PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of buying a 2014 Mazda 3

A790
09-08-2016, 06:30 AM
Trading the Jeep as we've never once used the 4x4 capabilities, I work from home, and my wife works 4 km away. Too much vehicle, and we don't like it anyway.

Looking at something in the $25k range, used, came across a '14 Mazda 3 GT w/ Luxury & Tech package. 50,000 km. $22k + tax.

Fun to drive, totally loaded. All the options our Jeep has (minus radar cruise). Comes with a 7 year/140km powetrain warranty.

We're looking for a late model car that will last us without any BS for the next 1.5 - 2.5 years. The 3 seems like a good fit.

So beyond, why shouldn't I buy it?

FixedGear
09-08-2016, 06:52 AM
I loved my 07 mazda 3.

Edit:. I assume you're talking about the hatch version - I can totally talk you out of buying the sedan. :poosie:

A790
09-08-2016, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
I loved my 07 mazda 3.

Edit:. I assume you're talking about the hatch version - I can totally talk you out of buying the sedan. :poosie:
This particular car is the sedan- can't find a reasonably priced hatch anywhere!

killramos
09-08-2016, 06:58 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--cusvnzc6--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/807397732253089605.jpg

Best I can tell the rust issue has never been fixed. A buddy of mine in Edmonton has a '13 3 i think and hes starting to show a couple of pockmarks already ( had it for maybe 9 months ). YMMV

What's a mazda 4 GT? I assume you meant 3 from the title.

22k seems like GTI money rather than Mazda money imo.

SkiBum5.0
09-08-2016, 07:37 AM
I have no idea what the market on those is, but $22 plus tax and fees seems high for a sedan. When we bought for my wife, we looked at the hatch models and we ended up with a same year/mileage Outback for less. Better car in my opinion with more room. The mazda was nicer to drive

Aleks
09-08-2016, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by A790
Trading the Jeep as we've never once used the 4x4 capabilities, I work from home, and my wife works 4 km away. Too much vehicle, and we don't like it anyway.

Looking at something in the $25k range, used, came across a '14 Mazda 4 GT w/ Luxury & Tech package. 50,000 km. $22k + tax.

Fun to drive, totally loaded. All the options our Jeep has (minus radar cruise). Comes with a 7 year/140km powetrain warranty.

We're looking for a late model car that will last us without any BS for the next 1.5 - 2.5 years. The 3 seems like a good fit.

So beyond, why shouldn't I buy it?

No reason not to buy one really. They are still competitive with the new offerings and near top of class.
The only thing I can think of is it has a lot of road noise in all trims. More than competitors for sure. If that doesn't bother you I'd say go for it.

Paul
09-08-2016, 07:50 AM
I know the former head mechanic foR Kramer Mazda.
He and his family all drive Honda / Acura's.
That's all I got.

HiTempguy1
09-08-2016, 08:05 AM
I think there are so many better choices for less money. And if you only need it to last 2-3 years, why not get a bit older which will.be much cheaper (but still within warranty)?

All cars will be reliable in this day and age, especially below 200k kms. So if you like the mazda 3, I wouldnt tell you not to get it... Except for at that crazy price, it better be a hatch (which you said it isnt). Brand new the cars are only worth $25k-ish, you are buying a 3 year old car and the sedans are not popular.

JRSC00LUDE
09-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Like above, when I think Mazda I think noisy and rusty...

JohnnyHockey
09-08-2016, 08:30 AM
22 is outrageous. ..I hope you're not getting hosed on the trade in for the Jeep as well. ..

ercchry
09-08-2016, 08:30 AM
Fwd and sub 200hp should be enough reason to second guess this purchase

...stop making such terrible vehicle choices! This will be like the Cherokee all over again "omg I love this car!" ... 6 months later "yeah, I don't like this car"

You are clearly not buying in the right segment with how quickly you lose interest. If that's not the issue then you have a horrendous case of car ADHD and you should 100% should only be buying based on resale. So stick to used Toyota/Lexus or wranglers! Your wallet will thank you

A790
09-08-2016, 08:31 AM
http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/cars/mazda/mazda3/ab/calgary/?prx=500&prv=Alberta&loc=t2z0v6&body=Hatchback&sts=New-Used&yRng=2014%2c&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

There is 1 used GT hatchbacks within 1,000km of here... wowza. Priced $500 cheaper though.

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/cars/mazda/mazda3/ab/calgary/?prx=500&prv=Alberta&loc=t2z0v6&body=Sedan&sts=New-Used&yRng=2014%2c&hprc=True&wcp=True&inMarket=advancedSearch

Even the GT sedans are in low quantity. I don't think they'll have much incentive to move on the price as a result.

