PDA

View Full Version : Need Beyond's Advice - To buy or not buy?

artieg30
09-20-2016, 12:02 PM
So I've been looking at E39's this past week and I found what would seem to be a gem on Kijiji.

It's a 2002 540i model with 133K's, though it has a bit of a accident history which is keeping me from making a offer.

It has two claims from 2003, and 2004. First claim is around $4,400 and car proof lists the damage as on the front. Second claim is much smaller at around $1,700 and is listed as damage on the left side.

Do you guys think that the $4400 in damages is significant enough to walk away? I've owned a couple BMW's in my life and I know that things can get expensive real quick, mainly i'm concerned about any potential frame or engine damage to the car. Thoughts?

Also I tried asking the seller and he didn't know much on the damages as this was with the first owner. Thanks beyond.

spikerS
09-20-2016, 12:13 PM
both those amounts are pretty minor for any car. I had a minor dent in my passenger door on my F-150 and it was $2200 to fix that, so $4400 doesn't seem like much especially when the damage happened 1 and 2 years after the car entered the market.

Have it checked out to make sure the damages were repaired properly, and if so, I wouldn't worry about it, but definitely use them to haggle the price.

revelations
09-20-2016, 12:14 PM
4400$ isnt much for a BMW. Could be a bumper, headlights plus sensors.

I would get a mechanical inspection done, regardless.

Accidents don't make/break a deal for me but rather how the repairs were done and how the vehicle was owned (vs. neglected/abused).

G-ZUS
09-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Make sure the timing chain guides were done......big job!

artieg30
09-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys, my plan before I make an offer is to take it to vitek for a comprehensive mechanical inspection. Lastly, the lack of service records was also what's making me weary of touching this car.

Kloubek
09-20-2016, 01:06 PM
Both issues do reduce the potential of a car's value - keep that in mind for when you wish to sell, and use it as a dickering point when buying.

But really, neither are deal breakers imo. For the amount you're going to end up paying for an old car like this, it seems relatively inconsequential.

realazy
09-20-2016, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't worry about those claims as they were relative low dollar value and happened early in the vehicle's life. Any shitty repair job would be noticeable by now after 12 years. If the car checks out now, you should be good.

CLiVE
09-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by artieg30

it has a bit of a accident history which is keeping me from making a offer.

Go with your gut. You're already hesitant; walk away.

Even if it isn't major, seems like the accident history bothers you.

mr2mike
09-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

Go with your gut. You're already hesitant; walk away.

If you're asking beyond, you know your answer.

You just want someone to talk you into justifying buying it.

Buy it:devil:

artieg30
09-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

If you're asking beyond, you know your answer.

You just want someone to talk you into justifying buying it.

Buy it:devil:

Haha you saw right through me!

mr2mike
09-20-2016, 04:13 PM
Only because I was in your shoes once and a wiser person than me told me the same thing.
Minus the "buy it" part.

CLiVE
09-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Only because I was in your shoes once and a wiser person than me told me the same thing.
Minus the "buy it" part.

:werd:

....same, and I still didn't take their advice.

corsvette
09-20-2016, 08:09 PM
It's an old BMW. I'd be much more worried about it's mechanical state than a few low-dollar accident claims. I may worry about insurance claims on a newer car, on something older it's already bottomed out on it's value and those claims won't ever have much bearing on it's future value.

bjstare
09-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
It's an old BMW. I'd be much more worried about it's mechanical state than a few low-dollar accident claims. I may worry about insurance claims on a newer car, on something older it's already bottomed out on it's value and those claims won't ever have much bearing on it's future value.

I think the point is that the mechanical state may be a direct relation to the accident claims, what was damaged, and how the repair was handled.