PDA

View Full Version : Why do people wear their hoods up inside their car/truck?

r3ccOs
09-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Not only are you adding a self inflected blind spot... why?

Why is it specifically with either Fast and Furious 1/2 gen vehicles that have now rusted to pure shitbags or lifted truck drivers with Metal Mulisha stickers on them? (usually seems to be driving towards a construction site)

I guess, we should avoid those type of vehicles because their heaters break prematurely?

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2016, 11:42 AM
I do it sometimes.

1) In the convertible in early/late season, but I still want to top down.
2) When the heat in the car isn't hot enough yet.
3) Just feeling kind of down, and I want to have it up.

I've never put it forward enough to be a blind spot. It usually hangs off the back of my head more than anything.

xnvy
09-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Because they're ugly

I also agree with point 1 and 3.

Aleks
09-12-2016, 12:07 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/50243157.jpg

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Millennials covers people as old as 36 years to 20 years old (or 16 years old), at this point.

1980-1996 (or 2000)

speedog
09-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Wanna be gangsters?

Disoblige
09-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Makes no sense to me either. What's even worse is I know people that listen to music through earbuds in their car.

JohnnyHockey
09-12-2016, 12:54 PM
I put it up in the winter first thing when I get in my car but only because I know i don't need to shoulder check to get out of my neighborhood..then I take it off because by then it's not cold anymore. I also keep my balaclava over my face and put a nice blanket over my lap lol

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Makes no sense to me either. What's even worse is I know people that listen to music through earbuds in their car.

I didn't understand this either until the OEM headunit died in my car and the parts to replace them were on backorder.

killramos
09-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Wearing a hoodie while driving a car seems, to me, like a colossally stupid thing to be upset about.
:rofl:

redblack
09-12-2016, 01:00 PM
White trash from forest lawn and surround trailer parks

kragnorok
09-12-2016, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

It is absolutely mind boggling how many people I see driving cars with headphones in. I am not sure if that falls under the distracted driving law, but it should be enforced either way.

brucebanner
09-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kragnorok

It is absolutely mind boggling how many people I see driving cars with headphones in. I am not sure if that falls under the distracted driving law, but it should be enforced either way.

I too think it's odd to be driving with headphones in but what's the difference between that and say driving with your stereo volume way up or say someone that is deaf driving around?

Being able to hear isn't a requirement for a license, it sure helps but it's not needed.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2016, 01:14 PM
You're allowed to listen with earbuds in/music loud, as long as you can still hear a siren/horn.

No different than a guy on a bike with ear plugs in. I can't hear what you're saying, but I can hear the sires of emergency vehicles.

C_Dave45
09-12-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
You're allowed to listen with earbuds in/music loud, as long as you can still hear a siren/horn.
What about deaf people? They have licenses. :dunno:

bjstare
09-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Probably the opposite. Have you considered the possibility that these people have iphones and no bluetooth in their car, so this is the only option for handsfree? I can think of a couple people I know, that this applies to.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/content/doctype47/production/medical_standards_aug_2011.pdf

The effect of impaired hearing on driving is difficult to define. However, most hearing-impaired
drivers are conscious of their impairment and compensate by being more cautious and alert and by
making more use of their mirrors than drivers with normal hearing

killramos
09-12-2016, 01:33 PM
So can I be exempted from other traffic laws if I promise to be more cautious and alert? :nut:

Seems like a pretty dumb statement from AB transportation and either hearing is or isn't important to driving... Decide.

C_Dave45
09-12-2016, 01:33 PM

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/content/doctype47/production/medical_standards_aug_2011.pdf

Fair point.
So IS it illegal to drive with ear buds in? I can't see volume level being a determining factor. Absolutely no way to prove how loud it is.

I often drive with my ear buds. My "hands free" system is useless as my van is too loud with ambient noise from tools and materials. So I use earbuds. I'll listen to my music, and can easily answer and take calls.

speedog
09-12-2016, 01:34 PM

Deaf people can feel things that you can't like the low rumble sirens that many emergency vehicles have now or some of the other odd ball siren sounds.