A790
09-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Fwd and sub 200hp should be enough reason to second guess this purchase

...stop making such terrible vehicle choices! This will be like the Cherokee all over again "omg I love this car!" ... 6 months later "yeah, I don't like this car"

You are clearly not buying in the right segment with how quickly you lose interest. If that's not the issue then you have a horrendous case of car ADHD and you should 100% should only be buying based on resale. So stick to used Toyota/Lexus or wranglers! Your wallet will thank you
We've had the Jeep 3 years now.

I also DO have huge car ADHD, but since I work from home we are more looking at something my wife can drive that I won't totally hate.

ercchry
09-08-2016, 08:40 AM
Has it been 3 years? Holy... Well guess what? I too have terrible car retention issues, I remember driving a Cherokee (and hating it) around the time you got yours, cause my LS was in the shop getting the bumper fix after someone hit it while parked... And guess what I still own? :rofl:

Aleks
09-08-2016, 08:46 AM
You guys are funny. A new Mazda 3 GT with lux and tech automatic sedan is $31,000 if you pay cash and $33,000 if you finance.

$22,000 is not out to lunch for the car.

Thaco
09-08-2016, 08:52 AM
I DD an 06 M3, i really enjoy the car, it has no rust yet, although i'm sure thats not far away, fun little car, but i'm not sure i'd spend 20k+ on it, especially for such short term.

A790
09-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Has it been 3 years? Holy... Well guess what? I too have terrible car retention issues, I remember driving a Cherokee (and hating it) around the time you got yours, cause my LS was in the shop getting the bumper fix after someone hit it while parked... And guess what I still own? :rofl:
;)

At least I get to write the payments off as an expense.

We are in touch with an Edmonton dealer that has a red hatch.

ercchry
09-08-2016, 08:57 AM

;)

At least I get to write the payments off as an expense.

We are in touch with an Edmonton dealer that has a red hatch.

Even if you didn't have payments you could still write off kms, and still come out ahead on the depreciation side of things

bulaian
09-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Not a deal killer but...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/mazda-recalls-2-2m-vehicles-worldwide-rear-hatches-can-fall-1.3063242

DETROIT -- Mazda is recalling 2.2 million cars and SUVs worldwide because the rear hatches can fall on people and injure them.
The recall covers certain 2010 through 2013 Mazda 3 compact cars, as well as 2012 through 2015 Mazda 5 vans. Also included are certain 2013 to 2016 CX-5 and 2016 CX-3 SUVs. More than 759,000 vehicles in the U.S. and Canada are affected.
Mazda says the corrosion protection coating applied to the hatch lift supports at the factory wasn't sufficient. Over time, water containing road salt can get into the supports, causing them to corrode and break. Mazda says it has no reports of accidents or injuries caused by the problem.

Dealers will replace both lift supports. Customers will be notified in September or October about when to bring their vehicles in for repairs.

A790
09-08-2016, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bulaian
Not a deal killer but...

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/mazda-recalls-2-2m-vehicles-worldwide-rear-hatches-can-fall-1.3063242

DETROIT -- Mazda is recalling 2.2 million cars and SUVs worldwide because the rear hatches can fall on people and injure them.
The recall covers certain 2010 through 2013 Mazda 3 compact cars, as well as 2012 through 2015 Mazda 5 vans. Also included are certain 2013 to 2016 CX-5 and 2016 CX-3 SUVs. More than 759,000 vehicles in the U.S. and Canada are affected.
Mazda says the corrosion protection coating applied to the hatch lift supports at the factory wasn't sufficient. Over time, water containing road salt can get into the supports, causing them to corrode and break. Mazda says it has no reports of accidents or injuries caused by the problem.

Dealers will replace both lift supports. Customers will be notified in September or October about when to bring their vehicles in for repairs.
Not the years we're looking at.

riander5
09-08-2016, 09:04 AM
zoom zoom mothaf*cka.

I have no idea about reliability, but if it is even remotely decent, why not buy a mazdaspeed 3 for the same price

ExtraSlow
09-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Hatch beats sedan, both in practicality and looks. Don't buy the sedan.

I like the mazda 3. Decent little car, fun to drive, okay on gas. My wife still misses her Mazda3.

ercchry
09-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Things you could buy instead (2013+ under 60k kms):

Ats
320i
X1
Fusion
Mazda 6
Gti
Chrysler 300
Genesis
Mustang
V6 accord
Fiesta st
Focus st
Camero

...list goes on and on, the Mazda 3 just seems stupid in comparison

Kloubek
09-08-2016, 09:33 AM
I actually like the new 3. I think the design language is really attractive, and far nicer than the previous smiley-face iterations.

Only question I would have is how much power you enjoy having. That has 185hp if I remember correctly? More than enough to move the vehicle properly, but hardly a speedy vehicle.

