PDA

View Full Version : Hail Damage Payout Question

elite
09-27-2016, 04:36 PM
So my vehicle was hail damaged in the storm a few months ago and I just got the offer from TD meloche mknnex where I could buy the vehicle back and they'll pay me or the rest. I thought that I would just be able to continue to drive the car if I took the payout and my policy would just be adjusted to remove comprehensive and just keep it covered as plpd. However, then I got the email from them that states this

"the vehicle cannot be re-registered until you have satisfied Alberta Transportation that all of the damage on the vehicle has been repaired, and that the vehicle has been made safe to drive in Alberta. Such repairs would not only include the cost of the repairs from this incident, but also includes all repairs necessary to make it safe for use on Alberta roads."

Does that mean that even if i keep the car before I can drive it the hail damage needs to be fixed? Mechanically it's good, a 2011 mazda 3 with only 80xxx k on it. I was under the impression that the car would still remain active?

Thaco
09-27-2016, 04:41 PM
looks like a canned response for write off/salvage vehicles, i dont think it'd apply to you since your car shouldn't be written off due to the damage, thats usually only for structural damage. but i'd call your rep to find out for sure.

I bought a hail car from the salvage auction and it was never marked as written off, just has on the carfax that a hail payout was made so i could never claim for hail again.

guessboi
09-27-2016, 05:37 PM
^ +1 Looks like they deemed your car as salvage and that shouldn't happen due to a cash settlement for a hail damaged car.

elite
09-27-2016, 05:57 PM
They are deeming it a total loss due to the repair estimate being greater than what the cars worth. That shouldn't change anything though right? I'll have to give them a call back tomorrow to clarify it seems

Thaco
09-27-2016, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by elite
They are deeming it a total loss due to the repair estimate being greater than what the cars worth. That shouldn't change anything though right? I'll have to give them a call back tomorrow to clarify it seems shoudlnt matter, like i said, i bought my car from the salvage auction, the person did not keep the car and took the payout, but the title was never changed, it remained active, nothing changed except when i insured it they did a check and told me i was ineligible for hail coverage due to the previous claim. (unless i got it repaired and proved it to them, then i could qualify again)

G-ZUS
09-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
shoudlnt matter, like i said, i bought my car from the salvage auction, the person did not keep the car and took the payout, but the title was never changed, it remained active, nothing changed except when i insured it they did a check and told me i was ineligible for hail coverage due to the previous claim. (unless i got it repaired and proved it to them, then i could qualify again)

Depends on the adjuster/company, i've seen both active and salvage hail damaged vehicles at the auction, mostly active

NoPulp
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
I'm also curious how this works. I've seen the odd salvage car come up with hail damage that would make a good race car.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to drive a car with simple hail damage. You see cars in much worse physical condition every day.

hampstor
09-28-2016, 08:33 AM
I think you need to call your insurance company and read the paperwork you signed to clarify what you received the payout for:

1) Payout for the repair
2) Payout for your entire vehicle (a write off)

It's entirely possible that you received payout for #2 above, especially if the cost to repair exceeded ~80% of the ACV of your car.

If it's #2, and that's what you actually agreed to, you need to get it inspected per that email you received. Assuming it's just hail damage and there's nothing else wrong that would cause it to fail that inspection, there shouldn't be an issue to get it titled so you can continue to drive it.

RealJimmyJames
09-28-2016, 09:17 AM
It is possible for a car that has been deemed a "total loss" to be branded as "salvage" title. If so, yes, you will need to have it pass a major inspection and then it will be branded as "rebuilt".

Pretty rare for hail though, how shitty is this car?

rx7boi
09-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to drive a car with simple hail damage. You see cars in much worse physical condition every day.

I've often wondered this. It seems more applicable to the numbers/payout than it is the safety of the vehicle on the road.

I'm not educated on hail damage but IMO I would imagine that mild to moderate hail damage typically would not compromise the structural integrity enough to be dangerous but from a financial perspective they would have to title a car salvage and take it off the road.

Then again, saying that most hail damage is negligible is just pure arbritary speculation from my end and has no facts to back it up haha.

ee2k
09-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Have you guys noticed that many Mazdas seem to have hail damage? If I see hail damage on a car, more often than not it's on Mazda.

elite
09-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
It is possible for a car that has been deemed a "total loss" to be branded as "salvage" title. If so, yes, you will need to have it pass a major inspection and then it will be branded as "rebuilt".

Pretty rare for hail though, how shitty is this car?

Cars not shitty just has about 12 grand worth of hail damage haha. Some of the hail was about the size of tennis balls.

If it does get a salvage title that would suck as I know those inspections are really in-depth. Waiting to hear back from my insurance to see what they say though.

Xtrema
09-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ee2k
Have you guys noticed that many Mazdas seem to have hail damage? If I see hail damage on a car, more often than not it's on Mazda.

Thin shitty steel is what Mazda is known for.

Thaco
09-28-2016, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Thin shitty steel is what Mazda is known for. i think all low end current cars are in that situation, my civic would get dents if you looked at it funny.

tcon
10-16-2016, 12:14 AM
My dubya was written off for hail. I took a partial payout and drive it as my winter beater. The title says salvaged-retained or something like that. Didn't require anything extra to keep it registered as far as inspections go.:dunno: