PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha FZ09 or Z800

Skrilla
08-23-2016, 04:02 PM
Looking to see if anyone has either of these bikes. Going to buy a new naked bike this month. If really stuck. I know the fz09 has more torque and rev happy, but I love the looks of the z800 and available abs.

Would be mostly a city commuter with the odd road trip. I love the price point under $8700 OTD. Z800 has been a solid seller in europe, fz09 is getting great praise here but some guys say the power is unusable in day to day riding.

Thoughts? Anything else to look at?

Disoblige
08-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Are you set on the style of the FZ-09? Yamaha has been killing it lately.
I like the XSR900, but really wish it came in a nicer paint color.
The round gauges, and style of it all are very nice. FZ-09 in comparison looks like it's more cheaply made.

Mista Bob
08-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Strange that people would say that about the FZ09, I would have figured the triple would be perfect for daily riding since it should offer extra torque where you need it.

Have you considered the Triumph Street Triple? Think it is a bit more pricey than the FZ09 and has slightly less HP and torque. But ABS is available as an option, if that's something you really want as a feature.

Mibz
08-23-2016, 04:43 PM
some guys say the power is unusable in day to day riding. If this is a serious concern for you then I'm not sure why you're looking at top-tier sport tourers instead of an FZ07, Ninja 650 or whatever Honda's 700 is. You know your riding better than anybody here, you're the only one who's gonna know whether you'll use the bike in its entirety.

Skrilla
08-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Some reviews just said A mode is pointless unless you want to hoon around. I'm probably overthinking it lol. I have ridden but just short ride . And no dealer here has any.

Skrilla
08-23-2016, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
If this is a serious concern for you then I'm not sure why you're looking at top-tier sport tourers instead of an FZ07, Ninja 650 or whatever Honda's 700 is. You know your riding better than anybody here, you're the only one who's gonna know whether you'll use the bike in its entirety.

Nowhere near top tier either of them. I just don't want another R1 or my zx14 that can't get out of first gear. I heard they fixed the fueling issue so maybe they are better now as this review was 2014 model. Fz 07 I rode wasn't a fan of the position of the pegs or seating as I'm taller. Gonna check out the xsr that looks great.

Mibz
08-23-2016, 05:31 PM
top-tier sport tourers My bad, I forgot the Z1000 and FZ-10 existed. Doesn't change my point.
Originally posted by Skrilla
Some reviews just said A mode is pointless unless you want to hoon around. If you're gonna slap on a high-vis vest then buy a Boulevard and be done with it.

Also, if the FZ09 and Z800 are the only sport tourers you fit comfortably on then who cares how much power they make?

It really sounds like you're overcomplicating the hell out of this purchase.

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-24-2016, 06:53 AM
I never use A-mode, just because of how twitchy it is. But it's not more powerful than standard mode, just more aggressive throttle mapping. All the HP and TQ are there, you just don't endo when you let off the throttle.

Hell, in residential and the rain/cold I use B-mode because it's more like my 600, especially on decel. I really should get an ECU flash, but I'm a cheap lazy cunt.

Rocket1k78
08-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Mibz

Also, if the FZ09 and Z800 are the only sport tourers you fit comfortably on then who cares how much power they make?

It really sounds like you're overcomplicating the hell out of this purchase.

:rofl: :rofl:

My vote goes to yamaha though. Yamaha has never let me down and they killed it with the new line up. Also being able to stay in 1st for the most part is a bonus imo, you're constantly shifting on a 600 it seems. The big bikes also sound better:D

Mibz
08-24-2016, 01:53 PM
I dunno why I was so bitchy yesterday. Sorry, bud.

Rocket1k78
08-24-2016, 04:16 PM
First thing that came to mind

Skrilla
08-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Bought the FZ09 leftover 15 model