If that's not an issue for you, then I see no reason not to buy one. They are well put together, and fun to drive. I've always liked my Mazdas, and felt the "zoom zoom" was truly engrained in the vehicles and not just a motto.

I also think you are being smart in buying a vehicle a couple of years old, but still under warranty. To me, you get the best of both worlds in still having warranty, but letting someone else take that initial depreciation.

mzdspd
09-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Mazda 3 Gt, Fiesta ST, or GTI.

Those would be the 3 that I would be looking at if I was looking for a fun to drive hatchback.

Mazda3 will be the cheapest to run and maintain though. That is the first year for the new model but the car hasnt really had any major changes so I would think it should be reliable and has a good warranty anyways.

That deal seems pretty average if you aren't in a rush. I saw some 14-15 Gt Hatch's selling for 20 with less k in the spring.

Swank
09-08-2016, 09:44 AM
GF just traded her '08 Mazda 3 sedan in for a 2016 Mazda 3, the '08 was pushing 175K and working very well, no rust or any serious issues. After 3 years you should still be able to sell the 2014 and get good coin back.

gpomp
09-08-2016, 09:52 AM
I think the 2014 Mazda 3 GT is a great bargain right now. They are well over $30k out the door brand new and I've seen them used for low 20's. The GT is still made in Japan unlike the GX/GS models. Even though the car is a few years old it's still very competitive in the compact segment.

If you're going to be changing cars in 2 years don't count out the 2015+ Golf TSI. They are around the same price used and have a more luxurious feel vs the Mazda's sporty feel. Both cars put down similar HP numbers on paper but they drive very different. I wouldn't want to own the VW out of warranty but it should cover you for as long as you'll have the car.

Neil4Speed
09-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Confused as to how the Jeep is too much car? I think Mazda 3's are good in the segment, but take it from a guy who made the "practical, sensible" choice - if you are a car enthusiast, life is too short to own practical sensible cars.

bjstare
09-08-2016, 10:01 AM

Ats
320i
X1
Fusion
Mazda 6
Gti
Chrysler 300
Genesis
Mustang
V6 accord
Fiesta st
Focus st
Camero

This says it all. I would drive literally any of these cars over the Mazda3, for around the same price.

carson blocks
09-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Ats
320i
X1
Fusion
Mazda 6
Gti
Chrysler 300
Genesis
Mustang
V6 accord
Fiesta st
Focus st
Camero

Best reason yet. I think I'd rather drive everything else on that list over the Mazda 3.

88CRX
09-08-2016, 10:16 AM
RUST!

When I was researching my new vehicle purchase I was tossing around the idea of picking up a CX-3 and everything I read on Mazdas was that the rust issues were still not fixed. There were brand new 3’s and 6’s with rust/paint issues after only 6-12 months. I wouldn’t consider any Mazda until that issue is 100% sorted out.

riander5
09-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Will this thread turn out like that dude who was asking about moving to airdrie? Time will tell

Mitsu3000gt
09-08-2016, 10:25 AM
These cars are way too much IMHO. Rust issues are not resolved and scare me as well. They are grossly overpriced new, and as such have inflated used prices for what you get. I would not pay $22K for a ~3 year old Mazda 3. You can get a same year very low km Acura ILX, Civic Si, or Cadillac ATS 2.0T for that money. Add to that list virtually any of the higher end V6 family sedans (Accord, Camry) and one of the last things I'd be looking at would be a Mazda 3.

Aleks
09-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Out of that list above I see 2 cars that are anywhere near the Mazda3 class. May as well recommend a 2013 Ford F-150 but make sure to get the FX4 pack and the egoboost engine.

Rocket1k78
09-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by riander5
Will this thread turn out like that dude who was asking about moving to airdrie? Time will tell

i think you can already get a whiff it is lol

Mind if we ask what theyre giving you on trade in for the jeep? I remember a thread where you were asking the value on that thing after so many years so im curious to see how far off we were.

reijo
09-08-2016, 10:46 AM
I have a number of friends with Mazda 3's .. fun to drive, reliable, great gas mileage and they are all happy with them ... various years. There seems to be a bunch of exaggeration on this forum ... rumours ... I would recommend the 3 ... especially for the fun-to-drive factor.

got_mike33
09-08-2016, 10:46 AM
Alright, I actually own one of these (2014 GS Sport). I would also recommend getting the hatch instead of the sedan, the hatch just looks so much better.

Like everyone has said the rust issues have not been fixed. I have paint chips on my roof that have already started to rust that I will need to fix after this next winter. The paint seems cheap and I have quite a few chips on the car doors as well. I had the hood and front quarter panels 3M'd to prevent any issues there.

