PDA

View Full Version : Has your office/company laid people off? PART 6 (New Poll Options!)

Pages : [1] 2 3

schurchill39
10-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Pick the one that best applies to you and expand in the comments.

New quarter so a new thread. I kept the name the same so they are all related but I added a few new poll options that I think are probably a little more relevant to the current market conditions.

I think we are done layoffs at my company. There may be a few forced retirements here or there but I don't anticipate any mass layoffs like there have been in the past. We are slowly bringing people back on a field level but not enough where we are advertising for positions yet.

dirtsniffer
10-05-2016, 10:14 AM
we are bringing a couple field positions back and our manufacturing staff is going to average 100 hrs of OT per month 'till Christmas instead of hiring more people.

nzwasp
10-05-2016, 10:55 AM
Should of been another option that said I was laid off but now ive found work in the same industry.

nickyh
10-05-2016, 11:21 AM
apparently my company is on a hiring spree. I think they made a ton of cuts and now work is picking up they are scrambling to fill.
I'd love my paycut to be given back.

HiTempguy1
10-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Oil's on a tear :nut:

So far, nothing but the layoffs over a year ago for deadweight/departments that were axed. We'll see if the re-org goes through with no layoffs, cautiously optimistic. Still didn't stop me from telling my boss if he thinks I'm going to travel up north for only 10 hour days when I legitimately work 11-12, he is on f*&king crack.

brucebanner
10-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Oil's on a tear :nut:

So far, nothing but the layoffs over a year ago for deadweight/departments that were axed. We'll see if the re-org goes through with no layoffs, cautiously optimistic. Still didn't stop me from telling my boss if he thinks I'm going to travel up north for only 10 hour days when I legitimately work 11-12, he is on f*&king crack.

That union though! Am I right or am I right?:rofl:

HiTempguy1
10-05-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

That union though! Am I right or am I right?:rofl:

:bigpimp:

I've actually told other bosses that before too, non-union. I'm nobody's bitch. I'd rather be poor and on the streets then suffer under some egotistical asshole who thinks he can get away with not paying me for my work :dunno:

Luckily, my boss is (mostly) reasonable, and #unionftw.

brucebanner
10-05-2016, 02:47 PM

:bigpimp:

I've actually told other bosses that before too, non-union. I'm nobody's bitch. I'd rather be poor and on the streets then suffer under some egotistical asshole who thinks he can get away with not paying me for my work :dunno:

Luckily, my boss is (mostly) reasonable, and #unionftw.

We have a "union" where I am as well. Just poking some fun! I definitely agree, always get paid for your time worked.

Swank
10-05-2016, 02:51 PM
I switched industries in 2014 before the sky really started to fall, so I answered the poll according to my current office/company - steady as she goes guvnuh :)

pheoxs
10-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Laid off ~1/3 of our staff over the past 18 months. Stable for the last 3-4 months though and likely stable for the future. We hired a few people in the past month to fill needed positions.

Sugarphreak
10-05-2016, 11:03 PM

DTTB_36
10-06-2016, 05:59 AM
Company still going through layoffs but I am fairly safe now. Still in oil and gas transportation, but became an expat with same company.

RT16V
10-06-2016, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Switched industries

Really liking what I am doing right now too... guess there is life beyond the oil patch after all :D

Good to hear! What industry did you end up in?

flipstah
10-06-2016, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by RT16V

Good to hear! What industry did you end up in?

Japanese A/V :poosie:

bjstare
10-06-2016, 07:39 AM
We've laid off about 65% of our staff over the last couple years (and we started at a couple thousand), and let go of at least a few hundred contractors over that same time period.

Things are looking a little better now, but they layoffs haven't subsided yet. Cut a few more overhead positions just last week (anywhere from admins to regional leadership team members). The office is just not a very fun place to be. The upside is, the majority of people still around are high performers, so whatever project I'm working on, I've had a great team :rofl:

dandia89
10-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Should of been another option that said I was laid off but now ive found work in the same industry.
:werd:

Feruk
10-06-2016, 08:56 AM
I think we laid off 10-15%. There are still occasional one-offs, but mostly stable now. I've never been safer (or so I think).

