PDA

View Full Version : World Health

frozenrice
08-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Any members on here with personal training packages?
They're trying to get me to sign up for a promo. $70/biweekly, 1 session per week, which basically works out to $35/session. If I miss any I don't have to pay for them and no contract. Just sounds too good to be true and figure there has to be a catch sonewhere in there.

Should add that I just finished my last session of a 36 session contract so I'm not sure if this is just a typical sales tactic or if it's actually a new promo.

MR2-3SGTE
08-08-2016, 09:10 PM
I was told by one of the trainers that the new promo actually does have a 3 month contract. So if you a skip session one week, you'd still be liable to make up for it some other week.

frozenrice
08-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Interesting. I was specifically told no contract and that I don't have to pay for missed sessions even though I was quoted $70/biweekly. Supposedly works out to the equivalent of 52 sessions a year at $35 per session. Sessions are 45min each instead of the usual 1hour. I don't know... no contract, decent price, don't pay for missed sessions....something just doesn't add up here. I'd like to take advantage of the pricing if I could but I'm not in a position to get stuck with regular payments. even though it's a good price, at the end of the day it's roughly $140 a month I can use to pay for other stuff.

Dumbass17
08-09-2016, 06:31 PM
80% of the personal trainers at WHC need personal trainers. I never get how someone can shell out money for a "trainer" when they are in better shape than said "trainer":nut:

A790
08-09-2016, 06:42 PM
A good trainer won't work at $35/session :)

roll_over
08-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
80% of the personal trainers at WHC need personal trainers. I never get how someone can shell out money for a "trainer" when they are in better shape than said "trainer":nut:

I don't think you should be critiquing anyone's figure since based off the photos you posted in the tattoo thread you're the textbook definition of skinny fat, I also doubt you've ever seen the inside of a gym before.

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p763/bouchedag84/Pointless/IMG_20160305_161958_zpsrznw2efa.jpg

sneek
08-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by roll_over

I don't think you should be critiquing anyone's figure since based off the photos you posted in the tattoo thread you're the textbook definition of skinny fat, I also doubt you've ever seen the inside of a gym before.

Savage...

But he isn't wrong. The personal trainer I was offered at World Health was crap. I imagine about 50% of personal trainers at the big box gyms aren't great.

frozenrice
08-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Seems like there's not a lot of love for trainers. Whether we need one or not, what they look like or how much they charge isn't what I was asking. At least I'm making it out to the gym to begin with.

roll_over
08-09-2016, 10:23 PM
:zzz:

A790
08-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Ahh yes, the classic "you aren't shredded, therefore what do you know about training?".

Nice one, well played.

Here's the thing: whether or not the Dumbass is skinnyfat is totally irrelevant in this context. Most trainers at WHC - coming from a guy that has hired two of them in the past - aren't really good trainers. Like trainers at Goodlife/etc., they take a few courses (internally branded/run) and are then "certified".

Now, I'm not going to upload a photo of my six pack so you'll take me seriously. You can take my word for it, or you can go hire a trainer and find out for yourself.

I was less than impressed.

Originally posted by sneek

Savage...

But he isn't wrong. The personal trainer I was offered at World Health was crap. I imagine about 50% of personal trainers at the big box gyms aren't great.
Most aren't. Most follow a generic routine that is marginally customized for each person.

Originally posted by frozenrice
Seems like there's not a lot of love for trainers. Whether we need one or not, what they look like or how much they charge isn't what I was asking. At least I'm making it out to the gym to begin with.
I don't know why you're getting defensikve. Here's the honest truth: hire a trainer if you need that push to actually go to the gym. It'll be worth the $35/session from that perspective. However, if you are going to go regardless, then don't hire the trainer.

Save your money.

Instead, book a session or two with a trainer that trains in the discipline you're going for. If you're looking to lose weight and tone up, find a trainer that focuses on that kind of training. They won't work at a WHC. They'll have their own facility.

Spend the $100 or $200 for a couple of sessions and get the form down. Once you've learned the form, you don't need a trainer.

Truthfully, you don't need a trainer to learn the form, either. It comes down to you and how you learn.

Were I you, I'd pocket the cash and spend a few weeks in the gym learning fundamentals. How to squat, deadlift, etc.

sneek
08-10-2016, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Any day you go to the gym is better than one you spend on the couch. I do agree with A790 though. You would be better served finding a good personal trainer at a smaller gym, learning the basics and going out on your own. As much as YouTube can teach you anything, it is nice having somebody ensure you aren't going to wreck yourself when you're starting out.

pheoxs
08-10-2016, 08:30 AM
Tried a few through worldhealth and goodlife and underwhelmed to say the least. Found a proper trainer through a smaller gym and will never look back.

A790
08-10-2016, 08:32 AM
If you're wanting to learn form, you're welcome to come to my place and I'll run you through the big lifts. I've got a complete gym in my basement.

lasimmon
08-10-2016, 08:34 AM
I go to world health, and I sometimes copy what the trainers are doing for other people and then they get mad at me "if you want to do our routine, buy some training sessions!!" :rofl:

Lex350
08-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

So true. I think I've only seen 1 training at World's Edgemont that would be any good. Half the time you see "trainers" showing people how to do things wrong (bad form)

frozenrice
08-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by A790
I don't know why you're getting defensikve. Here's the honest truth: hire a trainer if you need that push to actually go to the gym. It'll be worth the $35/session from that perspective. However, if you are going to go regardless, then don't hire the trainer.

Save your money.

Instead, book a session or two with a trainer that trains in the discipline you're going for. If you're looking to lose weight and tone up, find a trainer that focuses on that kind of training. They won't work at a WHC. They'll have their own facility.

Spend the $100 or $200 for a couple of sessions and get the form down. Once you've learned the form, you don't need a trainer.

Truthfully, you don't need a trainer to learn the form, either. It comes down to you and how you learn.

Were I you, I'd pocket the cash and spend a few weeks in the gym learning fundamentals. How to squat, deadlift, etc.

If you're wanting to learn form, you're welcome to come to my place and I'll run you through the big lifts. I've got a complete gym in my basement.

Didn't mean to come across as defensive. just pointing out that there haven't been many responses to my initial question.

When I started going to the gym last fall, I was way overweight and out of shape and had no clue at all in terms of having a balanced workout routine. Regardless of how good/bad a trainer I have, it at least gave me a basis to get started. not that it's anything to brag about but I am 35 lbs lighter and my bmi has improved drastically not to mention I was able to run in a 10k a few months ago. I really can't say that I would have been able to do that by myself.

Anyways I appreciate where you are coming from and your offer to help.

CompletelyNumb
08-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Nathaniel at the Richmond location is probably the most athletic trainer WH has in Calgary. Great guy. Educated. Competitor. Of that's in your driving range I'd go talk to him.

scboss
08-12-2016, 11:50 PM
Might as well chime in here as im a PT at WH

For 35 per session im assuming your looking at group rate???

The promo is that you can cancel anytime after 3 months. Never go in debt just get what you pay for.

As far as bad trainers go like any job bad employees/unskilled do exist.
My industry has some of the highest turnover rates because everyone thinks they can be a trainer. I was the same way only difference is I kept educating myself and tracking everything always looking to improve.

My two cents
When looking for a trainer ask to see his credentials, programs, testimonials, before/afters and if possible grab a couple complimentary sessions to see if your compatible. Even better talk to some of the trainers clients.

Trust me when I say this I have gotten new clients from small gyms, chain gyms, other trainers in my company etc. Shit trainers exist everywhere and are trying to come up with the next "big thing" instead of sticking to the basics.

No one should convince you what your goals are and if they cant get you what you want find someone else.

scboss
08-13-2016, 12:27 AM

If your goal is weight loss and toning and that alone you would be better off hiring a nutritionist and going to free group ex classes, doing outdoor activities etc. Shit ive worked on nutrition with a few older women and all they do is zumba and they have dropped in upwards of 3-5 lbs a week.

I agree 100% with just buying sessions and learning what you need to know. Your trainers main goal should be to get you working on your own as much as possible. Most of my long term clients see me 2-4x a month for programming and educating them on different lifts/nutrition/mobility etc.

LOL your small gym comment is funny because when i was doing my practicum in university I was literally given free reigns over a bunch of clients, teams etc without even graduating. This was at a small gym under a well respected coach in the western canada powerlfiting community.

Dumbass17
08-13-2016, 07:50 AM

Well that was fucking rude :rolleyes: