PDA

View Full Version : Have you done major repairs on your vehicle on the street?

speedog
09-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Someone changing out their SUV's transmission on the street - seriously? From a 311 report, looks sketchy as hell - I can safely say that I've never done even minor vehicle maintenance on the street aside from maybe topping up washer fluid, everything else in the garage.

http://spot311.calgary.ca/media/calgary/report/photos/57ccea405045f60a3dceb8f3/report.jpg

311 report (http://spot311.calgary.ca/reports/16-00873363) and it's not the SE or NE, astounding, eh.

dirtsniffer
09-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Ya that area is the new NE.

Crazy to see someone changed out a transmission on the street though.

J.M.
09-04-2016, 10:38 PM
:nut:

btimbit
09-04-2016, 10:43 PM
Lol, just letting the fluid go wherever, really? Yeesh.

corsvette
09-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Tried pulling a transmission out of my Chevy S10 when I was 16 in front of our house in Edgemont. Bad idea lol, oil everywhere and one pissed of Ned Flanders-type neighbour.

I don't do any repair/maintenance work outside of my garage.

legendboy
09-04-2016, 10:55 PM
usually garage or driveway work for sure

must be pretty desperate or really stupid

AndyL
09-04-2016, 11:20 PM
Did a fuel pump on a GM truck on the street once...

Other than the jackstands under rear axle you'd have never known I was doing anything. But yeah neighbours complained... I had awesome neighbours there...

Garage full, driveway wasn't long enough to accommodate crew cab long box truck - when I parked in driveway they complained I blocked the sidewalk... So it was no win no matter what. (But I also wasn't spilling shit everywhere).

I did re&re an engine in a Nissan Micra in a apartment parking lot once lol... That was pure desperate 90s vintage holy shit I blew the engine and I have to deliver pizza tonight... (PYP - engine from a wreck and prayed it ran - and thankfully it did for another 3-4 years)

BokCh0y
09-04-2016, 11:48 PM
That's extreme work...wow. Fluids all over the place....

Have never done work like that before on a street. Maybe swapped out a starter, and that cuz i couldn't start the car to move it into my garage, but that was it at most.

Is that Hawkwood?

J-hop
09-05-2016, 06:43 AM
311 says scenic acres.

That is really bad haha. Guess the guy has never heard of a drop sheet...

I don't really do anything on the street except for maybe wheel changes.

In my area though a lot of people don't have garages, so you have the option of the road or laying in the gravel in the back. So I could see people using the road.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-05-2016, 02:46 PM
I've pulled the rear axles out of my truck on the street before. Didn't spill any gear oil and made sure to clean up after myself.

Maxt
09-05-2016, 03:42 PM
When I was 21 I got a notice from my apartment manager that there was to be no arc welding on the patio, after I repaired by bush guard for my truck. I think they were happy to see me leave.
I used a 24 hour car wash bay a few times for major repairs in the dead of winter when I had no garage. Just use to go after midnight and prepared for the repair.

nzwasp
09-05-2016, 03:47 PM
The neighbors Filipino nanny's friend did this exact thing to a crv on the road in our part of the classy west. It was up on jacks for a good 2 weeks as well.

spikerS
09-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I have doing oil changes, changed power steering hoses, changed brakes, and other minor repairs / maintenance.

I have been forced to do that quite a bit after I moved out of my parents place as I never had a garage and didn't always have access to one.

Having said all that, I have never tried to do something as major as an engine / trans / axles in the street before.

codetrap
09-05-2016, 05:30 PM

btimbit
09-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I just gave a friend of mine shit for doing similar mechanical work on the street. Told him if I caught him spilling chemicals and crap again I was going to take a pic and let them deal with. When I pointed out that it was up to $1000 fine he changed his tune. His reason was he didn't want to stain his driveway. :nut:

He countered with me washing my vehicles, to which I said, sure, go ahead and call them, and we'll see how they react to me diverting the water onto the grass so it doesn't hit the storm drain.

lol. Didn't want to stain the driveway? Christ, if you can't get it into a drain pan just out a tarp down, it's not hard

bjstare
09-06-2016, 07:20 AM
I just gave a friend of mine shit for doing similar mechanical work on the street. Told him if I caught him spilling chemicals and crap again I was going to take a pic and let them deal with. When I pointed out that it was up to $1000 fine he changed his tune. His reason was he didn't want to stain his driveway. :nut:

He countered with me washing my vehicles, to which I said, sure, go ahead and call them, and we'll see how they react to me diverting the water onto the grass so it doesn't hit the storm drain.

You seriously threatened to rat out a "friend"? Glad I don't have friends like you.

Id certainly tell my friend doing work on the street that he's a dumb ass for doing so, and should not be spilling fluids, and he could get fined. I wouldn't threaten to call him in though, that's a dick move to threaten a friend with that. Mind you, I also don't make friends with people stupid enough to do work like this, and make a mess on the street.

gogreen
09-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
When I was 21 I got a notice from my apartment manager that there was to be no arc welding on the patio, after I repaired by bush guard for my truck. I think they were happy to see me leave.