That being said, the rust is the only real issue I have noticed so far. Mine is a manual and I like it quite a bit. The engine doesn't have much torque so the acceleration leaves a little to be desired (but with the 2.5L engine in the GT that shouldn't be an issue), but the fuel economy is amazing (typically I average 6.0L/100km with quite a bit of city driving).

The infotainment system is pretty sweet and really user friendly. I hope the add Carplay and Android Auto in the near future though as that would really up the ease of use.

As for maintenance, I have over 60,000km on mine and all that I have done thus far is regular oil changes.

mzdspd
09-08-2016, 10:48 AM
Fuck me.. I didn't know one of the best selling cars in Canada was also the worst car to consider buying :confused:

killramos
09-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Its not that its a bad car, it has its specific issues but overall it is quite a good car. Its just not really a competitive car for the money and the prices OP is quoting when you consider all of the other options. Even if the price is the market price for the car its not like mazda 3's re the only cars in the segment.

If i was throwing 22k at a 2-3 year old econobox i would hope to be getting into something much nicer than a mazda 3. Personally i don't think i would buy one for more than 15.

A790
09-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Should have also mentioned:

+ Must be an auto (for wife)
+ Will only have the car for 1.5 - 2.5 years max.

We've driven Fusions, Accords, etc. and they felt quite heavy and large for her. She wants something smaller.

Just put a deposit on a red hatch that's $22k all in. Got 24km on the odo. The exact car we would ideally want if getting a 3. No complaints here.

Dealer is giving us an acceptable amount on the trade. The numbers work, wife is happy.

I'm buying my car next summer. :)

riander5
09-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by mzdspd
Fuck me.. I didn't know one of the best selling cars in Canada was also the worst car to consider buying :confused:

For your average 20-30 year old girl who wants something that looks cute and reliable im sure its a fucking great car.

But for anyone who has time to cross shop or compare well as you can tell things dont look so great anymore. No matter how cool having a skyactiv engine must be

killramos
09-08-2016, 11:10 AM
A+ thread, who made Mar a mod?

:poosie:

Congrats on the new car!

Redlyne_mr2
09-08-2016, 11:10 AM
I love the 3, the gt is awesome especially with the tech package. Rust is easy to stop, fluid film/fluid injection

Mitsu3000gt
09-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Haha I honestly did not expect this to turn out like the Velostar and Airdrie threads.

A790
09-08-2016, 11:18 AM
;) I wanted to get talked out of it, and nobody really gave me a reason to walk away, so we decided to move on the buy.

I mean, at least it's not a Veloster :poosie:

A790
09-08-2016, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by killramos
A+ thread, who made Mar a mod?
:rofl: :rofl:

mzdspd
09-08-2016, 04:19 PM
;) I wanted to get talked out of it, and nobody really gave me a reason to walk away, so we decided to move on the buy.

I mean, at least it's not a Veloster :poosie:

Sounds like a good deal.. Now hopefully it doesn't rust to the ground like the majority seem to think :nut:

Type_S1
09-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Who the hell buys mazdas? Boring and ugly vehicles...but I mean...I guess if you don't like fun you could buy one.

Xtrema
09-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Who the hell buys mazdas? Boring and ugly vehicles...but I mean...I guess if you don't like fun you could buy one.

Really? I kinda think Mazda is the most fun out of the econo brands.

It's all about rust but as long as the car had spend little time outside of the prairies anb body is good, who cares.

The only problem I have with it is the $22K asking price, and the fact that I have an hardon for the 2016 Civic. Seems high for a 2.5 year old car but I don't know the demand on these things.

drtoohotty1
09-08-2016, 06:23 PM
will last us without any BS for the next 1.5 - 2.5 years.

Lol favorite quote of the thread! Cam owning a car that long....

max_boost
09-08-2016, 07:17 PM
How about a Golf? Das Auto.

nicknolte
09-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by got_mike33
Alright, I actually own one of these (2014 GS Sport). I would also recommend getting the hatch instead of the sedan, the hatch just looks so much better.

Like everyone has said the rust issues have not been fixed. I have paint chips on my roof that have already started to rust that I will need to fix after this next winter. The paint seems cheap and I have quite a few chips on the car doors as well. I had the hood and front quarter panels 3M'd to prevent any issues there.

That being said, the rust is the only real issue I have noticed so far. Mine is a manual and I like it quite a bit. The engine doesn't have much torque so the acceleration leaves a little to be desired (but with the 2.5L engine in the GT that shouldn't be an issue), but the fuel economy is amazing (typically I average 6.0L/100km with quite a bit of city driving).

The infotainment system is pretty sweet and really user friendly. I hope the add Carplay and Android Auto in the near future though as that would really up the ease of use.

As for maintenance, I have over 60,000km on mine and all that I have done thus far is regular oil changes.

I also have a 2014 GS with 60k on the odo. My experience mirrors yours - low maintenance and fun to drive. The interior is nicely finished and feels more luxurious than it's pricetag suggests.

