PDA

View Full Version : How fast do you drive in the city?

HiTempguy1
08-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Now, there will always be "some" variation on how fast a person drives, but what are your "rules of the road" that you follow? Since the weather got dreary and rainy the past couple of days, my work commute has gotten bogged down by 2-3 people pacing each other at 59km/h on driving down one road (compromises 85% of my 15 minute morning commute), divided 4 lane road and it is starting to drive me batshit crazy.

I always drive 10km/h over, unless going through a known speed trap area or school zones (even then, I usually still do 40km/h honestly, as 30km/h is f*&king ridiculous).

This poll is NOT about highway speeds, completely different topic.

I know that I am located in Edmonton, and having lived in Calgary, the driving demographics are quite different, but still curious.

Sugarphreak
08-23-2016, 10:07 AM

JfuckinC
08-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Been working pretty hard the past few years to show up on someone else's dashcam in the dashcam thread... no luck so far.. so >10km/h over and like a d bag...

Swank
08-23-2016, 10:11 AM
I usually go with ~10% over, except in playground and construction zones, I don't dick around in those cash cows, the limit there is my limit.

nzwasp
08-23-2016, 10:12 AM
About 10km over unless some asshole is driving right up my ass then I drive at speed limit.

I notice that in edmonton the general population does not drive very fast and are terrible at lane changing.

cet
08-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Swank
I usually go with ~10% over, except in playground and construction zones, I don't dick around in those cash cows, the limit there is my limit.

x2

killramos
08-23-2016, 10:16 AM
5-10 over camp as well for general city driving, I follow 30 and construction zones to a tee though due to their disproportionate targeting for photo radar enforcement and near 0 tolerance for exceeding posted. Generally speaking this doesn't even put me above the general flow of traffic, I think most drivers are in this camp.

Never been pulled over either.

klumsy_tumbler
08-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by killramos
5-10 over camp as well for general city driving, I follow 30 and construction zones to a tee though due to their disproportionate targeting for photo radar enforcement and near 0 tolerance for exceeding posted. Generally speaking this doesn't even put me above the general flow of traffic, I think most drivers are in this camp.

Never been pulled over either.

x2

rage2
08-23-2016, 10:24 AM
It depends on the road. I mean realistically, on Crowchild if you're doing 90 in a 80 zone, you're a bit of a hazard because everyone is cruising at 100.

I drive with the flow of traffic.

schocker
08-23-2016, 10:26 AM
I do more of a 10 over but percentage based at 80+
30 - 30
50 - 60 if clear otherwise 50
60 - 70-75 (Shaganappi/Beddington/Symons Valley)
80 - 90-100 (Crowchild for example)
100 - 110-120 Stoney
110 - 120-130 Highway
Depends on traffic obviously as I don't want to be blasting by people or by speeding by myself.

J-hop
08-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Guys this is clearly a trap.

That being said, generally just with traffic within the city so as not to stand out. So I'd guess probably 10% or so over? I definitely follow playground zones regardless of traffic speed though.

I try to follow construction zones fully but I'm getting pretty pissed off at poor signage. Anyone else find about 50% of the time they don't mark the end of the construction zone so you are left to guess where you can return to the normal speed for that road?

mzdspd
08-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I drive with the flow of traffic.

X2

But in Edmonton that is typically 10 over the limit..

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2016, 10:38 AM
In Calgary you have little choice but to go with the flow of traffic unless you want to be an obstruction, which means I'm almost always going 10-20 over everywhere except neighborhoods/playground zones. In construction areas where there are no workers and hilarious start/end sign placement done specifically for ticket revenue, I will speed up once I scan ahead for the super obvious photo radar Explorer's and F150's. A lot of automated speed traps are set to 11 Km/h over.

mrsingh
08-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by schocker
30 - 30
100 - 110-120 Stoney
110 - 120-130 Highway
Depends on traffic obviously as I don't want to be blasting by people or by speeding by myself.

This is exactly how I drive on most roads. I stick to the right lane, I only really use the left to pass then move back over, or to get ready for an upcoming left turn. I also drive slowly on pure residential streets, don't want to have to risk not being able to stop if I have to with pedestrians around.

The thing that drives me nuts in Calgary (and Edmonton actually), is the number of people who drive side by side in both lanes, completely oblivious to the traffic they are blocking behind them. If you are going 5 over and I'm coming up behind you going 5-15 over, change lanes. It is nothing personal, I am going to move over to the right after I've passed, and I do the same for anyone I see coming up faster behind me too.

Kloubek
08-23-2016, 10:59 AM
I tend to go with the flow as well. I feel more comfortable that I'm not going to get pulled over if there is someone both in front and behind going the same speed.

The fact is that I tend to drive sporty cars which handle well (as many of us do), and consider myself a better than average driver. I feel the speed limit applies to the lowest common denominator, and that's what I use to justify speeding as I see reasonably fit.

Now, this isn't to say that I ever feel I am entitled to drive dangerously. Going way over the limit is increasing risk unnecessarily regardless of the variables involved, and clearly makes you a bigger target to the cops, so you're always taking a risk.

In residential areas, I feel the 50k/h limit is reasonable. In fact, in some tight residential areas I feel it is too high, and should generally only be applicable to boulevards. Downtown, I feel the people everywhere and attention to detail generally dictates I drive slower than the limit when going north-south, but generally drive around the limit west-east on the longer stretches.

