PDA

View Full Version : AWD Power and Slalom

flipstah
08-18-2016, 09:39 AM
So on a slalom, where does the most power go through a turn if you have AWD?

Inside or outside wheels? When does the transfer happen and how do these systems know when to transfer?

I've driven AWD but don't really know the sensor mechanics of it. I just know that it works.

In a slalom, do you want a RWD or FWD-bias setup? Or not even, just 50/50?

Just a discussion point. :hitit:

ercchry
08-18-2016, 09:43 AM
That's going to be dependent on the system, and probably more of a stability control thing, also on or off throttle, etc

I'd say under ideal conditions, outside as it has to complete a wider arc than inside

Sugarphreak
08-18-2016, 09:50 AM

flipstah
08-18-2016, 09:55 AM
So then just constant throttle is key and steer like a mofo. I got curious with the physics of AutoX, but couldn't really figure it out.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-18-2016, 10:18 AM
If you give it too much gas, you lose traction from the weight transfer, regardless of drivetrain, and will likely spin out. If you let off too much, or brake, you'll plow and understeer straight through. As sugar said, you keep a neutral throttle, and minimum steering input.

flipstah
08-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Is there such thing as going in 'too hot' for the slalom (too much speed)?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Is there such thing as going in 'too hot' for the slalom (too much speed)?

Yes, then you tend to get behind on your turns and continue to slow down. Slow in fast out is very true for slaloms. As far as constant throttle in a slalom, my preference would be RWD as it may be the most neutral depending on grip levels. Smoothness is also important, extreme weight transfer and heavy inputs will upset the car more than precise smooth motions that keep the vehicle motions to a minimum. As you learn a vehicle you can begin to play with the inputs and make it act more like you want it to even if it's not perfectly set up.

Sugarphreak
08-19-2016, 12:13 PM

r3ccOs
08-19-2016, 12:22 PM
I've always thought that with too much "Grip" on an AWD platform, regardless of haldex or symmetrics, using haldec or even with as much of brake/ABS computer assisted traction torque management that the biggest problem is that the drive (front) suspension will always become "loaded" under power resulting in unpredictable weight transfer... where a RWD vehicle pushing through the slalom will at least be more predictable and manageable.

Isn't this on top of the weird weight distribution (even if 50/50) but due to the typical transmission/diff position why habitually AWD vehicles experience unnatural under steer?

don't get me wrong, all high performance vehicles have had their chassis (frame) and suspension engineered to accommodate this... however I would reckon that a like for like vehicle that is RWD vs AWD without traction issues, would preform better though a slalom?

Sugarphreak
08-19-2016, 12:31 PM