PDA

View Full Version : Anybody heard of Westlake winter tires

NRGie
09-10-2016, 02:43 PM
I usually go with Federal Himalayas as my budget winter tire, but I can no longer get a deal on them.

Instead there's another brand called Westlake and the tire model is SW658. Anyone have any experience with these?

I can get a pretty good deal on these, but everyone else I've asked has never heard of these. It'll be going onto a 4Runner

Thanks

EK 2.0
09-10-2016, 02:50 PM
I am in the same boat as you....

But I actually just went and ordered the Westlakes up....

They look ok....and as for quality...man, if I get 2 seasons out of them for what I paid for them I am laughing haha....

I am just on the fence now about having them studded or not....

dj_rice
09-10-2016, 03:12 PM
I'd feel confident driving on Federal tires (made in Taiwan) vs Westlake brand tires (made in China). Federal's are already cheap enough and good quality and Westlakes are even dirt cheaper.

Theres a few threads online about recalled tires from Westlake. Myself, I'm cheap and in the Automotive trade and I wouldn't even buy Westlakes even with my employee discount on them. I ended up grabbing some GT Radial Winterpro's instead.

I studded them. 4x4 and studs. MAgicallll

NRGie
09-10-2016, 03:23 PM
I'm not so worried about longevity but more so driving quality. I'm not expecting the best tire but I had used a set of aurora winters one year, and the all season toyos on the car originally were much better. I always though that a shit set of winters were always better than any all season set, but not after using no aurora winter tires

italianstylez
09-10-2016, 10:19 PM
I had westlake on my 328, 335, and 240.
They worked great better then federal and better the my blizzaks mainly for wear and dry handling
And can't beat the price .
Also had Hercules winters which were awesome too