Originally posted by cjblair
The upside is, the majority of people still around are high performers, so whatever project I'm working on, I've had a great team :rofl:
We hired an engineer back during the peak that we knew would be useless (pretty much said so in the interview). Why? He was the only one who applied! Sure enough, first one gone. The dead weight was nice to dump. :rofl:

legendboy
10-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Switched industries

Really liking what I am doing right now too... guess there is life beyond the oil patch after all :D

werd :werd:

not working but on ei and studying :)

flipstah
10-06-2016, 09:09 AM
For people who switched: Who plans on sticking to their new industry?

Sugarphreak
10-06-2016, 09:18 AM

roopi
10-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

:rofl:

They will all run back to the oil money.

Swank
10-06-2016, 09:25 AM
For people who switched: Who plans on sticking to their new industry? The money is almost as good and quality of life is much better, I'm a lifer here now :thumbsup:

89coupe
10-06-2016, 10:14 AM

I made the switch from Geophysics to Real Estate, first year was slow but this year I have done over $10million in sales, life is good.

I can't imagine ever wanting to go back. Quality of life is way better.

austic
10-06-2016, 10:43 AM
We let go of a contractor, but other than that steady as she goes

killramos
10-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Where were you all working in Calgary that your "quality of life" was so bad?

All of the Oil companies I have ever worked for have basically been 7 hour day country clubs ( not saying this is how it is everywhere but...) .

Are you referring to the jobs themselves or living in Calgary?

Field work?

Just curious, or is it just something people say to themselves to justify the change?

Swank
10-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Way back when I was at PanCanadian it was a small and laid back company. Then it grew to be Encana and life was exciting. Then it split and Encana started to struggle. 2 Fridays off/month was nice, but the 8.5hr (9.5 with lunch) work days didn't leave you much time to do anything else that day after you factor in commute and dinner. The eventual removal of compensation for on call happened and you'd get called multiple times most nights at all hours, if you didn't respond within an hour there would be hell to pay, this would pretty much ruin your Friday off (and weekend). Always having to do more with less as the price of natural gas never rose to what they always dreamed it would. Consolidating teams had me doing work I wasn't trained for or comfortable with. End users would make almost every call a high priority. There was always someone watching when you arrive and leave. I still liked it there and likely wouldn't have left, but now it's a nightmare, I was very lucky to be a part of the first round of lay offs when there were still jobs out there.

Now with my 7 hour work days, amazing gym/fitness facility, and out of downtown with a 5 minute commute life is great. Heated parking for the price of a bus pass, no more c-train. On call is 'best effort' and I've been called 3 times in 2.5 years. Work atmosphere and pace is much more relaxed, a task people would have expected to be done within hours at Encana can be done the same week here and they are thrilled. While my annual salary is probably ~15-20% less, my hourly rate is a bit higher. The money I save on my commute and gym membership helps too. I'm the only tech doing what I do so I run my own show, I find it more empowering and very rewarding.

flipstah
10-06-2016, 12:00 PM
I miss Encana and our bonuses. :(

Swank
10-06-2016, 01:06 PM
^Bonuses were definitely nice. I miss when stock options actually resulted in money. I paid cash for my new Si with them one year

90_Shelby
10-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by killramos
just something people say to themselves to justify the change

adam c
10-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Swank
snip...

Curious which part of IT you work in

ExtraSlow
10-06-2016, 02:32 PM
What does it count as if you were laid off, and you haven't had full time work since, but you started a company, and are spending your time marketing that? I guess that's "currently looking for work"

I'd consider this company really successful if I could make 1/4 what I was making prior to the layoff. :bigpimp:

Yep, that's my 2016 so far. :thumbsup:

r3ccOs
10-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
What does it count as if you were laid off, and you haven't had full time work since, but you started a company, and are spending your time marketing that? I guess that's "currently looking for work"

I'd consider this company really successful if I could make 1/4 what I was making prior to the layoff. :bigpimp:

Yep, that's my 2016 so far. :thumbsup:

would that have made Rich unemployed?

ExtraSlow
10-06-2016, 03:00 PM
I try not to compare myself to Mr Rich. It's too hard on my self esteem.

Swank
10-06-2016, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by adam c

Curious which part of IT you work in Telecom, overlap with networking a bit thanks to voip.

89coupe
10-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Where were you all working in Calgary that your "quality of life" was so bad?

All of the Oil companies I have ever worked for have basically been 7 hour day country clubs ( not saying this is how it is everywhere but...) .

Are you referring to the jobs themselves or living in Calgary?

Field work?

Just curious, or is it just something people say to themselves to justify the change?

For me I was bored out of my skull, 8-5pm stuck in an office. Seismic activity was at an all time low, literally had no work for 5+ years of the 11 years I worked at my last O&G company.

Now being self employed I make my own hours, and work when I feel like working. I golf 2-3 times a week, work-out during the day and take my kids to the movies on week days.

It almost seems surreal, feels like I'm retired, but at the same time making shit loads of money.

It was scary making the transition, so use to getting a steady paycheque, but now that I'm in a groove, I can't imagine going back to that mundaine routine.

No regrets

dirtsniffer
10-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Fucking Realtors.

HiTempguy1
10-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Fucking Realtors.

Its unreal the kind of money they can make. I missed the boat, I should have gotten into it while young.

bigbadboss101
10-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Real Estate can be very rewarding but it's not for everyone. You need a certain drive, personality. I have many friends who are successful, and a few who switched back. The be your own boss thing can be a pro or con depending on one's attitude.

bjstare
10-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Its unreal the kind of money they can make. I missed the boat, I should have gotten into it while young.

How exactly did you miss the boat? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't even have a spouse or kids that you're responsible for. If this is the case the only thing stopping you from making a change like that, is you :dunno:

Furthermore, aren't you still young? I thought you were under 30, or very near. I'm pretty sure 89coupe is at least a couple years older than you are.

People out there switch careers at the age of 50. My dad left a job as an executive at a telco (good money, great job security) to help run and grow another company in a completely different industry when he was 47.

HiTempguy1
10-07-2016, 08:16 AM
# of overall real estate transactions is down = less work per realtor, combined with a glut of realtors in general. I don't see now being a good time to get in.

I have no doubt I could support myself financially doing it, I've been staging houses and taking photos since I was 16. Letting the current cushy gov job combined with the fuel sales business run its course and see how my investment of time and money in those two fields pan out. If they are a dud, I'll make a career change in 2 years by either going back to school or into something with minimal retraining that lets me utilize my fantastic charisma and social skills :poosie:

:Rofl:

I personally believe any business opportunity requires a commitment of 5 years to be able to remotely evaluate its success. Technologist diploma worked so far (year 6), fuel business is looking promising (year 2, 100% year/year sales growth, looking to double if not triple next year).

RE agent may cut into my racing time, COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE ;)

Xtrema
10-07-2016, 09:30 AM
The way I see realtor vs job is you are basically on call 24/7, at least for a while until you can build up a team to deal with 1st line response.

Especially if have not established well enough and stuck as buying agent. A lot of work for peanuts.

89coupe
10-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
The way I see realtor vs job is you are basically on call 24/7, at least for a while until you can build up a team to deal with 1st line response.

Especially if have not established well enough and stuck as buying agent. A lot of work for peanuts.

Curious why you think buying vs selling determines value?

Xtrema
10-07-2016, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Curious why you think buying vs selling determines value?

Buying = a lot of work, driving clients around until deal is done. Even worse if it's a 1st time buyer because you don't have a selling lead.

Selling = sit and wait for buying agents bring the right people to you. May be do some staging and open houses, that's about it.

All I'm saying is, if commission is split 50/50 between buying and selling agents, buying agent has potential more time invested by the time deal is closed.

There will always outliers where this theory doesn't panned out. If you moved 10 $1M properties and collected your half of ~$350K of commission with ease as a buying agent, good for you.

But that isn't the norm for majority of realtors. They may have to move 20 $500K properties or more if value is less. So it may take them 2x to 3x effort to get the same #s you had.

S4Andy
10-08-2016, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Buying = a lot of work, driving clients around until deal is done. Even worse if it's a 1st time buyer because you don't have a selling lead.

Selling = sit and wait for buying agents bring the right people to you. May be do some staging and open houses, that's about it.

Buying has no advertising/listing costs associated with it. Fuel costs to drive or meet a client at a house but that would be very minimal compared to the costs associated with a proper listing package.

Sugarphreak
10-08-2016, 12:50 PM

leftwing
10-10-2016, 05:38 PM

For me I was bored out of my skull, 8-5pm stuck in an office. Seismic activity was at an all time low, literally had no work for 5+ years of the 11 years I worked at my last O&G company.

Now being self employed I make my own hours, and work when I feel like working. I golf 2-3 times a week, work-out during the day and take my kids to the movies on week days.

It almost seems surreal, feels like I'm retired, but at the same time making shit loads of money.

It was scary making the transition, so use to getting a steady paycheque, but now that I'm in a groove, I can't imagine going back to that mundaine routine.

No regrets

In my experience working with my realtor, 'making my own hours' and 'working when I feel like working' seems like a bit of a stretch. In my case my realtor showed the places when I was available, which happened to be on friday night. Then the next afternoon (saturday) I put an offer in; My realtor had to leave his dinner plans and come meet me downtown for about an hour to retrieve my signature and finish the negotiations.... Definitely worth it for the paycheck that he got, but I wouldn't really consider those ideal hours.

89coupe
10-10-2016, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by leftwing

In my experience working with my realtor, 'making my own hours' and 'working when I feel like working' seems like a bit of a stretch. In my case my realtor showed the places when I was available, which happened to be on friday night. Then the next afternoon (saturday) I put an offer in; My realtor had to leave his dinner plans and come meet me downtown for about an hour to retrieve my signature and finish the negotiations.... Definitely worth it for the paycheck that he got, but I wouldn't really consider those ideal hours.

I agree, I drop everything for my clients when they need me, but with today's technology, getting a contract signed takes no time at all with docusign. They don't have to leave their home, and I don't have to leave mine.

As for ideal hours, every Realtor seems to manage their time differently. For me it's been amazing so far, and the clients I have worked with have been great.

Super_Geo
10-10-2016, 08:14 PM
With sales down so much from the peak, wouldn't the total pie of realtor commissions have shrunk considerably as well?

RealJimmyJames
10-11-2016, 06:43 AM
The volume of transactions is still pretty high.

holden
10-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
The volume of transactions is still pretty high.

Not compared to 2014.

Xtrema
10-11-2016, 09:41 AM
For me it's been amazing so far, and the clients I have worked with have been great.

Client matters. If you keep yourself in the high end of the biz, you tends to have better clients and better commissions.

Some realtors I have met still have a day job and try to juggle both life. Or has went into property management on the side to have another income stream. It's definitely not all sunshine and rainbows like yourself and Jordan.

And I'm sick of 1 realtor keep cold calling me every year or so if my house is for sale, 12 years straight. I think some Indian family has a hardon for my house. It's always some Indian real estate agent. :rofl:

Originally posted by Super_Geo
With sales down so much from the peak, wouldn't the total pie of realtor commissions have shrunk considerably as well?

The pie can never sustain every realtors in town anyway. It's just get more competitive and usually more established players can weather it better, just like everything else in business.

JohnnyHockey
10-11-2016, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't suggest becoming realtors lol... For every Jordan there's about 10000 realtors that are starving not knowing when their next commission check is coming in...

msommers
10-11-2016, 10:37 AM
I feel like if I knew a lot of people with money well enough that being a realtor wouldn't be bad. I could then market myself as a high-end homes realtor.

It's all who you know.

speedog
10-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
I wouldn't suggest becoming realtors lol... For every Jordan there's about 10000 realtors that are starving not knowing when their next commission check is coming in...

Not sure if it would be 10,000 but it would still be a fair number
My Dad is still doing quite well in real estate by he's in multi-million commercial realty where deals often take longer than 6 months to put together.

RedDawn
10-11-2016, 01:12 PM
# of overall real estate transactions is down = less work per realtor, combined with a glut of realtors in general. I don't see now being a good time to get in.

I have no doubt I could support myself financially doing it, I've been staging houses and taking photos since I was 16. Letting the current cushy gov job combined with the fuel sales business run its course and see how my investment of time and money in those two fields pan out. If they are a dud, I'll make a career change in 2 years by either going back to school or into something with minimal retraining that lets me utilize my fantastic charisma and social skills :poosie:

:Rofl:

I personally believe any business opportunity requires a commitment of 5 years to be able to remotely evaluate its success. Technologist diploma worked so far (year 6), fuel business is looking promising (year 2, 100% year/year sales growth, looking to double if not triple next year).

RE agent may cut into my racing time, COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE ;)

It won't just cut into your racing time. Being a RE agent will cut into the last bit of respect anyone had for you.

Becoming an RE agent is basically announcing to the world that you're a moral less and selfish person. A type of person that's OK with supporting themselves by abusing a monopoly to scam the general public for over-priced commissions. The realtor commission structure is setup to encourage working against your own client while lying to them about how you're working in their best interest.

