PDA

View Full Version : The new Vibe 98.5FM

toyboy88
03-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Yea every1 knows by now that the Vibe is now "Today's hottest music", but last night at about 10pm straight up, i heard the new song from Avril Lavigne!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Any one else hear it on the airwaves?

Vibe is really sneaky they play the "old peak" songs in between two commercials or breaks from songs, so they don't have to announce who that was on the last song(which was avril!!!!!!!:eek: )

BloNdie
03-19-2004, 09:53 AM
I think they will do good, now they're the only radio station in calgary that plays this sort of top 40 stuff, which I think alot of people like listening too. I think its smart.

QuasarCav
03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
You would do it too if you owned the station, that is a large segment of the market, left untapped by peak's departure.

Do you remember when CJAY played eminem?? pure politics

sexualbanana
Yeah, I think Calgary needs a top 40 station. We have more than enough stations that play older stuff.

Shaolin
wow, so vibe is now top 40? crazy..

Dishdog
03-19-2004, 01:57 PM
They play Evanescence and Simple Plan that ive heard, i hate that my Immortal song tho

kevie88
03-19-2004, 02:17 PM
ah crap.. I really liked the hip-hop format. Too bad they only played 6 songs tho. They had the chance to build a great hip-hop only station but failed by being so damn repetitive.

Khyron
03-19-2004, 02:23 PM
If they had just played bar music, they'd be ok - but there was so much sappy love ballads that guys like me just flipped to Cjay (or anywhere). I think I would have gone insane as a DJ listening to those same 6 songs every hour.

Khyron

Ajay
03-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Yah I heard Avril, Evanescence, AND Jessica Simpson on Vibe lately. They play that Britney - Toxic song like it's going outta style too.

Think they'll do alot better since they're playing more than just rap and R&B music now.

rice_eater
03-19-2004, 02:43 PM
with rap really not going anywhere anymore what do you expect? there are no more good rap songs coming out, and the odd one that is decent they kill within a couple weeks:dunno:

A_3
03-19-2004, 04:36 PM
They should make another hip hop station in Calgary, but less pop-rap and more old shit and underground!

The EquAzn
03-19-2004, 04:39 PM
Vibe's new goal is to attract the older "on the way to work" crowd, because little teeny boppers listen, but don't spend money... But us working folk do...

That is why you don't hear Drew Atlas, you hear Ange now... they said that Drew was too intimidating of a voice for a regular person to flip to Vibe and be like "hay, this sounds like a fun station"... in other words some soccer mom probably called Vibe and complained about Drew's gangster talk, and they realized this costs them money

That was CJAY's plan from the beginning, now instead of hip hop its just like every other Top 40 station Calgary has ever had... and like rice_eater said, hip hop is dying out anyway.

GT2NV
03-19-2004, 04:50 PM
ITS GAY haha:thumbsdow

Shaolin
03-19-2004, 04:53 PM
i don't think hip hop is dying out.. hip hop's been around for a hell of a long time.. i think it's more like the new stuff is the same music recycled and it just get redundent.. maybe a bit more variety involved like more old stuff, it's like everything they play on vibe is from like 97 and on.. and they skip everything before that.. that's not what hip hop is about.

The EquAzn
03-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Let me re-phrase my words sorry, Hip Hop is not dying out, but the popularity of it is... it happens with every Genre of music, one never stays on top... I'm just saying pop,rock,techno,trance or something will take its spot now, then 5 years from now hip hop will be back on top, then cycle over again.

No matter what happens to Vibe, CJSW will still be around for the good shit, oh and Kazaa

RAGINGHULK
03-19-2004, 05:02 PM
They canned Drew Atlas?!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!
RAGINGHULK

sexualbanana
03-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by RAGINGHULK
They canned Drew Atlas?!!!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!
RAGINGHULK

They didn't can him. He only has a 1 hour spot on weeknights now to do his own spinning.

I think there's another reason they put Drew there. To the younger crowd, they only know Drew the Vibe DJ. To the older crowd, we know him as Drew of Beatmatrix. And where does Beatmatrix appear? In bars and clubs. It's more beneficial to Vibe to have Drew out in the clubs as a part of the station than to have him at the station.

If you've ever seen Drew in action at a bar, you'd understand what I'm trying to say. People flock to him.

toyboy88
03-21-2004, 09:39 PM
I think the TOP 40 is really good thing, they get more listeners.

It should be like the Ryan Seacrest Top 40 on Sunday Night's 6-10pm:burnout:

Marsh
03-21-2004, 09:52 PM
"No matter what happens to Vibe, CJSW will still be around for the good shit,"

Yhea CJSW rocks!

RMKS13
03-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by kevie88
ah crap.. I really liked the hip-hop format. Too bad they only played 6 songs tho. They had the chance to build a great hip-hop only station but failed by being so damn repetitive.

:werd: I'd hear songs less often if I just repeated a CD in my car.... which I did! And at least those were songs that I liked too :tongue:

hawksley101
07-09-2004, 10:04 PM
how so. and its people like you tahst spread racism.

Anyway i like the new vibe, but i also think we need a true urban station. PEAK WHY DID YOU CAHNGE YOU CAUSED SO MUCH CONFUSION.

hawksley101
07-09-2004, 10:04 PM
O I WAS SUPPOSED TO QUOTE THAT NARROW MACHO GUY WHO SAID "ITS GAY"