C_Dave45
09-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Deaf people can feel things that you can't like the low rumble sirens that many emergency vehicles have now or some of the other odd ball siren sounds.

Hahaha no they can't. Not inside a moving car. I worked with a deaf guy. It's strictly the energency lights. That's what he told us. He says people always asked him that.

roopi
09-12-2016, 03:11 PM

Hahaha no they can't. Not inside a moving car. I worked with a deaf guy. It's strictly the energency lights. That's what he told us. He says people always asked him that.

There are particular sirens that actually rumble. You can look it up or believe your test study of 1.

NoSup4U
09-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by roopi

There are particular sirens that actually rumble. You can look it up or believe your test study of 1.

He didn't say there isn't a siren that actually rumbles, he acknowledged that there are, with a true life example of how it is dependent on each individual situation :banghead:

NoSup4U
09-12-2016, 04:02 PM

1) In the convertible in early/late season, but I still want to top down.

- Douchebag at your finest. Really? Convertibles are meant for warm, sunny weather. Are you the twat at Tim's in West Springs this morning with the top down on your Miata, wearing a winter jacket, but still shivering as if you just got off the ski hill? It was 1.5c!!!!

2) When the heat in the car isn't hot enough yet.

- Are you driving a 1982 Chevette? If the heat isn't hot enough, for god sake, go to a garage because there is probably worse issues with your car that aren't safe to others on the road.

3) Just feeling kind of down, and I want to have it up.

- Just feeling wankster, want you to think I'm cool. I'm early 20's white/ brown kid that listens to EDM or Hip Hop, brah. You don't even, even brah!

Fixed

speedog
09-12-2016, 09:29 PM

Guess my profoundly deaf neice and two profoundly deaf great uncle's must have been oddities then, to us hearing people it was always amazing what they could sense before us.

riander5
09-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Wearing a hoodie while driving a car seems, to me, like a colossally stupid thing to be upset about.

Agree with KR on this one. Just keep your eyes on the fucking road you grumpy old man (@OP)

edit: disclaimer - i have never done this. If I really had to make a thread like this though... people in newish cars with headphones in? That one is weird to me

D'z Nutz
09-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by killramos

:werd: It's like wearing sunglasses indoors, not peeling stickers off your ball caps, and skinny jeans: no skin off my back if you want to look like a dumb fuck.

C_Dave45
09-12-2016, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Guess my profoundly deaf neice and two profoundly deaf great uncle's must have been oddities then, to us hearing people it was always amazing what they could sense before us. That's not what i said was it? Why are you upset? I didn't say they don't sense things. Obviously they have greater sense awareness..Im just telling you what one deaf person told me. I doubt a deaf person can "feel" a sirens vibration from inside a moving vehicle while it's driving.
Did your niece and uncles actually say they could feel the vibrations of a distant siren?
Or were their senses abnormally keen?
Point being...deaf people can drive and stats show are usually safer drivers by relying on their sight and spacial awareness. Ergo: hearing is not required to be a safe driver.

SKR
09-13-2016, 05:26 AM
I do it so people know I'm not to be fucked with. Just rollin around lookin hard actin hard.

dirtsniffer
09-13-2016, 06:36 AM
That's not what i said was it? Why are you upset? I didn't say they don't sense things. Obviously they have greater sense awareness..Im just telling you what one deaf person told me. I doubt a deaf person can "feel" a sirens vibration from inside a moving vehicle while it's driving.
Did your niece and uncles actually say they could feel the vibrations of a distant siren?
Point being...deaf people can drive and stats show are usually safer drivers by relying on their sight and spacial awareness. Ergo: hearing is not required to be a safe driver.

I know this wasn't your point but CPS now has sirens you can feel.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2547651/calgary-police-howler-device-causes-cars-to-vibrate-as-cops-approach/

SCHIDER23
09-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by SKR
I do it so people know I'm not to be fucked with. Just rollin around lookin hard actin hard.
OR
http://imoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/404-Hot-Fuzz-quotes.gif

speedog
09-13-2016, 07:06 AM
That's not what i said was it? Why are you upset? I didn't say they don't sense things. Obviously they have greater sense awareness..Im just telling you what one deaf person told me. I doubt a deaf person can "feel" a sirens vibration from inside a moving vehicle while it's driving.

Hey man, like I wasn't upset in the least bit and I'm sorry if I came across that way. It also needs to be noted that all my relatives were deaf from birth and I do not know if there is a difference between that and someone who lost their hearing at some point in their life after birth.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by NoSup4U

Fixed

1) S2000. I want to enjoy top down.
2) '16 GTI. Heats fine, but not for the first 10 minutes when I just cold started it after sitting out all night.
3) Late 20's white guy listening to Broadway? Gotta get me some Hamilton/Aaron Burr goodness.

You sound kind of butt-hurt on #1. It's not like Calgary has an amazing track record when it comes to weather, so I take advantage of it when I can, even if that means driving with the hood up on my jacket. I'm not really sure what the big deal is, as it doesn't cause a blind spot.

If it's not snowing or raining, it's still top-down weather. Even in +2*C.

freshprince1
09-13-2016, 08:44 AM

I use my earbud headphones to take phone calls once in a while. Though now that I have newer vehicles, the bluetooth audio quality as greatly improved and I usually go with that. But up until November, when I had my Legacy GT, I'd still do headphones for conference calls while driving. Never for music.

legendboy
09-13-2016, 09:00 AM
gotta stay low key

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/F-YAAOxy2CZTa52A/s-l500.jpg

MR2-3SGTE
09-13-2016, 09:44 AM
I do it simply because i have it on before getting in the car and don't pay enough attention to it to remember to take it off. I don't see why it even needs to be justified. But I suppose we'll be seeing more of these threads now that CPS is cracking down on window tints

mr2mike
09-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Millennials covers people as old as 36 years to 20 years old (or 16 years old), at this point.

1980-1996 (or 2000)

That's what I don't get because I view Millennials as being:
1990 - 2000.
People born in 1980s still know what life was like before computers, cellphones and digital cameras.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Gen X was the generation succeeding baby boomers. Gen Y is the generation after that, AKA the Millennials.

Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation Y, abbreviated to Gen Y) are the demographic cohort between Generation X and Generation Z. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends. Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and use the mid-1990s to the early 2000s as final birth years for the Millennial Generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

revelations
09-13-2016, 09:57 AM
On the highway, hoodies flop around in convertibles (at least in mine) unless you have a wind deflector.

Even when I worked in the bush in -30 I hated the claustrophobic feel of a hoodie. The only time I used it was if I was sitting down with my back to the wind.

If you're cold, keep a toque in the car.

mr2mike
09-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Gen X was the generation succeeding baby boomers. Gen Y is the generation after that, AKA the Millennials.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

What happened to:
http://www.gmkfreelogos.com/logos/G/img/Generation_Next-1.gif

I don't dispute your statement, I know it is how you said, I just don't really agree or associate with the Millennials.

20yrs for a generation in this day is way too long.

schocker
09-14-2016, 02:39 PM
Man some salty people on here. Who cares, and you don't have additional blind spots if you set your mirrors properly :nut:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

egmilano
09-14-2016, 09:43 PM
I sometimes wear mine when the weathers shit because its comfortable... :whocares: ive also never had an issue with blind spots and sight ... Did someone in a hoody fuck your gf or something lol

know1edge
09-14-2016, 10:14 PM

JfuckinC
09-15-2016, 12:50 AM
I used to wear my hood up a ton. Just feels comfortable to me. Don't really wear hoodies anymore too often though..

Who cares :dunno:

Black Gts
09-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Lol. I never get in my truck and put my hood up, sometimes I just don't pull it down. #thuglife