PDA

View Full Version : Home Water leak and damage

visualk
10-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Hi, I am looking for any recommendations from beyond members on contractors they have used to fix and repair a water leak on a house.

A little bit of background - the water leak we have is coming from the side of the house which has brick on the exterior. My hunch is the brick has lost it seal over time as this is an old property (about 30 yrs old) and there is no water pipes in the vicinity. Over the summer with all the rainfall we noticed the drywall was getting soft to touch and had someone come in and tear out the drywall and insulation. We discovered that the 2x4 were water damaged as well as the interior wood panel (basically flaking away). The amount of water is small but looks like this was happening over a long period of time.

I have searched on this site and tried to reach out to some of the OP that had a similar issue but did not hear back (these posts were pretty old). Anyways hoping any of you guys could help. Luckily there hasn't been any mold growth yet.

visualk
11-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Bump - any one know of any reputable contractors that could do this work?

Minimalist
11-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Home water leaks can be rather complex as there are many things at play here.

When I had a leak from the roof (my guess) showing up as a small stain on the ceiling my first call was to my insurance company. They sent out two experts at the same time, one (engineer) had an expensive special monitor to detect heat and moisture through a viewfinder and the other guy was an expert in home construction should we need to go forward on repairs. They were here for two hours.

Have you called your insurance company?