PDA

View Full Version : QNAP TS-231 Nas making noise...help plz

Hero_X
09-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Hi guys,

I have a QNAP TS-231 NAS which I bought few months ago, and I've installed 2 HGST NAS hard-drives in it.

What I've noticed is that the NAS seems to be making some noise, and when it does, the two HDD lights blink multiple times. This happens almost every minute and I'm not sure what's going on.

No one on the network is even using the NAS and still it's making this noise, as well as the LAN light is blinking...

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MJfEUVzTFY

Plz help me as I'm not familiar with QNAP nas (or multiple storage nas units in general).

revelations
09-05-2016, 03:51 PM
DId you setup the system to run with various apps to run in the background? IS the power saving mode set to aggressive? So many reasons why it could be active.

Hero_X
09-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I don't have any apps or anything that I use. My use of this NAS are pretty simple: one for media playing, and second for storing some private documents.

The only thing I've set up on it is a private folder with a password, and a public folder with out password (for media/plex to access).

There is no power saving mode enabled or schedule or anything.

I've kept everything mostly stock since I don't really know (or care to) use the apps.

:confused:

ZMan2k2
09-06-2016, 08:41 AM
How new/old are the HDD's? Sounds like one is dying, and you're NAS is trying to back up everything before it dies.

revelations
09-06-2016, 11:59 AM
^ that should be the next step - check SMART and RAID system status :dunno:

Hero_X
09-08-2016, 01:07 AM
Okay so I did a test on each drive using the QNAP storage manager, as well I did a scan for bad sectors on both drives. Everything checks out and is in "good" status.

:dunno:

I'm not sure what else I can check or do. The nas is located in a place where the repeated noise is pretty annoying.

Hero_X
09-19-2016, 11:36 PM
UPDATE:

I checked the resource monitor and status and it doesn't show anything being used right now. And yet, the drive s are still doing that noise.

If anything, it shows that they're not being used right now (which they arent) butt, the repetitive noise still happens.

I'm at a loss :banghead: