PDA

View Full Version : ITIL training, how important is it, worth it?

spikerS
10-05-2016, 07:11 PM
So, I have taken the ITIL foundations V3 course, and passed it easily enough. I am now doing the ITIL Service Operations: Service Lifecycle course at the intermediate stage and about to write the exam tomorrow.

I am just curious, is this a valuable add to my portfolio to companies and a good thing to have on the resume? I know in the past sometimes these kind of courses were in high demand (almost name your wage) like the microsoft certification in the late 90s and early '00s.

I don't mind doing the courses as my employer is paying for them, and they sure as hell are not cheap, but how far along the ITIL path should I pursue? I don't think it is worth it to get to the master level, as I have no real intention to teach it, but which of the modules are worth having under my belt, or is it even worth going any further after this?

Thoughts?

firebane
10-05-2016, 07:30 PM
ITIL Foundations v3 is going to be more worth it than any of the other courses unless you pursue a career in that soft of thing.

I just did my ITIL which plays heavily into the environment I work at but to be honest it was $250 that I probably could have saved.

It did give me a better insight into how things work in the environment at work but I don't think its worth as much as others say.

spikerS
10-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by firebane
ITIL Foundations v3 is going to be more worth it than any of the other courses unless you pursue a career in that soft of thing.

I just did my ITIL which plays heavily into the environment I work at but to be honest it was $250 that I probably could have saved.

It did give me a better insight into how things work in the environment at work but I don't think its worth as much as others say.

man, $250!?! I think we paid about $3k for that as we did the 3 day instructor led course.

The course I am doing now is a 4 day one, at a cost of $4.5k instructor led.

firebane
10-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

man, $250!?! I think we paid about $3k for that as we did the 3 day instructor led course.

The course I am doing now is a 4 day one, at a cost of $4.5k instructor led.

Yeah if you do the self learning and proctor course its only $250. Mind you this doesn't provide you with much training materials but I had a friend let me borrow his CBT Nuggets and I found a few other things so that helped.

May I ask why you are pursuing it? I didn't think you were much into the IT stuff?

spikerS
10-05-2016, 08:34 PM
my role is critical incident management, so I get involved and take over when something goes really, REALLY wrong, when the impact to the business and customers reaches a certain clip level.

So, when a critical incident takes place, I take charge and lead all teams internally, externally, and vendors to drive resolution of the incident, effectively reducing TTR, impact, and lost revenue and helping to maintain SLAs.

So knowing this is right in my wheel house and so is a good thing to have working knowledge of.

Xtrema
10-05-2016, 09:16 PM
If you are operating IT servicing 1000+ seats, having ITIL is an asset. Especially if they value incident/change management.

I don't think it's name your price valuable but it's more likely that it may help you advance compared to someone without. At least it's a soft skill that doesn't expire compared to tech skills that certification is meaningless in 2-3 years.

The problem I find in IT certification is that most are meaningless. Especially in today's age of search engines. If you are willing to spend the time to read, you can learn almost any practices.

spikerS
10-05-2016, 10:30 PM
That kinda the way i am leaning too. I will use it to leverage a nice raise, and I figure it would be a good thing to have should I decide to look for a new job in the future, or if I get laid off.

colsankey
10-05-2016, 11:18 PM
Spikers, mind sharing where you work?

I do something very similair at CP.

Several people did ITIL here, and i found its been most helpful for setting up a common language, so people. can understand each other internally, and between diffrent groups. Ive also seen ITIL on a few job postings as a usefull skill, but never as a required one.

spikerS
10-05-2016, 11:21 PM
I will have been at TELUS for 10 years as of Oct 31st.