap:

Dumbass17
08-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Finished last night, enjoyed it and liked the ending!

hurrdurr
08-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Really liked this show.

Those kids were impressive. I really liked the kid with no teeth, reminded me of me in the early nineties.

Brent.ff
08-16-2016, 04:25 PM
I like that everyone forgot about Barbara

max_boost
08-18-2016, 12:07 AM
Lol barb

Great show grat acting.

NoPulp
08-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Finished 4 episodes, I almost stopped watching it because I'm not typically into "thrillers". Glad I decided to keep watching, pretty good so far. I enjoy these netflix originals, usually pretty good.

Seth1968
08-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Watched the whole first season.

Lame, typical, and of course the expected idiotic and proverbial ending.

Don't bother, it's crap.

But then again, "crap" is subjective.

Kolbatron
08-24-2016, 08:02 PM
Watched it with the girlfriend, she really seemed to like it, while I on the other hand thought it was ok.

I agree with others that Winona Ryder was a little hard to watch in some of the episodes with her acting but overall the children actors were excellent!

It's good to have a show like this though, since the new 10 episode X-Files return, it's nice to have something more.

FixedGear
08-24-2016, 08:56 PM
Weve watched 2 episodes so far. I think most of the acting os pretty bad (especially the kids) and the dialogue is terrible. Too much of the dialogue is way too fake and hokey for me, no way kids would be acting like that. The fat chick getting upset with her friend for having a bf is totally unrealistic for high school.

J-hop
08-24-2016, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Weve watched 2 episodes so far. I think most of the acting os pretty bad (especially the kids) and the dialogue is terrible. Too much of the dialogue is way too fake and hokey for me, no way kids would be acting like that. The fat chick getting upset with her friend for having a bf is totally unrealistic for high school.

I can see what you are saying. For me the kids acting reminded me a lot of movies I grew up watching like stand by me etc, so I don't really mind it.

Definitely looking forward to the second season. Really liked it and the soundtrack was awesome.

n1zm0
08-25-2016, 08:53 AM

It was all intentional, lots of 80's movies are referenced as their influences for the show, so their maneurisms and dialogue are all a mish mash of that era from those teen love ones like 16 candles to how kids spoke in movies back then (basically they all talk and act like the Goonies kids). Definitely looking forward to season 2. The soundtrack that wasn't actually 80's hits was on point imo.

Explained here (there's definitely spoilers but when you see all the easter eggs they run through you almost go 'ohh yeah'...)

7N1rirHF6qk

FixedGear
08-25-2016, 04:43 PM
I grew up in the 80s with all those movies too, but that doesn't justify the shitty acting and dialogue.

Xtrema
08-28-2016, 10:33 AM
I grew up in the 80s with all those movies too, but that doesn't justify the shitty acting and dialogue.

I think we grew out of it. Still a good reflection of the era.

This is basically the same as The Wonder Years for our parents.

Nostalgia hits hard. I can smell the wood paneling and recall Radio Shack flyers watching this show.

As a story goes, its OK. Enough hooks to keep you binging but a lot of the characters' actions make little sense other than serving as plot devices.

Its basically JJ Abrams approach on filming. Just the greatest hits.

7/10 and most of that is authentically brought me back to the 80s.

D'z Nutz
10-13-2017, 09:03 AM
R1ZXOOLMJ8s

Seth1968
10-13-2017, 09:10 AM
This is basically the same as The Wonder Years for our parents.

The Wonder Years is epic at all levels. It's the total opposite of the Stranger Things crapfest.

Buster
10-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Stranger Things was fantastic. lol @ people shitting on it just to be edgy.

BokCh0y
10-13-2017, 10:08 AM

I really enjoyed stranger things.

Seth1968
10-13-2017, 11:07 AM

I have no desire to be edgy, I just call a spade a spade.

Stranger Things is a wonderful production if you have the intellect of a 12 year old.

firebane
10-13-2017, 11:15 AM
Stranger Things is a wonderful production if you have the intellect of a 12 year old.

Apparently you hated all the great classics from being a kid was awesome? Legend, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Goonies etc etc.

01RedDX
10-13-2017, 11:15 AM

Seth1968
10-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Apparently you hated all the great classics from being a kid was awesome? Legend, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Goonies etc etc.

Nope.

I loved Labyrinth and Dark Crystal.

If you're into such things, then Pan's Labyrinth.

heavyD
10-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Nope.

I loved Labyrinth and Dark Crystal.

If you're into such things, then Pan's Labyrinth.

You have to accept you are in the minority here. A very small minority. Heck you are the first person I have heard that disliked it like this. I suppose the 80's vibe may not resonate with some younger people but it's pretty universally liked and IMO worthy of the hype according to most. I thought it was excellent and the only thing keeping it from perfection is the modest budget they had to work with.

