PDA

View Full Version : Vic's Hong Kong Style BBQ & Cafe

bh87
09-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Anyone tried this place? Its on the second floor at the corner of Center street and 3rd Ave.
Heard the BBQ is amazing here but I always end up driving past it to BBQ express. Would be nice to be able to buy take out Chinese BBQ in Chinatown, and on tuesdays...

403civic
09-09-2016, 03:09 PM
For Calgary standards. I say Vic's Chinese BBQ is pretty good.

The only places I will eat Chinese BBQ is from Sun's and Feng Kee in country hills and Vic's
Everywhere else seems to be a fail IMO.

Usually Vic's is my go to place if I feel like I've been giving the Taste of Asia Group (Sun's, Calgary court, Tpot, pebble street) too much money that month.

Their "Chinese" food is good. Fried rice dishes, Noodles ect.
but their HK Cafe style food (baked pork chop with rice, Steaks) isn't that great.

JohnnyHockey
09-09-2016, 03:20 PM
I think all their food is good. ..I especially like sitting by window during winter and enjoying the snowy views below. ..great place.

redblack
09-09-2016, 04:56 PM
I'd rather go there than Calgary court. Hardly ever a line at vics

legendboy
09-09-2016, 10:33 PM
I love Feng Kee :drool:

hampstor
09-10-2016, 08:54 AM
I periodically go there for lunch - been going there for a few years (I think it used to be happy valley?).

Love the bbq meat with noodle soup (and hong kong style tea). I usually get roast pork and bbq pork with the lai fan noodle (sp? sorry I'm not chinese...) for lunch.

killramos
09-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Anyone else here addicted to Wai's BBQ House half a block to the west of this place?

2 meat lunch box for 8 dollars with rice and cabbage. BBQ Honey pork and BBQ Duck so good!

You can buy pretty much anything there.

Will have to give Vic's a try if it's good tho!

Xtrema
09-10-2016, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Anyone else here addicted to Wai's BBQ House half a block to the west of this place?

2 meat lunch box for 8 dollars with rice and cabbage. BBQ Honey pork and BBQ Duck so good!

You can buy pretty much anything there.

Will have to give Vic's a try if it's good tho!

+1 My go to for cheap lunchbox

bh87
09-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Thanx for the replies, looks like it's worth trying their BBQ!

G
09-12-2016, 10:24 AM
They suck. I think half the thread is talking about Wai's bbq, which is good for sure but Vic's sucks balls.

Kritafo
09-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by G
They suck. I think half the thread is talking about Wai's bbq, which is good for sure but Vic's sucks balls.

Amen.. this place blows, ever since it's became Vic's everything changed. It's horrible... OMG how can anyone think this place is good now? Happy Valley used to have the best BBQ duck and pork ...I only dream about it now... so sad it's gone. Jing Jing is gone... I feel like Chinatown is ruined. thank goodness we still have Calgary Court, though it has changed as well. Wai's go ... go now... run run away from Vics. So where is everyone going for BBQ pork and Duck other than Wai's?

killramos
09-12-2016, 12:16 PM
I had to have Wai's for lunch today, still delicious as always! Their ginger onion sauce is like crack.

We are moving buildings in 6 months so i need to get as much in as possible until then!

Xtrema
09-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
So where is everyone going for BBQ pork and Duck other than Wai's?

Sun's and BBQ Express next the Sun's. If I'm really lazy, just goto T&T by Harvest Hills. Not as good but at least Sun's old BBQ chef is sometimes there.

I never like Happy Valley, even less so as Vic's. Jing Jing has been in business since 88, I'm not surprised they packed it up as kids don't want to take over, this is probably the same story all over Chiantown as the older gen retires with no heirs.

G
09-12-2016, 12:25 PM
Can't stand the fact the owners sit in the back table by the kitchen and basically stare down and comment on every customer that comes in. Get off you ass and improve your food. The one and only time I went to Vic's my wife order some set dinner which consisted of a piece of fried pork chop covered in some tangy white sauce. The white sauce was so thick and goopy it looked like cock sauce. The order of bbq pork was dry because it was warmed up in the microwave. We told the really nice waitress that we don't want money back but just wanted them to know how shitty the food was. We aren't expecting Michelin star quality food just something that is edible and decent for the price. :thumbsdow

BigDL
09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Sun's and BBQ Express next the Sun's. If I'm really lazy, just goto T&T by Harvest Hills. Not as good but at least Sun's old BBQ chef is sometimes there.