One interpretation of that notice is that using a gas torch to do your welding would have been perfectly acceptable. ;)

msommers
09-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Pulling a tranny out of a Lexus SUV on the street.

Budget Baller to a whole new level!

Disoblige
09-06-2016, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Pulling a tranny out of a Lexus SUV on the street.

Budget Baller to a whole new level!
Let's be honest here. That guy bought the car not running for $1000 and now he's trying to fix it :rofl:

TomcoPDR
09-06-2016, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Let's be honest here. That guy bought the car not running for $1000 and now he's trying to fix it :rofl:

Most likely with a heloc too

mr2mike
09-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Haha!

I did an alternator change for a beyonder outside his house on the street. I thought that was as major as you want to get on a city street.

Would never consider a tranny or torque converter change though.
Beauty!

I dare you to pull some key bolts and then walk by on Sunday after hours of him looking and say you found your kid playing with these, are they yours? haha.

Xtrema
09-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Question is, what can the city do about it without the car's plates?

ShermanEF9
09-06-2016, 07:36 PM
did a control arm in the middle of a friends street in winter. that sucked.

Redlyne_mr2
09-06-2016, 07:54 PM
awesome! We did a headgasket once on the street, miss those days!

codetrap
09-06-2016, 10:38 PM

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-07-2016, 06:50 AM
In retrospect, it was so obvious, I told my assembled band of freaks, liberal-art students and greasy-fingered flat-rate burnouts. If you wanted respect, if you craved power, you had to organize.

When I first arrived at this condo building, I noticed a tension that I had never before experienced. Neighbors would eye me suspiciously as I refilled the washer fluid on my daily driver, take curious note when I would carry my junkyard toolbag, put passive-aggressive notes on my Hornet’s windshield about how working on cars in the spacious and well-lit underground parkade was verboten. We must secure the cleanliness of our building and a future for property values, they told me, while issuing fines.

I embarked upon a quest to get to the centre of what abomination could assess such rules against a man’s personal freedom. Before long, I could lay eyes upon it: the condo board. Staffed entirely by retirement-age busybodies, it met during the weekday, when normal adults and myself were at their day jobs, and passed new laws by fiat. But like any other machine, it could be taken apart and changed into a form that would terrify high society. I just had to find the right wrench.

Leafing through my rolodex, I began to recruit new neighbors, seemingly ordinary smiling-faced adults who were very concerned about separating recycling into the proper bins, inspecting the quality of the lawn sprinkler arrangement, and always worried about property value. Once they had been accepted by the community, they slipped unchallenged into the condo board, taking up positions nobody else wanted. At first, they were harmless jobs - treasurer, stenographer, accountant. People who were committed to civic-mindedness and would keep a dumpster fire like myself away from the big red button.

Then came the election. My crew swept me into office and the old order out in one swift movement propelled by a mixture of tenant apathy and populist rage. In my victory speech, I enacted the first of many reforms: parking lot engine swaps were now mandatory and the completion of such would be verified every month. The condo board’s assets swelled as we took advantage of long-dormant municipal code to seize the homes of those who opposed this new law. I will always treasure the angry looks that the former condo board shot me on eviction days.

It only took a few weeks for the word to get out. What used to be rows of overstuffed compact-car spots prolapsing with luxury crossovers slowly altered into a more pleasing form before my eye. The tarmac of the parkade dimpled with the force of brakestand torque, scarred with burned rubber, oil stains and rust flakes everywhere the eye could see. It was beautiful.

But there was still more to be done, I told my charges, and the next slide displayed the current city council makeup. It seemed our councillor was hard-up for re-election funds and had never faced a real opponent before. I didn’t particularly enjoy his zealousness for street parking enforcement, either.

bjstare
09-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Rat out a friend that's doing dumb shit, breaking the law, and polluting the environment? Fuck yeah. He's normally a smart guy, but he was being deliberately stupid. I tuned him up on the topic.

So tell me, taking this "not ratting" concept. How far does it go with you? Where do you draw the line before some one does something that you're willing to take action to stop it? Vandalism? Environmental Damage? Theft? Assault? Rape? Murder? I realize I'm drawing it out to stupid extremes but if you're going to be a stand up guy, then you have to stand up for what's right. What he was doing was wrong. I couldn't care less if he was doing work in the street, but working with, and spilling, toxic chemicals and not caring because it wasn't his property was wrong.

This may sound have overly harsh, but it's not meant to. I'm just trying to illustrate a point. I'm glad he realized he was being dumb, and won't do it anymore.

Yeah, I definitely get your point, and I don't disagree with it at all.

I guess it just comes down to the individual. I can honestly say that I'm not friends with anyone that would do work and spill fluids on the road, let alone ignore me when I told them it was a stupid (and illegal) thing to do. :dunno: