PDA

View Full Version : Roof rack/ box

redline
10-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Where is the best place to buy a roof rack / box for a x5?.

Need it too be big enough to take skies and luggage.

J-hop
10-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Do you have factory crossbars already?

I've been please with the service from racks unlimited.

redline
10-09-2016, 02:32 PM
I don't even have the x5 yet...

I have researching options between Oem bars and whisper bars.

First time I have looked into this, so it's all new to me.

wintonyk
10-09-2016, 05:03 PM
i bought my stuff from racks unlimited, they were great. Helped me identify exactly what my wants/needs were and play out the best options.

Lustypad
10-09-2016, 09:53 PM
+1 for racks unlimited, went to the one off macleod near glemore. Got something different than what I went for but ended up being nicer than what I had chosen.

vengie
10-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Honestly, look on kijiji, I just picked up a very gently used sport rack for $250 (retail $700).

Tons of them out there used.

redline
10-10-2016, 08:39 AM
I was just looking on Kijiji and their seems to be a lot the that say cracks and holes.... do these last or are these the guys that don't take car of their stuff?

I definitely need to go to store to get educated on these things so I know what to look for and what I need.

Cause with a kid and two big dogs the SUV does seem as big as it used to... leaving with a need for more space.

J-hop
10-10-2016, 02:25 PM
No doubt. We put one on our Impreza and it made all the difference. Used to feel like a clown car when we went skiing in the winter.

Minimalist
10-10-2016, 06:14 PM
I was looking for a cargo roof box during the summer, gathered some good opinions from here:

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/03/19/best-roof-mount-cargo-boxes/

Once you have a cargo roof box, it is hard to imagine being without. I'd like to get a garage storage system in place this winter.

viff3r
10-14-2016, 01:08 PM
1. go to rackattack.com and use their tool to figure out what your base rack options are. Pick the ones that best suit your needs.
2. search youtube for installation videos to get familiar with the racks.
3. search kijiji for deals, having learned exactly what to look for.

If you spend the time & effort to fully research your options, you can easily pay less than half the cost of new. Following the method above, I bought $1000 worth of rack gear for $350. I also found there to be plenty of postings for base systems, racks, etc. I drive an older car so I didn't mind the fact my crossbars are hacked to shit by the previous owner, the $$$ savings were worth it. YMMV on a ballin' X5.

If you don't mind spending the cash and want somebody to provide expertise, Racks Unlimited is definitely the place to go. I also had a good experience at Hitch Experts in Crowfoot, when I had to buy a couple model-specific components for my rack.

r3ccOs
10-15-2016, 12:04 PM
Stick with either Thule or Yakima or whom they oem for. My yak has been on 4 cars now

redline
11-17-2016, 08:45 PM
I bought a Thule Hyper XL off Kijiji and got a hell of good deal... thanks for all your help guys