Realtors are pure trash.

G-ZUS
10-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by RedDawn

It won't just cut into your racing time. Being a RE agent will cut into the last bit of respect anyone had for you.

Becoming an RE agent is basically announcing to the world that you're a moral less and selfish person. A type of person that's OK with supporting themselves by abusing a monopoly to scam the general public for over-priced commissions. The realtor commission structure is setup to encourage working against your own client while lying to them about how you're working in their best interest.

Realtors are pure trash.

wow :drama:

killramos
10-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Did a real estate agent fuck your wife or something?

Care to share your occupation so we can all judge the ivory tower you seem to live on?

flipstah
10-11-2016, 01:36 PM
https://cdn-enterprise.discourse.org/turtlerock/uploads/default/original/3X/4/b/4b0a133829ed00c53ce3d450287742dda2b96198.gif

dandia89
10-11-2016, 01:51 PM
RedDawn has some serious resentment towards realtors, but I do think the MLS system is quite dysfunctional how it really puts the control with realtors. It's unfortunate, maybe there needs to be a rework in place

Xtrema
10-11-2016, 01:52 PM

Realtors are pure trash.

:facepalm: and :rofl:

mazdavirgin
10-11-2016, 02:08 PM
Abusing a monopoly to scam the general public for over-priced commissions. The realtor commission structure is setup to encourage working against your own client while lying to them about how you're working in their best interest.

The stuff I left behind is true though...

89coupe
10-11-2016, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I feel like if I knew a lot of people with money well enough that being a realtor wouldn't be bad. I could then market myself as a high-end homes realtor.

It's all who you know.

Honestly,

95% of my business has been from people I have never met before. Just have to get out there and meet people who are looking to buy or sell.

I think my success so far has been from not being shy, being extremely open and honest and offering everything that is available to market their property.

For buyers, I never rush or push them into a deal, always research each property they are interested in, and always try and get them the best deal possible.:dunno:

So far it has worked well.:)

Maxt
10-11-2016, 03:23 PM

I would agree with this

Another example is it it is way easier to buy a car than sell one. Same reasons... there is a lot involved in marketing & salesmanship when you sell, but when you buy, you generally already have a good idea of what you want.
In the time it took me to buy my last car , I could have probably sold all my other junk twice over.

speedog
10-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

wow :drama:

Yupp, quite a broad brush.

msommers
10-11-2016, 07:57 PM

Honestly,

95% of my business has been from people I have never met before. Just have to get out there and meet people who are looking to buy or sell.

I think my success so far has been from not being shy, being extremely open and honest and offering everything that is available to market their property.

For buyers, I never rush or push them into a deal, always research each property they are interested in, and always try and get them the best deal possible.:dunno:

Honestly glad to hear things are working out, B!

schurchill39
10-11-2016, 08:02 PM
:drama: :hijack:

blitz
10-11-2016, 08:05 PM

Honestly,

Plus you seem to be a way better human being since getting out of the O&G game :thumbsup:

mzdspd
10-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by dandia89
RedDawn has some serious resentment towards realtors, but I do think the MLS system is quite dysfunctional how it really puts the control with realtors. It's unfortunate, maybe there needs to be a rework in place

I think the rework is already starting to catch on.. Their is 2% realty when they just charge a flat 2% (1% to buyer agent and 1% to seller agent).

When I was shopping around, every traditional commission agent would tell me that the "2% agent would not represent me properly". Well I found that they were sufficient. They also told me that they are holding 17% of the MLS market which is very impressive for a 2-3 year old company. So I think that will be the future of Realtors. Because lets be honest, the market is all online on Realtor.ca and most people browse that site before they go shopping. So Sometimes the realtors get a big pay day for not a lot of work (Not always the case Obviously)

max_boost
10-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Not sure if it would be 10,000 but it would still be a fair number
My Dad is still doing quite well in real estate by he's in multi-million commercial realty where deals often take longer than 6 months to put together. your dad? What is he 88 and going

craigcd
10-12-2016, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by mzdspd

I think the rework is already starting to catch on.. Their is 2% realty when they just charge a flat 2% (1% to buyer agent and 1% to seller agent).

