PDA

View Full Version : BMW CEL with no Service Message

killramos
10-15-2016, 09:14 PM
So a cel came on on my car this afternoon, stuck around after shutting it off for a few hours as well.

Thing is the car isn't giving me any service messages, it's not usually shy about saying when something is wrong. Checking the statuses manually returns "all systems ok". Oil level check is good. No services due for 4+months. Checked fuel cap, was screwed on tight.

No limp mode, no sounds.

Being cautious I parked it but I am curious if anyone else has seen this before and can put my mind to ease. I'll take it on for a scan on Monday regardless but I figured I would see what was up on here since I can't take it in tomorrow.

TIA

JustinMCS
10-15-2016, 10:12 PM
It's because there are 3 types of codes bmws throw. One is the cel on dash and nothing will show on Idrive. Then you have bmw shadow codes that wont show on dash or Idrive. Then you have bmw specific codes that show in Idrive and cel won't be on.

Cel can be read by most code readers/scanners. Bmw shadow and Idrive codes can only be read by bmw specific tools like dealer equip, inpa, mhd, Carly etc.

Just take it to bmw. It could have been a misfire, sensor is broken, etc.

killramos
10-16-2016, 08:10 AM
Fair enough, seems like a stupid thing to not bother showing in the idrive considering the system is already in place but whatever. I'll get it checked out tomorrow. Worst case I get to drive a 5 series around for a couple days lol.

Sugarphreak
10-16-2016, 03:25 PM

shakalaka
10-17-2016, 12:01 AM
On my X5M same thing happened. Nothing in idrive but engine light was on. Anyway, needless to say there was 4-5 different issues with it and one of the things that was done was the replacement of injectors (recall). Another was turbo not working properly or something. There were some others errors too. Take it in, once they scan it you will get a better idea.

killramos
10-17-2016, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
You just haven't been posting enough lately... so your Check Ego Light came on. Standard BMW equipment. :D

Well I think that goes without saying, there is an iDrive message for that every time you turn on the car, come one :rolleyes:

Originally posted by shakalaka
On my X5M same thing happened. Nothing in idrive but engine light was on. Anyway, needless to say there was 4-5 different issues with it and one of the things that was done was the replacement of injectors (recall). Another was turbo not working properly or something. There were some others errors too. Take it in, once they scan it you will get a better idea.

Brilliant... Gonna take it in after work. Maybe this time they will believe me when i tell them the fuel pump is recalled and not tell me " Oh just put 89 octane in it instead ":banghead: . People wonder why I insist on documenting every concern.

Hilariously the more I dig the more ridiculous this gets. The CEL isn't even mentioned a single time in the manual. If you check the list of dashboard notification symbols, its not even there.

When it happened i had to ask a buddy who was in the car with me, like fuck. That's a check engine light right?

wtf :rofl:

killramos
10-17-2016, 10:48 AM
So apparently orange CEL means "caution", still needs to be scanned but they won't for a week ( dealer is full of people getting winter tires lol ):rolleyes:

Red CEL is tow to dealership.

Car probably just misfired once during cold start.

Might have been a helpful hint to put in the manual.

shakalaka
10-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Yea they ask you if it's having any noticeable issues in driving, if no they aren't in huge rush.

Which BMW will you be going to? I got a good service guy at Calgary BMW if you want his contact.

killramos
10-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Calgary yea, I'm booked in for next week so I'm sure I am already assigned someone. Pass on the name if you like though

shakalaka
10-17-2016, 11:38 AM
All good then. :D