Mine has a ton of paint chips on the roof though, which is startling. Also, that road noise is unbearable on the highway.

xnvy
09-08-2016, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Who the hell buys mazdas? Boring and ugly vehicles...but I mean...I guess if you don't like fun you could buy one. going to have to agree with the other guy, I think Mazda and Ford are the only manufacturers making fun and practical cars still. The new Fiesta and the 3 are both fun to drive even if they're slow as hell. Haven't had a chance to drive the Honda Fit yet unfortunately.

A790
09-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1

Lol favorite quote of the thread! Cam owning a car that long....
We've had the Jeep 3 years!

I had the Optima 1.5 years!

... and of the 40+ cars and bikes I've had, that's it. Bahaha.

GT.....O?
09-08-2016, 09:30 PM
As already said, rust issues are horrible. Especially where the rear quarter panel meets the bumper.

If you already purchased, I would buy a can of fluid film and figure out a way to coat that area every 2-3 months.

Sounds ridiculous, but I'm dead serious. Im not sure if Mazda owners just don't wash their cars properly, but seriously start watching the road for rust buckets.

NoPulp
09-09-2016, 07:33 AM
First gen mazda3 hatch or bust. I sort of miss mine, except for that awful automatic transmission.

Pretty sure the new mazda3/5 hatches just got a recall... corrosion prevention wasn't good enough and the hatch falls on your head or something I think :rofl:

Aleks
09-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Mazda's maintenance schedule is another thing that's a negative. I read somewhere you have to go in every 4 months for oil to keep the warranty. I don't know of any other make requiring that. That would be very annoying considering competition is around once a year.

killramos
09-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Mazda's maintenance schedule is another thing that's a negative. I read somewhere you have to go in every 4 months for oil to keep the warranty. I don't know of any other make requiring that. That would be very annoying considering competition is around once a year.

https://www.mazda.ca/globalassets/en/pdf/maintenance/mazda3maintenance.pdf

:eek:

Aleks
09-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by killramos

https://www.mazda.ca/globalassets/en/pdf/maintenance/mazda3maintenance.pdf

:eek:

There it is. It's not just the cost, but convenience factor. No wonder they offer unlimited km warranty with oil being replaced every 4 months!

killramos
09-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Meanwhile BMW is like " 300HP Turbo 6? Nah bro bring it in in a couple years, we do the oil at the same time as the tires "

lilmira
09-09-2016, 08:11 AM
It's not that bad considering how much attention people pay to their vehicles. It's not only just about the oil. Someone can be driving a car with no taillights or squeaky brakes until the next oil change.

jwslam
09-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Someone can be driving a car with no taillights .
Does it make a difference if they don't know how to turn them on because "those are my high beams"?

lilmira
09-09-2016, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Does it make a difference if they don't know how to turn them on because "those are my high beams"?

I have a dream, of fixing stupidity.

riander5
09-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Fuck oil changes! Buy an Audi!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/2zochr/audi_tt_with_84000_miles_without_an_oil_change/

n1zm0
09-09-2016, 09:54 AM
I think for the current gen Mazda 3 BM Chassis and the entire new KODO styled lineup for that matter, they aren't too bad especially for the rust issue, but of course only time will tell.

My reasoning for this is the latest gen models are all in-house Mazda design from chassis up, no shared Ford chassis, all CDN models of the 3 are built in Japan. Of course just because it was built in Japan isn't the only definitive thing that improves the quality but all of the above together I think has to be taken into account for this current gen.

The 2 first gens of the 3 were definitely quality failures I agree, I think Mazda at least is trying to show that they can build better stuff on their own now without having to rely on shared chassis garbage they used to produce with Ford to save some $.

As a side note... Mazda engineers revealed this info recently, if anyone remembers Dave Coleman from SCC mag back in the day, he's now an engineer for Mazda:

Despite the size differences, the Mazda CX-9 shares a lot with its smaller car-based siblings, the Mazda6 and Mazda3. That could allow Mazda to slot its full-sizer's new 2.5-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder engine under the hood of its smaller offerings. Pardon us while we do a happy dance.

"[The 2.5-liter turbo] fits in a lot of our cars, and where we're actually going to put it is another question," Mazda North America vehicle development engineer Dave Coleman told Australia's Car Advice. Coleman specified that the turbocharged engine will fit in all the same applications that can accommodate the company's 2.5-liter gas and diesel engines.

"Basically, that big space we used for the bundle of snakes exhaust manifold, the turbo is in that space too. They're all packaged to occupy the same space. It's exactly the same clearance as the exhaust manifold of the other engines."