Is that actually the case? Everything I have read mentioned that there were additional costs in the end with 2% realty and in the end the costs were comparable to a normal brokerage?

speedog
10-12-2016, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
your dad? What is he 88 and going

Not yet but he has a number of long established relationships with large investors who will work pretty much only with him. The deals aren't 2 million dollar homes, much larger (forestry, hotels, ranches) and will sometimes take over a year to get done. He is starting to slow down the real estate stuff and certainly my uncle's passing has affected available time commitments.

schurchill39
10-12-2016, 07:40 AM
Gentlemen, do you mind if we branch off the realty talk into a different thread?

mzdspd
10-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by craigcd

Is that actually the case? Everything I have read mentioned that there were additional costs in the end with 2% realty and in the end the costs were comparable to a normal brokerage?

If your buyer is not using 2% agent then you pay the buyers agent the standard 3.5% and 1.5%.

So say 300K house.
Sellers agent gets 1% of 300K =3k
Buyers agent gets 3.5% of 100k + 1.5% of 200k = 3.5+3k= 6.5k
Total commission cost of 9,500$
vs
7% of 100k + 3% of 200k= 7k + 6k = 13,000

Still a savings of 3,000$

But yeah we can move this to a new topic if needed.

SCHIDER23
10-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Hmmm
Originally posted by schurchill39
Gentlemen, do you mind if we branch off the realty talk into a different thread? :werd: :werd: :hijack:

suntan
10-13-2016, 09:14 AM
More layoffs coming at wife's work.

Also they are now going to offer voluntary severance for the first time in Canada.

HiTempguy1
10-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by suntan

Also they are now going to offer voluntary severance for the first time in Canada.

I don't quite understand what you mean "voluntary severance"? And "for the first time" referring to that specific company?

Are you saying they are asking people if they want to be laid off?

I wouldn't say it is a common practice, but I've seen it before :dunno: Gets rid of the people who don't see a future with the company, encourages the old ones to retire.

killramos
10-13-2016, 09:51 AM
We had a fair number of people who put up their hands during our layoffs last month, people who had other opportunities taking a bit of cash to go quietly. "Retirements" during tough times are also the same thing and we have had a half dozen or so of those in the last 2 years.

I was given the option to stay or go, I assume I wasn't unique in that situation.

I don't think its really that uncommon its just not really something people talk about?

riander5
10-13-2016, 09:56 AM
We had a fair number of people who put up their hands during our layoffs last month, people who had other opportunities taking a bit of cash to go quietly. "Retirements" during tough times are also the same thing and we have had a half dozen or so of those in the last 2 years.

I was given the option to stay or go, I assume I wasn't unique in that situation.

I don't think its really that uncommon its just not really something people talk about?

Did you go

killramos
10-13-2016, 10:08 AM
I decided to continue collecting a paycheck

suntan
10-13-2016, 11:01 AM

I don't quite understand what you mean "voluntary severance"? And "for the first time" referring to that specific company?

Are you saying they are asking people if they want to be laid off?

I wouldn't say it is a common practice, but I've seen it before :dunno: Gets rid of the people who don't see a future with the company, encourages the old ones to retire. She works for a giant multinational, they have had layoffs in many countries, they have offered voluntary severance in some of these other countries and now they are offering it in Canada.

you&me
10-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by suntan
She works for a giant multinational, they have had layoffs in many countries, they have offered voluntary severance in some of these other countries and now they are offering it in Canada.

Whether or not this is your wife's "giant multinational", but I've heard Shell is / will be doing voluntary severance.

Xtrema
10-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Whether or not this is your wife's "giant multinational", but I've heard Shell is / will be doing voluntary severance.

That story matches as Shell has been doing that in UK and Netherlands.

But the package got to be excellent for Canadians to take it tho. Some are still on very sweet DB programs that probably won't let it go unless they are bridged in some way to get into the program.

bjstare
10-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Found out tmw is my last day.

Overall, not a huge surprise. I was flagged as a high potential, and as such was fortunate to have been thrown various forms of safety nets over the last year or so (while watching the company shrink rapidly), but alas no more safety net. Joining the jobless masses :clap: :rolleyes:

killramos
10-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Good luck with the prospects.

npham
10-13-2016, 04:12 PM

Overall, not a huge surprise. I was flagged as a high potential, and as such was fortunate to have been thrown various forms of safety nets over the last year or so (while watching the company shrink rapidly), but alas no more safety net. Joining the jobless masses :clap: :rolleyes:

That sucks man, sorry to hear it.

