PDA

View Full Version : black spots on north facing siding

TimG
08-22-2016, 03:04 PM
I noticed some random black spots last year on the siding on my north facing siding. I thought it was just random dirt and left it alone.

This year, tho, the number of spots has increased.. i took a closer look and it doesn't look like dirt. it doesn't come off with just a brush and water. Closest thing i could find online is that it's something called artillery fungus.

Has anyone had this around here? i have no idea where this could be coming from - it's managed to make it's way half way up the 2nd floor (about 20 feet above grade). the suggestion is that this comes from decaying plant matter, but there is no decaying plant matter in my backyard...

jwslam
08-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by TimG
I noticed some random black spots last year on the siding on my north facing siding. I thought it was just random dirt and left it alone.

This year, tho, the number of spots has increased.. i took a closer look and it doesn't look like dirt. it doesn't come off with just a brush and water. Closest thing i could find online is that it's something called artillery fungus.

Has anyone had this around here? i have no idea where this could be coming from - it's managed to make it's way half way up the 2nd floor (about 20 feet above grade). the suggestion is that this comes from decaying plant matter, but there is no decaying plant matter in my backyard...
I have that on some of my vinyl siding, and have seen it on my parents' sheet metal siding. If it's the decaying stuff you're talking about I could see it happening. There's probably stuff growing behind the siding and comes out where the weep holes or whatever they're called are; I've noticed the spots more concentrated in the draining areas. Mine seems to come off by pressure washer?

TimG
08-22-2016, 03:57 PM
i don't have a pressure washer to give it a shot with, but the spots are everywhere, not just where the drain holes are.

I've tried a stiff bristle brush and water, but it doesn't come off completely, only fades.

suntan
08-22-2016, 04:13 PM
In my case it was spiders catching mosquitoes that had blood in them.

Yum!

freshvibes
08-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Mold and algae typically grow on the north side of the house due to moisture and no sunlight. Spray it with a bleach and water mixture and it should take care of it.

jwslam
08-23-2016, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by freshvibes
Mold and algae typically grow on the north side of the house due to moisture and no sunlight. Spray it with a bleach and water mixture and it should take care of it.
Make sure it doesn't run off into sewers ;)

TimG
08-30-2016, 12:02 PM
went at it on the weekend with come fungus/mold/algae cleaner and a mr clean magic eraser and it's all gone - for now!