This kind of logic – if Engine A is the same size as Engine B, then both should fit in Car C – is what's lead us to imagine a turbocharged Mazda6 since the new engine was announced. In short, it's great news. Mazda's 2.5-liter turbo is a hell of an engine in the CX-9, and it's hard to imagine it'd be worse in a lighter vehicle. But just because it works from an engineering standpoint doesn't mean it's going to happen. At least, not soon.

"It fits. I'm not a product planner so I don't get to make that call," Coleman told Car Advice. "It's up to the product planners to decide what they're going to put it in."

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/07/08/mazdas-new-turbo-four-fits-in-6-and-3/

r3ccOs
09-09-2016, 10:52 AM
IMO with the pricing, why the hell would anyone NOT look at a Jetta with the 1.4 TSI for an economic vehicle with great driving dynamics and european"feel"

I wouldn't say the Mazda is any better or worse than most vehicles in its category, as like half tons its almost a flip of a coin between any of the compact FWD offerings...

however I do think that regardless of the generation, I think VW offers a more premium driving experience, with the exception that reliability and lowest cost of ownership has always is trended towards the Honda (Civic) and Toyota (Corolla/matrix)

However the difference being in recent years is the vast improvement from Ford, thanks to its european development that has provided the Fusion (mondeo), Focus, and Escape (Kudo), which almost provide that European feel

Now if AWD is a factor... there is no comparison to the stellar traction that the Subaru symmetrical system has overall, but the rest of the car, including its uninspired non-FI engines leave alot to be desired.

if looking for a spirited driving experience, there are categories, that used to exist but again now are limited...
i.e. old Sentra SE-R Spec V, SI
then the Dodge SRT-4, Mazdaspeed 3 GTI
now, the newer GTI(s), Golf R and Ford Focus ST

my issue is with the Golf R, is the price point... whereas the Focus ST is really still at the upper price point of most subcompacts

got_mike33
09-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

My reasoning for this is the latest gen models are all in-house Mazda design from chassis up, no shared Ford chassis, all CDN models of the 3 are built in Japan.

This part is untrue. The first run of the 2014 Mazda 3 were mostly made in Japan, but after a certain point, only the GT model was built there.

Most of the GS and GX (2015+) models are now made in Mexico. If your VIN starts with a "J" it's Japanese, if it's a "3" then it is made in Mehico.

n1zm0
09-09-2016, 11:37 AM

This part is untrue. The first run of the 2014 Mazda 3 were mostly made in Japan, but after a certain point, only the GT model was built there.

Most of the GS and GX (2015+) models are now made in Mexico. If your VIN starts with a "J" it's Japanese, if it's a "3" then it is made in Mehico.

Ahh ok, I was tagging along with my SO's sister when she was at Kramer looking for a car mid summer, the CX3 I know at least is all Japanese built, the 3s I was looking at must've been GTs because all 3 I saw had a J VIN. I'm pretty sure at least all the 6s are J too.

Mitsu3000gt
09-09-2016, 11:39 AM
That 4-month maintenance schedule is ridiculous! That would be a pain in the ass. Sounds like dealer cash grabs (and I'm not sure I've ever read one good thing about the Mazda dealers in Calgary).

mzdspd
09-09-2016, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
That 4-month maintenance schedule is ridiculous! That would be a pain in the ass. Sounds like dealer cash grabs (and I'm not sure I've ever read one good thing about the Mazda dealers in Calgary).

Of course it is a dealership cash grab.. They do the exact same thing at GoAuto in Edmonton. They give you an unlimited engine warranty but you have to follow the recommended maintenance that is extremely expensive and unnecessary. Just change the oil every 8k and be done with it, especially if you don't want to keep the car forever.

Xtrema
09-09-2016, 02:19 PM

Yeah, when most Honda/Toyota is going to 1 or 2 service appointment per year, Mazda doing 3+ is stupid.

Originally posted by n1zm0
As a side note... Mazda engineers revealed this info recently, if anyone remembers Dave Coleman from SCC mag back in the day, he's now an engineer for Mazda:

Side note on the new CX-9. Despite the torque, it's tuned for economy. You hit peak torque early but it also drops off really fast. It doesn't stay there. So as long as you drive like a soccer mom, you'll are fine.

JohnnyHockey
09-09-2016, 02:48 PM
I like the new Jetta, it just like incredibly bland though. People like the Mazda 3 for its looks.

codetrap
09-09-2016, 07:17 PM

A790
09-09-2016, 08:14 PM
So today was interesting. After a huge song and dance I wound up getting the car for $20k taxes in.

relyt92
09-09-2016, 08:39 PM
That 4-month maintenance schedule is ridiculous! That would be a pain in the ass. Sounds like dealer cash grabs (and I'm not sure I've ever read one good thing about the Mazda dealers in Calgary). Also brake service yearly, and 3 yearly tire rotations.

acedia
09-09-2016, 10:42 PM
So today was interesting. After a huge song and dance I wound up getting the car for $20k taxes in.

