PDA

View Full Version : Drywall guys, chime in on estimate

jabjab
08-30-2016, 08:41 AM
I think I've figured out why my water bills have been pretty high, I had a very slow leak coming from the toilet line upstairs.

It caused water to pool on downstairs washroom ceiling and causing water marks. I cut out the spot affected and called in a plumber to fix the issue.

I know have a washroom ceiling that needs to be dry walled and re textured. What would be a estimate on price to get this done? T

he ceiling is about 6x6 feet.

Kloubek
08-30-2016, 08:46 AM
The repair itself seems simple enough. It's blending in the texture that is going to be hit and miss, depending on how good the guy is.

So I really have no idea on an estimate, but my 2 cents is not to cheap out on the job or you will likely notice the repair after completion.

jabjab
08-30-2016, 09:03 AM
My thought is to just replace the whole ceiling since its so small to avoid any color matching and any risk of mold.

total sqft of ceiling is only about 30 ft. at most

suntan
08-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Is the drywall still intact?

If so just re-texture.

I used these guys, they were the cheapest by far and did a great job:

http://textureking.ca/

jabjab
08-30-2016, 10:50 AM
nope, drywall is not intact. Had to rip it out in order to determine where the leak was coming from. Currently just a big hole in the ceiling letting everything dry out

revelations
08-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Best might be to get a sheet of 1/4" drywall and redo the whole ceiling over the popcorn.

This way you dont need popcorn. We did without it in the master bath. Popcorn is just a quicker way to hide the imperfections.

suntan
08-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Is it just in one section not near the edges of the walls? If so, just drywall the void, scrape off some of the popcorn near its edges, mud and tape and mud to a smooth surface. Then get a guy to retexture.

jabjab
08-30-2016, 11:20 AM
its pretty much in the center of the ceiling unfortunately

suntan
08-30-2016, 03:30 PM
No that's perfect then. Just square up the hole and patch it up.