PDA

View Full Version : Red Volvo Wagon on Bags

flipstah
08-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Anyone know this owner? Local AB car, so someone may know who this person is.

Have questions about universal bags and how he/she made it work.

J-hop
08-29-2016, 03:45 PM
I think that car is in Edmonton. I'll see if I can find a contact.

Probably a turbobricks.com user so also try searching on that site.

Edit:

Looks like he was recently active on tbricks:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=214733&page=15

klumsy_tumbler
08-29-2016, 03:53 PM
You could say that I know who built this car, but not the current owner... what do you want to know about it, specifically?

He really doesn't keep up-to-date on turbobricks anymore, so you wont have too much luck there :P

90_Shelby
08-29-2016, 04:07 PM
I have nothing to contribute but I like it. :thumbsup:

flipstah
08-29-2016, 04:15 PM
Just how he got the bag on coil setup to happen. There's no bolt-on kit, so it's a custom job for sure. Just want to see pics of the welded setup, if possible or instructions from his lessons learned.

I won't do the York compressor but going electronic air compressor so it doesn't kill the engine HP by adding another pulley in the system.

03ozwhip
08-29-2016, 04:28 PM
universal systems have weld over axles brackets and you bolt the rear to the floor pan (for the most part.) then there are cup brackets for the front coil replacement.

more thank likely that's how he did it, if there are no bolt on systems for the brick.

klumsy_tumbler
08-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Just how he got the bag on coil setup to happen. There's no bolt-on kit, so it's a custom job for sure. Just want to see pics of the welded setup, if possible or instructions from his lessons learned.

I won't do the York compressor but going electronic air compressor so it doesn't kill the engine HP by adding another pulley in the system.

Most of the information should be in the build thread that J-hop found. He was pretty good about photo-documentation, so if you dedicate some time to sifting through all 15 pages, you should be able to get the info you're after.

All relevant paperwork and whatnot went with the car when it was sold, so if it's not in the thread and the current owner doesn't have it, then you're kinda out of luck on that front.

Also, he says that there are no coils, so not sure where you got that from... :dunno:

I have no idea where all of the attention on the Lolvo is coming from all of a sudden, but it's hilarious how much it's been popping up the last couple of months :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

flipstah
08-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
universal systems have weld over axles brackets and you bolt the rear to the floor pan (for the most part.) then there are cup brackets for the front coil replacement.

more thank likely that's how he did it, if there are no bolt on systems for the brick.

HcYZU7bTgQg

So here's a video of the installation for coilovers. Pretty straightforward, but like you said, just looking to see how the welding was done to fit the bags on top of the strut.

That means I have cut up a strut to have a foundation, but where to cut... Where to weld... Do I need to make a cup for the bag?....

One picture of the welded job will answer a lot of my questions.

Lots of winter research to be done.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/attractive-young-adult-man-winter-clothes-reading-book-christmas-scene-natural-looking-teenage-male-outdoors-holding-33661411.jpg

klumsy_tumbler
08-29-2016, 04:38 PM
See my post, above ^

03ozwhip
08-29-2016, 04:58 PM
it's been a while since I've dealt with a universal kit, but with mine, it was made to fit the perch, it just sits in there. now, you could tack it in place, or leave it sit to move around, or do like I did and throw a small stopper in the perch.

there are positives and negatives to all of the options, but if I were to do it again, I would probably just throw 4 tacks on each perch.

it was a trial and error process for me and it will be for you too. don't overthink it, it's all pretty easy.

flipstah
08-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler

Most of the information should be in the build thread that J-hop found. He was pretty good about photo-documentation, so if you dedicate some time to sifting through all 15 pages, you should be able to get the info you're after.

All relevant paperwork and whatnot went with the car when it was sold, so if it's not in the thread and the current owner doesn't have it, then you're kinda out of luck on that front.

Also, he says that there are no coils, so not sure where you got that from... :dunno:

I have no idea where all of the attention on the Lolvo is coming from all of a sudden, but it's hilarious how much it's been popping up the last couple of months :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sweet, I'll take a look at that Turbobricks thread and go from there. It's just assembling the bags is my main hurdle. Everything else is peachy because it'll be similar to how I did the Golf R.

I learnt the term 'bag on coils' or bag on coilover when describing the suspension assembly from my VW days.

I think that wagon rules lol. Somehow, I'll make mine half as cool. Cross fingers.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
it's been a while since I've dealt with a universal kit, but with mine, it was made to fit the perch, it just sits in there. now, you could tack it in place, or leave it sit to move around, or do like I did and throw a small stopper in the perch.

there are positives and negatives to all of the options, but if I were to do it again, I would probably just throw 4 tacks on each perch.

it was a trial and error process for me and it will be for you too. don't overthink it, it's all pretty easy.

So that it doesn't spin or move? I might be overanalyzing it, but once I see pics it should be smooth sailing.

Beyond has so much power. It's awesome. :thumbsup:

eglove
08-29-2016, 06:46 PM
No welding, just get these. Place universal bag over top

https://www.bagriders.com/suspension/universal-brackets/aero-sport-threaded-coilover-brackets.html

03ozwhip
08-29-2016, 07:06 PM

Sweet, I'll take a look at that Turbobricks thread and go from there. It's just assembling the bags is my main hurdle. Everything else is peachy because it'll be similar to how I did the Golf R.

I learnt the term 'bag on coils' or bag on coilover when describing the suspension assembly from my VW days.

I think that wagon rules lol. Somehow, I'll make mine half as cool. Cross fingers.

So that it doesn't spin or move? I might be overanalyzing it, but once I see pics it should be smooth sailing.

Beyond has so much power. It's awesome. :thumbsup:
Ya man, you don't realize how much the cup might move when you air up and out, it's how I blew one of my bags, I fixed it after I realized what was happening.

I don't know anything about doing this car, but if you need a hand just let me know, I'll try and help out.

spiff-d
08-29-2016, 09:10 PM
If Carter is anything like myself, he's probably at the point where he's wishing people would just leave him alone about Lolvo Baggins.

Cody D
08-29-2016, 10:26 PM
nm.

R154
08-30-2016, 08:17 AM
Flipstah aint getting no love on the Swedish forum. :(

We love you Flip.

You may bump whatever thread you want, you majestic beast.

flipstah
08-30-2016, 08:52 AM
They don't like it when I bump threads from the grave. :(

J-hop
08-30-2016, 10:24 AM
They don't like it when I bump threads from the grave. :(

What the hell... That thread is less than 2 months old!

The biggest thing people complain about when I used to be on there was people not taking the time to search.

You should be ashamed for researching, you should post a new thread for every little question.

Carter240
08-31-2016, 12:30 PM
Ahem... *steps up to the mic*

What exactly do you need to know? On Volvos the strut and spindle are all one piece, this makes it difficult. It's extremely difficult to weld mild steel to cast iron. However I found a guy that has done this before and I was comfortable letting him do the welding on that portion. As for the top, DO NOT let the cup just sit in the spring perch which is what someone in here was trying to explain (I think). The top has a bearing plate like the old strut that you drill out and press in the supplied hardware. The top plate now bolts where your old strut used to. If your struts are designed like these then you'll have to sacrifice a set, or find a blown set on the used market.

I have no experience with bag over coils. This was bag only, your spring rate is set by the amount of pressure in the bag. With my car the ideal ride height and comfort setting was around 40ish psi. These of course had built in shocks that you can adjust for harder or softer ride quality as well. It takes a lot of tinkering.

Also side note, this IS ABSOLUTELY not a weekend job.

*edit* I should mention I built this car.

flipstah
08-31-2016, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Carter240

What exactly do you need to know? On Volvos the strut and spindle are all one piece, this makes it difficult. It's extremely difficult to weld mild steel to cast iron. However I found a guy that has done this before and I was comfortable letting him do the welding on that portion. As for the top, DO NOT let the cup just sit in the spring perch which is what someone in here was trying to explain (I think). The top has a bearing plate like the old strut that you drill out and press in the supplied hardware. The top plate now bolts where your old strut used to. If your struts are designed like these then you'll have to sacrifice a set, or find a blown set on the used market.

I have no experience with bag over coils. This was bag only, your spring rate is set by the amount of pressure in the bag. With my car the ideal ride height and comfort setting was around 40ish psi. These of course had built in shocks that you can adjust for harder or softer ride quality as well. It takes a lot of tinkering.

Holy shit, it's like getting greeted by a rock star. :clap:

Yeah, ideal ride pressure is 40-50psi. High 50s and you hear the suspension because there's so much pressure and the ride gets slightly harsh.

I also saw which part you used for the Air Lift struts, so I'll have to pull out my struts and measure to see if the travel fits. Was it a lot of trial and error? Don't want to gut up my suspension too hard so want to do this right. Been reading your TB thread, to the point that I got heckled for bumping it from the awesome grave it lied in.

Definitely not a weekend job. My Golf R interior work for management and tank took three days with one full day dedicated on planning the placement and where to drill holes.

The bags themselves are what scares me, because it's not bolt-on but I also found a StanceWorks article that gave me more confidence about this project.

http://www.stanceworks.com/2012/07/how-to-bagging-a-bmw-with-the-air-lift-universal-crafter-pack/

How did the mechanical compressor work out? Any regrets? I have a spare York from my Land Rover project and I could use this instead of an electronic one.

Carter240
08-31-2016, 02:06 PM
The York is the best hands down. Likely won't fit in a golf or mini though. They'll pump at 12-14cfm at idle all day long and they're silent. However you have to check the oil on it and they get warm. It filled my 8 gal tank in 1min flat from empty to 200psi.

flipstah
08-31-2016, 02:27 PM
The York is the best hands down. Likely won't fit in a golf or mini though. They'll pump at 12-14cfm at idle all day long and they're silent. However you have to check the oil on it and they get warm. It filled my 8 gal tank in 1min flat from empty to 200psi.

Holy crap, that's fast. Well, this will be mounted on my 940 Turbo wagon so if I can't find a spot to cram the York in, I'll just put an Air Zenith compressor and call it a day.

Thanks for the insight!

03ozwhip
08-31-2016, 03:58 PM

It sounds definitely a bit different than how I set mine up, mind you it was a Chevy not a Volvo. sounds like you know your bag setups, I love an old brick sitting on the floor.

bourge73
10-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Update on the Bagged Volvo ....Poor Bastard
http://calgary.craigslist.ca/cto/5830792463.html

eglove
10-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Oh man, if I had a garage...

flipstah
10-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Oh fuck, that explains why he hasn't been responding to my txts ('new' owner). :cry:

NoPulp
10-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Shitty situation, but good deal. Someone should go pick it up, I would but I already have 3 vehicles. The 302 issue will be easy. The air suspensions will take a bit of figuring out.

Off topic, who the hell uses craigslist in Alberta :rofl:

klumsy_tumbler
10-19-2016, 03:11 PM
This dude sounds like a complete moron...

"Immediately after buying it, it overheated on ANthony Henday in edmonton warping and blowing a head gasket. Like an idiot I didnt tow it to calgary and probably did more damage than good to the motor."

It's very frustrating to see a PROJECT CAR that was neglected like this thing was. It had so much potential, but it basically just degenerated after each new owner :(

Can attest though, the parts in it are :thumbsup:

Rocket1k78
10-19-2016, 06:02 PM
$1125 a mile:rofl:

J-hop
10-20-2016, 09:29 AM
Sounds like the guy doesn't turn wrenches much? Not bashing the car or the builder as I'm a huge Volvo fan but giving this guy a major benefit of the doubt you would never spend $7500 on a 240 with a "hack job" bag setup unless you had no clue what you were looking at.

My guess is he realizes he bought a car he wasn't capable or knowledgeable enough to own and is trying to place blame. Hate seeing someone do that and then trash the person who built it....

klumsy_tumbler
10-20-2016, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
Sounds like the guy doesn't turn wrenches much? Not bashing the car or the builder as I'm a huge Volvo fan but giving this guy a major benefit of the doubt you would never spend $7500 on a 240 with a "hack job" bag setup unless you had no clue what you were looking at.

My guess is he realizes he bought a car he wasn't capable or knowledgeable enough to own and is trying to place blame. Hate seeing someone do that and then trash the person who built it....

The air-ride was definitely NOT a "hack job". The pictures showing the tears in the bags are... weird.

I think that pretty much every owner after my bf parted with the car ended up being in over their heads. It was a super cool car and an awesome project, but you really had to know what you were doing... (obviously I'm a little biased here)

I also found it kind of funny that he mentions having driven it four times, but it overheated on the first leg of his FIRST drive. Finishing the trip to Calgary after overheating is bad enough, but shrugging your shoulders and bagging on it three more times after that? WTF? :banghead:

flipstah
10-20-2016, 04:21 PM
I tried buying parts, but looks like it's conditionally sold.