On Stoney (my daily commute), I'll generally drive anywhere from 110-125, sometimes getting up to 130-140 here and there. Honestly, I feel that as long as traffic is light I could probably drive 150 safely in most areas, but know it would draw undue attention to myself and I don't desire to pay to play.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by schocker
30 - 30
100 - 110-120 Stoney
110 - 120-130 Highway

Yeah that's generally how I drive. I generally drive slower (40) in residential areas if the road is super tight and lined with cars - had a few kids suddenly appear from behind cars in my neighborhood so I'm wary.

Aleks
08-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Whatever I feel comfortable and safe at. Sometimes it may be 10 under, sometimes it's 30+ over.

schocker
08-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Yeah that's generally how I drive. I generally drive slower (40) in residential areas if the road is super tight and lined with cars - had a few kids suddenly appear from behind cars in my neighborhood so I'm wary.
That is true. Older neighborhoods or newer ones where no one builds a garage and you have maybe 1.5 car widths at most, I always do less than 50.

nzwasp
08-23-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by J-hop
Guys this is clearly a trap.

That being said, generally just with traffic within the city so as not to stand out. So I'd guess probably 10% or so over? I definitely follow playground zones regardless of traffic speed though.

I try to follow construction zones fully but I'm getting pretty pissed off at poor signage. Anyone else find about 50% of the time they don't mark the end of the construction zone so you are left to guess where you can return to the normal speed for that road?

Or its way up the road not near the construction i.e sarcee tr / 16th ave construction

benyl
08-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I know that I am located in Edmonton, and having lived in Calgary, the driving demographics are quite different, but still curious.

I was in the Capital on the weekend. Holy fuck was I frustrated. People were driving like there was a speed trap at every intersection.

There was no flow of traffic.

bjstare
08-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

Or its way up the road not near the construction i.e sarcee tr / 16th ave construction

Last week a couple cops had a radar trap set up at the verrry end of this construction, those dicks.

CompletelyNumb
08-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Speed limit the whole way. The road rage I incite is hilarious, but fck them.

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2016, 12:22 PM
As fast as it takes to get me where I need to be when I want to be there.

NoPulp
08-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Depends which vehicle, I typically drive a bit slower in the Mustang :rofl:

It also depends on the street, some areas in Lethbridge aren't posted well. Typically I go the limit though or whatever the traffic is flowing at.

On the highway, +10%

mzdspd
08-23-2016, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I was in the Capital on the weekend. Holy fuck was I frustrated. People were driving like there was a speed trap at every intersection.

There was no flow of traffic.

That's because there is a speed trap at practically every intersection..

On the henday they sit on the overpasses (7+ and you get a ticket). They sit on hills where you speed if you gliding (5+ and you get a ticket). They also just implemented a box type system where they have PR boxes set up on the side of the road and a operator sits in his truck in eyes view and manages the tickets. This city just sets such low limits that it is impossible not to speed and the PR operators are set up waiting for you.

It has gotten out of hand, now we have people in Edmonton that park and have signs that say "PR ahead" to warn drivers.. Well now the EPS ticket these people for "pedestrian stunting". I believe that more and more people are getting sick of PR in Edmonton (separate topic on its own). They are actually have a protest this coming weekend over it because the city continually says that it is for safety, yet they hide the PR trucks.

HiTempguy1
08-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
As fast as it takes to get me where I need to be when I want to be there.

That doesn't mean much, where exactly would you need to get to at anytime in Saskatchewan?

:rofl:

This response from you also doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

benyl
08-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd

That's because there is a speed trap at practically every intersection..

On the henday they sit on the overpasses (7+ and you get a ticket). They sit on hills where you speed if you gliding (5+ and you get a ticket). They also just implemented a box type system where they have PR boxes set up on the side of the road and a operator sits in his truck in eyes view and manages the tickets. This city just sets such low limits that it is impossible not to speed and the PR operators are set up waiting for you.

It has gotten out of hand, now we have people in Edmonton that park and have signs that say "PR ahead" to warn drivers.. Well now the EPS ticket these people for "pedestrian stunting". I believe that more and more people are getting sick of PR in Edmonton (separate topic on its own). They are actually have a protest this coming weekend over it because the city continually says that it is for safety, yet they hide the PR trucks.

Haha, I wonder how many tickets I have coming...

About 100 kms north or Red Deer, I saw a flash from the bridge. I figured it was just a reflection of the window. Then I saw a flash again. Sneaky bastards.

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2016, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

That doesn't mean much, where exactly would you need to get to at anytime in Saskatchewan?

This response from you also doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Point is I'm all over the map, depending on my schedule.

If I'm not in a rush, like to get to the office, I'll go the speed limit. If I'm late for something important, like picking up my third cousin for a hoe-down or barn dance, I'll go double the limit if I need to. Wouldn't want her to dry up before I git thurr. So obviously I speed more often than not.

HiTempguy1
08-23-2016, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Point is I'm all over the map, depending on my schedule.

If I'm not in a rush, like to get to the office, I'll go the speed limit. If I'm late for something important, like picking up my third cousin for a hoe-down or barn dance, I'll go double the limit if I need to. Wouldn't want her to dry up before I git thurr. So obviously I speed more often than not.

:bigpimp: