PDA

View Full Version : Shower not hot enough

sansglee
09-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Just one shower in the house is not enough. it used to be hot before, recently noticing water is not hot enough. the other showers in the house work fine.

Even the sink in that same washroom is hot enough. but shower is getting hot.

Please help. Any suggestions ?

JRSC00LUDE
09-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Turn the cold water tap on less and the hot water tap on more.

Or, replace the cartridge.

Seth1968
09-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Are you getting enough water pressure when you turn on just the hot? If not, the hot valve is probably not opening properly.

Or, that anti scald thingy is defective.

sansglee
09-30-2016, 10:55 AM
There is only one tap, one handle. Not two taps ( one for cold and the other for hot).

RealJimmyJames
09-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Or, replace the cartridge. boing boing boing!

redblack
09-30-2016, 12:10 PM
Buy a new house or call in a plumber

bh87
09-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Like others have said, might be faulty cartridge.

If it is Moen brand they will replace it for free and might even swap it at HomeDepot/Rona/Lowe's on the spot.

If it is Delta, use their website to narrow down which cartridge is in your shower fixture and call their 1-800 and ask them to mail you a replacement (usually free if less than 2 years old) and takes about 2 weeks.

If it is another brand, call their toll free line and work something out with them, shouldn't be much of an issue.

In my current place I had a plumber remove the anti-scald device and it is night and day different.

Like all pluming activities, do yourself a favor and turn off the water first.

eblend
09-30-2016, 10:09 PM
There may also be a limiter installed that limits how much hot water can be mixed in to prevent scalding. My buddies shower had this, but for whatever reason it would never get hot enough for his liking, so we just removed it. It was really easy.

His looked something like this, I remember just removing the middle bolt and it was right behind the single handle thing

http://f.tqn.com/y/plumbing/1/S/L/5/-/-/scald_guard.jpg

EDIT: Didn't see bh87 mentioned the anti-scald device in his post

Deetz
10-01-2016, 05:55 AM
I improved the hot water output by replacing the dip tube in my hot water tank. It made quite a bit of difference. Those cheap things are made of plastic and really fall apart after a while

A790
10-01-2016, 07:52 AM
If you have hard water, the build up inside your hot water heater can start to diminish its storage capacity. If the water heater is relatively new, this is not likely a concern. If it's an older unit, this may be the cause of your problems. :)

RealJimmyJames
10-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Didn't he say he has sufficiently hot water elsewhere in his house? OP, did you actually test the water temp at different locations in the house? IR thermometer should be sufficient for this purpose.

Seth1968
10-01-2016, 09:10 AM
What a shit show for something so simple.

speedog
10-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

On the surface it sure seems so but we've got to remember that there are probably more people out there than not who just aren't handy. Figuring out why there isn't enough hot water somewhere, changing a cartridge, fixing a leaky toilet - this may seem easy to you or I but are out of the realm of many.

95EG6P
12-09-2016, 08:51 PM
i have the same issues but it is just warm water even if i turn it all the way to hot. the pressure stays the same my house it 3 years old. IS there any thing i can do, IT was all good yesterday just today it started

redline
12-09-2016, 09:23 PM
Sometimes the valves are adjustable, we just did some renos on our house and plumber was able to adjust the showers so we got more hot water.

Seth1968
12-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Originally posted by speedog

On the surface it sure seems so but we've got to remember that there are probably more people out there than not who just aren't handy. Figuring out why there isn't enough hot water somewhere, changing a cartridge, fixing a leaky toilet - this may seem easy to you or I but are out of the realm of many.

But algebra is?

95EG6P
12-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Is there a beyond plumber or can recommend a plumber to fix my Luke warm water issues

ZenOps
12-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Get pipe wrench, find gremlin, hit gremlin over head with pipe wrench.