PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 3D modeler/designer

A790
08-15-2016, 02:18 PM
Hey beyond,

I'm building a consumer product and need a 3D modeller/designer to refine an existing design as well as design add-on products.

Since I don't know where to start looking, before I go a-Googlin' I thought I'd see if anyone here knows of anyone reputable and reliable.

JfuckinC
08-15-2016, 02:21 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243169

What is it? might be able to help you out, or you can browse that thread for someone too.

Jlude
08-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Hey Cam - email me the details and I'll point you in the right direction. It depends on what type of 3D model you need, more specifically what the purpose is, which will determine the software package that is used.

gretz
08-15-2016, 02:46 PM
I use Solidworks / could help you out depending on what you need

JfuckinC
08-15-2016, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by gretz
I use Solidworks / could help you out depending on what you need

I was going to username drop you but couldn't remember your UN haha.. That's why I linked the thread..

ercchry
08-15-2016, 02:57 PM
there is a couple kinds of these guys the gretz/jlude/jfuckinc/me's of the world... then the more artistic stuff.... like game design, if its the latter i know a guy that i could connect you with

A790
08-15-2016, 03:46 PM
The product is a consumer product, not for video games. :)

ercchry
08-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Yeah, gretz is the way to go then... He has all the fancy machines too... I no longer have access to a 3-D printer, nor have any decent software right now, although I've done a fair amount of prototyping

Jlude
08-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Yeah, gretz is the way to go then... He has all the fancy machines too... I no longer have access to a 3-D printer, nor have any decent software right now, although I've done a fair amount of prototyping

Solidworks is one option and probably most likely the best option, depending on the product, but you can get away with using any other software more on the side of rendering/prototyping, rather than construction/design software.

legendboy
08-17-2016, 10:50 AM
15 years modeling with Inventor here

g-m
08-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Just to confirm, are you looking for a tech or an engineer?

Gart
08-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=243169

What is it? might be able to help you out, or you can browse that thread for someone too.

^^ We've used this guy before. Was great.

A790
08-17-2016, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Just to confirm, are you looking for a tech or an engineer?
Neither.

A designer.

Sugarphreak
08-17-2016, 08:58 PM

A790
08-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

So just as an observation, the term "designer" is pretty broad. It would help if you were a bit more specific about the services you need.

Do you need something modeled up and printed in 3D, or for for a CNC machine? Or do you need shop drawings for a fabricator shop? Or do you need a design to send to an overseas manufacturer for mass production?

I NEED SOMEONE TO CREATE AND REFINE 2D SKETCHES AND THEN TRASNFER THAT TO A 3D MODEL. THE DESIGN/MODEL WILL BE USED TO DEVELOP A PROTOTYPE, WITH ITERATIONS/ETC. ON TOP FO THAT.

You mentioned you have an existing design... is it an existing set of 2D plans, 3D model, or a physical prototype? If it is an existing electronic file or some sort, what is the native format?

ROUGH 2D DESIGN AT THIS TIME. NOTHING IN 3D.

For your new product... is it just an idea in your head at this moment that you need a designer for? Or do you already have sketches and dimensions figured out and just need drafting/modeling help turning it into an electronic model or set of plans?

WE HAVE SPECIFICATIONS/ETC. AND NOW NEED SOMEONE TO TACKLE THE DESIGN AND 3D RENDERING OF SAID DESIGN.

Answers in caps :)

Where I'm struggling is finding someone who can do both the 2D design/artistry piece and translate that to a 3D model. Maybe there is no single person suited for that?

ercchry
08-18-2016, 10:20 AM
I'd probably just go straight to 3-D... I too have an autodesk inventor background, and with that program you can just create a 2-D drawing from the 3-D model, easy to track changes too.

I do have a bunch of free time and could help you out if you want... But for the actual prototype I'd only be able to direct you to someone that could create it

JfuckinC
08-18-2016, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by A790

Answers in caps :)

Where I'm struggling is finding someone who can do both the 2D design/artistry piece and translate that to a 3D model. Maybe there is no single person suited for that?

Our job is to take ideas/sketches from 2D, make them 3D, make sure everything works, then return that to 2D to be printed in usable drawings, or exported to be 3D printed, CNC'd etc...

Should be a one man show, sugarphreak was just trying to differentiate with you the guys that do shop drawings for steel, wont necessarily be the prototyping kind of designers. That said lots of people can do both.

I think G-M was just trying to stir the pot ;)

Sugarphreak
08-18-2016, 10:41 AM

g-m
08-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Our job is to take ideas/sketches from 2D, make them 3D, make sure everything works, then return that to 2D to be printed in usable drawings, or exported to be 3D printed, CNC'd etc...

Should be a one man show, sugarphreak was just trying to differentiate with you the guys that do shop drawings for steel, wont necessarily be the prototyping kind of designers. That said lots of people can do both.

I think G-M was just trying to stir the pot ;) haha it's been a while since the last engineer/tech 10 page 'discussion' ;)

gretz
08-18-2016, 11:58 AM
It all starts with an idea / need / challenge

-using 2D curves to create the shapes needed to "manipulate" into 3D

-Determine needed tolerances

-Use the 3D model as the basis for the drawings / to get the correct view orientations to "properly" draw and dimension/tolerance part

-Determine materials and strategize manufacturing

-execute

-evaluate

Is this tech or eng work if it can be done start to finish with one person?

Jlude
08-18-2016, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by gretz
It all starts with an idea / need / challenge

-using 2D curves to create the shapes needed to "manipulate" into 3D

-Determine needed tolerances

-Use the 3D model as the basis for the drawings / to get the correct view orientations to "properly" draw and dimension/tolerance part

-Determine materials and strategize manufacturing

-execute

-evaluate

Is this tech or eng work if it can be done start to finish with one person?

I suggested Cam talk to you. It's an idea that needs to be worked out into a 3D design and then translated to a function 2D drawing that can be manufactured.

A790
08-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

I suggested Cam talk to you. It's an idea that needs to be worked out into a 3D design and then translated to a function 2D drawing that can be manufactured.
Yea we're chatting now.

Good stuff, Beyond comes through again :P