I never like Happy Valley, even less so as Vic's. Jing Jing has been in business since 88, I'm not surprised they packed it up as kids don't want to take over, this is probably the same story all over Chiantown as the older gen retires with no heirs.

have you tried the one by 100% Cafe, on the other side of Harvest Hills Blvd.

Kritafo
09-13-2016, 06:55 AM
ya I didn't think much of Sun's but we haven't been in a while...maybe will go back and try. Got Duck from T&T on the weekend was a little on the salty side for me.. but it's still better than nothing.

I totally agree, no kids taking over mom and pop shops anymore. :( but I completely understand..I would not want to run a restaurant - crazy ridiculous hours. Jing Jing made my kids birthday cakes since 1994, it was a sad year without them.

Totally going to check out 100% cafe now though.

Xtrema
09-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by BigDL

have you tried the one by 100% Cafe, on the other side of Harvest Hills Blvd.

Food is inferior compared to his other establishments like Sun's and Calgary Court. Most of the specials tends to be just sauce on your choice of carb and very little meat/veg. I don't see much BBQ dishes there.

But decor is good and it tends to have no wait because parking is horrible there. And it's quieter if you are there to chat. Much easier to hear each other than most Chinese establishments.

legendboy
09-13-2016, 09:18 AM

Food is inferior compared to his other establishments like Sun's and Calgary Court. Most of the specials tends to be just sauce on your choice of carb and very little meat/veg. I don't see much BBQ dishes there.

But decor is good and it tends to have no wait because parking is horrible there. And it's quieter if you are there to chat. Much easier to hear each other than most Chinese establishments.

I am obviously not an expert when it comes to bbq (white guy) but Feng Kee is pretty damn good (maybe not for lunch box) but I take my girls there for lunch and we usually don't finish a 2 meat dine in. 5 min drive from home.

I have not tried Sun bbq bbq but they have the best hot and sour soup in the city that I have been able to find :D
Will try and Vic's also

n1zm0
09-13-2016, 10:49 AM
this is probably the same story all over Chiantown as the older gen retires with no heirs.

I feel like this is the case lately, I remember when I was a kid, we used to get good charsiu, siu yuk, duck, sausage and even the orange squid (I haven't seen that in years here) from multiple places, like Wah Hing under Silver dragon there, seems like they just sell raw meat now. I remember even Gee Gong used to sell their own decent BBQ before the flood closed them down for good.

Fly over to Van and it's the complete opposite, there's too much selection almost.

Edit: Lately I've been going to Mang Fung Supermarket occasionally, there is a small BBQ stall inside, that has everything and more (5 spice stewed innards) for the more adventurous types.

Xtrema
09-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Fly over to Van and it's the complete opposite, there's too much selection almost.

Van has more people turn over and immigrants who are great chefs. But eventually all old art will die because as people has more opportunities outside of food, they will be less and less heirs.

ExtraSlow
09-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Fuck I miss Gee Gong. I'm white as fuck, but I loved it there.

jwslam
09-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Am I the only one who thinks of Jing Jing as the restaurant first over the Bakery?
If you don't know it's the restaurant that was where Wow Chicken is now across Calgary Court

max_boost
09-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Vic's is ok. Haven't had some good BBQ in a long time.

saiyajin
09-13-2016, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Am I the only one who thinks of Jing Jing as the restaurant first over the Bakery?
If you don't know it's the restaurant that was where Wow Chicken is now across Calgary Court

best brisket/tendon hofan ever! and for like 5bucks can't be beat :drool: went there quite a bit, miss that place :cry:

JohnnyHockey
09-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Had Vics today...lemon grass pork on rice. ..it was terrible.

huGe86
09-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
ya I didn't think much of Sun's but we haven't been in a while...maybe will go back and try. Got Duck from T&T on the weekend was a little on the salty side for me.. but it's still better than nothing.

I totally agree, no kids taking over mom and pop shops anymore. :( but I completely understand..I would not want to run a restaurant - crazy ridiculous hours. Jing Jing made my kids birthday cakes since 1994, it was a sad year without them.

Totally going to check out 100% cafe now though.

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure he meant to try out Feng Kee, which is on the other side of the street from T&T which is close to 100% CAFE. Do not go to 100% cafe for BBQ, I'm not sure they even offer any there.

Feng Kee is beside the Jerusalem Shawarma and Bakery (another awesome joint btw...)

gqmw
09-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

best brisket/tendon hofan ever! and for like 5bucks can't be beat :drool: went there quite a bit, miss that place :cry:

Oh man, I forgot all about this place. Was so good and so cheap.

Vics is expensive and the BBQ is very mediocre. Wai's is much better for sure.