PDA

View Full Version : Skis for my Girlfriend

Neil4Speed
10-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Hey Guys,

My Girlfriend wants to get to the mountains Skiing with me this winter which I am obviously pumped about. She has rented in the past with decent experiences but now wants to get her own (largely for the convenience of being able to just pack up and go out without having to rent en route or on the hill).

When I bought my ski's I pretty much went to Sports Chek on Boxing day and bought the best special they had on something decent.

It worked out pretty well for me, but I'd rather try a more educated approach for her, but don't even know where to get started on what kind to get. We would be at best around a blue skiers, with limited motivation to be crushing black's regularly. Something beginner/intermediate.

Any ideas on where to start? Looking for a cost effective option to get her into it.

ercchry
10-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Most cost effective would probably be kijiji, lots of barely used sporting goods on there... too bad this wasn't last week though as the new sporting life in south centre just had a grand opening sale.

For education you could try a specialty store like ski west or the ski cellar... but for the skill level and lack of enthusiasm to take it further I'd say just stick to the Black Friday/Boxing Day sales for the actual purchase. For one to appreciate the top level equipment one first must be experienced in using the subpar gear. I'd personally just focus on getting really good fitting and comfortable boots and leave the rest up to the sales

C_Dave45
10-17-2016, 10:38 AM
I've never been, so I don't know how good it is, other than it's pretty big.
The annual Max Bell Ski Show is this week.

http://www.skisale.ca/

msommers
10-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Skis and bindings I would go Kijiji if she's ok with used. Boots I doubt she would even want used lol.

asp integra
10-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Boots go new, you never want to go with a used boot.
i would also say check out the max bell ski sale and look for a mid fat ski ~85-90 ish mm underfoot. There should be plenty to choose from.

SOAB
10-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
I've never been, so I don't know how good it is, other than it's pretty big.
The annual Max Bell Ski Show is this week.

http://www.skisale.ca/

bastards want $8 for me to walk in there. :thumbsdow

was thinking about checking it out to find some newer skis for my 5 year old...

darthVWader
10-17-2016, 11:25 AM
I've had good luck using Level Nine

https://www.levelninesports.com/ski/skis?gclid=CNSfvM6t4s8CFQ2KfgodEYwDHg

Neil4Speed
10-17-2016, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys, I figure I'll maybe try the sport chek approach as well. There doesn't seem to be a massive saving to buying new vs a very good sale (ie. Boxing day).

Appreciate all the help!

g-m
10-17-2016, 05:14 PM
Max Bell. Sounds like neither of you know what skis you like so I'd get something soft and shorter with that 85-90mm underfoot and it you hate them, go back next year and get something different. No point getting new at your level imo.

I did pretty much exactly that with an ex and it turned out that even though she was super beginner and not confident she liked the women's mantras way more than something shorter and softer. I would never have guessed it.