Xtrema
10-13-2017, 01:44 PM
You have to accept you are in the minority here. A very small minority. Heck you are the first person I have heard that disliked it like this. I suppose the 80's vibe may not resonate with some younger people but it's pretty universally liked and IMO worthy of the hype according to most. I thought it was excellent and the only thing keeping it from perfection is the modest budget they had to work with.

Seth is probably into his 50s or 60s. Those are the one that usually don't quite like Stranger Things.

For kids, it's something they have not seen. For us, it's memberberries.

JordanEG6
10-13-2017, 01:50 PM
I have no desire to be edgy, I just call a spade a spade.

This is a very 'Beyond.ca' response. Old men on a porch hating something popular to go against the grain, then insult those who like it.

I enjoyed it personally. I agree in regards to small budget they had to work with. Hopefully the production value is greater for season 2, based on it's opening success.

Tik-Tok
10-13-2017, 03:39 PM
Seth is probably into his 50s or 60s. Those are the one that usually don't quite like Stranger Things.

Exactly, he would have been in his mid to late twenties. His memberberries would be more in the form of Dazed and Confused.

Buster
10-13-2017, 03:57 PM
This is a very 'Beyond.ca' response. Old men on a porch hating something popular to go against the grain, then insult those who like it.

I enjoyed it personally. I agree in regards to small budget they had to work with. Hopefully the production value is greater for season 2, based on it's opening success.

Irony: it's actually more the way a 12 year old thinks. lol

Seth1968
10-13-2017, 05:20 PM

The people that don't like Stranger Things, are the people that don't like cliche shit and pathetic production.

The people that don't like Stranger things, are the people that think OITNB is crap compared to Wentworth.

Again, if you're into nostalgia or whatever (and appreciate quality productions), then watch The Wonder Years series or the movie Pan's Labyrinth.

speedog
10-13-2017, 05:20 PM

Hey, hey, stop it with that broad brush - it's a very good series.

firebane
10-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Season 2 released Friday.. Anyone else binge watching?

Darell_n
10-28-2017, 08:18 PM
Season 2 released Friday.. Anyone else binge watching?

Done.

Skrilla
10-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Had surgery this week, binged season 2. So good!!

Buster
10-29-2017, 08:16 PM
ya, season 2 was fantastic

Darell_n
10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
^Agreed. Can’t have imagine the writers taking it any further, now.

Shlade
10-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Great show! Just finished the second season a couple days ago.

Feruk
10-31-2017, 02:40 PM
Three days for me. Loved it.

Tik-Tok
10-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Just finished it. Another good season, but the whole "bully brother" thing was really unnecessary. The suicide squad was pretty meh too.

firebane
10-31-2017, 06:22 PM
Anyone ever play Abe's Odyssey? Those creatures reminded me of them.

Shlade
10-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Just finished it. Another good season, but the whole "bully brother" thing was really unnecessary. The suicide squad was pretty meh too.

Yeah agreed. I thought he would of played a bit more of a role towards the end but really his character was set up for nothing lol

Buster
11-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Setup for future seasons and also to get the whole "lost boys" combined with "stand by me" aspect going.

The_Penguin
11-07-2017, 08:47 PM
OK, I was avoiding it, but decided to give it a try.
Polished off Season 1 in 3 days. Loved it!
And I'm a mid-50's old fart. Love the 80's tech. There seem to a few instances of white LEDs (flashlights and helmet illumination) that didn't exist back then, but otherwise pretty true to the era.
Downloading season 2 now.

adam c
11-07-2017, 09:52 PM
I still don't understand the introduction of Max and her step brother, they really play no role in this season.. Also the end in just a portion of the last episode, I would have like to have seen at least one more episode as it was a good run up then just ended

timdog
11-08-2017, 02:28 PM
overall i liked season 2, but agreed that the suicide squad episode was brutal. It was good for the story, but was executed poorly. so cheesy and stupid.

AzNxHyDrA
11-08-2017, 03:39 PM
I still don't understand the introduction of Max and her step brother, they really play no role in this season.. Also the end in just a portion of the last episode, I would have like to have seen at least one more episode as it was a good run up then just ended

To me the siblings aided in the development of the main characters.

The step brother became the school bully so Steve became softer and ended up being a "big brother" to the kids. The girl created a different dynamic for the group and added conflict due to the love triangle and Mike's hesitancy to include her in the group.

I just started watching Beyond Stranger Things and they have some nice discussions in the episodes.

TomcoPDR
11-10-2017, 04:38 AM
Setup for future seasons and also to get the whole "lost boys" combined with "stand by me" aspect going.