SCHIDER23
10-13-2016, 07:05 PM

I know your pain good luck:(

bjstare
10-13-2016, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm sure there are a lot of people worse off than I am... I don't have to be worried about making ends meet or anything. Just not thrilled about the idea of job hunting and being bored.

The upside to it, is I was looking to move to another company at some point in the relatively near future anyways, this just bumps up the schedule a bit. If I don't find anything soon, I'll probably get my MBA. :dunno:

finboy
10-14-2016, 05:49 AM
Education and retraining are great options, having been unemployed twice since 2014, the reaction I got from employers as "student" vs "job hunter" was night and day, I came out of sait with multiple opportunities.

killramos
10-14-2016, 06:51 AM
I don't find anything soon, I'll probably get my MBA. :dunno:

Awesome idea :thumbsup:

Feruk
10-14-2016, 07:53 AM

Sorry to hear that. Oil and gas producer?

bjstare
10-14-2016, 08:12 AM
^One of the major EPC companies.

gretz
10-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Just a heads up, our company is looking at bringing on a few more Journeyman Machinists / Welders for a large manufacturing project coming up... The ad will be up on Monday, if any Beyonder's want a head start, feel free to PM me

riander5
10-14-2016, 09:19 AM

I dont know if MBA's are as highly valued as they once were. Also obviously you were laid off but if at all possible id wait till you are re hired and try to get a company to help out.

That might not fit into your gameplan but worth consideration

suntan
10-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear about that cjblair.

Looks like my wife is going back to part-time. Part-time is being offered to all employees in my wife's area. Her and her boss were the only two to accept. Apparently her co-worker's finances are such that even going to 80% PT will bankrupt them.

bjstare
10-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by riander5

I dont know if MBA's are as highly valued as they once were. Also obviously you were laid off but if at all possible id wait till you are re hired and try to get a company to help out.

That might not fit into your gameplan but worth consideration

I think it goes without saying that they aren't as highly valued as they once were on paper, but literally every single MBA graduate I've spoken with has said the network they gained by doing an MBA was incredibly valuable. That's largely why I'm driven to pursue it.

killramos
10-14-2016, 10:41 AM
I have heard it is basically a necessity for upward movement still at some places. A friend of mine just signed up for an evening MBA and she said in her group, at a midstreamer, is all MBA's except her. So as such she is going to start it even before her P Eng.

Actually come to think of it most people I know at midstreamers have MBA's. Maybe just an odd circle of the people I know but still.

I really want to do mine just so I can make a bit of a 180 in my role, business roles have been easily the most I have ever enjoyed my work.

If anything it would be novel to work on something with a purpose for a while, could also open up the opportunity to work for a bank and increase prospects outside of O&G. Have also considered just taking the CFA exams due to cost and time commitment. Also valued at Banks for analyst roles with an engineering background.

suntan
10-14-2016, 11:00 AM
If your expertise is technical then understanding business is vital for upward movement.

dandia89
10-14-2016, 11:31 AM
If anything it would be novel to work on something with a purpose for a while, could also open up the opportunity to work for a bank and increase prospects outside of O&G. Have also considered just taking the CFA exams due to cost and time commitment. Also valued at Banks for analyst roles with an engineering background.

Can anyone else chime in here? I'm interested in a CFA, but as an engineer working in project management/design, I don't see it complimenting my current skill sets.

SkiBum5.0
10-14-2016, 11:50 AM
I have heard it is basically a necessity for upward movement still at some places. A friend of mine just signed up for an evening MBA and she said in her group, at a midstreamer, is all MBA's except her. So as such she is going to start it even before her P Eng.

Actually come to think of it most people I know at midstreamers have MBA's. Maybe just an odd circle of the people I know but still.

I really want to do mine just so I can make a bit of a 180 in my role, business roles have been easily the most I have ever enjoyed my work.

How many of those people have more than 3-5 years business experience? I think the reason the MBA is becoming less valuable is the number of people taking it so early after undergrad.

argent
10-14-2016, 11:58 AM
I second this - I find it unfortunate people consider taking MBA straight from school, with all the accelerate options, or pushing the bare min. 2 years for most MBA schools. The value you get would be much lower, in my opinion.

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

How many of those people have more than 3-5 years business experience? I think the reason the MBA is becoming less valuable is the number of people taking it so early after undergrad.