Uh, ok, I'm intrigued.

Let's hear the story. :D

A790
09-10-2016, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by acedia

Uh, ok, I'm intrigued.

Let's hear the story. :D
Dealer is in Edmonton. Gives me a quote on my trade after I sent over a bunch of photos of the Jeep and a description of the vehicle. I mention that it's got some hail damage and send 12 pics from every angle. They e-mail back with a written offer. Sweet, let's make a deal.

Drive to Edmonton. Get to Edmonton at 12:50, awesome.

Spend the next 40 minutes navigating a series of under-construction roadways that are packed with traffic. Eventually get to the dealer by 1:45. Am hungry, cranky, but no big deal because I can get my car and get on the road.

The car looks okay but man, every panel has a scratch or a chip or something. Not what was described to me on the phone ("car is in great shape..."). Exterior is a 6.5/10 (no major damage, but a bunch of small little things).

Proceed to lose my shit (not yelling/screaming, but matter of factly stated that this is not what I drove from Calgary to see and that they've wasted 7 hours of my time and I'm NOT happy about it). Dealer manager says that I didn't disclose the hail damage, so it's a wash. I pull up the e-mail and the dozen photos I sent and threw that in his face. I also proceed to lecture him on how to treat a customer and how he managed to single handedly make a stupid situation worse with his dumbass comments. He took it pretty well, actually.

Drive the car. Drives like it's new (only has 28k on it), check engine oil/etc. which looks good (of course it would). Check for rust. No rust. Interior is 9/10 condition. All options (fully loaded) work, nothing stupid happening there.

Exterior though.... Car has about a dozen small scratches, another dozen medium scratches, one dent (LOL), and some rock chips. I figure an afternoon with touch up paint, some wax, and an orbital will resolve 80% of the paint issues. The dent needs to get pulled.

They won't move on the price. No problem. I get my $2,000 deposit refunded and am walking out the door.

Salesperson asks me to wait "for the burger" (they bought me a hamburger when I got there). Comes back, says $20k all in. Lowest price GT hatch anywhere in Western Canada (also one of the only ones). Alright, I'll deal with the scratches/etc. in the spring.

And now I have a Mazda 3.

Mista Bob
09-10-2016, 09:03 AM
Pics of the burger?

acedia
09-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Man that sucks. Nice to get a deal, but the scratches, dent, chips would drive me nuts. They probably figured you'd not drive back home empty handed and tried to hold firm. They must have took that car in on trade pretty damn cheap.

Nice price on a GT through, for sure.

A790
09-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Man that sucks. Nice to get a deal, but the scratches, dent, chips would drive me nuts. They probably figured you'd not drive back home empty handed and tried to hold firm. They must have took that car in on trade pretty damn cheap.

Nice price on a GT through, for sure.
It sounds worse than it is to be honest. All the panels are properly aligned and there's no repainting. It just looks like it's been through a lot of drive thrus. $600 in body work and a few hours of my time will get it looking almost new.

Despite the runaround with the car's condition, the dealer was pretty professional. They gave me a fair trade on my Jeep and refunded my deposit without any bullshit. When the deal got tough (when I got mad), they remained professional and more or less kept asking me what I wanted. They definitely fought for the sale though, have to give them that.

Also the most ballin' Hyundai dealership I've ever been to.

acedia
09-10-2016, 10:00 AM
That's cool. So you saved some cash, worked on your negotiating skills, and got a hamburger. Not bad!

In the end, trying to get around in Edmonton ended up being the worst part of the trip. I wanted to pull my hair out last time I was up there!! :banghead:

I've been seeing some interesting sales techniques lately. Most odd was the salesperson/sales manager duo at a Mazda dealership who pretty much interrogated me and basically wanted me to fill out a damn personality profile before even showing me a car. I actually had to say I'm not answering any more questions. lol

A790
09-10-2016, 10:13 AM
That's cool. So you saved some cash, worked on your negotiating skills, and got a hamburger. Not bad!

In the end, trying to get around in Edmonton ended up being the worst part of the trip. I wanted to pull my hair out last time I was up there!! :banghead:

I've been seeing some interesting sales techniques lately. Most odd was the salesperson/sales manager duo at a Mazda dealership who pretty much interrogated me and basically wanted me to fill out a damn personality profile before even showing me a car. I actually had to say I'm not answering any more questions. lol
Well... it is a car dealership. Why not try some personality profiling? Ha.

I was going to work with a dealer here (Kramer Mazda) but opted not to when they hit me with a $700 dealer fee. I asked what the dealer fee bought me, and essentially it came down to nitrogen filled tires and a tire warranty. They also didn't really move on the price of the car.

That pissed me off. You're already making money on the car, you're going to make money on the trade, and you also want to charge me so you can make money on top of the money you're already making? Not happening.

Aleks
09-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Ugly as fuck and more expensive.

Looks are subjective, but more expensive it isn't. Jetta is now priced like the Civic, Corolla etc.

codetrap
09-12-2016, 08:43 AM

Xtrema
09-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Hmm. I re-checked and you are correct on the pricing. I must have been looking at the wrong trim level. I'll admit I haven't gone and tried to do an apples to apples comparison of them, but I still think the Jetta is way ugly compared to the Corolla and Civic. It's styling is much closer to my 93 Excel SE than something modern.

Typical German.

But I think the Jetta is also the oldest car in the field now. Everybody else in that class now have new sheet metal to show. Even the Corolla which still sits on the same chassis from 2003.

I found nothing wrong with Jetta once they got the all the Mexican quality issue sorted out. It's a bit boring but tends to look a slight bit better put together than Asian counterparts.

r3ccOs
09-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Typical German.

But I think the Jetta is also the oldest car in the field now. Everybody else in that class now have new sheet metal to show. Even the Corolla which still sits on the same chassis from 2003.

I found nothing wrong with Jetta once they got the all the Mexican quality issue sorted out. It's a bit boring but tends to look a slight bit better put together than Asian counterparts.

IMO it still feels like a car I want to drive...

I'd say that Ford's European imports (Focus, Escape and Fusion) Modeo/Kuga/Focus are the only domestics that have that feel... nothing else in their lineup does (i.e. my F150 with panels that are super misaligned)

But even to this day... and this includes everyone with "maybe" an exception to some Lexus models, all Japanese cars still feel like econoboxes.

My brother's MDX, a G37 I was going to buy... feel the same in steering feel, closing the door, the trunk as my Dad's 08' corolla...

No doubt the Lexus, Infinity etc... can "do up "an interior as nice as any... but heck anyone can put in Napa or some high end leather, even Dodge does.

I just think that when you buy a GTI, when compared to say an Impreza, Honda Civic Turbo or what have you... it is leaps and abounds ahead in the overall driving experience, even if say the performance dynamics and technology are on par or even lagging.

i.e. IMO the Mark 5 GTI TFSI was always a more interesting car to drive than the SI or Spec-V equivalent of even the latest iterations.

performance and driving dynamics of a sports compact, linear "rich" torque delivery and comfort of a mid-class sedan, and practicality of a hatch.

got_mike33
09-13-2016, 02:51 PM
A790, that sounds exactly what my car is like. Various scratches, dents, and paint chips, I think the paint is just incredibly cheap. I don't baby my car, but I certainly don't drive it down gravel roads every day either. That being said, sounds like you got an awesome deal! Enjoy the "new" car.

A790
09-13-2016, 04:01 PM
A790, that sounds exactly what my car is like. Various scratches, dents, and paint chips, I think the paint is just incredibly cheap. I don't baby my car, but I certainly don't drive it down gravel roads every day either. That being said, sounds like you got an awesome deal! Enjoy the "new" car.
The paint chips/scratches don't bother me much. I want the dent in the rocker panel/skirt pulled though, and the major scratches touched up. Once it's all fixed up (spring maybe) I'll 3M the front end.

nicknolte
09-13-2016, 09:47 PM

Well... it is a car dealership. Why not try some personality profiling? Ha.

I was going to work with a dealer here (Kramer Mazda) but opted not to when they hit me with a $700 dealer fee. I asked what the dealer fee bought me, and essentially it came down to nitrogen filled tires and a tire warranty. They also didn't really move on the price of the car.

That pissed me off. You're already making money on the car, you're going to make money on the trade, and you also want to charge me so you can make money on top of the money you're already making? Not happening.

Kramer is ridiculous. The GM has absolutely zero people skills

redblack
09-13-2016, 10:36 PM
Nitrogen is better and well worth the money.

ercchry
09-13-2016, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by redblack

:rofl:

88CRX
09-14-2016, 10:00 AM
Nitrogen is insignificantly better performing and definitely not worth the money.

n1zm0
09-14-2016, 11:06 AM

:nut:

carson blocks
09-14-2016, 01:16 PM

I only use a special mixture of 78.09% Nitrogen, 20.95% Oxygen, and ~1% special blend of rare gases. I find it performs adequately, and is well worth the cost.

jwslam
09-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I only use a special mixture of 78.09% Nitrogen, 20.95% Oxygen, and ~1% special blend of rare gases. I find it performs adequately, and is well worth the cost.
I pay extra for that $hit. I even use it in my lungs! :poosie:

carson blocks
09-14-2016, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I pay extra for that $hit. I even use it in my lungs! :poosie:

Make sure it's free range and locally sourced.