PDA

View Full Version : Installing a subwoofer or three into a home system that's built into the ceilings etc

CUG
10-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Hi Beyond,

I just bought a home and have a stereo system that's built into the house. Problem is that it doesn't have any low end. I want to put either one big subwoofer in, or a few smaller ones around the house. Does anyone recommend any particular way of doing this retrofit?

lamp_shade_2000
10-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Is this for music or home theatre? Where is the amp for the system relative to where you want the sub? What kind of components are you currently using to power the rest of the speakers?

CUG
10-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
Is this for music or home theatre? Where is the amp for the system relative to where you want the sub? What kind of components are you currently using to power the rest of the speakers?

Music only and on the main floor. Amp is in the mud room/pantry area (part of the problem) and is off of the garage. The rest of the house has speakers in the kitchen, dining, living, office, mbr, and master bath. I currently have a sub above the amp cabinet that delivers only to the kitchen.

lamp_shade_2000
10-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Without running new cables to where you want the subs to be placed, best I could suggest would be wireless subwoofers. A system like sonos has their own wireless subs but you would need to have sonos components already driving the speakers. There are other wireless subs out there though.

lamp_shade_2000
10-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Ive never tried this product but perhaps it could work to convert a wired sub to wireless.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-universal-wireless-subwoofer-kit-rf-wsw312-rf-wsw312/10247709.aspx?path=76b3713af71b936e6ba0e6f72be0648den02

spike98
10-06-2016, 03:26 PM
The rocketfish device is likely your best bet. How is the music getting to the rest of the system?

I added subs to my whole home audit with chromecast audio's but i built it on that system.

Mitsu3000gt
10-06-2016, 04:32 PM
Almost every sub is self powered, so I would just get a wireless sub adapter or a wireless capable sub. Calibrating the system afterwards should take care of any delay.

Sonos subs are overpriced and they aren't great (they don't want people to know detailed specs so they don't publish them), I would get a 'real' sub. If you don't really care and just want some bass, anything will work and then just add a wireless transmitter. Companies like Paradigm make some excellent, high bang for the buck wireless capable subs if you want something a little nicer, just as one example.

rage2
10-06-2016, 04:36 PM
In wall subwoofer, wireless conversion. Done.

CUG
10-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
Ive never tried this product but perhaps it could work to convert a wired sub to wireless.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-universal-wireless-subwoofer-kit-rf-wsw312-rf-wsw312/10247709.aspx?path=76b3713af71b936e6ba0e6f72be0648den02
That looks great. Only concern is the concrete and distance between the amplifier and the sub.

Originally posted by rage2
In wall subwoofer, wireless conversion. Done.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Almost every sub is self powered, so I would just get a wireless sub adapter or a wireless capable sub. Calibrating the system afterwards should take care of any delay.

Sonos subs are overpriced and they aren't great (they don't want people to know detailed specs so they don't publish them), I would get a 'real' sub. If you don't really care and just want some bass, anything will work and then just add a wireless transmitter. Companies like Paradigm make some excellent, high bang for the buck wireless capable subs if you want something a little nicer, just as one example. I have a single 12" JBL right now that slammed in our smaller house. Might look for something in the 15" range with bigger power.

I appreciate the information. Didn't know you could basically bluetooth everything.

spike98
10-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by CUG

That looks great. Only concern is the concrete and distance between the amplifier and the sub.

I have a single 12" JBL right now that slammed in our smaller house. Might look for something in the 15" range with bigger power.

I appreciate the information. Didn't know you could basically bluetooth everything.

Careful with just jumping into a 15". Its not just the cone size, its the total air displacement that will drive how "loud" it is. I have seen 10" high excusion subs out preform many 15's. Bigger woofers get lower but also need a lot of power to run them. I would get a high powered 12 or dual 10 before a 15 any day.