PDA

View Full Version : Classic car experts in Alberta?

Redlyne_mr2
09-07-2016, 06:26 PM
A family member is looking to buy a classic car. Classic cars are one department I'm not knowledgeable in so I'd like to know who are reputable brokers out there to help establish a value and know the market? Theyre looking to spend 40 to 50K so I want to make sure they're getting the best example possible for their money.

jacky4566
09-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Depends on the car. There is usually a guy for everything. Like there is a guy named Jim who only does 240Z. Literally rooms full of parts, its great!

NoPulp
09-07-2016, 08:37 PM
"Classic cars" is pretty broad.
Does your family member have any idea what they're looking for?
Any reason for that price point? Would they consider spending less and spending the rest on a bit of restoration?

Lots of people go by book or appraised value. Its a good place to start for the value, but don't ever pay the full price. You can typically knock off a big chunk of that price.

carson blocks
09-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Depends on the car. There is usually a guy for everything. Like there is a guy named Jim who only does 240Z. Literally rooms full of parts, its great!

Agreed. Generic classic car appraisers are too often just used to telling Jim Bob his '79 Z28 is worth $50k for insurance value, not finding flaws or truly valuing something. If the car was of a caliber that warranted it, and had an enthusiast following, I'd reach out to some respected owners you can likely find online, and retain their services to inspect and value the car. Like jacky said, for almost every car there is someone who eats, sleeps, and breathes that particular car and will know every trouble spot, option code, and incorrect bolt on the thing.

I personally lean much further towards driver grade cars than investment grade though so have never had to go through that. I simply do some Internet research, a quick Kijiji / eBay price check, poke my head under it, and then either pull the trigger or walk away.

dirtsniffer
09-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Mkiv supra turbo

soloracer
09-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Probably going to be hard to find someone who knows everything about every car. Take Fred Phillips for example. He is an encyclopedia of knowledge about old italian and american muscle cars. But if you ask him a Porsche or Mercedes question he would simply say he is not an expert on them. Your family member needs to be more specific about what they want. Also, if they are of the "investment" mindset the ship is quickly sailing. Cars at Monterey this year did not sell for record numbers and the consensus is prices are coming down.