PDA

View Full Version : 4dr Acura tried to run me off the road!

schurchill39
10-25-2016, 02:51 AM
On the evening of October 14th my wife and I were driving north bound on Deerfoot around McKenzie town. The car in the right lane was driving around 95, the one in the center lane not much faster (maybe 98ish) so I was in the left lane passing at around 105. I had been in that lane for > 15 seconds as the road was fairly dead and no one was really around.

Out of nowhere a black or dark blue four door newer model (2008+) Acura sedan comes flying up behind us and laid on his horn. He had to be doing over 160 because he came up FAST. He must have only been a couple feet from my bumper because I could only see the drivers head in my rear view mirror and my truck is stock height. I stayed at my 105 and once I was a safe distance in front of the car in the center lane and was going to pull over to let the douche canoe pass he flies out into the center lane then immediately cuts in front of me and slams on his brakes. If I didn't slam on my brakes I would have smoked his rear quarter panel. In hindsight I probably should have (had the wife not been with me).

Thankfully I was far enough in front of the car in the center lane that when I swerved to avoid the collision there was no one beside me. The guy then hauled ass away but thankfully enough people saw what he did that they boxed him in so I could eventually catch up and get his license plate number. I called 911 as soon as I got it. He eventually wiggled free from everyone and took off again going well over 160kph

Alberta plate DET 350. It was a white guy in his mid 30's driving. He didn't look at us when he passed on the right before he cut us off but my wife got a good look at him. I have never in my life been cut off and brake checked so hard. It scared the living shit out of me and my wife had a full blown panic attack. Especially because it was unprovoked. One second we were driving with the cruise control on talking about a friend's new kid and the next I'm locking up my tires trying to avoid hitting this douche bag.

jwslam
10-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Remind me to get a dash cam.
probably best to get 2 cams and GPS

rage2
10-25-2016, 08:03 AM
This happens to me on Crowchild regularly at night, especially after hockey games. If I'm in the fast lane, I just speed up temporarily, pass who I need to, and get out of the way to avoid escalating the situation.

Disoblige
10-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by rage2
This happens to me on Crowchild regularly at night, especially after hockey games. If I'm in the fast lane, I just speed up temporarily, pass who I need to, and get out of the way to avoid escalating the situation.
:werd:

Hopefully others have also reported him as he probably has done this in the past.

rage2
10-25-2016, 08:47 AM
I have no idea what the traffic flow is on Deerfoot down south, but 3 cars blocking 3 lanes at roughly the speed limit is a recipe for disaster when approached by an aggressive driver.

On Crowchild, where traffic flows at around 100 in an 80 zone, you can see the frustration of drivers when 3 cars block 3 lanes at 80, which happens all the time during rush hour.

tonytiger55
10-25-2016, 08:52 AM
I've had similar problems in the past. At one point I was nearly run off the road on Deerfoot.
I bought a dash cam. Since then it has recorded a few near misses with drivers being blatantly negligent.
But it gives a peace of mind and only cost me just a little over $80.

Xtrema
10-25-2016, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
... I stayed at my 105..

I would do 110 or 115 and get out of his way ASAP if he's coming up that fast.

If there is a cop near by, they will be going after him instead of you. And 15 over on Deerfoot is pretty normal anyway.

jwslam
10-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by tonytiger55
I bought a dash cam. Since then it has recorded a few near misses with drivers being blatantly negligent.
Do you actually do anything with this footage?

phreezee
10-25-2016, 09:18 AM
I'm of the opinion that I don't give a f*ck how fast you were going, get the f*ck out of the way and you won't have any problems.

He wants to get somewhere fast, and you want to avoid confrontations. I think you both achieve your goals by getting out of the way.

WIN:WIN situation.

88CRX
10-25-2016, 09:24 AM
I’m not sure WTF is up with drivers in this City lately. In the past week I’ve had by far the two closest near accident misses in 15 years of driving.

Deerfoot southbound (in rush hour, so there are cars everywhere) and a car decides to roll over into the fast lane, with no blinker or warning, causing me to swerve off the road. Must have been within inches of getting half my car sideswiped. Not even in their blind spot, I feel like the driver could have seen the front end of my car if they had even casually glanced over out of the corner of their eyes, we were almost parallel! Lay on the horn and they continue over into the lane and keep trucking along like nothing happened.

And Deerfoot south to Glenmore east the next day, I’m in the merge lane getting off into Deerfoot Meadows and some yahoo decides to again come over into me. Luckily he used his blinker so I lay on the horn (and slam on the brakes) and what does he do, continues into the lane and then waves to thank me. Fuck I wanted to pit maneuver him off the road.

spikerS
10-25-2016, 09:39 AM
I pass cops on deerfoot all the time while doing 120 in the fast lane.

Baygirl on the other hand gets tickets at 137 dropped to 125...:rofl:

reijo
10-25-2016, 11:33 AM
You can't do anything about the reaction of the other "guy" ... heck, maybe he's having a bad day ... in a hurry to a hospital .... or just whatever.

I admit I have sometimes been caught in the left lane for whatever reason ... usually just relaxing a bit too much at the wheel (sorry if I have done that to anyone, btw!...It is not intentional. :) ) and not paying enough attention to traffic around me (e.g. not checking my rear-view mirror etc.) ... maybe during a quiet time on the road or even in traffic.

However what we (including me) can do collectively is to treat the left lane as a passing lane and when you get there, look behind you (e.g. be attentive ... not on cruise, talking, generally not paying attention), and get out of the way, out of the passing lane, as quickly as you can within reason (no need to floor it etc. imho).

My dad used to call it being courteous......(to get out of the way of others).

So, let's be courteous.

Also, let's be courteous to the others who don't immediately get out of the way ... could be an honest mistake. :)

Cheers,

Reijo

tonytiger55
10-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Do you actually do anything with this footage?

No. There will always be people driving like mad on the road. You don't know their story.
My own reason for the the dash cam is for self preservation. If in the event I am involved in a accident it does not descend into a he said she said argument. There is clear footage for the insurance company or police.
The dash cam also comes on for a few seconds if the vehicle is knocked while parked.

revelations
10-25-2016, 12:48 PM
When other motorists' end up boxing in this clown you know it was bad.

Definitely get a dash cam.

schurchill39
10-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by revelations
When other motorists' end up boxing in this clown you know it was bad.

Definitely get a dash cam.

Yea I am going to look into getting one for the wife and one for myself a little more seriously now. Suggestions?

I agree, I could have hammered on it to get out of the dudes way faster, but it happened so quickly that there might have been a 1 Mississippi gain over what happened. No one was around when I initially signaled to pass on the left and I was already doing 10kph faster than the guy I was passing so there was no immediate rush to hammer on it to 120+ to go around him. I'm totally estimating on how fast the guy came up on me I just know that one second no one was behind me the next second dick-bag McGee was there.

rx7boi
10-25-2016, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I try to do this too but it's all subjective.

Sometimes I get stuck behind people who take their sweet time before they move into a slower lane.

Other times I'm already hauling 100km on Crowchild and if I get pressured to go any faster, you bet I'll be the first to get a ticket.

Either way, I move over since it's a second of my time and I have no idea if buddy is in a hurry to get someplace cause of an emergency.

JohnnyHockey
10-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Let me get the straight...you're in the left lane going 105 with the cruise control on? If that's true then you clearly aren't in that lane to pass someone...

revelations
10-25-2016, 02:31 PM

Yea I am going to look into getting one for the wife and one for myself a little more seriously now. Suggestions?

We have 4 vehicles and 2 dont go out at night very much - so they have lower quality cameras (see fine in the daytime, but not so much at night). Cost for the lower end cameras was 30$ and they have done fine.

I wouldnt spend over 100$ for a camera personally, I dont need GPS etc. A good CL10 SD card is a must though - do NOT cheap out on those.

cloud7
10-25-2016, 03:06 PM
This kind of things happen quite often on Deerfoot. A few months ago, on one of the cross streets before Deerfoot, another car wanted to cut over to the lane I was on. I was completely right next to the other car and there was no other car behind me. I honked when she squeezed me but it was clear the other driver knew I was there treated it as a game of chicken and kept coming into my lane so had to I back off. It didn't end there. We got onto Deerfoot and I somehow got in front of her and then she kept speeding up trying to cut in front and brake check me. Every time that happened I quickly switched to another available lane as I could see what was coming and I just wanted to get the hell out of the that situation and get to my meeting on time. That happened a few times before I was able to put a few cars between us and made for an exit to ensure she doesn't follow me. It was obvious that the driver did not have a lot of skill but was very aggressive at the same time. There are a lot of crazy people out there.

tonytiger55
10-25-2016, 04:27 PM

I got the G1W. Takes a while to come when ordered from afar.

http://www.banggood.com/Full-HD1080P-G1WH-LCD-Car-DVR-Recorder-G-sensor-Novatek-NT96650-p-916394.html

Don't cheap out on the memory card. Get one with a fast write speed.
It plugs into the lighter (I have mine plugged from the back end of my SUV). It comes on automatically when you start the vehicle or if it detects motion (i.e closing the car door, or car being bumped). One downside, once the memory card is full you have to manually format it through the menu. But only takes a few seconds. Instructions come in Russian.

I can't vouch for this one, but others have recommended http://www.ojocam.com/

JohnnyHockey
10-25-2016, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
This kind of things happen quite often on Deerfoot. A few months ago, on one of the cross streets before Deerfoot, another car wanted to cut over to the lane I was on. I was completely right next to the other car and there was no other car behind me. I honked when she squeezed me but it was clear the other driver knew I was there treated it as a game of chicken and kept coming into my lane so had to I back off. It didn't end there. We got onto Deerfoot and I somehow got in front of her and then she kept speeding up trying to cut in front and brake check me. Every time that happened I quickly switched to another available lane as I could see what was coming and I just wanted to get the hell out of the that situation and get to my meeting on time. That happened a few times before I was able to put a few cars between us and made for an exit to ensure she doesn't follow me. It was obvious that the driver did not have a lot of skill but was very aggressive at the same time. There are a lot of crazy people out there.

Sounds more like you weren't letting someone change lanes in front of you :rolleyes:

max_boost
10-25-2016, 07:27 PM
defensive driving ftw

i use to get super annoyed at this stuff but now i don't even care lol i guess i should exercise my civic duty and call it in but i don't do that either. you can see it unfolding so treat it like survival and survive haha
:D