For season 2, I find it more Jessica Alba's Dark Angel with current Marvel TV series type shows (kids with mutant/super powers), combined with Resident Evil weirdness.

hurrdurr
11-10-2017, 03:14 PM
Season one was definitely better.

I agree about Max and her brother, they offered nothing to this season IMO and Episode 7 was a complete throwaway. It made Eleven less likeable for me (her acting was god awful) and everything else that happened that episode was stupid. Episode 9 felt very rushed, would have preferred Episode 8/9 to be stretched out with one extra episode.

Too bad Bob died, he was super likeable and overall a great character. I thought Steve was going to die on Ep 9 too, glad he didnt

Bladeh
11-12-2017, 07:11 PM
Season 2 was good, but they sure over hype the kid actors.

phreezee
11-16-2017, 01:21 PM
Season one was definitely better.

Too bad Bob died, he was super likeable and overall a great character. I thought Steve was going to die on Ep 9 too, glad he didnt

That was completely predictable the moment he said "Everything is going to be ok" ... I turned to the wife and said, you know he ded. It's like a rule in horror movies, you don't be the first to get naked or say that everything is going to be ok.

Sugarphreak
11-16-2017, 01:45 PM

lilmira
07-06-2019, 02:22 PM
Finished season 3, no master piece but it's entertaining. The kids got a bit annoying at times but that's not out of line for a story about teenagers. Steve is my favourite character. Bald eagle is funny. New girl Erica is pretty good. The other new girl Robin is Uma Thurman's daughter. No wonder she looks familiar but I couldn't figure out which show I have seen her from. What can I say about Hopper?

firebane
07-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Finished season 3, no master piece but it's entertaining. The kids got a bit annoying at times but that's not out of line for a story about teenagers. Steve is my favourite character. Bald eagle is funny. New girl Erica is pretty good. The other new girl Robin is Uma Thurman's daughter. No wonder she looks familiar but I couldn't figure out which show I have seen her from. What can I say about Hopper?

Hopper is a staple of the show. He's the glue that holds everything together.

cycosis
07-07-2019, 09:11 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed this season. Was anticipating a drop in story quality but I liked it more than season 2.

adam c
07-07-2019, 10:14 PM
I thought the quality has gone down, the story seemed rushed and disconnected despite the plot

firebane
07-07-2019, 10:36 PM
I thought the quality has gone down, the story seemed rushed and disconnected despite the plot

If you check out all the plot breakdown videos on YouTube it actually makes a lot of sense and the plot is actually pretty on point

CompletelyNumb
07-08-2019, 12:37 AM
Any time a kid was on the walkie talkie I wanted to punch them in the mouth. They took those "act annoying" cues too far.

Otherwise good season.

adam c
07-08-2019, 06:54 AM
If you check out all the plot breakdown videos on YouTube it actually makes a lot of sense and the plot is actually pretty on point

I understood it, that’s why I said despite the plot

I liked seasons 1&2 better

dirtsniffer
07-08-2019, 07:41 AM
I'm 4 episodes in. Enjoying it so far.

heavyD
07-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Season 3 is the best thing I have seen on TV in some time. It's like a blockbuster summer movie paced over 8 episodes and one of the rare shows that people of all ages can enjoy.

dirtsniffer
07-18-2019, 09:36 AM
I always love the build up to each seasons monster. show is great at building suspense. Thought the mind flayer was a little cheesy looking. Easily one of the best original shows that I have watched.

firebane
07-18-2019, 10:00 AM
I always love the build up to each seasons monster. show is great at building suspense. Thought the mind flayer was a little cheesy looking. Easily one of the best original shows that I have watched.

You don't know who the Mind Flayer is. The monster is NOT that. The mind flayer is behind the opening they are trying to get open again and with it slightly open the mind flayers powers can escape and take host into a body. Previous it was Will then this season it was Billy.

dirtsniffer
07-18-2019, 10:31 AM
You don't know who the Mind Flayer is. The monster is NOT that. The mind flayer is behind the opening they are trying to get open again and with it slightly open the mind flayers powers can escape and take host into a body. Previous it was Will then this season it was Billy.

I thought that it was a portion of the mind flayer. like an appendage or something. Isn't the mind flayer a giant version? Wasn't it is season two? few stories tall tormenting Will?

Ohh, I guess it makes sense that it was weird looking because it was made of random peoples goop. Gross. So it wasn't actually a physical piece of the mind flayer.

firebane
07-18-2019, 11:03 AM
I thought that it was a portion of the mind flayer. like an appendage or something. Isn't the mind flayer a giant version? Wasn't it is season two? few stories tall tormenting Will?

Ohh, I guess it makes sense that it was weird looking because it was made of random peoples goop. Gross. So it wasn't actually a physical piece of the mind flayer.

Yeah what we saw from Will was what we got in S3 and I gotta say.. that monster was gross and hell