PDA

View Full Version : Witnessed nice accident on Crowchild

rage2
06-04-2002, 10:39 AM
Some guy in the opposite lane (northbound) right after the Crowchild bridge construction, too fast around the right hander, tank slapper, head on into the wall. Ouch!

Looked like a Grand Am or something. Slow down peoples!

ninspeed
06-04-2002, 10:47 AM
I saw a nice 3 car pile up on anderson/bowbottom/deerfoot interchange a few days ago.. the guys was going so fast when he hit the poor lady in a huge toyota suv she about knocked a ligt poll down (sitting a 45 degree angle right now)... the damm engine flew out of the ford that hit the toyota and was sitting on the other side of deerfoot along with a tire.. (i think somebody died)

CRXguy
06-04-2002, 04:52 PM
Hey Rob, are you talking about that dark colored 4runner that flipped over? Sunday evening I think? I thought it was a single car accident? But yeah, that light pole is bent over pretty good.

James
06-05-2002, 03:05 AM
Sexualbanana and myself saw the car accident that happened on Saturday night, that involved a Taxi and a huge Chevy truck(i think), Moments after it happened, looked pretty damn brutal :( Ambulance wasnt even on the scene yet, The driver of the Cab ended up dying, Driver of the Truck was drunk.:mad:

4wheeldrift
06-05-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by ninspeed
I saw a nice 3 car pile up on anderson/bowbottom/deerfoot interchange a few days ago.. the guys was going so fast when he hit the poor lady in a huge toyota suv she about knocked a ligt poll down (sitting a 45 degree angle right now)... the damm engine flew out of the ford that hit the toyota and was sitting on the other side of deerfoot along with a tire.. (i think somebody died)
I drove by that accident on northbound deerfoot. When I went by they had traffic all blocked off and there was something that might have been a car at some point in its career (although you could hardly recognize it as such) sitting in the ditch.

E36M3
06-05-2002, 12:34 PM
I was in pretty heavy traffic yesterday, coming home from the Oakland airport and was coming off of the freeway and someone ahead decided to smoke on their brakes.. I had about 15 cars behind me, and had to feather my brakes so that I wouldn't get hit from behind (my brakes are like the hand of God). Anyway, a Nissan XTerra was behind the car behind me, and instead of smahing the car to oblivion, he went up on a huge curb between the car behind me and the guard rail, literally within half an inch of the guard rail and about 1/4" from the car in front of him, and avoided causing a massive pileup. There was about 4 feet between me and the car ahead of me, and I creeped up about 3.5 feet just as the XTerra came barrelling along the side of us.. he stopped about half a foot from the back of my car.

Pretty trippy shit. He got a big thumbs up.

kenny
06-05-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
Pretty trippy shit. He got a big thumbs up.

:eek: aren't the freeways usually pretty heavy in traffic? amazng that there aren't alot more pileups on the highways down there. Good job on coming out unscatched! :thumbsup:

CRXguy
06-05-2002, 01:03 PM
It's actually pretty smooth considering the amount of cars on the road down there. I've only been stuck at a standstill once down in Cali. It sure wasn't fun!!:nut:

E36M3
06-05-2002, 01:59 PM
To be quite honest, traffic in Calgary is exponentially worse at rush hour then in San Francisco. Although I don't commute, my girlfriend does, and it only takes her about 25 minutes to get from San Francisco to Oakland (and back), all in rush hour. Aside from rush hour, the roads are pretty free flowing, and traffic moves *very* fast. My average speed on the freeway is about 85-90 mph (130-150km/h) and I am often following people doing the same speed. Flow of traffic is generally about 75mph (125km/h), which is way faster than anything I ever experienced on Deerfoot. When I am back in Calgary, I get really worried doing over 120km/h on Deerfoot. One advantage of the huge freeways here is that it is virtually impossible to setup radar traps, and they don't have multanova cameras, as they are illegal. I've gotten one speeding ticket in California, and that was because of my own silliness at 3:30am.

rage2
06-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Rush hour here sucks because we only have 1 freeway (Deerfoot) to feed a large portion of the city. Curious to see how Calgary will expand it's roads when the population keeps going up. We need some 6 lane roads! =)

D'z Nutz
06-05-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Rush hour here sucks because we only have 1 freeway (Deerfoot) to feed a large portion of the city. Curious to see how Calgary will expand it's roads when the population keeps going up. We need some 6 lane roads! =)

Actually I read somewhere that they're planning on expanding deerfoot so that it'll eventually be 5 lanes each way. Can't remember where, but I think it was in the newspaper somewhere a while back.

James
06-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Within the next 2 years Deerfoot is supposed to be 5 lanes each way south off Anderson/bowbottom. Then they will be "working "on doing the rest of deerfoot, which means like 20 years.:rolleyes: :p

mwmhong
06-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by James
Within the next 2 years Deerfoot is supposed to be 5 lanes each way south off Anderson/bowbottom. Then they will be "working "on doing the rest of deerfoot, which means like 20 years.:rolleyes: :p

I wonder why they'd widen it way down there, during the rush hours it seems that the choke points are north of Memorial, but what do I know, I never go down that far south.

CRXguy
06-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

I wonder why they'd widen it way down there, during the rush hours it seems that the choke points are north of Memorial, but what do I know, I never go down that far south.

Very true. I see more more traffic between Memorial Dr and Beddington Tr., than I do south of Anderson.

boi-alien
06-05-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

yea man, during rush hour between beddington and memorial sometimes comes to a halt. like my car isn't moving at all and shiet... which kinda sucks... but like mwmhong said, i don't really go down that far south... especially NOT during rush hour so i don't really know how bad traffic is down there

James
06-05-2002, 11:47 PM
The traffic down south isnt that bad during rush hour, that is most likely why they are starting to widen Deerfoot down south, less problems. Could you imagine what it would be like if they did construction between Memorial and Beddington?? traffic would be moving at 1km/h!:rolleyes:

mwmhong
06-06-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by James
The traffic down south isnt that bad during rush hour, that is most likely why they are starting to widen Deerfoot down south, less problems. Could you imagine what it would be like if they did construction between Memorial and Beddington?? traffic would be moving at 1km/h!:rolleyes:

So, are they just 'practicing' down south while Deerfoot Trail becomes a playground zone during rush hour and continues to worsen? :confused: If widening must be done, would it be better to be slow now, or even slower later with more people?

20 years? Maybe I'll be retired by then, so I won't care:D

Audi Kid
06-09-2002, 04:16 PM
driving home from school this guy was going north on crowchild over the 1 lane bridge and he flew thru the fence and hit the back of the fucking parked semi truck! when you go buy check out the semi!! its bent to shit funniest thing i ever saw in my life.

T5_X
06-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
My average speed on the freeway is about 85-90 mph (130-150km/h) and I am often following people doing the same speed. Flow of traffic is generally about 75mph (125km/h),

Sheit! People there must be way better drivers than up here!

And yah, Calgary in hush hour sucks, but try Vancouver!!!! I absolutly hate that city because of the traffic, crappy roads and lack of freeways. I'm gonna move back there for the last 2 months of summer, just hope I don't get caught in some shitty situations with my dad's expedition!