PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas line hookup

Asian_defender
09-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Any beyonders here do natural gas lines or know of anyone?
Buddy and I are looking at getting natural gas lines to our decks so we can get some new badass bbqs

Thanks in advance beyond

revelations
09-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Make that two, just looking for a ball park figure (400$ or 900$?).

Gas meter is about 10ft from BBQ location.

cet
09-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Make that 3. I'm looking for someone to run one to my garage.

Thaco
09-06-2016, 03:30 PM
call a plumbing place, a lot of them will give you a quote, the biggest PITA is usually that gas lines are all threaded together so often times they have to unthread the whole works just to tap off the meter so its usually easier to run new piping in to your furnace room and tap off at that end, makes a loop back, but its easier than completely dissembling and reassmbling

Asian_defender
09-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Ok so that makes 4 in total
Looks like if we find someone, might be able to work out a group buy at this rate

ExtraSlow
09-06-2016, 04:32 PM
If you happen to have a partial-rough-in, it's not hard to do the completion yourself. I had to install a shut-off and extension on one for a relative, and it was pretty easy. I did find that Lowes had a much better selection of gas-rated valves than Rona.

No, I'm not suggesting that I should do your installations. I'm not qualified.

suntan
09-06-2016, 04:47 PM
You're not allowed to run your own gas line as a homeowner.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Permits/Building-permits/Plumbing-Gas-Permits.aspx

ExtraSlow
09-07-2016, 10:11 AM
Good tip.

mr2mike
09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
I was always under the impression you could run your own gas line but the final hook up had to be the plumber.
That being said, I think you'd need to have all your connections exposed for the gas fitter to inspect.
Also, there's a lot of idiots out there so I see how this could be a trainwreck.

ExtraSlow: You could sub contract off SpikerS.

interlude
09-07-2016, 11:00 AM
I have used G.I. Joe Plumbing and Heating and was very happy with their pricing and service.

They installed my detached garage heater, and added a bbq hookup on my deck.

They also ran a gas line for my brother to his deck as well.

Seth1968
09-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by suntan
You're not allowed to run your own gas line as a homeowner.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/Permits/Building-permits/Plumbing-Gas-Permits.aspx

I mentioned this in a similar thread a few months ago.

If it leaks and causes harm to another, or blows up your house, then you're on your own with the life changing repercussions.

C_Dave45
09-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

I mentioned this in a similar thread a few months ago.

If it leaks and causes harm to another, or blows up your house, then you're on your own with the life changing repercussions.
Hope I can manage to make this post without being a tool....
That other thread was a completely different scenario. OP wasn't changing, altering, or adding to the gas line. He was merely trying to figure out how to make the Quick Connect line from his barbecue to the already in place, and inspected, existing gas line.
Any time work needs to be done to the house's gas line, altering or adding, you need a licenser gas fitter.
Source: my plumber and licensed gas fitter.

HomespunLobster
09-07-2016, 12:32 PM
Question, could I run my gas line and have it capped in the garage? I want to get it all set up for a heater when I can afford the heater, I just want to dig the trench before it freezes

klumsy_tumbler
09-07-2016, 12:40 PM
Make that 5... we're looking to get heat into the garage.

Seth1968
09-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Hope I can manage to make this post without being a tool....
That other thread was a completely different scenario. OP wasn't changing, altering, or adding to the gas line. He was merely trying to figure out how to make the Quick Connect line from his barbecue to the already in place, and inspected, existing gas line.
Any time work needs to be done to the house's gas line, altering or adding, you need a licenser gas fitter.
Source: my plumber and licensed gas fitter.

Uh huh.

It's not a completely different scenario. It's a gas line. PERIOD.

C_Dave45
09-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Well since you obviously know more than licensed gas fitters maybe you can school them on how they don't know what they're talking about. Better yet phone CoC and tell them "what's what". :rolleyes:

You don't need a licensed gas fitter to hook up your bbq to the natural gas coupling at your house. PERIOD.

Asian_defender
09-07-2016, 01:27 PM
Ok guys, I called GI Joe heating (http://www.gijoeheating.com/index.html)
It's 300 to start (permits and etc) then its $10/linear foot

If you tell him Ben sent you from Beyond then its 250 to start.

If anyone get anything cheaper then please post. This seems like a pretty good deal to me

revelations
09-07-2016, 01:34 PM
^ Thanks for the info. Will definitely consider at that price.

suntan
09-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Well since you obviously know more than licensed gas fitters maybe you can school them on how they don't know what they're talking about. Better yet phone CoC and tell them "what's what". :rolleyes:

You don't need a licensed gas fitter to hook up your bbq to the natural gas coupling at your house. PERIOD. He calls a gas fitter every time he refills a propane tank and reattaches it.

Seth1968
09-07-2016, 03:43 PM

You don't need a licensed gas fitter to hook up your bbq to the natural gas coupling at your house. PERIOD.

