PDA

View Full Version : Shipping vehicle from Canada to Europe

zipdoa
10-22-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm thinking of living in France for a couple of years, and I like the idea of bringing my HDJ81 and Supermoto along with me. I have French citizenship and I have a rough idea of shipping methods and costs, but I was wondering if anyone has done this before and what sort of paperwork is involved?

Would I be able to keep AB plates and insurance? Or would it make more sense to register the vehicles in France?

Pics for general idea:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/d2/fc/80d2fce98e5daea0a8eabf794c042a20.jpg

KPHMPH
10-22-2016, 01:33 PM
Maybe message that guy who went to Africa with that Decked out Jeep?

bart
10-22-2016, 02:09 PM
you can only keep AB plates in the EU for 6 months officially... canadian insurance doesnt work in europe, you can purchase liability insurance for tourists there

cheapest way is RoRo from tacoma to southampton, Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics

zipdoa
10-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by bart
you can only keep AB plates in the EU for 6 months officially... canadian insurance doesnt work in europe, you can purchase liability insurance for tourists there

Tacoma, WA? Wouldn't leaving from the East Coast be a more direct route?

jacky4566
10-26-2016, 10:05 AM

Tacoma is the closest W2 port. But i think it would be cheaper to leave from Baltimore, That is W2's main hub.

bart
10-26-2016, 03:59 PM
sure but tacoma is a few hours drive away, shipping car to baltimore or driving there seems more expensive, but then i guess perhaps the boat cost can offset that

anyway i did tacoma

jacky4566
10-26-2016, 04:10 PM
sure but tacoma is a few hours drive away, shipping car to baltimore or driving there seems more expensive, but then i guess perhaps the boat cost can offset that

anyway i did tacoma
True. Just based on his kickass rig, zipdoa seems like the kinda guy who would drive to Baltimore just for the adventure.

zipdoa
10-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566

True. Just based on his kickass rig, zipdoa seems like the kinda guy who would drive to Baltimore just for the adventure.

I'd go visit Maryland and find the projects from 'The Wire'.

Also - compressing fuel makes for cheaper journeys, so the drive might end up being worth it.

The big if-maybe is getting the car registered in France (crazy bureaucracy) and finding work in France. Not sure the journey would be worth it if I only end up staying 6-months.

soloracer
10-31-2016, 09:14 PM
I know someone who bought a race car in England. Turned out going air freight was not much different than shipping on the water. Something to consider.

theo27
04-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Hi there,
I know this thread is old but i would like your help !!
I am planning to send my car from tacoma to belgium by RORO.
I have a quote from wallenius logistics and i contacted sound brokerage for the booking and they told me i had to use a bonded carrier to transport my car through the US since i am living in Canada ( Vancouver). The bonded carrier( canuck towing) quoted me the shipping from vancouver to tacoma for almost the same price as the RORO !!!! Too expensive:nut:

I would like to know if some of you have experienced it (like zipdoa for example) and could give me a feedback. I expected drive my car to tacoma, park it on the boat and pick it up in belgium, seems like it is not as easy ...

Thanks a lot for your help !