You want more PERIOD?

Tell your rational to your house insurance company when your DIY goes wrong and your claim is denied.

Read the fine print and wake the fuck up.

revelations
09-07-2016, 03:51 PM

Tell your rational to your house insurance company when your DIY goes wrong and your claim is denied.

Read the fine print and wake the fuck up.

I dont know whether to :rofl: or :banghead: or :dunno:

Using a quick-connect fitting from a pre-made run is in no way the same as threading, installing a gas line from the meter to a new location.

(qc fitting)

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/attachments/plumbing-piping/2252d1343490304-natural-gas-bbq-quick-connect-black-pipe-2012-07-24-17.09.29.jpg

C_Dave45
09-07-2016, 03:51 PM

You want more PERIOD?

Tell your rationale to your house insurance company when your DIY goes wrong and your claim is denied.

Read the fine print and wake the fuck up. fyp

:facepalm:
:rofl:

ExtraSlow
09-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Seth, can you show a single documented case where someone has done their own gasfitting in this manner, and then had a subsequent claim denied? I'd prefer Alberta examples, but would settle for anything in Canada, in any time period.

suntan
09-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Seth1968 is just fucking dumb.

Running gas line is hardcore shit. The traditional way is the gas fitter makes the threads himself on site!

The tools are insane. The wrench they use to tighten the fittings are massive.

That's why homeowners aren't allowed to do them.

Attaching the flex hose to the BBQ from the QC is really, really easy and straightforward for anybody.

Well except for Seth1968.

Seth1968
09-07-2016, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Seth1968 is just fucking dumb.

Running gas line is hardcore shit. The traditional way is the gas fitter makes the threads himself on site!

The tools are insane. The wrench they use to tighten the fittings are massive.

That's why homeowners aren't allowed to do them.

Attaching the flex hose to the BBQ from the QC is really, really easy and straightforward for anybody.

Well except for Seth1968.

No, not just for me. Tell it to the law.

Thaco
09-07-2016, 05:47 PM
i guess next time i plug in my toaster i should get a certified electrician to help me.

ercchry
09-07-2016, 05:57 PM

No, not just for me. Tell it to the law.

Stick to the computers

hampstor
09-08-2016, 12:37 PM
You really just need to call around and get them to come onsite and quote you. I used Protech to do my line because I needed it done in a rush.

Just because there's an existing run nearby where you want to make a new connection, it doesn't mean you can use it since there is a limit on how many BTU's a line can support (otherwise, when you turn your stove or fireplace on, you will reduce the flow to your bbq).

In my case, they had to run a new line right off the meter because of what I already had on the existing 3/4" line that was inside my house.

My total cost to run the gas line for a gas range ended up closer to $1,200 because of the length of pipe required, and the addition trips required because of the pressure testing the city needed (due to the long run of pipe).

Edit: The only people who can pull a gas permit in the city are licensed gas fitters with a business license to do business in Calgary. My father in law (a master gas fitter, but retired), couldn't pull a permit because he didn't have a business license with the city.

codetrap
09-08-2016, 02:56 PM

RealJimmyJames
09-08-2016, 03:55 PM
That trailer is basically a rolling infraction.

RX_EVOLV
04-07-2019, 09:12 PM
3 year bump. Any recommendation for a shop to run a gas line to the back yard to run BBQ + Patio Heater.

killramos
05-02-2020, 10:57 AM
I feel like I posted this somewhere else a couple months ago but... BUMP

There has got to be a beyond reccomended gasfitter to run a gas line to my deck? It’s solidly spring and my wife is sick of me searing off steaks on the stove lol.

Presumably guys are looking for some small jobs like this these days to fill their time with the coronavirus stuff?

ExtraSlow
05-02-2020, 11:10 AM
Have a relative who keeps asking me about this too. I told en to do it themselves, but they seem reluctant.

killramos
05-02-2020, 11:14 AM
I feel like the ~1000 bucks it will cost me is money well spent for this job.

Maybe I’ll try a different approach here;

Does anyone on beyond have any reason I shouldn’t go with Protech?

G-ZUS
05-02-2020, 11:49 AM
Also looking run a gas line to my garage

killramos
05-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Ok so since no one really had any advice I ended up having Protech do the install. Called them Monday for a quote, and they gave me a big long list of how their costs come in for a BBQ line right up front. Very transparent pricing with came to 825 for me for a 21 foot run with a drill from my furnace room outside and a new 1/2" QD attachment for my bbq. Happy to provide this via PM or you can just email protech.

Wife got back to them Tuesday to confirm we want to do the job, they did the install thursday morning and took a couple hours. City inspector apparently came by this morning without even letting me know and passed the work ( i already have the permit. )

Guy from protech was knowledgeable and professional and did a good job on the install.

So there, now we have a beyond recommendation for a gas line install lol

:dunno:

roopi
05-08-2020, 10:56 AM
Called Protech to set up a quote based on your review.